Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 104239 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2009, 02:24:40 PM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2009, 02:24:54 PM »
You're a loyal fan, Joan, to attend the games in the pouring rain! I'm sorry to hear about the family illnesses.

mrssherlock

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2009, 05:53:55 PM »
Since I viewed the last two on consecutive nights my opinion may be somewhat biased.  Fire was a powerful, very moving story which caught me up right from the start.  Good left me flat, uninvolved, not much caring who did what.  If I had seen Good before Fire and/or the interval had been greater than 24 hours I can't say that my feelings would be the same.  it's like when I read a book that so enmeshes me that I suffer almost a jolt when it ends and I come back to my real world.  The next book has to be fluff, literally. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2009, 08:14:09 PM »
Jackie, I agree with your assessment. The Great and the Good didn't have the emotional power of Life Born of Fire. I'm thinking it may be because Hathaway, and Lewis too,  were a major focus of Fire, and there didn't seem to be a central focus on anyone we cared about for The Great and the Good. The plot was kind of convoluted resulting in my feeling a distance between myself and all of the characters.

mrssherlock

« Reply #164 on: September 28, 2009, 12:01:18 AM »
My local PBS station is broadcasting Ken Burns' National Parks every evening this week.  Haven't found Inspector Lewis yet but will continue to search.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2009, 08:58:42 AM »
 Finally!  My local PBS station will be resuming the Inspector Lewis series next
Sunday. Two shows then; another one the following Sunday.  I will still be
hopelessly behind the rest of you, but at least I will be able to enjoy the programs.
  I am so grateful to you, MARCIE,  for keeping this discussion going for our
mystery loving posters. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2009, 09:17:16 AM »
I am kind of bummed. Comcast took The Great and the Good off their On Demand already. They must just put it up for a few days. That is twice now that I saw it listed and when I went back to actually watch it, it was gone. They ususally leave programs up for a few weeks.  I can still watch in on the net though.

My PBS station played all the National Parks series last night.

Babi

« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2009, 09:33:04 AM »
 So did mine, FRYBABE.  I mean, the National Parks are gorgeous, but I was
still miffed about their cutting off my series to re-run a couple of dozen old
shows!  Ah, well. I must give them the benefit of a doubt.  They must have had their reasons.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #168 on: September 28, 2009, 11:19:37 AM »
Yes, we have the National Parks this week also. Then Lewis is back next Sunday.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2009, 02:52:38 PM »
We had "The National Parks" too. Gorgeous show and I'm glad it didn't put me behind the rest of you.

nlhome

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2009, 03:01:27 PM »
We also had the National Parks.

mrssherlock

« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2009, 03:29:15 PM »
Looks like Oct 4th we'll all be up to speed again.  There are some exciting shows scheduled for later this winter; one stars David Henshall who was so good in the SF series "Primeval".  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/schedule/masterpiece_contemporary_schedule.pdf
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2009, 04:03:24 PM »
Those look like exciting thrillers, mrssherlock. Here's a link to a web version of the schedule.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/contemporary/index.html

It looks like one of the programs, Place of Execution, is based on a novel, by Val McDermid.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #173 on: October 03, 2009, 08:35:44 PM »
Don't forget to watch Inspector Lewis tomorrow evening!

mrssherlock

« Reply #174 on: October 03, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »
My sister has invited me to spend a few days at the beach so I won't get to see it 'til I come home,  But I'll be checking in here.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #175 on: October 03, 2009, 09:37:53 PM »
Have fun, mrssherlock!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #176 on: October 04, 2009, 02:50:00 PM »
I must admit, I'd give up even a good mystery for the beach. have fun.

Babi

« Reply #177 on: October 04, 2009, 04:27:20 PM »
Finally, my local PBS station is resuming the Inspector Lewis Series II and I'll
get to see the shows all of you have already seen. I'm so glad; it's one of the
best series they've had, IMO.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #178 on: October 04, 2009, 05:56:38 PM »
Hooray, Babi! I'm glad you're getting the series again.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #179 on: October 04, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
Well  I am home after a wonder week in Chicago at an Elderhostel at the art Institute.  So I will be watching the episode tonight..

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #180 on: October 04, 2009, 08:22:17 PM »
It sounds like you had a wonderful time, Joan. Maybe you'll share some highlights with us, here or in the Library.

