Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #1  (Read 162615 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers
« Reply #520 on: April 18, 2009, 11:10:56 AM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

mrssherlock

« Reply #521 on: April 18, 2009, 11:27:09 AM »
Did I read about Monte Walsh, by Jack Shaefer, here?  This book has kept me reading for the last three days.  The old west as it really was, or as it seems logically to have been.  Monte's tale starts when he is 14, leaving home and an abusive step-father for the life of a cowboy during the peak of the cattle drive era.  Drifting from job to job he quicikly finds his place due to his extraordinary talent with horses.  Year by year vignettes tell his life and the lives of the men who fought Nature and villainy for $40/mo and keep. Romantic, yes, but gritty.  The heat of the summer sun, the sting of the winter blizzard, the smell of horses' and men's sweat are almost palpable.  Monte is one of those characters which will stick long after most of the rest. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #522 on: April 18, 2009, 12:43:43 PM »
Jackie, I mentioned Monte Walsh.  As I said, it's always been one of our favorite books.  We wore one copy out, and had another library-bound to be able to keep it longer.  Shaefer also wrote Shane, which made a much more well-known movie (with Alan Ladd).  But we think Monte Walsh was a better book.  I'm so glad you've liked it, too.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #523 on: April 18, 2009, 12:47:54 PM »
Jackie, John said that I should tell you if you liked Monte, to read a book by Elmer Kelton called Good Old Boys.  It's more of the "real" cowboy stuff.  Kelton has lots of books out, and he's a good writer.  John buys copies of Good Old Boys whenever he finds them at the used book store or book sales.  He gives them away.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #524 on: April 18, 2009, 07:45:22 PM »
Maryz:  Thank you and John so much.  I remember the movie, Shane, and didn't realize it was a novel.  Now I've got 2 new-to-me books to read and savor.  Monte Walsh is a very special book, and character, who will be with me for a long, long time.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #525 on: April 19, 2009, 09:29:54 AM »
I like McMurtry for some close type old west stuff. I had a lot of male customers in the used book store. They read only westerns, but I did discover by picking up a few of the books, that they correspond to the historical romance ladies. Lots of sex..not much plot.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #526 on: April 19, 2009, 12:56:01 PM »
That does sound good, JACKIE. I do like a good Western. I wonder why we've never had a site for the Westerns genre?  Not enough fans, I suppose.
  Your post brought to my mind a picture that hung behind my Dad's desk in his
office. It pictured a grizzled, rough-looking cowboy with a level gaze. Printed
at the bottom was "There's a hell of a lot they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit!" 
  I was intrigued by your observation on the Western books, STEPH. "Lots of sex" didn't fit most of the Westerns I've read. I don't doubt there are authors of Westerns who do take that route, but happily, I've missed them.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #527 on: April 19, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »
Oh,Babi...I LOVE that saying on that sign.  I've got to look for or make one of those!!

jane

mrssherlock

« Reply #528 on: April 20, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
Babi:  Your dad must have had a great sense of humor. ;D
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #529 on: April 20, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »
Yes, the sex ones are easy to spot in Western. They are all series types and generally have a sort of loose type lady on the cover with a man.. Not overtly sexy cover, but you get the picture. I wish I could remember the names of the authors, but its one of those things that disappeared. I did laugh though, because I thought they wre like Zane Gray, etc. and they are certainly not.

Babi

« Reply #530 on: April 20, 2009, 09:38:32 AM »
You may have to make one, JANE.  It's been a long time ago.   And yes, he
did have a sense of humor, JACKIE.  He was one of the wisest men I've ever
known, too; an opinion shared by most who knew him.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mabel1015j

« Reply #531 on: April 20, 2009, 01:02:43 PM »
There's a hell of a lot they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit!"

