Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie  (Read 76397 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie ~ beginning June 21
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2009, 09:20:17 PM »

Six 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 21-July 26, 2009
"With grey cells firing and knitting needles clicking, Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) and Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie) star in Six by Agatha, a half-dozen whodunits by the greatest mystery author of all time, Agatha Christie." (PBS Masterpiece Mystery!)

Would you enjoy discussing these new PBS mysteries?  Reading the books adds a whole new dimension, as we learned reading Henning Mankell's novels.
 Thank you for promoting reading, Masterpiece! Are you interested?

June 21, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Cat Among the Pigeons
Something is amiss at Meadowbank School for Girls, where hidden rubies, kidnapping, and murder disrupt the term. View the episode online through July 5 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
June 28, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Mrs. McGinty's Dead
A man is about to hang for a brutal murder. But did he do it? After learning about 30-year-old homicides, Poirot concludes a ghost from the past has returned. View the episode online through July 12 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
July 5, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye
A killer who seems obsessed with a nursery rhyme commits a string of murders. Miss Marple and a local detective (Matthew Macfadyen) join forces to investigate. View the episode online at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html through July 19.
July 12, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Murder is Easy (the book is sometimes called EASY TO KILL)
Miss Marple investigates a string of "accidents" after a woman on a train tells her about murders in a local village. Benedict Cumberbatch co-stars.
July 19, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: They Do it With Mirrors (the book is sometimes called MURDER WITH MIRRORS)
During rehearsal for an amateur show a murder occurs, and Miss Marple must decipher the elaborate conjuring trick played by the killer. Joan Collins co-stars.
July 26, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (the book is sometimes titled THE BOOMERANG CLUE)
The last words of a dying man lead the sole witness and a socialite to investigate. Miss Marple joins them as they land in a hotbed of homicide and intrigue.

Discussion Leader:  Babi

nlhome

« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35:19 PM »
Christie wrote lots of short stories, with a variety of characters. I prefer short stories - easier to read in the limited reading time I have. (Although I have set a goal of at least half an hour each evening reading a book on the deck before sundown.)

EvelynMC

« Reply #122 on: July 03, 2009, 11:10:30 PM »
I just finished watching "Mrs. McGinty's Dead" on PBS video.  I rather enjoyed it.  I made a point not to read the book beforehand, so I enjoyed this PBS version very much.  It seems I get a lot more out of the video with headphones on, than watching Masterpiece on the TV.  Perhaps no outside noise and household interference.  I love being able to watch by chapters and be able to take a break after about 35-40 minutes.

Hopefully, I'll be able to watch it again before company comes tomorrow.  I really enjoy David Suchet and his portrayal of Poirot.  Hurting feet, mincing step and sweet smile.  And those little grey cells. And once more, I love those fashions, that red, red lipstick and those cars.  

No one had said anything about the comments "What's all the fuss about, she's only a char".  That was absolutely insufferable.  Was that in the book? The snobbery was unbelievable.

I read "A Pocket Full of Rye" as soon as I received the books.   Miss Marple will be a change of pace.

Happy 4th of July everyone.  Hope you all enjoy the holiday.

Evelyn

Mippy

« Reply #123 on: July 04, 2009, 06:31:42 AM »
Yes, she wrote lots of short stories!

I've been enjoying re-reading Christie's Autobiography.   Wonderful!

HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY !!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Babi

« Reply #124 on: July 04, 2009, 09:40:32 AM »
So true, JOANP. So much that is enjoyable in Christie's writing is not dialogue, and is lost in the film script.

I see that NL has confirmed that Christie did write short stories, RETIREd,
 but I'm not familiar with them. I don't think they are as available now as her novels.
  EVELYN, the bit about 'she's only a char' simply reflected the attitude of the
character who said it.  She was a snob, and snobs are always insufferable.

