Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 103991 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2009, 12:04:51 PM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

mrssherlock

« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2009, 04:00:22 PM »
It just doesn't compute that Morse would  commit an act that would bring unwelcome attention to the recipient.  Surely a man whose entire career consisted of detection and analysis of subtle clues would not be so careless.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2009, 08:26:28 AM »
Surely a man whose entire career consisted of detection and analysis of subtle clues would not be so careless
  Just speaking in general, JACKIE, I think anyone could get in a hurry and
slap a stamp on a letter without thinking that someone might find it alarming
or threatening. To him it was probably just a stamp.  It is amazing how much
can be affected by so simple an action, but we all know it happens.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2009, 03:17:59 PM »
So far, every episode I've seen had a woman character that looked like a possible companion for Lewis, and nothing came of it, although last time, they just quarreled. It was definitely Colin Dexter's pattern. I hope they don't repeat it.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2009, 10:38:01 PM »
Have you noticed that Chief Inspector Innocent has looked a little softer, more feminine in these last couple of films.  I saw the Lewis pilot about a year ago and then our local station ran another Lewis before this current series started.  Innocent had a longer, more severe hairdo, and looked less attractive than she's been recently.  She's not a candidate for Lewis -- there's a Mr. Innocent somewhere.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2009, 12:29:58 AM »
LOL. I don't think that the Chief Inspector would be a good match for Lewis.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2009, 12:36:31 AM »
Babi, I have a formula I follow when making a suggestion by Phone.

I say "I'm hearing impaired -- but I would like to request/suggest   --- blah blah."
Tell them what you think, give your name and email if you want, then say thank you and hang-up

Babi

« Reply #127 on: September 11, 2009, 08:29:42 AM »
  I have given thought to what I would do if an emergency came up while I
was alone, PAT.  I would pretty much need to handle it just that way. Call
the number, hope I could tell when someone answered, and start with "I
have an emergency. I am deaf, so I cannot answer any questions. Please
listen carefully."  And then give them all the information they would need to
come a-runnin'. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: September 11, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »
It sounds like we're going to learn more about Hathaway in the episode that airs this Sunday.  In "Born of Fire, " a man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church, leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence.

I hope that Hathaway is going to come through this one okay.

Babi

« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2009, 08:43:05 AM »
 Oh, surely, he must!!  Hathaway is a major factor in the success of this  series, IMO.  My patience is being tested, waiting for these shows to return to my station.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #130 on: September 13, 2009, 10:27:30 PM »
Now that was some episode!  Hathaway came out on top, but it was a close call up until the last minute.

It really held my attention.  Good acting -- better I think than some of the earlier programs.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #131 on: September 14, 2009, 08:22:49 AM »
This was a really good episode.  It held my attention throughout the whole story. I enjoyed the scenery just as always.  The acting was superb  and the storyline was excellent in my opinion.

This is a really good series.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

mrssherlock

« Reply #132 on: September 14, 2009, 01:37:01 PM »
My PBS station is having a pledge break so no Masterpiece Mystery Sunday.  There are two Lewis episodes playing later this week:  Life Born of Fire as well as The Great and the Good.  Which one is being discussed now?
I did stumble upon a concert by Celtic Thunder and  I was wowed.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #133 on: September 14, 2009, 03:14:14 PM »
MrsSherlock, the current episode is ife Born of Fire. It was exceptionally good.

Hathaway is featured prominently in this episode. Fox did a wonderful job of showing Hathaway's inner conflict while trying to stay impartial and professional.

I missed last weeks' episode so I hope it is still posted on the net to view. I could have sworn I found an Inspector Lewis episode on Comcast's On Demand several weeks ago, but they've messed with their menu listings again and now PBS is listed in a different spot and the I L is no longer included.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2009, 07:21:25 PM »
Frybabe, you can watch MUSIC TO DIE FOR online through September 20. The current episode, BORN OF FIRE, is available through September 27.

