Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 103953 times)

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« on: July 30, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

Babi

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 09:03:17 AM »
 I've seen a number of the Inspector Morse films, but I've not read any of the
books.  Perhaps that was just as well; I could watch without making comparisons.  I wonder, now, whether my library carries the books?  I
guess I'd better find out.  ???

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »
I have read all the Inspector Morse Novels. I love them.   I have also seen the film productions of several of them.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 04:43:26 PM »
I believe that the "backstory" for Inspector Lewis's character and references to the past is based on the Colin Dexter Morse novels and the PBS productions but the new Lewis series I and II are new screenplays. Colin Dexter is a consultant to the production.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 10:53:44 PM »
Yes Marcie,

I think you are right about the Inspector Morse novels being the "backstory" for the Inspector Lewis Character. I own most of the Inspector Morse books.  For years I went to
England at least once a year and I would look for the latest Inspector Morse novel while I was there.  I did not have wait until they were published in the United
States.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 11:18:20 PM »
That must have been fun, Joan, reading Morse in his own setting!

Babi

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 09:17:41 AM »
 Everybody please note Marcie's 'heads up' and the statement in the heading,
ie.,
background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels. 
  The key elements here are "background" and "based on".

If these are indeed entirely new screenplays, then reading the Inspector Morse
books would be entirely a matter of choice.  I think I woud like to read one or
two if only to get a feel for the Inspector Morse created by Colin Dexter, and
familiarize myself with the 'background'.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 03:38:19 PM »
I enjoyed the Inspector Morse books. I'm looking forward to seeing more of Inspector Lewis.

EvelynMC

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 04:09:16 PM »
I thought the Inspector Lewis series was starting tomorrow.  So thanks for the heads up.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
 Nope, August 16 is the first date for the Morse series. So all us 'Masterpieces'
can put our feet up and relax for a couple of weeks.  In a manner of speaking.
I really do need to sweep off my large porch; the wind blows all sorts of stuff
onto it.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 12:10:41 PM »
 ;) Babi.

mrssherlock

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 12:54:15 PM »
Next week will be Foyle's war.  I wish they would reshow Inspector Morse.  One of my favorites.  PS:  If there are Christies available, I'd like to read the set. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2009, 08:03:03 AM »
 I think I've seen all the 'Foyle's'.  Inspector Morse, on the other hand,...I think
I missed a few of those. I don't doubt that sooner or later, Masteriece' will run
them again.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2009, 11:23:31 AM »
I too wish that PBS would show Inspector Morse again. Enough time has passed since I saw the original series so that I likely won't remember "who done it" :-)

The following isn't a mystery site, but when I was looking for a possible schedule for Inspector Morse, I found this interesting "period films" site at http://enchantedserenityperiodfilms.blogspot.com/2009/06/pbs-masterpiece-schedule-2010.html

They say that a version of "Emma" and "Cranford 2" will be broadcast by PBS in early 2010.

Babi

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 08:24:41 AM »
 I like that title, "Enchanted Serenity", in reference to the old period films. It
says it so well for me.
 I remember wanting to view the original "Cranford", only to discover to my disappointment that it did not have closed captioning.  I hope that is not true of these films.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 03:24:43 PM »
Hi, Babi. I am wondering if the closed captioning is a service that is provided by the local PBS station? The Cranford site at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/cranford/credits.html says:

"Masterpiece has been presented on PBS by WGBH since 1971. The series is closed-captioned for deaf and hard-of-hearing viewers by The Caption Center at WGBH. A special narration track is added to the series by Descriptive Video Service® (DVS®), a service of WGBH to provide access to people who are blind or visually impaired."

It looks like the DVD does provide captioning.

Babi

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2009, 08:33:50 AM »
Excellent, MARCIE!  I perused the link before I finished your post and found the
information.  I could have saved myself the hunt if I'd finished your post first.
    :-\     You're a dear to have found that for me.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
I find the closed captioning very helpful for programs that have a lot of dialog that I don't want to miss. That would be most PBS programs!

