Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 153153 times)

hats

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2009, 08:56:27 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird
Thank you, hats

Hi Pat,

Yes, I changed my email. I posted in here now. I hope those who want it can find it. It's good to hear from all of you again. I have a notebook to write down all these wonderful suggestions.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2009, 09:24:06 AM »
Hi Hats,  it's great to see you here.

Steph

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2009, 10:07:44 AM »
The Shaker books are really good. I read them a few years back and loved them. Then when we were oout in the rv, we stopped and spent the day at Pleasant Hill in Kentucky. It is a fully restored shaker village and lovely beyond belief. It seems to have peace and contentment bred in the bone..
Jodi Picoult.. I read one at a time.. Some I really like, but others drive me to throwing the book.. My Sisters Keeper made me furious. Darn it all..The wrong person survived.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

hats

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2009, 10:39:25 AM »
About "My Sister's Keeper," that ending shocked me and made me mad too. The ending didn't fit.

Gumtree

« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »
HELLO HATS !!!

Isn't it great to be back again and talking books....Dreams from My Father is on my to read list but don't know when I'll get to it...so many titles waiting...luxury
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2009, 11:05:08 AM »
Hi Hats good to see you here. I have found another Jodi Picoult here its called Perfect Match. I have 5 different book shelves and I usually find something I am looking for.
Hope you all have a great day and spend time in senior learn.
I myself am leaving for what will be a hard day. 5 new inches of snow last night and now raining with snow suipposed to come back. I have to plow into a horse ranch and take Em and Ed to be groomed then about 20 miles to work, pick it up and go do it then pick up Ed And Em and then go pick up a lady in Bellelvue and take her to the doctor. Yikes that looks like a lot I'd better be going.

Phyll

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2009, 12:04:28 PM »
I just finished reading "Death of A Winter Shaker" by Deborah Woodworth. It's the first in a series.

What an intriguing title, Hats!  I'll have to look it up in my library catalog.  Which Shaker community does she write about?

So glad you have joined us here in this wonderful place.  All the old friends with their book evaluations that I enjoy so much are gathering now.  My world is back in place where it should be.
phyllis

joyous

« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2009, 12:41:52 PM »

So glad that I am no longer a guest.  Had a hard time remembering my stats and may have to change (?) soon as I am abandoning Dial-Up ,
and going to AT&T, with AOL as Homepage, at no cost?  This was all arranged as a gift from 3 of my girls for Christmas, and I know absolutely nothing about technical stuff.  The main reason I have not gone sooner away from Dial-Up was because I did not want to change
e-mail, etc., but daughters say I can keep the same.??????
JOY

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »
Welcome Joy we are glad you are no longer a guest. Welcome to Fiction Old and New. We have good times here while discussing what books we are reading and our opinion of them. As this group grows so does our lists of things to read.
I went to my book store yesterday-------forgot the list. I think thats why I don't make lists.

Joy isn't it wonderful to have daughters too look out for you and keep you up to date. I wouldn't even have gotten into the computer world at all if my daughter hadn't sent me a computer. Can't count how many I've had since then.

mabel1015j

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
Hi Hats!

I'm sure i have read some Jodi Picoult in the far past, but i don't have her in my list of "read" books. I've now put her on my TBR list. And you've all convinced me to get "The Guernsey Literary............" you make it sound so enjoyable.

Isn't is amazing how much we all have enjoyed the book discussions and missed them so much. Who would have tho't that a group of people who have never met in person could feel as tho we know each other very well and miss each other so much????..................jean

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 02:46:15 PM »
Isn't is amazing how much we all have enjoyed the book discussions and missed them so much. Who would have tho't that a group of people who have never met in person could feel as tho we know each other very well and miss each other so much?..................jean 

So well said Jean. That was the feeling in 1998 when about 15 of us traveled from all over the U.S. to meet in NY for a gathering of books. What fun on the first morning at breakfast and people were all introducing each other. What fun to put the face to the person you had been reading their posts for months.
Never forget this lady says My name is Ann Alden, someone else said her husband is in the hospital. I turned around and said YOUR HUSBAND IS IN THE HOSPITAL??? She says he'll be getting better care there. She was my hero from that day on.Ella says when he's ready to get out my husband will take him home.
Those were GOOD days.

hats

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »
Hi GumTree, Pedln and all,

The Shaker community, if I remember correctly is in Ohio. It's a good mystery. More than that the book gives a lot of details about the life of the Shakers: the simple life, the work with their hands, herbal knowledge, etc. Most interesting to me is the fact that they hang their chairs on the wall. The community lives with high purposes. It's a way of life.

hats

« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 06:43:53 PM »
Hi Judy and Mabel, Jean and all the new friends too.

I missed all of you. Excuse my eyes if I miss any names.

Hi Phyll,

Yes, "Death of A Winter Shaker" is a mysterious title too. The title is more about the Shakers life.

