Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie  (Read 76078 times)

Babi

PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie
« on: June 14, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »

Six 90-minute mysteries — Sundays, June 21-July 26, 2009
"With grey cells firing and knitting needles clicking, Hercule Poirot (David Suchet) and Miss Marple (Julia McKenzie) star in Six by Agatha, a half-dozen whodunits by the greatest mystery author of all time, Agatha Christie." (PBS Masterpiece Mystery!)

Would you enjoy discussing these new PBS mysteries?  Reading the books adds a whole new dimension, as we learned reading Henning Mankell's novels.
We can send you a set of three of Agatha Christie's  novels just for the cost of the postage as the supply lasts. Thank you, for promoting reading, Masterpiece! Are you interested?

June 21, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Cat Among the Pigeons
Something is amiss at Meadowbank School for Girls, where hidden rubies, kidnapping, and murder disrupt the term. View the episode online through July 12 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
June 28, 2009 at 9pm
Hercule Poirot: Mrs. McGinty's Dead
A man is about to hang for a brutal murder. But did he do it? After learning about 30-year-old homicides, Poirot concludes a ghost from the past has returned. View the episode online through July 9 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/poirot/watch.html
July 5, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: A Pocket Full of Rye
A killer who seems obsessed with a nursery rhyme commits a string of murders. Miss Marple and a local detective (Matthew Macfadyen) join forces to investigate. View the episode online through July 19 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html 
July 12, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Murder is Easy (the book is sometimes called EASY TO KILL)
Miss Marple investigates a string of "accidents" after a woman on a train tells her about murders in a local village. Benedict Cumberbatch co-stars. View the episode online through July 26 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html
July 19, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: They Do it With Mirrors (the book is sometimes called MURDER WITH MIRRORS)
During rehearsal for an amateur show a murder occurs, and Miss Marple must decipher the elaborate conjuring trick played by the killer. Joan Collins co-stars. View the episode online through August 2 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html
July 26, 2009 at 9pm
Miss Marple: Why Didn't They Ask Evans? (the book is sometimes titled THE BOOMERANG CLUE)
The last words of a dying man lead the sole witness and a socialite to investigate. Miss Marple joins them as they land in a hotbed of homicide and intrigue. View the episode online through August 9 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/marple/watch.html.

Babi: JoanP, I do trust you're going on that outing with a full complement of parents
to tend the seven grandchildren.  I mean, you've never struck me as suicidal. ::)

I'm beginning to suspect "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" may be difficult to find.
I'll be searching, but for those who can't lay hands on one, there is always the
film to discuss.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery! ~ Six by Christie ~ beginning June 21
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 11:44:15 AM »
Babi, :   I'm beginning to suspect "Why Didn't They Ask Evans?" may be difficult to find.
I'll be searching, but for those who can't lay hands on one, there is always the
film to discuss.

Babi, :
I looked up Why Didn't They Ask Evans on Amazon and B&N - both sell the paperback. My library here in Arlington does not have the book, but does carry the audio version (abridged).

Yes, let's discuss the film when we don't have the book. Ginny, does your "complete set" carry this title?

Mippy - generous of you to take the time to  pass on your Mankells to Frances.  Thank you!

I just noticed in one of Marcie's posts that "Why Didn't They Ask Evans"- the last film in the series used to be titled, The Boomerang Clue.  So I just checked with my library's on-line catalog - and see that they have it!  Regular and Large Print!!!  Did you hear that, Babi!

Thanks for the clue, Marcie!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
JoanP: I misunderstood something you said. I've put in the mail a check for $10 to cover both the Mankell books and the Christies. i misread your note on the cost and thought it was $9, hence the odd note about "extra money".

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 03:23:40 PM »
Clever of you to find the Christies. they are tricky, since they are often issued with a different title.

Any question you have about mysteries, Sci-Fi, or Romance novels, I go to Fantastic Fiction. Here is their home:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

And here is Christie:

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/agatha-christie/

I use the site to find out whether and when my favorite mystery authors have a new book coming out, and whether I've missed an old one.

Not much on biography, but a complete list of her books with alternate titles. They list 120 books. WOW! That includes the alternate titles I assume.

But to find Evans, you have to remember that it's not a Miss Marple, but a stand-alone, listed later.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 04:44:57 PM »
You will have a wonderful time, Joan!

Precious memories!

That's a good question as to what was AC's last book. I don't really know. I know she wrote two books, one about Miss Marple, and one about Poirot to be released after her death, so I guess possibly one of them might be her last book? I really don't know. I think she released one of them before she died. Then there's her other autobiography, I don't know. What a good question!

I do have Why Didn't They Ask Evans?