I think we can expect to see some extensive re-writing of "Pocket Full of Rye" tomorrow evening.  Like Poirot in "Cat Among the Pigeons",  the producers
will want to see Miss Marple on the scene much earlier than she appears in
the book.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #125 on: July 04, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
I have read some of Christie's short stories but I do not like any  short stories.  I saw several volumes of them when I was looking for  Pocket Full of Rye in bookstores and libraries around here.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2009, 07:33:25 PM »
Fantastic Fiction let me down. It doesn't list which of Christies 120 books are short stories. The three I remember as being the best, perhaps, are "the Labors of Hercules" (Poirot -- 12 stories, each with some resemblance to a labor of the Greek Hercules, who had to perform 12 labors)

The Tuesday club Murders (?) Miss Marple

and "Partners in Crime" (Tommy and Tuppence-- if you don't know the Tommy and Tuppence mysteries, you should -- the long books "The Secret Adversary" and "N or M". And a delightful BBC series you can get from Netflix.)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2009, 10:44:51 PM »
I love the Tommy and Tuppance mysteries.  They are my favorite novels by Agatha Christie.

Joan Grimes

nlhome

« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »
There are also some stories about Mr. Quin that are interesting.

Babi

« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2009, 09:34:30 AM »
I have a large volume of Hercule Poirot stories, but truthfully I can't
remember if I read all of them. Ordinarily, I'm not a great fan of short
stories. I am, however, definitely a fan of Agatha Christie.

JOANK, thank you for remembering Tommy and Tuppence. I had forgotten them and they were favorites of mine.  Really, Masterpiece Theatre ought to do more of Tommy and Tuppence. Though I think they did do one, which I didn't much care for. I think those stories would translate very well onto film.

"Pocketful of Rye" coming up tonight!  I do hope they haven't changed it too
much.  If you are like me, there were characters in the book that you hope
will turn out to be guilty, they are so unpleasant.  But then, that would
be too easy, wouldn't it?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #130 on: July 05, 2009, 10:48:55 AM »
Were all her short stories mysteries? I've never read one of Christie's short stories as many of you have.   Somehow I cannot imagine condensing a mystery such as those we've seen so far - "short" in anyway - there are always multiple murders with twists in the plot and a number of suspects.  I'll have to read  a "short" mystery by Agatha Christie - just to see how it is executed.

Like Poirot in "Cat Among the Pigeons",  the producers
will want to see Miss Marple on the scene much earlier than she appears in
the book. Babi
Babi - what really struck me in reading Pocket Full of Rye - was how relatively  small a role Miss Marple plays in the story.  I bet you're right in assuming that the TV version will center on her character.  

I'm really looking forward to tonight's episode and the NEW Miss Marple.    Here is an interview with Julia McKenzie, talking of her role as Miss Marple -  If you are hard of hearing, you will probably have some trouble hearing it - her voice is quite soft - If you can turn up your audio, you will probably have to do so.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #131 on: July 05, 2009, 03:22:07 PM »
Thanks for the reminder about Tommy and Tuppence. I haven't read the short story collection, "Partners in Crime," but recall enjoying the PBS series of the same name which featured James Warwick and Francesca Annis. I like Francesca Annis (Wives and Daughters; Cranford). She has an unforgettable face and I admire her acting.

I finally viewed the episode of Mrs. McGinty's Dead online. Like Evelyn, I enjoyed the fashions, the cars, and the houses and their exterior and interior design/accessories. I love the way that David Suchet brings Poirot to life. He's more endearing to me than pompous.

It was a good mystery with many possible suspects. I had a "feeling" about the playright but thought he couldn't have murdered his mother since he was at the play. 90 minutes is not a lot of time for a mystery with all of the characters and misdirections that this one provides so the tv production seemed a bit fast with lots thrown in. The written story is definitely told at a more leisurely pace.