Steph,

I read how you had visited a Shaker village. From what I learned in the book, the Shaker movement is in a decline. Young people move away, etc. I know very little about this sect. Just what I happened to see one Sunday long ago on Sunday Morning show.

hats

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2009, 06:02:19 AM »
I'm here for a short while and have made my first booboo. I just finished "The Death of a Winter Shaker" last week. As all of you know I have a tiny problem with memory. I really couldn't remember the state.
I had to get my book and look again. It's not Ohio. The story takes place in Kentucky. I don't know why I thought Ohio.

I also should have put this post over in Mystery Corner. I was too excited and came here instead.  ::)

Steph

« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2009, 08:41:05 AM »
Hats, I do remember you. Yes, the Shakers were in Kentucky.. At Pleasant Hill actually. The Shaker religion is now gone. There are probably five communities in various forms left. There was a very very old female shaker alive some years ago in Canterbury,NH, but am not sure if she still is. The religion was self limiting with no sex between the members. Their only hope for growth was orphans, etc.  I have always loved the information on the good of their communities. I am a genealogist and I have seen the New York records. Amazing how many winter shakers there were. This is families that arrived each fall and winter, lived through the winter and left each spring.. They always took them in..

ajfromms

« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2009, 09:11:24 AM »
Hi, glad to see we have at least one area of discussion back.  Hope some of the others will be reinstated.

I am an avid reader, like Greg Iles books and love Stephen Hunter books.  Read just about all kinds but not much into light romance or science fiction.

Alice

hats

« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2009, 09:58:48 AM »
 :D I'm not sure I remember you, Steph. Yes, I thought it was very interesting about the definition of a "Winter Shaker." Don't want to tell much of the plot. There is a good bit of romantic shenanigans going on in the community in the book. Of course, what I read is Fiction.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2009, 10:36:31 AM »
Hats, that’s an easy mistake to make.  After reading all the comments about the Shakers, I went to Google, and there are or were Shakers in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.  Berea, KY?  Is that the location?  And New Harmony, Indiana.  I would love to visit that, and it’s not too far from me.

Speaking of Jodi Picoult, I just watched the film Plain Truth -- maybe a made-for-TV?  It was OK.  The book sits on my shelf and I hope there is more to it than what was in the film.

Books Into Movies   is now open.  Do drop in and tell us what you think of this current crop of films that are based on the book.  Or maybe you’ve found a sleeper on DVD.  We’d like to hear about that, too.

hats

« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2009, 10:56:42 AM »
Hi Pedln,

In the book it's North Homage, Kentucky. Thanks for the extra information too. I ordered the second book yesterday. I don't want you for wanting to visit.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2009, 02:00:49 PM »

Welcome Alice, you named two of my favorite authors. Iles and Hunter. I just last night finished HoT Springs by Hunter. Its a story about the 1940's in Hot Springs Arkansaw.
what a book. I took it to the office this morning for my oldest son who leaves for Panama thursday, something for him to read on the plane.

I'd love to read the book about the Shakers, my list is getting too long.

Steph

« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2009, 07:56:29 AM »
No, the Shaker colony in Kentucky was Pleasant Hill. It is not far from Lexington. Berea is a different type of community altogether. it revolves around the college and craft community. We love Kentucky and do a lot of exploring in the rv there.
A long time ago a writer.. Janice Holt Giles wrote about the Shakers in one of her books. Excellent and did a good job of describing the bewilderment of a woman whose husband converted and puller her with him into a world she did not want.. Interesting.

hats

« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2009, 08:16:18 AM »
That Jane Hill Giles book sounds really good. I'm glad you mentioned it. I wonder how many women find themselves in a certain non mainstream sect just because they are following their husbands.

hats

« Reply #62 on: January 07, 2009, 08:17:29 AM »
I've never read a Greg Iles book. I've seen his name often.

serenesheila

« Reply #63 on: January 07, 2009, 05:04:15 PM »
My favorite Jodi Picoult novel is called:  "The Pact".  After reading it, I am a devoted fan of the author!  Some I have liked better than others.  "The Pact" remains my favorite.

I remember seeing a TV program about the Shakers.  What stuck in my mind was that they were not allowed to conceive children.  Does anyone know more about that?

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #64 on: January 07, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »
I have read 6 of Iles books and one that I really loved and would recommend it the Quiet Game.  Hats I am sure you would like it.

mynioga

« Reply #65 on: January 07, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
Hello everyone,    I was macou in another Fiction Old and New site.    Happy to have found my way here.   Thanks to those dear people who made this possible.

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle was long and winding.   Very interesting though there were places where one could turn a number of pages and not miss much.     I would recommend the story.

Just finished Sara Gruen's two novels,   Riding Lessons and Flying Changes.    Fast moving!   Talk about Flying Changes.    Lots of interesting things about horses and performance riding .   Very good and easy reading.

