Author Topic: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online  (Read 106449 times)

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ July 15 ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #440 on: August 20, 2009, 09:46:28 PM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  everyone is welcome to join in.

People of the Book - by Geraldine Brooks

You'll fall in love with Hanna Heath,  Geraldine Brooks'  edgy  Aussie rare book expert with an attitude, a loner with a real passion for her work.  How could she refuse this opportunity of a lifetime, the conservation of the beautifully illustrated Sarajevo  Haggadah, the mysterious Hebrew manuscript, created in Spain in the 14th century?

The invitation will bring Hanna into war-torn Bosnia in the spring of 1996 and then,  into the world of fine art forgers and international fanatics. Her intuitive investigation  of the manuscript will put her in a time capsule to medieval Spain and  then back to Northern Australia again with a number of stops along the way.  This is based on the travels of an actual manuscript, which has surfaced over the centuries since its creation in Spain.
Discussion Schedule:

July 15-19  ~ Hanna, 1996; Insect's Wing;
    Sarajevo, 1940

July 20-24 ~ Hanna, Vienna, 1996; Feathers and a Rose;
 Hanna, Vienna, Spring '96
July 25-July 31 ~ ~ Wine Stains, Venice 1609;
   Hanna, Boston, 1996
  August 1 - August 5 ~  Saltwater, Tarragona, 1492;
   Hanna, London, Spring, 1996 
  August 6-August 10 ~ White Hair, Seville, 1480;
   Hanna, Sarajevo, Spring, 1996 
August 11-15 Lola, Jerusalem, 2002;
   Hanna,  Gunumeleng, 2002 
August 16-August 20  Afterword & Conclusions

(click twice to really enlarge)

Topics for Discussion
August 16-August 20 ~ "Afterword" ~ Conclusions
(These questions come from several different sources.  Please feel free to add your own.)

1.  Some say the "Afterword"  should have been located at the start of the book.  What do you think?  Why do you think the decision was made to place it at the end?

2. In what ways is the Sarajevo Haggadah symbolic of the plight of the Jewish people over the years? Would you say that this became the main theme of the book or do you see an even broader theme?

3. Did Geraldine Brooks conceive a believable history of the Sarajevo Haggadah based on the little that is known of its history?  Do you think the different chapters, which told different stories, hung together well?

4. There is an amazing array of “people of the book”—both base and noble—whose lifetimes span some remarkable periods in human history. Who were your favorites?

5.  Did you connect with Hanna? Did you find her relationships with her mother and Orzen believable? What did they add to the overall story?

6. Hanna's mother justifies her poor parenting through her feminist ideals. How did you see women's situation change over the years? Do you think Hanna's mothers attitude was necessary to bring about permanent change for women?

7.  Do you think the suspenseful ending fit with the rest of the book? Were you surprised by what happened? If you were Hanna, would you have forgiven Orzen?

8. What is this book?  It involves secrets, but is it a mystery? A thriller?

9. When Hanna implores Ozren to solicit a second opinion on Alia’s condition, he becomes angry and tells her, “Not every story has a happy ending.”  Do you believe this story had a happy ending?

10. After having read this book, can you understand why it has been tops on best seller lists throughout the world?  How would you rate this book on a scale of 1-5?

Relevant Links:
Geraldine Brooks - Background information; Sarajevo Haggadah; Early Haggadah Manuscripts; Illuminated Manuscripts; Brief History of Illuminating Manuscripts; Around Sevlle Image Gallery;

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Ann , JoanK,  & Traudee

IMHO  People of the Book  is not easy to categorize.

While a mystery is at the core of the book - indeed it is the book's raison d'être -, it is not a mystery in the classical definition of the word.  It has fervor, passion and romantic elements in it,  but it is not a romance. Could we call it  
a novel of ideals?  Alas, there is no such category. I believe the book is in a category all its own: sui generis.

It is very generous of GB to take time out of her busy life to answer our questions. We are humbly grateful, GB!  

It was an immense pleasure, and a privilege, to co-lead  and discuss the saga of the Sarajevo Haggadah with such enthusiastic, interested and knowledgeable participants.  My gratitude to all , and special thanks to those who contributed the links that visually complement the eloquence of the book and the richness of the details.
Traude

Babi

« Reply #441 on: August 21, 2009, 08:52:48 AM »
  Now we can all look forward with anticipation to the movie. It will be
interesting to see if Zeta-Jones can play down her 'bombshell' affect and
give us a believable Hanna.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #442 on: August 21, 2009, 11:58:16 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, folks.  We appreciate it  - BUT of course, as Annie, JoanK and Traude have mentioned, the discussion would not have been as rich as it was without your contributions.  Let's hear it for SeniorLearn Bookies!