Frybabe

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2009, 09:10:00 PM »
I am surprised that little or no mention is made that Kevin Whately played Lewis in the Morse series. Compared to then, Whately now looks, besides older (but not that much), very tired or ill perhaps. That is what struck me the most when I caught a little bit of one of his episodes a year or so ago.

I too miss Morse.

Babi

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 08:58:03 AM »
  I liked Lewis, and I'm pleased to hear he is going to be he lead in the new
series. I do hope the 'tired or ill' is part of the persona, and that he is not
actually ill.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2009, 06:13:17 PM »
REMINDER: Check your local PBS station.

Sunday, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Babi

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009, 09:04:06 AM »
 Here we go! A new series with Kenneth Whatley as Inspector Lewis, starting
tomorrow night.  You remember Lewis from the old Morse series on
Masterpiece Mystery Theatre, I'm sure. 
   Oddly enough, when I went searching for a good site for Whatley, all I found was his 'filmography'.  Moreover, there was no portrait available!  Whoever heard of an actor who doesn't have publicity stills of himself wherever possible?!!  I'm beginning to suspect that Kenneth Whatley is a very private man.  Ve-e-ry interesting.
  Don't forget...tomorrow night, the 16th, on PBS!

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »
My PBS station will not begin the Lewis series until next week because they are fund raising as usual.

Joan Grimes

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2009, 06:09:15 PM »
My PBS station apparently showed an Inspector Lewis last Sunday, and is repeating it tonight -- entitled "Whom the Gods Would Destroy."  This may be an older one.  Several months ago I caught an Inspector Lewis and he had just returned from a rather lengthy stay on an island in the Carribbean -- whether it was on assignment or was R and R, I don't remember.  He did look older, and his wife had died.  And his new boss was a woman, and they didn't see eye to eye.

Babi

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2009, 08:35:29 AM »
 Oh, dear, how annoying, JOAN.  Do check-in and  be sure the fund-raising is
ousting the Inspector Lewis opening.  And PEDLN's station seems to have a
different schedule also.  My local station is presenting "Old School Ties" as
scheduled in our heading.  Take a quick look to be sure, PEDLN, as previews
and ads sometimes get mixed up.
  I do hope most PBS stations are on the same track.  I would watch the
programs anyway, as I love PBS Masterpiece Theatre.  But it would make it
difficult for discussion.
  Watch tonight!  Chat (or gripe) in the morning!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2009, 01:54:49 PM »
I stupidly missed most of the Morse series: the first one I watched was the one where he died. but I've seen some Lewis's. Have to check my program listing.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2009, 10:27:46 PM »
They don't seem to be showing the encore Lewis I series on my local PBS stations either! :-(

I'll be watching the episode online. It will be available as of tomorrow at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 10:30:19 PM »
Checking in:  Just finished the 90 minute Masterpiece Theater, Old School Ties. 
Lots of good suspects with an unusual ending.

I'll watch it again on Thursday.

Babi

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
  I'm in early this morning; can't sleep.  So, I'll get an early start on "Old School Ties".  Good title; the old school tie theme ran all through the story.  Lewis
had been a schoolmate,..and dated..., the widow of a murder victim. Sergeant
Hathaway shared a school tie with one of the suspects, and was also able to
to learn some useful information by calling on another old school chum.
  Then there was the group of students who actively cultivated school 'ties' as
a useful tool for their career plans.  "Useful" was the key word there; friendship had nothing to do with it.
  What were your first impressions?

nlhome

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2009, 11:02:22 AM »
I watched the program last night and enjoyed. The film techniques and movement were, I think, superior to the Miss Marple programs. The characters were clear and interesting. I loved the setting and scenes showing the buildings and the area. There was the touch of humor, the blend of the old - the school - and the new technology.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »
I don't know whether to watch it online or wait for next Sunday. I won't have time today.

mrssherlock

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2009, 02:12:26 PM »
I really enjoyed this one.  It seems that the audience were to be treated as if they had intelligence.  The characters were carefully delineated though I had trouble accepting Gina Mckee in that particular role.  She was not believable to me as the wife of such a man.  http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html  She is a lovely prescence and the camera seems to love her.  Four stars IMHO!.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

EvelynMC

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »
I watched it last night and enjoyed it very much.  I will watch it sometime this week on the computer.  I can always understand more when I wear the earphones.