We'll look forward to your comments after you see the episode.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #181 on: October 04, 2009, 10:31:03 PM »
The Inspector Lewis --  Allegory of Love was good, great really.  They are getting better.
The surprise ending  was truly a surprise.  I won't say more because some will see it later in the week.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #182 on: October 05, 2009, 08:06:53 AM »
I thought this episode was the best yet.  However I figured out who the murderer was early on.But I was not sure of the reasons for it all until quite late in the show.  I am trying not to say too much since I do not want to spoil it for others.

Joan Grimes

nlhome

« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:24 AM »
The program started an hour later than usual, and after a day with a grandchild and yard work and driving, I couldn't keep my eyes open. Hope to see it later. I'm enjoying the series.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #184 on: October 05, 2009, 11:46:17 AM »
You and me both, nlhome.  I've taped it, and it's there, so happy watching tonight and tomorrow.

Glad to read y our good report, Pat.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #185 on: October 05, 2009, 02:56:16 PM »
I enjoyed the episode too. I didn't figure out who the murderer was. I recognized some of the  actors from other films. The doctor was  Mr. Wickham from the BBC production of "Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth).

I do think that even the BBC is bringing in "shock" themes to their plots to attract viewers. I wonder if it really does bring in more viewers than it turns off.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #186 on: October 05, 2009, 04:07:51 PM »
MARCIE:  stock theme!! Stock solution! You know who the muderer is from the getgo because they all follow the same pattern!! That's Colin Dexter -- that's why I stopped reading his books. he had that same solution in many of them. When Morse took over acting the old TV series, he refused to go along with it, reportedly saying that his daughters would never speak to him again if he did.

I don't know how stupid Dexter thinks we are, but find a new plot!!!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2009, 06:26:19 PM »
Colin Dexter isn't writing the Lewis series. It's some other writers.

Usually the murderer (if not the victim) is the most famous actor in the cast. I don't think it was the case this time. Don't want to talk specifics until everyone has a chance to see the episode.

The episode was about fantasy literature and that was interesting.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2009, 09:15:52 PM »
i enjoyed the production but I agree with Joan K that the murder was identifiable from almost the beginning...I usually can identify the murder right off in most mysteries...if one surprises me it is unusual...I thought it was just because I have read so many mysteries.

Babi

« Reply #189 on: October 06, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »
 Just curious, JOANK, since words catch my attention, but was it a coincidence that you referred to 'stock' themes, or did you misread Marcie's  'shock' themes?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #190 on: October 06, 2009, 11:07:46 AM »
Yes, I thought that a couple of the "re-invented" Miss Marple episodes and a couple of episodes in this Lewis series (such as Allegory of Love) had out-of-the-ordinary sex-related plots that we didn't see in the original Agatha Christie and Morse series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:41 PM »
BABI: stock (you know it's stock because it doesn't shock. ;D

Babi

« Reply #192 on: October 07, 2009, 08:42:40 AM »
 Gotya, JOAN.  As in,  'same old, same old'.   ;)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #193 on: October 07, 2009, 10:44:22 AM »
Have you noticed that Jean Innocent seems to be playing more and more of a role.  Not only as big boss, but also as matchmaker, though that certainly bombed.  She does clean up well now.  I wonder if she went to extremem makeover.

I noticed that Prof. Deering was played by a James Fox.  Is that Laurence Fox's father?  I thought he was call Jamie.

Frybabe

« Reply #194 on: October 07, 2009, 11:12:23 AM »
James Fox is indeed Laurence's father. Remember James in King Rat and Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, and Thoroughly Modern Milly? He sure has "filled out" since then.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #195 on: October 07, 2009, 11:34:59 AM »
Pedln, you remind me that I thought, as I watched this episode, that it was "out of character" for Lewis's boss to play matchmaker. The actress did it all very smoothly but Jean Innocent is usually all business. It was rather odd.

Perhaps, they are trying to give her more of a role. I notice that in some episodes, she's the one who does computer searches whill Lewis looks on. I may remember this incorrectly, but didn't Lewis do the computer searches when he was working with Morris?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #196 on: October 11, 2009, 01:52:04 AM »
The QUALITY OF MERCY will be showing in my area tomorrow evening. I'll put up the preview information for that episode tomorrow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
This next episode sounds interesting! We're going to learn more about Lewis. "As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy." I wonder if Hathaway is going to come to his aid.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2009, 02:55:54 PM »
I am really looking forward to seeing this production tonight.  It sounds like it will be very good.   I have been housebound all week with the flu and am looking forward to Mystery tonight.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »
I'm sorry, Joan, that you've had the flu. I hope you'll be feeling all better soon.