I loved Geraldine Brooks'  responses - she answered every single one that we put to her in such a forthright way.  I particularly liked what she said about Father Vistorini - "YES.  IT'S UP TO THE READER, BUT THE SUGGESTION IS THAT POSSIBLY AT SOME POINT VISTORINI RETRIEVES HIS HERITAGE AND PASSES THE BOOK ON TO HIS HEIRS.  BUT ONLY IF THE READER LIKES THAT IDEA. "  So that's what she was doing when she left things up in the air - leaving it to the reader...  I suppose  when the solitary reader sitting on his/her porch reaches a conclusion - but here, we spent much time sharing our own views.  I thought that was so much fun!
That's what makes these discussions go round.

So, are we ready for more Brooks?  We can go forward and consider reading her new book, set in 17th century Martha's Vineyard

OR

We can think about going back to her Pulitizer Prize winning, March - referring to the little women's absent papa.  When was the last time you read "Little Women?" How about we read and discuss both - Little Women AND March?   I could really go for that!

Babi - I think Catherine Zeta-Jones is capable of turning herself into Hanna, I really do.  Let's keep an eye out for word of the movie.  I thought it was funny that Ms. Brooks and Claire were in complete agreement about the bombshell effect -  How does that work?  Can an actress just buy rights to a film and then choose to star in it?  Really?

Let's spend the rest of our time together on unanswered questions and our own "afterwords."  How about this question - how would you answer it?

When Hanna implores Ozren to solicit a second opinion on Alia’s condition, he becomes angry and tells her, “Not every story has a happy ending.”  Do you believe this story had a happy ending?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #443 on: August 21, 2009, 11:59:48 AM »
As long as the actress is credible, I don't care who plays "Hanna".  I am looking forward to the movie.  We know the story is well presented by our author.  Anyone have an idea as to date??
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Babi

« Reply #444 on: August 22, 2009, 08:31:03 AM »
  I really like the idea of leaving some things open to the readers imagination.
It sort of makes the reader a participant, doesn't it?  This is a quite different
thing, IMO, from leaving something important unresolved. I admit it might be
hard to explain the distinction, but Brooks achieved it here.

It's not uncommon, JOAN, for an actor to read something he/she really
likes and instruct an agent to buy the filming rights.  It's usually for a brief
term, perhaps a year,so I guess it's actually a lease.  If the buyer decides not to make the film after all someone else will then have an opportunity to bid
for it.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Aberlaine

« Reply #445 on: August 22, 2009, 08:33:42 AM »
I have also read another of GB's books: Year of Wonder.  It, too, is an amazing story that I would happily read again.

I still can't get my head around the events of the book's creation because it was written in reverse chronological order. (Fibro fog is my ever-present companion.)  Did they mesh?   Did one chapter butt up against another so we can watch the journey of the Haggadah uninterrupted?

I think my favorite chapter was Wine Stains and the interaction between Vistorini and Aryeh.  Perhaps it was the longest, most fleshed out chapter, too.

I don't think I'll see the movie when it's released.  My imagination creates scenes as I read the book.  I know those scenes will not be shown in the movie and won't take the chance that I'll be disappointed.

I've enjoyed this discussion, as I have others I've participated in here.  Thank you JoanP for being our guide through this wonderful story.  And thanks to everyone who commented, posted links and filled in the historical parts.

-- Nancy

straudetwo

• Massachusetts
« Reply #447 on: August 22, 2009, 12:05:32 PM »
We all know that not all stories have happy endings, and that's life. 
In POB, the story of the Sarajevo Haggadah ended happily, gloriously and in triumph.  A happy end for Hanna, though, is not
apparent at the end of the book, but GB left it to us to imagine whatever ending we might prefer.  I agree with Babi's comment.

I liked GB's answer to our question about the reason for the repetitive cycles of religious intolerance in several parts of the world: "A defective gene in homo sapiens?"

"Wine Stains" was a special chapter for me, too, because I lived in the city a lifetime ago. It has a special kind of luminosity.
Incidentally, Venice was the first city to have street lamps, installed in 1732, several years ahead of London. The characters of the rabbi and the  priest  were wonderfully imagined and totally credible. BTW,  the famous Venice carnival season was suspended during the war years.

Gumtree

« Reply #448 on: August 23, 2009, 03:00:31 AM »
 I don't think one can really classify POB as any particular genre but I think the overriding impression is of history and the habit humans have of allowing the history to repeat itself. It's also the story of survival - the survival of the Haggadah, the survival of the oppressed, the survival of religious faith, and above all, the survival of a humanity which transcends ethnic and religious considerations.

Geraldine Brooks weaved these elements into an engrossing story which captured the reader's imagination. Her characters seem real and we are left with enough unresolved ends to keep us interested in the characters even after the story moves on or we reach the end of the novel.