Today I started  The Shack by William P Young.    It starts out well and seems like it will be a good story.   
Mary

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #66 on: January 07, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »
Hi Macou Iremember you from the old site. Its fun having something new to try out. I believe I saw the book Shack at B&N yesterday when I bought a book for my son to read on the plane. Can you tell us what it is about.
From Washington land of mud slides, snow slides, terrible rain and floods. Ticker tapes on the bottom of the TV with all the road closures and they expect some part of I-5 to flood. My kingdom for a moving van. hehe

mynioga

« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2009, 07:20:58 PM »
Hi Judy,    I will tell you more about The Shack as I get into it a little more.   Just read the Forward today.   It is written by the man who tells the story for the main character, "Mack", and I like the  main characters already.

I also read Swimming Lessons a couple months back.   Good writing!!!

Your weather has been horrendous hasn't it?   My niece went to Seattle to live after she lost her apartment in New Orleans during Katrina......and now a winter of historic proportions.     It's unbelievable.
Mary

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2009, 10:06:36 PM »
Mynioga I will be looking forward to your telling us about Shack
I read Swimming Lessons on my vacation and loved it.
It was definatly a summer read.

Yes the weather here is horrible. All that is on the TV here is the evauations and the people who's homes are going. One lady near Sedro Wolley was sitting in her chair and a mud slide came and moved her house 40 feet.
I have one son in Fall City and the roads are closed there but he will get in and out. I keep thinking there is someplace that the sun is shinning but its sure not here.

mynioga

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2009, 10:29:41 PM »
Judy,   My heart goes out to you folks in the NW.    Some months back it was the central states who were suffering from the awful flooding.    We never know when our turn is up.     Take care as best you can.

Someone mentioned a Christmas book of Anne Perry.    Maybe it wasn't in this particular site.   Anyway I did read one of hers this Christmas time calle   A Christmas Grace.     Last year I read A Christmas Visitor.    Both were interesting but her style wouldn't be my favorite.     On another forum in Seniors and Friends we talked about her and she has quite an interesting past, if one care to research it. 
Mary

Gumtree

« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2009, 01:06:47 AM »
 Judy Laird
I keep thinking that there is some place that the sun is shining but its sure not here

You're absolutely right about that - the sun is definitely shining here in Western Australia. We are in the grip of something of a heatwave - its hot and dry - temps around 100F and more  for most of the day and sometimes half the night as well. But then, it is summer here...

Sorry you're having such a bad time of it at the moment. Take care and stay safe.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Steph

« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
I am still struggling with "The School on Heart's Content Road" by  Carolyn Chute. I loved the Beans of Egypt, Maine by her years ago, but she has swung really far into experimenta type writing. Signals.... drawings... different languages...and mostly unsympathetic characters. The little girl who is the lead is poisonous..May not finish it.. So sad.. to lose an author you liked.

joyous

« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2009, 10:53:39 AM »

Judy: I wish I could send you some of our sunny, beautiful weather.  It is a little nippy (cold to us) this morning --63 degrees.  The weather here is just like a bouncing ball---down in the morning, up in the afternoon ---fluctuating from A/C in the afternoon, to
 the heating unit in the morning.
Hats: Greg Iles lives in Natchez, MS, which is just next to the Louisiana line, and writes with a Louisiana theme.  Naturally, we here in LA think his books are great. ::)
Joy

hats

« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2009, 11:01:02 AM »
Judy and Joyous,

I am very interested in the Greg Iles books. I am so glad his name was mentioned. All I need to do is pick up "The Quiet Game." Do you have any other favorite titles? Are they all good? Excited. ::)

hats

« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2009, 11:07:29 AM »
Steph,

I have seen the "Bean" books. I've never read one. I've started "Home to Harmony" by Philip Gulley. This is light and fun reading. It's a pastor of the Quakers telling stories about his church and community.

Good morning all

hats

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2009, 11:14:23 AM »
I really enjoy the Christmas books by Anne Perry. I read a couple during this past Christmas season. I hope she continues to write Christmas mysteries. This past Christmas I read:

1.A Christmas Secret by Perry
2.A Christmas Journey by Perry

mynioga

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
hats,   Have you read The Christmas Scrapbook by Phillip Gulley?     I picked that up along with the Anne Perry Christmas story.     The scrapbook story is hilarious as many of his books are.    You can't help but love the man.

Mary

hats

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2009, 12:01:58 PM »
Hi Mynioga,

No, I didn't know about "The Christmas Scrapbook." Thanks for mentioning it. I would love to read it.

joyous

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2009, 01:20:25 PM »

Hats: Re: Greg Iles------Judy says her favorite Greg Iles' book is The Quiet Game.  That is one of his earlier ones (c.1999), and sorry to say I have not read it.
Joy

mabel1015j

« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2009, 02:49:45 PM »
I read James Patterson's The Christmas Train in December. It was a great little mystery and not complicated or gory - just perfect for a December read when eveything else is hectic and stressful.............jean