That could be a slogan for marriage and parenthood, couldn't it?  ;D

Jean

Babi

« Reply #532 on: April 21, 2009, 08:20:07 AM »
  ???   ::)   ;)

Steph

« Reply #533 on: April 21, 2009, 08:28:58 AM »
My guiding slogan... found when I turned 50. It is on my fridge still 21 years later..."Is this what you wanted to be when you grew up" It managed to turn me into a non smoking walking exercising fool for the last 21 years.. Even eating healthy mostly.

mrssherlock

« Reply #534 on: April 21, 2009, 02:47:59 PM »
Oh, Steph, that is very deep.  Thank you.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #535 on: April 22, 2009, 07:41:39 AM »
I am reading the  second Wally Lamb of the prison women short essays. In the introduction, he has kind words for our Ginny and senior nets prison library that we sent all of the books to. Very nice of him. These are shorter than the first books essays and on a variety of topics. Interesting.

Aberlaine

« Reply #536 on: April 23, 2009, 11:33:35 AM »
The sexy Western novels mentioned here remind me of the Harlequin romances.  The cover always showed a helpless female in the arms of a strong man.

Steph, thanks for sharing your refrigerator "art".  I'm going to make a sign for my refrigerator that says that.  Maybe it will remind me in which direction I need to be going.

Steph

« Reply #537 on: April 24, 2009, 07:48:06 AM »
Turning 50 was my hardest birthday thus far. For some reason it affected me strongly. So.. I found the sign, changed so much of my life.. To my amazement a few months after my birthday, I was in the mall, stopped out in front of the Claires..Watched the lady piercing ears.. walked in and got my ears pierced. My husband and sons were hysterical. They loved the idea of conservative Mom with pierced ears. To this day, they love to give me earrings and I have hundreds. Now if I could just get the extra weight to disappear.. Oh well. I do love food.

Babi

« Reply #538 on: April 24, 2009, 08:52:09 AM »
Oddly enough, turning 50 wasn't nearly as traumatic for me as when my eldest child turned 40.  My children as young adults were simply a source of pride. The idea that they were actually growing older was, I guess, an intimation of their mortality. Whatever the reason, I really found it hard.

mrssherlock

« Reply #539 on: April 24, 2009, 01:22:59 PM »
Wait 'til your oldest turns 50!
Jackie

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #540 on: April 24, 2009, 02:27:17 PM »
Jackie been there done that. I have had 3 turn 50 so far. I really don't know how they got so old.
I finished Deadly Gift by Heather Graham. It was good but just your run of the mill mystery,
I am  beginning the Ist Ladies Detective books. Everyone seems to have read them so I thought I had better keep up. The first one had better speed up tho I am not fascinated so far. hehe

I have been having trouble with my feet which really bothers me. I bought an obscene expensive pair of walking shoes yesterday.  I hope they help. Its interesting tho its not neuropahty its the nerves in my feet are becoming shot.  Well if its not one thing its another

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #541 on: April 24, 2009, 02:57:29 PM »
We, too, have three kids who have reached 50.  The "baby" will be 48 this year.  How did this happen when we're still so young!!! ::)

And our "baby" grandchild is 20.  No greats yet, though.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #542 on: April 24, 2009, 05:13:02 PM »
4 greats in Alaska :-\

joyous

« Reply #543 on: April 24, 2009, 06:50:17 PM »

Judy:Care to share the name of the"obscene" shoes you purchased for problem feet????
I ask this because I have tried almost every brand out there and still have trouble walking
very far. :'(
My oldest daughter will be 60 in May. ;D
Joy

mrssherlock

« Reply #544 on: April 24, 2009, 09:10:21 PM »
Joy:  We have a winner!   ;D
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #545 on: April 25, 2009, 09:04:39 AM »
My oldest has turned 50, and I found that equally incredible. The second-born, my son, will turn 50 next year.  I really don't expect to see a childs' 60th birthday, so I won't fret over that.   ;)