Personally I enjoyed the journey backwards in time and the shifts in location necessitated by the Haggadah's placement. The movements meant that the stories GB built around the Haggadah were brief but how I was amazed at how well they were fleshed out and how much I cared about the Haggadah and the people who safeguarded it through so many centuries.

As usual the in-depth discussion was probing and the wealth of knowledge shared by SL participants is really something to behold. I am grateful to everyone for their contributions. Special thanks to our leaders who do such a brilliant job teasing out opinions and clarifying issues raised by the reading. Wonderful. Thank you all.

As for March - I've read it  and must say that I'd never given any thought to who the father in Little Women was based on or what was really going on at the time at least in relation to the Little Women story so it took me quite by surprise. It could be worth a discussion though I think I'd rather wait to see what GB's next novel holds for us.

Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Gumtree

« Reply #449 on: August 23, 2009, 03:19:32 AM »
And here's one last plug for Australia-

This is the general view of Sydney Harbour Hanna would have seen  from the Department of Foreign Affairs office (though her view would be from a higher vantage point and more panoramic) It shows the Sydney Opera House on Bennelong Point and the Bridge stretching from the CBD area to the North Shore. If you can zoom in to the Bridge you'll see two flags flying on the apex of the arch - they are each the size of a tennis court.

The leaves on the tree framing the picture are of a Moreton Bay Figtree located in the Botanical Gardens which the DFAt offices overlook and from where Hanna took a tiny seed of the Moreton Bay Figtree to place between the quires of the Haggadah for future restorers to ponder.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Sydney_Harbour_Bridge_and_Opera_House.jpg

Gumtree

« Reply #450 on: August 23, 2009, 03:34:40 AM »
A few more pictures of Sydney in this Wikipedia article - the Harbour is immense and very beautiful - it's really Port Jackson but known worldwide as Sydney Harbour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Jackson

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #451 on: August 23, 2009, 07:04:42 AM »
Ah Gum, it has meant so much to us to have you join us - your posts bring a true picture of Australia to us...that it is not all dusty  Outback - or a town called Alice.  The breathtaking rock art links brought us back in time to aboriginal roots, and the photos of big cities show us as modern and bustling as any in the world!  Personally, I loved the twisted gumtree - though still wonder if all gum trees "twist" - and if they grow all over - in the modern city of Perth for example! I will always have the image of that twisted tree when I see your name, Gum.

Your mention of the fig tree seed Hanna planted for future restorers suggests to me that People of the Book may not have had a "happy ending"  - that the jury is still out.  Traudee reminds us of that old "defective gene in homo sapiens"  which may still rear its ugly head before all is said and done.  Perhaps we haven't reached the "end of the story yet - sadly.  

I see Hanna returning back to Australia too, Annie - I don't see Oz ever wanting to leave Sarajevo.  So, I don't see a romantic "happy ending"  here either.  If there was a happy ending, it was the fact that Hanna learned the truth of what had happened to the Haggadah, her confidence in herself restored.  Oh, and Ozren, having a part in smuggling the precious manuscript back into Sarajevo meant redemption for his earlier act of taking it out.  I'm afraid I forget what happened to the facsimile that is supposed to have been on exhibit in Sarajevo for those six years or so...I do remember praying that the facsimile not be burned - enough book burning in this book!  But where did it go?

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #452 on: August 23, 2009, 07:25:08 AM »
Claire, your contributions on the "arty"  sections of the book were invaluable - and the photo of sweet Laura will go into the archives with this discussion.  Thank you for sharing that.  Babi, thanks for the explanation of what it means to have "film rights"  to a movie. A lease. Nancy, I smiled when I heard that you do not intend to see the film no matter who plays Hanna.  I can understand that. As Babi says,  she likes  the idea of leaving some things open to the readers imagination.  I had seen Zeta-Jones photo early in our discussion - and she became my image of Hanna so early, that if she actually does play the role, I won't be disappointed.  I think she can play down the "bombshell" image.

It's funny, that women and their relationships were such an important part of Brooks' story - and yet a good number of us treasure the wine stain story with the rendering of the relationship of the priest and the rabbi as favorites.  Me too!  I thought GB did a masterful job with these two characters!

Before we go our separate ways - until the next journey - (Dickens, anyone? - his last, perhaps his best, certainly Edwin Drood will never leave you!) - I'd love it if you address question number 2 -

None will argue the fact that the Haggadah's survival was symbolic of the plight of the Jewish people over the years - but do you see an even broader theme here?

Have a SUPER Sunday, everyone!

Babi

« Reply #453 on: August 23, 2009, 09:00:35 AM »
  A beautiful view, GUM.  Thanks for finding it for us.