I enjoyed them both.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: July 05, 2009, 03:32:27 PM »
Thanks, JoanP, for the link to the interview with Julia McKenzie. That's an interesting anecdote about the wardrobe taken from Dame Peggy Ashcroft in "Passage to India." I saw the film but didn't remember the clothing.

I think she'll make a good Miss Marple. We'll see tonight! I didn't realize that Joan Collins was born in London.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #133 on: July 05, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
JOANP: the short stories are simpler -- the solution turns on one clue,and there isn't time forall the "red herrings"

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: July 05, 2009, 04:06:53 PM »

And they ARE clever,  Joan K mentioned the Labors of Hercules, those are  really fun, she was very inventive and clever.

EvelynMC

« Reply #135 on: July 05, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »
JoanP: Thanks for the link to the interview with Julia MacKenizie.  I enjoyed it, especially the anecdote about her 96 year old mother.  It was funny seeing Joan Collins striding along in a fur coat and then the camera zooming down to her tennies.  Now that looked like solid comfort.

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie
« Reply #136 on: July 05, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Thanks Joan P for the link to the interview.  I enjoyed watching it.

I am waiting now for the broadcast of "Pocket Full of Rye"  to begin.
  It will be on here in about 20 minutes.

Joan Grimes

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #137 on: July 06, 2009, 06:13:35 AM »
Well I was impressed with the Agatha Christi Miss Marple production - the actress for Miss Marple was OK but the rest of the caste was all the new brightest and best of English actors - I saw this one and that one in various productins -

Matthew Macfadyen is all over the place in one show after the other; Little Dorrit stands out - Ben Miles from Lark Rise to Candleford as the older brother and there was Prunella Scales from Faulty Towers as the aged [was it Mrs. McIntyre - the widow of the owner of the Blackbird mine] And then the younger brother, Rupert Graves from the second production of The Forsyte Saga About the only new face was the young maid nor did I recognize the cook.

And then next week Benedict Cumberbatch who was in The Last Enemy on PBS and he had a small part in the movie The Complete Jane Austin and he was a Jr officer in a period navel movie To The Ends of the Earth. And Russell Tovey, the Marshalsea Prison keeper's son in Little Dorrit.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #138 on: July 06, 2009, 07:40:58 AM »
I keep telling myself I'm going to watch at least ONE of these TV productions without having read the book first - so I can enjoy the televised version for itself, without comparing it with the book the whole time.  Barbara, you sound as if you were able to enjoy the PBS version for what it was - and I envy you that.  Maybe I'll try it this week.  I was going to read "Murder is Easy" this week - before Sunday's episode - but now I think I'll have to put off reading it until after  I see the show.  (I learned when putting "Murder is Easy" on hold in my library that it was published in the US as  "Easy to Kill.")

With the book fresh in my mind, it has been  impossible to view the story without being acutely aware of the differences - and there were some BIG differences,  some puzzling changes in "Pocketful of Rye"  -

I think Agatha Christie would have approved of Julia McKenzie in the Miss Marple role.  I noted her description of Miss Marple when reading the book this week - a "fluffy pink and white old lady" than some of the other wry and wizened Mrs. Marples who played the part before.  (ALthough I think I prefer some of the "wry" Miss Marples.)

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #139 on: July 06, 2009, 08:08:37 AM »
I enjoyed the PBS version of Pocket Full of Rye.  I had not read the book recently.   I read it many, many years ago.  I do want to read the book again.  I am really enjoying the PBS productions.   I really look forward to each of them.

I thought the new Miss Marple was all right.  I do think the actress did a good job as Miss Marple.

Joan Grimes

Frybabe

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2009, 08:45:56 AM »
I didn't care for the TV Production too much. I guess I should not have read the book first. The production seemed a bit "rushed" to me and the characters were a lot more "catty" than I read into the book. Julia MacKenzie was okay, but not the best IMO but she did very much look the part.