I too was captured by BORN OF FIRE. I didn't see the end coming at all.

During the episode I thought that Hathaway was filled with remorse at what he sees now as a rigid adherence to indoctrination and his immaturity and insensitivity when he was younger. He almost blows it with Lewis because he's still covering up his past and lies to Lewis. I hope that we'll see Hathaway continue to grow and develop in the rest of the series. I liked the line by the man who had given Lewis the plot of land to garden, when Lewis came back and told him he couldn't take it. It was something about the various reasons that people don't continue to garden and the last reason was that they found they were needed elsewhere (something like that). I think that Lewis and Hathaway need each other for different reasons.

Babi

« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2009, 08:54:23 AM »
I was fortunate enough to hear Celtic Thunder before the last of my
hearing left me; they are definitely worth a 'wow'!

I think that Lewis and Hathaway need each other for different reasons.
I think that may be true of any solid partnership, don't you think, MARCIE?
I will be so glad when my local station starts running the 'Lewis' series
again. Heaven only knows when that will be.

Mippy

« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2009, 09:11:30 AM »
Frybabe ~  I also could not find the episodes I missed on Comcast ... if you figure it out, do let me know.   I only have "on demand" for a few more weeks before I shut this house for the season.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2009, 04:48:00 PM »
Babi, yes, I do think that complementary needs help to sustain a partnership. Hathaway is technically Lewis' "junior" (is that how you put it?). Even though Hathaway is "book smarter" than Lewis, Lewis has experience and maturity. I think that Lewis didn't have a very good mentor in Morse as to how to help and support a lower-ranking officer/partner. It looks like he might figure out ways to support and teach Hathaway.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2009, 06:04:22 PM »
I liked "Life from Fire" very much, too.

SPOILER, DON'T READ BELOW

Again, it followed the pattern that any woman who became a romantic interest has to be the muderer. If they are going to do this every time, it just isn't going to work!! Aside from the misogyny, it takes all the suspense away.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2009, 04:28:52 PM »
It looks like the episode for this Sunday, The Great and the Good, focuses on Lewis and whether his negative feelings about "academics" influence his ability to investigate this case. I hope we'll learn more about Lewis in this one.

nlhome

« Reply #140 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:29 PM »
I watched this episode on line because I was out of town (enjoying the absolutely fine weather we have been having) Sunday night. I would much rather be curled up on the couch with a snack, watching the bigger screen. But anyway, I found this interesting, but I did figure out the ending and "who dun it" long before Lewis did.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. I love the scenery and the conversations between Lewis and Hathaway.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #141 on: September 18, 2009, 11:47:05 PM »
I agree, nlhome. I really enjoy programs where there are interesting and humorous exchanges between the main characters.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #142 on: September 21, 2009, 10:37:10 PM »
Am I the only one who watched last nights episode.  I had trouble understanding the actors at first. I  did get to where I could understand them before it was over but I am going to watch it on line to clear things up.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #143 on: September 22, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »
I also watched the episode. It had a somewhat convoluted plot.

At the end, (this doesn't have to do with the mystery resolved during last night's episode) are we to think that the hit-and-run accident that killed Inspector Lewis's wife might not have been an accident?

Lewis and Hathaway had some good lines together and Hathaway stayed to help Lewis go through all of those papers.

nlhome

« Reply #144 on: September 22, 2009, 08:23:03 AM »
I watched it Sunday night and enjoyed it. I do have to listen carefully to the dialogue, but I think then I pay attention to the whole program more.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #145 on: September 22, 2009, 12:01:27 PM »
I've noticed that there are usually several references to computer technologies in each episode. I laughed at one in the last episode where, I think it was, Hathaway (maybe not) who noticed that Oswald Cooper had "photoshopped" himself into a photo with the other men in polo hats.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #146 on: September 23, 2009, 09:05:07 PM »
I enjoyed it. I could hear most of this one. I think it has something to do with the way it's broadcast: the one I couldn't hear was rebroadcast, and that was much clearer.