Steph

« Reply #546 on: April 25, 2009, 09:25:41 AM »
Two more years and my older son will be 50.. Sigh.. Feels funny to even say it. Dont really feel old most days.
Feet and shoes.. yes, do tell, shoes get harder and harder to find that fit well.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #547 on: April 25, 2009, 10:39:27 AM »
I have terrible feet.  I wear Mizuno brand shoes - like expensive sneakers (about $85.00).  But I wear them every day - the only shoes I wear out of the house - no matter what I have on or where I'm going.  If I do have to go to something very formal (like our grandson's wedding  ::)), I have a pair of black SAS walkers that are my "dress" shoes.  Foot comfort is much more important than style.  I figure they're a bargain, since I wear them every day, and replace them about every 9-12 months.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #548 on: April 25, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
Joy the name of the obscene shoe's is MBT physiological footwear. I have not the foggiest idea what that means. I have been to a vascular surgeon who says my veins  are wonderful. On to my regular  dr who is also a reumatoligist and he did some tests and says my nerves in my feet are going to he----.
He gave me lyrcia and I tell you there is a big change for the better. The shoes feel good, their soles are kind of like a half moon.
My husband tell me sketchers has come out with the same thing and its 100.00 cheaper. I have a hard time with the fact two shoes look the same and one pair is that much cheaper. I usually go with the expensive one.
As for my spelling can't help it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #549 on: April 25, 2009, 02:38:20 PM »
Judy, I haven't seen those before.  I like the look of Sketchers, but they don't work for me.  The toe box isn't big enough - and that's a lot of my problem.  We're all SO different, aren't we.  I hope the Sketchers work for you.  Glad you're getting some improvement.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #550 on: April 25, 2009, 04:48:10 PM »
Mary I didn't get the Sketchers I got the MBT They feel good.

mrssherlock

« Reply #551 on: April 25, 2009, 09:05:40 PM »
Judy:  My cousin is having the same problem with her feet.  I'm going to tell her about your shoes and your meds so she can askj her doctor about it.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #552 on: April 26, 2009, 09:51:06 AM »
Sketchers.. hmm. I will look at them, but truthfully have never had a pair of sketcher that fitted well.
My easy spirits work well for me, but I would love a pair of loafers that fit well.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #553 on: April 26, 2009, 01:54:00 PM »
The shoes I  bought are MBT physiological footwear not Sketchers.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #554 on: April 26, 2009, 02:08:31 PM »
Judy, your MBTs look interesting.  I'd imagine they take some getting used to.  Glad that they work for you.

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #555 on: April 26, 2009, 03:21:14 PM »
Mary actually they are east to walk in but now my symptoms have changed. I don't know if I mentioned it but the doctor gave me Lycria and the pain is gone and my feet are not always cold which is a god send and my big toes do not ache, this is a milestone for me. Now my feet tingle all the time which is better than before. I hope maybe adjusting the lycria will help. Wouldn't it be nice if it all went away.??? ;D ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #556 on: April 26, 2009, 03:49:20 PM »
You've got that right, Judy!!!  I hope the improvements continue.

joyous

« Reply #557 on: April 26, 2009, 10:52:59 PM »

Re: feet and shoes-----
I have recently discovered a new brand of shoes, made by the Brown Shoe Company and sold
at the New Balance Store.  They are not named New Balance but ARAVON.  They were
recommended by my podiatrist----especially good for persons w/diabetes.  First I bought
the lace-up shoes (I call them "my nun" shoes), and just recently I bought a sandal.  They are pricey but so far are compatible with my aching feet.  I could never find a sandal that filled that bill before.  They run about $135 though, and are NOT very stylish.
JOY

Steph

« Reply #558 on: April 27, 2009, 07:31:48 AM »
Its sort of funny, but the prettier the shoe, the more likedly it is not to be good for aging feet.. The uglier, the more comfortable.. Hmm. something said here somewhere on comfort.

Babi

« Reply #559 on: April 27, 2009, 08:46:02 AM »
What always puzzled me, is that women were willing to suffer the pain and ruin their feet in order to wear the pretty, high-heeled shoes they loved. There are women I believe could pay off their debts with the money spent on the
shoes in their closets! 
  Well, I guess I always was a bit contrary when it came to fashion. I would adopt a style if it suited me.  If it didn't look good on me, I didn't care what the fashion gurus said. I pretty much stuck with the classics.