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »
This purports to be a bibliography of her detective and mystery books ONLY by year, if it's accurate:

http://www.detective-fiction.com/agatha-christie-bibliography.htm

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 08:11:49 PM »
I love the heading here, and the links have been so helpful.  I found Pocket Full of Rye on my bookshelf -- that'll be good on the airplane this week.  Library has two more titles, and JoanR and I are going to prowl the Strand (18 miles of books) Bookstore week after next, so am searching their catalog now.  These PBS performances have apparently been put on DVD already as the Strand has one set of the Marple (4 discs) left -- on sale at 29.99.  I almost emailed them and asked if they could hold it for me, with payment, of course.  But don't know if they have captions.  They were out of the Poirots.  Amazon also has them, but say they won't be released until August -- which makes sense from a PBS standpoint.

Babi

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 08:38:30 AM »
I did, JOAN, and my library does have 'The Boomerang Clue' listed. Yay! Now all I have
to do is find a copy of 'Cat Among the Pigeons'. Hopefully, the nearby used book store
will have one. I'll be checking that out this morning.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

retired

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »
Discussion Host: Regarding the PBS Mystery Series of six episodes of Ms Marple starting June 21 : I look forward to participating in your group discussions after viewing each TV episode .

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »
WELCOME, RETIRED!!

Are you a Christie fan, or new to Christie?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 02:46:18 PM »
Hi there, Retired!  We're glad you plan to join us. Welcome!

I just came in to tell you about a strange experience.  I have been reading the first book - "Cat Among Pigeons" - it is such a page turner - after all those years since it was written.  .I have an idea of whodunit - but am so often wrong, that I can't be sure.  I've read about 200 pages - and caught myself wondering whether I ought not  read the denouement, thinking I'd ruin the TV experience!  

How crazy is that?  The film is based on Agatha Christie's BOOK - and I'm sitting here with book in hand, wondering if I should even finish it.  Of course I will!!!  I kick myself for even hesitating!

JoanK, yours should be arriving tomorrow.  I'll warn you - you can't put it down.  You can read it in a day or two

Babi

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
Glad to have you with us, RETIRED.  It's always fun to have new views and viewpoints in our discussions.

JoanP, I've actually been thinking about how we should approach this discussion. It's only five days until the first presentation. Ordinarily, I might suggest we read and discuss the book, then watch the film, compare and discuss.  However, several people who are interested in seeing the film series will not have all the books. (I did find "Cat Among the Pigeons", by the way. Finished reading in a short while ago.)
  The point is, those who may not have the books would not be able to participate in that part of the discussion, and reading our posts on the book might spoil the movie for them.
  Would it work, do you think, to read the book, wait until we've seen the film,
then discuss both?  It will mean we'll be reading the next book while discussing the prior book and film, of course.  What do you think, gang? Can we handle that? FEEDBACK, PLEASE, ASAP.
   I had forgotten how good, and how full of red herrings, this story is. Do you
think they will be able to carry over into the film some of the sarcastic humor that falls outside the dialogue?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 06:15:02 AM »
It is tricky, discussing a book - AND a film, especially when we're talking about a mystery.  What we don't want to do is give away the plot before most have either read the book or seen the PBS Masterpiece show.

With the Wallander series we waited until folks came in on the Monday after the Masterpiece episode aired.  Since a number of you indicated that you had missed it, or taped it and hadn't viewed it yet, we talked around the plot, without giving anything away.  I think it worked just fine - how about the rest of you? Maybe you have some other suggestions to answer Babi's question?

Babi, I agree, Cat Among Pigeons (1959) is so well written, it withstands the passage of time.  (Actually, 1959 wasn't all that long ago, was it? ;D)  I hope  "the sarcastic humor that falls outside the dialogue" has been translated into the film - although that might be difficult.

I just came across this Christie site - it is  really well put together...

ps. We still have two sets of the books left, among them, Cat Among Pigeons...

Babi

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:49 AM »
 That was my concern, JoanP,...not to give away the plot for those who may
not have the book. I'm open to other suggestions, but so far it appears it would be best to begin the discussion of both book and film after viewing the film.

Mippy

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »
Good morning ~  just marking this site.   Looks interesting!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 02:16:39 PM »
JoanP: I got the books today! Amazingly fast, and they're beautiful.

Of course I've already read "Cat". I've read all the Christies, some of therm three or four times! I'm one who rereads mysteries --- if I wait long enough, I've forgotten who did it, and can be surprised all over again. If I wait noT quite so long, I've forgotten who did it, but halfway though, I "brilliantly" deduce the solution. ;)

Hi, MIPPY.

EvelynMC

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 02:28:14 PM »
Joan P

I just checked my mail and did not receive my set of Agatha Christie books.  I did send you my name and address by email on June 10.
Did you send a set to me?