It occurs to me that filming this book is bound to be difficult.  How will
they pursue the clues found in the Haggadah, telling all those different
stories?   Will it be too much?  Will the viewer be able to understand what
is taking place, or will it be therribly confusing?  Hmm....

Mippy

« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2009, 09:17:37 AM »
Big Thanks to our wonderful DL's  JoanP, Traudee and JoanK.  I have really enjoyed the book and the detailed discussion, although visitors this month kept me away from my computer and from participation.   This was truly an excellent choice for SeniorLearn !

I've recently read March, and I'm not sure if I'd participate in a discussion, but perhaps others would like it better.    Gumtree ~ I agree that Brooks' upcoming new novel might be worth waiting for, rather than a discussion of March.

quot libros, quam breve tempus

so P bubble

« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2009, 11:38:06 AM »
Thanks JoanP, Traude and JoanK.  It was a most enlightening book discussion.

EvelynMC

« Reply #456 on: August 24, 2009, 01:30:25 PM »
Great book.  Great discussion.  Thanks to all you fellow SeniorLearn Bookies.

Evelyn

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #457 on: August 25, 2009, 11:24:46 AM »
JoanP
I thought of a description of this book.  I call it a "history mystery".  Really liked it and am looking forward to the next one.  I enjoyed this more than "The Da Vinci Code".

Thanks to all you joined us in this most enticing story.  See ya' next time.   ::)
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #458 on: August 25, 2009, 11:11:56 PM »
I'm sorry I was traveling and without much internet access for the end of this discussion.  But I wasn't needed.  You said it all--asked and answered every question I could think of except one (I wondered if any particular Australian painter was the model for Sharansky's work) with exceptional completeness.

This is an example of SeniorLearn discussions at their very best: a complex and interesting book, inspiring and dedicated DLs, and an active, interested, group of participants, all with their own special knowledge to add, and all willing to dig up a wealth of extra information.

Hip, hip, hooray for everyone!!!

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: People of the Book ~ Geraldine Brooks ~ Book Club Online
« Reply #459 on: August 26, 2009, 02:45:09 PM »
Thank you, everyone!  Hasn't this been a grand adventure!  It doesn't seem to want  to end.  Please meet in the Library if you come across anything related to this story- once this discussion  has been archived, okay?  What do you think, a "history mystery"? 

Annie, you asked the question about a date set for the movie and I passed it on to Geraldine B., who responded -
"NOT YET.  NOT EVEN A SCRIPT YET."  
I almost asked her who would be writing the film script, but this might be a sensitive area for an author, don't you think?

PatH - hopefully you had a good vacation.  We just got back from granddaughter's 8th birthday celebration in Memphis.  Now we need to rest!
I passed your question about the Australian painter who was the model for Sharansky's work to GB this morning and she responded immediately  -
"NO PARTICULAR ARTIST.  IT'S THE PAINTING I WOULD PAINT, IF I COULD PAINT."

How about we remain open another day or so before turning out the lights?  Hopefully the same cohort will move on to the next discussion...Dickens' The Mystery of Edwin Drood.  As PatH put it so beautifully - "This is an example of SeniorLearn discussions at their very best."  I agree, wholeheartedly!

Hip, hip!!!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #460 on: August 27, 2009, 03:16:16 PM »
I'm sorry in a way that Sharansky isn't modeled after a real painter, because I'd love to see his works.  I have a definite mental picture of what they would be like, based partly on the aboriginal paintings people have posted links to, and partly on the description on p. 203: "...a gorgeous, burning expanse of Australian sky with just a strip of hard red desert implied in a few lines of paint in the lower quarter of the canvas."

I see them as looking raw, crude and stark at first glance, but as you stare at them you see both great power and considerable subtlety.

Babi

« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2009, 08:22:06 AM »
  I see that Catherine Zeta-Jones will be starring in a new Broadway production
of "A Little Night Music", with Angela Lansbury.  So it does not appear as though she will be filming "The People of the Book" anytime soon. Ah well,
perhaps while she is on Broadway, some writers will be working on the film
play.  Hope so.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2009, 02:06:07 PM »
PatH, from the way GB describes the fictional Sharansky artwork that she sees in her mind, I wouldn't be surprised if she picked up her brushes that she couldn't produce something every bit as striking as what she describes.

And Babi, since the screenplay hasn't even been written, I wouldn't expect a movie any time soon.  Wouldn't that be an unenviable task, trying to write the screenplay for this book?  Let's share any news we might hear about a movie - in the Library.

All good things must come to an end.  This discussion must now be archived, but not before thanking all of you for making this discussion what it was!  PatH said it best - I won't even try to add to it - Thanks everyone!

"This is an example of SeniorLearn discussions at their very best: a complex and interesting book, inspiring and dedicated DLs, and an active, interested, group of participants, all with their own special knowledge to add, and all willing to dig up a wealth of extra information." PatH