I really like the actress who played the widow.   Thanks for her name, MrsSherlock, I didn't know it. --- Gina McKee --- I have seen her in other Masterpiece productions and have always liked her.

Sgt. Lewis looks older and tired.  Hope he is in good health in real life.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:19 AM »
  I'm not familiar with Gina McKee, JACKIE, so perhaps that's why I had no
problem with her in the role. She seemed to me exactly the kind of person who
could understand such a man and love him anyway..even though a divorce was
eventually inevitable.

Lewis did look 'old and tired', Evelyn. But then, we all do sometimes,
 don't we?  He is still able to do the job, though, obviously. It's funny,
but I was surprised when I first saw him...so unfamiliar. Then I realized
that I had been mentally picturing not Inspector Morris' sergeant, but the
guy from "Foyle's War".  Once I got that sorted out, I settled in to enjoy
the show.  ('sorted out'...the usual 'English' influence on my vocabulary
when I see one of these shows.)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
Well, no wonder he looks older – it’s been over 20 years since the first Inspector Morse production in 1987.  Here’s a link to the  Official Inspector Morse.

I didn't know Gina McKee either, Babi.  Guess I'm really not very familiar with many contemporary British actors.  Must check to see who plays Hathaway.  I really like him, and what a profile -- did you note that scene with his shadow on the wall?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2009, 10:10:48 AM »
I am going to try to find time to watch this online so that I can keep up with the discussion.

Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 08:39:48 AM »
  Thanks for the link to "Inspector Morse", PEDLN.  Now that I see him again,
I can easily recognize the old Lewis. 
  I really like Hathaway, too.  Now I'm annoyed with myself for missing the
shadow of his profile on the wall. You've intrigued me, and I will be watching
for a glimpse of that profile in the next show.

I do hope you can find time to watch, JOANGRIMES. I think you would really
enjoy this series. It probably helps that we don't have a written version for
comparison. It's so easy, in reading a story, to form one's own impressions of
the characters. Then we're somewhat unhappy with a different take on the role.
   So far we seem to be quite happy with the characters.  Lewis, Hathaway and
Mrs. Turnbull have all met with our approval.  Anyone you didn't like?  Some
of the characters were, naturally, unpleasant people.  But what about the
acting/writing overall?  Any criticisms?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 01:05:01 PM »
I watched the episode online and very much enjoyed it. The acting was great.

I could see that Gina McKee could play the role of an "uppercrust" woman with very different tastes in other films, but I think she was believable as someone who made the choices of career and marriage that she did in this program. It seems she was unsuccessful as an artist/actor earlier in life (accordinging to the psychologist at the prison). It makes sense, too, that her marriage to Nicky was going to end, since they were somewhat of an odd match (but believable to me).

I thought she might be the villain. I didn't suspect the actual culprit(s).

I don't know if I would have noticed the lovely shadowed profile of DS James Hathaway (near the end of Chapter 4, when his wife identifies Nicky's body at the police station) Thanks, Pedln, for pointing that out.

mrssherlock

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 03:37:17 PM »
I liked this one.  Acting was top-notch and so was casting; I'm in the minority about Agina McKee, I guess. She has so much class I couldn't see her falling under the spell of her husband who seemed so crude.  Hathaway has always been my favorite; they don't give him enough to do.  Much as I like Lewis, Hathaway steals the show for me.
Jackie

EvelynMC

« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 04:54:57 PM »
Twenty years since the original Inspector Morse series?? I can't believe it. Time sure goes fast when we're havin fun, or getting older, doesn't it?  ;D

Evelyn