Babi

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »
 I agree, FRYBABE.  The characters in the film did seem to me more acerbic--and less realistic, IMO--than they were in the book.
  I felt the actress portraying Pat Fortescue was totally miscast.  She didn't seem to fit Christie's description at all.
  The opening of the film was a nice touch, though.  Beginning with Gladys leaving Miss Marple established the relationship that was the reason for Miss
Marple appearing on the Fortescue doorstep. The very fact that she was admitted at such a time was, to me, one of the weaker points of the story.
  I thought Percival came across as a more likeable person in the film than
he did in the story.  Given the position he was in, his actions seem reasonable
to me.
   Q.  What do you think are the weak points of this story?  The strong points?

Mippy

« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2009, 10:03:05 AM »
Babi ~  I agree with you that the characters in the book were better than in the film.
And also it was neat to have that introductory moment with Gladys and Miss Marple.

Sadly, I fell asleep before the end ...  having already read the book ... so I'll try to find a chance to watch the rest on the PBS web site.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
I didn't read the book yet. I had remembered "who did it" from the PBS production with Joan Hickson as Miss Marple but that didn't detract from my enjoying this production. I thought that Julia McKenzie was a good Miss Marple. I remembered seeing Matthew MacFadyen who played Inspector Neele, in something else. I looked it up- he was Mr. Darcy in the 2005 Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley.

I think that the scenes between Miss Marple and Inspector Neele were a bit weak because both actors were so understated in their delivery. I like both McKenzie and MacFadyen but I think that MacFadyen needed to be a bit more demonstrative about not understanding/being bewildered about what Miss Marple was saying. I know the director probably wanted to hold back on the nursery rhyme revelation but somehow I don't think the interaction between Miss Marple and the inspector had enough tension or something.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »
Thanks for the information, Barbara, on some of the other actors and their previous roles. I didn't place Prunella Scales who played Mrs. Mackenzie in this version, although I now recall seeing her in Faulty Towers. I found this trivia note: Prunella Scales husband, Timothy West, had  appeared in the BBC adaptation A Pocket Full of Rye (1985) (TV) as Rex Fortescue!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2009, 12:25:00 PM »
A reminder for those of you looking for the books for upcoming episodes in your library or at a bookstore:

The book for "They Do It with Mirrors" is sometimes called MURDER WITH MIRRORS.

The book for "Murder is Easy" is sometimes called EASY TO KILL.

The book for "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" is sometimes titled THE BOOMERANG CLUE.

mrssherlock

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
Joan:  Sorry I missed your email.  I've been very lazy this last week while our temps were in the 90's so didn't check my email as I usually do.  My check was for $5, since I had misplaced your note.  Wasn't that card special?  I got a box of them at Costco a while ago and love them for those special occassions, like when i forget to mail my check!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #147 on: July 06, 2009, 02:39:34 PM »
I hear you about the lack of tension between Miss Marple and Inspector Neele however, my thought was as I watched they were more team mates where as in the past they were played more adversarial.

My guess was that each time they create a new production they have to make a different interpretation or else why bother - the settings were wonderful in this production as compared to some in the past and there did not seem to be much tension except between the brothers so that it was difficult to judge who was the bad guy  unless  you were familiar with the story.

I thought Helen Baxendale was a great Mary Dove  until she also becomes a friend and cohort of Miss Marple and lost her edge in the process - this whole production was mild mannered and I thought it was calculated to be so by the director as well as, this Miss Marple having been in Cranford I thought it was her more genteel eighteenth century coming through.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #148 on: July 06, 2009, 04:21:25 PM »
Babi - I think what I disliked most was dropping the book's character - the rather eccentric auntie who lived in the house who spilled the beans to Miss Marple.  I guess they didn't want to pay another actress - Prunella Scales could have played her...
In her place we had to listen to Crump the butler's drunken portrayal of the blackbird plot.