Babi

« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2009, 08:02:23 AM »
I am trying to locate a phone # for our local PBS station, which operates out
of the Univ. of Houston.  I want my daughter to call them, express my disappointment over the mid-series cutoff, and ask when the series will
resume. You would think it would be easy to get in touch, ..but no, it isn't.

Frybabe

« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2009, 10:36:55 AM »
I noticed that The Great and the Good is up on the Comcast On Demand site now. They moved the PBS to the History and Nature section. No wonder I couldn't find it last week. Odd place since PBS does more than just history and nature.

mrssherlock

« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2009, 12:25:05 PM »
I watched the Fire one last night; Great comes on tonight and Sunday will resume the regular schedule.  Fire was so powerful.  The ending, with Hathaway holding the magazine - we had to watch it frame by frame to find out its name.  What a sly ending.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2009, 01:52:26 PM »
Babi, there is a phone number on your PBS volunteer page at http://www.houstonpbs.org/site/PageServer?pagename=mem_volunteer. "Give us a call at 713-743-8483 or email us at volunteer@houstonpbs.org." If that's not the main number, maybe they could give the correct number to your daughter.

Frybabe, what good sleuthing. I didn't realize that our local PBS had any programs On Demand on cable. I would never have found the PBS masterpiece/mystery.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2009, 02:09:54 PM »
POSSIBLE SPOLIER. Don't read if you haven't watched the episode

mrssherlock, I sort of  noticed the magazine that Hathaway was browsing at the end of the episode but forgot about it. I see that it's Loaded, "a British magazine for men that is considered to be the 'original lads' mag." It looks like it's similar to the U.S. Playboy magazine. It might shed light on Hathaway's sexual preference which is brought up in this episode.

mrssherlock

« Reply #152 on: September 24, 2009, 02:34:41 PM »
Marcie:  That's what I meant about its being a sly ending but I didn't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen that episode yet.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: September 24, 2009, 06:51:48 PM »
oops, Mrssherlock. I hope my comment didn't spoil it for anyone.

Babi

« Reply #154 on: September 25, 2009, 09:00:07 AM »
MARCIE, you're a marvel. I didn't see any 'volunteer page' when I was
searching. I'll try the e-mail address first. If that doesn't work I'll
ask my daughter to try the phone number.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #155 on: September 25, 2009, 09:51:24 PM »
I hope you're able to make contact, Babi.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #156 on: September 25, 2009, 11:09:07 PM »
The next episode, Allegory of Love, is about a rising author and Oxford's literary elite. It should be interesting for all of us book readers!

It looks like in my area we skip a week of Masterpiece and the next episode will air on Sunday, October 4.

Meanwhile, we can talk about anything that comes to mind in thinking about any of the episodes we've seen over the past couple of months.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #157 on: September 27, 2009, 12:06:20 AM »
Not sure that I will be able to watch tomorrow night's PBS Mystery production as I will be in Chicago to attend an Elderhostel.  I will be there until Friday.  It is at the Art Institute and I am very excited about it.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #158 on: September 27, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »
Joan, I hope you enjoy your Elderhostel trip. It sounds like a great one.

It's possible that the next episode of Lewis won't be shown until October 4 in your area too.

P.S. Alabama is doing great in football! You must be proud of your team.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #159 on: September 27, 2009, 05:54:55 AM »
Yes Marcie,  the Elderhostel is going to be a great one.  I just dread going anywhere right now because my son has been ill with his heart again and my daughter-in-law has had a kidneystone.  Of course there is always the fact that I am leaving an ill mother also. So it just makes it difficult to feel really good about a trip.

Oh yes Marcie, my football team is fabulous this year and I spend a lot of time reading about it and going to games on Saturdays.  Really enjoyed todays game inspite of the fact that it was raining very hard at the beginning of the game.  My daughter went with me to the game this week and we were both just soaking wet but the rain did stop soon after the game started.

Joan Grimes