I'll email you again with my name and address, just in case. I do want a set.

Thanks,

Evelyn

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 03:06:19 PM »
hahaha, JoanK, you are just like me.  I told Bruce that I need never buy another book - that I could keep on reading the ones we already have over and over - because, like you, I forget them - and am always pleasantly surprised to learn the outcome.   Funny how you cleverly "deduce" what happens as you approach the ending.

Evelyn, yes I did, I shipped your books on Monday morning.  It's only Wednesday!  They say two - three days for Priority.  I know you are anxious to get started - but honestly, you can read  :D in a few days - easliy.

EvelynMC

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 03:21:01 PM »
Thanks, JoanP.  I just wasn't sure if you got my email.  I have been out of it for about a week and am just catching up.  So I thought I missed something.

Funnily enough, I just finished listening to "Cat Among the Pigeons" last month narrated by David Suchet.  So know the story line, but when I listen to an audio book, I don't retain it.  It just literally goes in one ear and out the other. Nothing like curling up with a good book.  And once I start, I just don't put it down.

I am looking forward to watching "Cat Among the Pigeons" and seeing their rendition. 

It is already 95 degrees in the afternoons here in Arkansas.  So, there is no sitting under a shady tree with some iced tea anymore.  It's the air conditioned house. We will probably have this and hotter from now until the middle of September.

Evelyn  

Babi

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2009, 08:10:53 AM »
  Only three more days until the advent of the Christie series.  I'm really looking
forward to seeing what they've done with "Cat Among the Pigeons".  You realize, of course, that in the book you're at least  2/3 of the through before Poirot ever comes into it.

Mippy

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2009, 11:32:12 AM »
JoanP ~ Are there any Christie books left?  If so, I'd like a set.   (mippy@aol.com) Thanks!

Hi, JoanK, amica mea!

retired

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2009, 12:53:22 PM »
Thank you for the Welcome Joan.
Unfortunately, I have Not read any of Agatha Christie's Novels.
However, I have seen a number of the films produced from her novels .
Also, previous Ms. Marples series on PBS Mystery series.
This series will probably stimulate an interest in readig some of heer novels.
I do read Mystery novels frequently.
Please say Hello to Ginny for me .
In the past I joined a number of her current book discussions using my other URL.

Mippy

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2009, 02:02:26 PM »
Thanks for the email, JoanP, to which I replied,  and I'll enjoy reading the books.   I've read many others of  Agatha Christie  but not these!   

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2009, 02:40:08 PM »
RETIRED: if it does, you'll have enough reading material to last awhile. If you'd like, come join us at the Mystery Corner and tell us what authors you like.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=82.new#new

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
You might find something of interest here - to get in the mood in case you aren't reading Cat Among the Pigeons - there's even a clip from the film - and other special features:

Retired, of course we'll  pass yourgreeting on to Ginny, but it would help if you could provide a clue to your previous identity - the name you used  in the old days on Seniornet.  I wonder how many "retired" participants we have in our midst. ;)

ps  You're very welcome, Mippy. I hope you get the books in due time.

Babi

« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2009, 08:59:16 AM »
  I hope you do read some of the Christie mysteries now, RETIRED.  There
are some thoughts that just can't easily be transferred to visual. Since you
enjoyed the movies you've seen, I'm sure you would enjoy the books.
My own personal favorites are the Miss Marple stories, but other readers
are Poirot fans.

Thanks for that link, JoanP.  I had seen that before while browsing for
info.  It is an excellent intro./ad for the series.

There are a couple of points we might want to watch for when we see the
movie.
  *The book includes cues from a number of letters from the students to their parents. How does the film deal with that?
   *Mrs. Bulstrode, the headmistress/owner of Meadowbanks, believes in
discipline without regimentation.  How does that work in practice, do you
think? 

mrssherlock

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »
Since my PBS station is now on the right tract with the Christie series I'll be here with bells on.  My favorite Miss Marple has joined Agatha in that other realm so I'll have to cope.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2009, 08:18:35 PM »
One of my stations has Foyle's War tonight (the other two are fund-raising). Foyle's War wasn't broadcast here when you-all were talking about it, so if it's a new one, I haven't seen it. I like that series a lot.

Jackie: I love your Sandburg quote.

Babi

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2009, 09:37:25 AM »
 I'm hoping we will all love the new 'Miss Marple', JACKIE.  I'm practically tapping my toes with impatience to see the new films.  Tomorrow night!!

Oh, good, JoanK.  I still check into the old 'MASH' re-runs in case I find
one I haven't seen. Or at least, haven't seen since they first came up umpteen
years ago. They were/are so good.

mrssherlock

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2009, 11:47:00 AM »
We are addicted to The West Wing.  Over and over we can watch it.  in 1994 i bought a tshirt with Bartlett for Predident across the chest. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
Well, I got Foyles War last night instead of Christie. I'm afraid none of the local stations are going to broadcast it. Boo, hoo.