The other thing I didn't understand - we saw Miss Marple go to the Sanatorium to visit Mrs. McKenzie.  I don't think that ever happened in the book, did it?  Wasn't it Inspector Neele?  He had a lot more of a role in the book and was a stronger character - ALTHOUGH I did make a note of this -

"Miss Marple ... like an aunt encouraging a bright nephew (Neele) for a scholarship."
 I did get the impression that Neele was a bright pupil who recognized that Miss Marple could teach him a thing or two.

Oh, there were things I did like about the TV production - but these two were the things I really didn't think were necessary, changes that didn't improve on Christie's story.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #149 on: July 06, 2009, 07:17:17 PM »
I see I did right not to reread the book first. I remembered who did it, but not the details. So I was able to just enjoy the story. I thought Miss Marple was OK: no one will ever be perfect, but she did a good job. I thought Lawrence was very good. And I liked the Inspector, but didn't remember the original.

In all these productions, the characters don't have quite the -- what? sparkle? flavor? they do in the book. I think that is more a tribute to Christies skill than anything else.

Mippy

« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2009, 07:04:26 AM »
JoanK ~   I agree completely.  Several of the characterizations seemed to be underplayed in this version of the film.   Was it on purpose?   Or was it because of the actors chosen.? 

I'm glad I read the book first or I would have been even more confused.   All in all, I like the Hercule films better than this latest Miss Marple.  What does everyone think?    

Babi

« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2009, 09:03:58 AM »
  I don't remember his name, but I loved the scene with the box of chocolates,
where Neele's colleague was ignored when the chocolates were offered, to his
noticeable chagrin and disappointment.  Really, tho', that was too rude to be
typical English behavior, IMO.

MARCIE
, thank you so much for that listing of alternative titles. It is bound
to be useful to more than a few of us. In the scenes between Neele and
Miss Marple, it seemed to me that he was so bemused by her ideas that he
could do little more than stare and murmur politely.

PAT, I suppose they wanted to cut the cast of characters, and Miss Ramsbottom(?) was the easiest to drop. It was simple enough to assign her revelations to Mrs. Crump or, as  you say, Mr.Crump. (He was a thoroughly unpleasant character, wasn't he?) 
  I believe you are right about the interview with Mrs. McKenzie. I don't
remember Miss Marple as being involved in that at all.

Christie's skill in depicting characters does have a lot to do with it,
JOANK. She was so good at that. But I also think the modern screenwriters
feel it necessary to make the characters more 'edgy' and less pleasant. I
sometimes think they have a hard time imagining a character who is sincerely
decent and likable.
  I hadn't thought of it like that, but I believe MIPPY is right that the
Poirot films were...what shall I call it....sharper than this first MM film.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2009, 09:44:27 AM »
Babi - there were some wonderful moments in the TV production...I found I had to keep watching, rather than multi-task as I usually do when watching TV.  Yes!  The chocolates!  That was funny! I'd forgotten until you brought it up.

I felt that about the understated way the roles were played, Mippy. - Poor Inspector Neele seemed so inadequte and yet he was the one who persisted, in spite of the pocketful of rye.  He was at a loss,  and who wouldn't be.  Especially after Miss Marple injected the Four and Twenty Black birds dimension - which, as it turned out, was simply a red herring...or was it?  It was Neele who went to visit Mrs. MacKenzie - NOT Miss Marple.  Neele did the leg work, following up on Miss Marple's leads.  I'm looking forward to the upcoming Miss Marple episodes to see if Inspector Neele continues to play his role in such an understated manner.  I confess, I enjoyed reading Miss Marple - more so than the filmed version, which didn't seem to capitalize on her insights - her understated influence coming from an unexpected and unlikely  source.

May I brag a little?  I pegged the murderer, even though I still don't understand (or remember) how he accomplished it - the train schedule and all.  It was his wife that I stumbled over.  Thought she would have to be in on it, and yet Miss Marple liked her from the start.  Whenever I began to suspect her, I'd remind myself that Miss Marple was an excellent judge of character. For thta reason, I kept veering away from her husband, but not for long as the clues kept leading back to him...his African connection, his willingness to settle for the defunct Blackbird Mine.  

Poor Percy/Val - described in the book as the family's "white-headed boy."  I guess that means fair-haired boy in "English"? ;)

I had Mary Dove as Ruby McKenzie though -thought she played that role quite well, didn't she?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2009, 10:34:12 AM »
I had the murderer pegged early on too.  I did not want it to be him but knew that it must be. I usually figure out who the guilty person is in the Miss Marple mysteries early. 

I love the scenery in this production.  I thought it was lovely.

Since I have not read the book lately I find I am not able to enter the discussion much.  However I would have read it if I had been able to find it.

Joan Grimes

retired

« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2009, 03:52:24 PM »
I lked Julia Mckenzie in her portrayal  of Ms Marple very much.  More so than the actress who portrayed her in last years' production . I have no read the book todate so I have no comparisons to offer.
I also liked the actor's portrayal of Inspector Neele very much.
I agree that the scene with the box of chocolates was amusing.
Do you remember the scene when the daughter returns home and piles up her many boxes of shopping purchases and her coat in the arms of the butler Crump and he can barely see to navigate a distance . He appears to be in danger of toppling over.
Christie provides a number of scenes where we can laugh as a departure from the serious focus of the murders .
Any one have a similar reaction to her inclusion of amusing scenes ?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2009, 06:53:17 PM »
retired and all who have mentioned the chocolates scene, I agree that it's refreshing to have some humorous scenes interspersed. I, too, thought that the daughter piling the packages on the butler was amusing (though rude!).

mrssherlock

« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2009, 09:15:27 PM »
This Miss Marple is very good.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #157 on: July 08, 2009, 08:36:31 AM »
  You were cleverer than I in detecting the killer, JOANP, though it did occur
to me that poor Pat had a history of marrying the wrong kind of man. Still, he
seemed so frank, so likable...and did love Pat.  See, he even charms
the reader!
  Let's watch to see how Neele develops in the next three films.

I've noticed that, too, JoanG, that Miss Marple stories seemed easier
to solve than Poirot.  I sometimes got angry with the Poirot stories, as
it seemed to me they weren't fair.  The 'clue' pointing in the right
direction would be so obscure! Then at the end Poirot would pull it out
of his hat, so to speak, and my reaction would be "Ah, come on! No fair!"

I like Julia MacKenzie, too, RETIRED. I thought the earlier actress looked
more like I envisioned Miss Marple, but she added an element of whimsy and
gaiety that one simply does not see in our thoughtful, observant Miss Marple.

Now see how confused I was! I thought that was the daughter-in-law piling
up the packages, not knowing how to be courteous to a servant.  I am
disappointed to hear that it was Elaine. On the other hand, she hardly got
a proper guide in that area from her most unpleasant father.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2009, 11:16:42 AM »
When is a Pocket Full of Rye not a pocket and not seeds? hahaha

Have you read this?

http://www.snopes.com/lost/sixpence.asp

Fascinating!

I am having trouble viewing the production online. I can HEAR it, but I can't see it. From what I have heard it's wonderfully atmospheric so I really want to see it. I was a giant fan of Joan Hickson's Miss Marple, not so Geraldine McEwans, and I really want to see the entire thing before saying. I can HEAR Prunella Scales and I'm a big fan of hers also so really would like to view the thing. I think I'll watch it first then read the book, which I have,  and have totally forgotten, despite the many times I've seen it filmed.

mrssherlock

« Reply #159 on: July 08, 2009, 12:10:24 PM »
It's always fun, when watching British programs, to watch for favorite actors.  One of the recent Poirot's had Zoe Wanamaker, who I've been watching on PBS in The Family.  Look up her CV on IMDB I see that she has been in so many kinds of productions, including being nominated for best actress at the 1999 Tony Awards.
Jackie