And the Foyles War was a repeat! (although a very good one.)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2009, 03:16:31 PM »
JoanK - I think the Christie - Cat Among Pigeons is scheduled to air on Sunday pm...If If understand you correctly, I don't think you missed it!

We are off to Disney in the morning.  I am really going to try to see this first Christie episode.  The key word is "TRY"  with 7 little grandchildren all keyed up after first day in the park.
Am finally packed.  Wish me luck - please, I'll really need it.  It was 98 degrees in Orlando last evening!

We'll be back next Sat. pm - so I'm set for episode 2 - Mrs. McGinty is Dead.  Just finished reading that one yesterday too. Frybabe, I think it was you who said you enjoyed reading  Miss Marple better than the Poirot, but preferred watching Poirot in film.  After reading the first two Poirot, I can understand that.  Agatha C. seems to do a better job writing her female characters - in my opinion.  I absolutely loved the headmistress, Miss Bulstrode in Cat/Pigeons.  As Babi pointed out, Hercule Poirot doesn't get involved until the later chapters in the book.  I thought  it was a bit late to warm up to him.  I can't wait to hear what you think.  I am really looking  forward to David Suchet's portrayal of Poirot!

Babi - I wondered at Mrs. Bulstrode's viewpoint on education - don't you think she was responding to the methods of her day?

Here's one thing I'll be looking for in tomorrow night's show....
M. Poirot exclaims when he's perplexed or frustrated -  on two occasions in this book and once in Mrs. McGinty -
"Nom  d'un nom d'un nom..."  Literally, "name of a nom of a name."  It must be an idiom - I'm curious if the phrase will be included in the film...

See you next week!  Enjoy the show!

EvelynMC

« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2009, 04:45:31 PM »
Joan P.

I received my Christie books yesterday. Thank you.  My check for the postage is in the mail.

Enjoy Disney!

Evelyn 

Babi

« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2009, 08:43:33 AM »
JoanP, I think Mrs. Bulstrode was something of a leader in her day. She seems to have
made a number of departures from engrained tradition in her school.
  I was annoyed to find that though my library's on-line catalog listed "Mrs.
McGinty's Dead", the in-house catalog the copy was no longer available. Now I've
got to scrounge some more. I did learn that it was also once entitled "Saw Death
Coming". I can look for it under both titles.

JoanK, I hope you didn't miss JoanP's note that the series starts TONIGHT!

Gumtree

« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2009, 12:23:54 PM »
We're getting a re-run of Foyle's War on Saturday nights - who wouldn't watch that again!

And then for Sunday nights entertainment  -a 6 week run of Miss Marple on with Julia McKenzie in the title role. Of course we won't see the episodes you will - tonight's one was A Pocket Full of Rye - she's good.
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2009, 01:12:46 PM »
Yup, JOANP and BABI. Senior moment, there. I talked about it so much, I pursuaded myself that Friday was Sunday. Oh, well, that means I caught the Foyles War which was well worth watching a second time.

And today IS Sunday (isn't it?)

EvelynMC

« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2009, 04:00:18 PM »
I will be watching PBS Masterpiece tonight,  but can you believe, they are having a fund raiser  ???

That means the show will be interrupted.  I can't believe it.  Oh, well.  That's how they pay for these shows.

My husband's computer monitor went out yesterday evening, so until he replaces his, we are sharing my monitor.  As he is on the computer almost 24/7, my computer time will be somewhat limited, but I am planning to take part in the discussion.

Evelyn 

mrssherlock

« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2009, 04:49:49 PM »
Oh, Evelyn, hurry on down to Best Buy or Costco or where ever ASAP to buy Hubby's new monitor!  They always have sales on at BB and CXostoc has good prices, too. 
Jackie

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2009, 07:31:49 PM »
I am really looking forward to tonight's film presentation of Christie's Cat Among the Pigeons.  I love Agatha Christie.  I have read most of her books , many of them more than once.  When I was studying French I would buy her books translated into French and read them.  I loved doing that.

This one tonight is going to be a real treat for me.  I have not reread it but I will soon. I have been having a hard time finding a book to read that I thought was really good but I know this one will be.  I just discovered that there is a Kindle edition of the book and I will be downloading it immediately to read it.   I can hardly wait!!

Well I don't have to wait.  It is now on my Kindle and I have started reading it!!

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2009, 09:45:16 PM »
I just finished reading it. Now I'll dee if reading it first adds or detracts from my enjoyment. Therre are a lot of characters, so it's good to have them straight in my mind.