Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 103960 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »

I like Hathaway too, mrssherlock. I love the interaction between the two. It's interesting that Morse was the Oxford-educated lead investigator and Lewis the state-school educated second in command. Now Lewis is in the lead with an Oxford-educated sidekick.

Did you notice that Lewis played a few seconds of opera (like Morse) in this episode and his DS is part of a group that plays a multicultural synthesis of music styles?

I can't believe that's it's been 20 years, evelyn! Of course, I can't believe that we've already passed the 2000 date! :-)

mrssherlock

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 07:13:36 PM »
Yes, the music touches were subtle and sly, weren't they?
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
PLEASE don't mention who did it, for those of us who haven't been able to watch yet.

Babi

« Reply #44 on: August 20, 2009, 09:04:16 AM »
SPOILER ALERT

I didn't suspect David and Chloe either, MARCIE.  In fact, at first I liked
David very much...until he started revealing another side of himself. Usually,
I have a pretty good idea who-dun-it well before the ending of a mystery, so
it's fun to watch a film that really fools me.

I agree the show wouldn't have been as enjoyable without Hathaway, JACKIE.
But be fair,...he's just prettier than Lewis.   ;)   And a good actor.

(I don't know how much fun it is, EVELYN. It seems the time goes so fast now
it leaves my head spinning!  We were well into August before I remembered that my younger daughter's birthday is this month!)

OOPS! Sorry, JOANK.
FOLKS, JOAN HAS A POINT. A NUMBER OF OUR POSTERS HAVE DIFFERENT PBS SCHEDULES.
DO YOU THINK WE CAN AVOID IDENTIFYING THE CULPRITS IN OUR DISCUSSION?

If you're interested, here's a site where you can take a look at the many
colleges of Oxford. Just click on your choice; the article will include
a picture of that college.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/colleges/colleges_and_halls_az/index.html
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2009, 09:45:05 AM »
Interesting comparison, Marcie, about the educations of Morse, Lewis, and Hathaway.  It will be interesting, too, to watch how the relationship between Lewis and Hathaway develops.  There were times with Morse when he seemed heavy-handed, almost bullying, with Lewis, although there was certainly friendship and respect between the two.  Somehow, I don't think Lewis will treat Hathaway the same way, nor would Hathaway let him.

I don't remember if it were in the books or the films, but Lewis was always the one who had to get the drinks from the bar -- what was it? -- OJ for Lewis and Morse's pint?  And of course, Lewis never ever got to drive Morse's litte red(?) car.  Did he?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2009, 11:28:32 AM »
I'm so sorry, JoanK. I should have put a SPOILER warning at the top of my post about "who did it."

Babi, thanks for the link to the colleges at Oxford. I can't remember which college Morse attended. Does anyone else recall?

There is an interesting site here: http://www.tv.com/lewis/old-school-ties/episode/981694/summary.html?tag=ep_guide;summary. It has a list of all of the locations used in each episode of the Inspector Lewis mysteries. Click on EPISODE GUIDE and then EPISODE OVERVIEW below any episode to get around.

Pedln, you're right about Morse sometimes bullying Lewis and having him order and pay for his beer a lot of the time! Morse was very short tempered with anything he thought approached "slow wittedness." I love Morse's red Jaguar!! I don't recall that Lewis ever got to drive it. Do you want to take a spin? http://www.morsejaguar.co.uk/

Babi

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 08:28:28 AM »
  I don't remember the details of the Morse stories all that well, PEDLN.
I see that Marcie was able to answer those questions.  Lewis just drank orange
juice? Now I'm trying to remember if we saw him drinking anything in last
Sunday's show.

MARCIE, thanks for that link. I'd been trying to recall if a specific
college was named in "The Old School Tie", and I don't believe one was.
Your link at least tells us where some of the scenes were actually filmed.
Both Merton and Oriel are mentioned, neither one a well known college here.
I guess the smaller colleges were more willing to be invaded by film crews.

It looks like this upcoming show is also going to be connected with Oxford.
The victim is described as an "Oxford soccer mom". I'm wondering now...is
Lewis'office located in Oxford? From the first film I gathered that he and
Lewis were 'sent down' to Oxford to act as bodyguards.  Of course, it may
simply be that they filmed more than one story while they were on location
there.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 09:12:57 AM »
Babi, probably all of the Lewis stories are going to be set in Oxford.  Oxford was the setting for the Morse stories.The University dominates the city of Oxford.  One is always conscious that it is there when visiting the area.  I have been there many times but then of course Ginny even attended classes there. I haven't done that. I love that area though.

Joan G
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

dean69

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
British mysteries have always intrigued me whether it's Conan Doyle, Agatha Christie, P. D. James, Colin Dexter or some other British author.  I have especially enjoyed the PBS Inspector Lewis I series and am looking forward to the II series. 

I find PBS Masterpiece Theater programs very well done--most of the time.  However, I was disappointed in the last two Miss Marple series, the one with Geraldine McEwan and the most recent one with Julia McKenzie.  It may be because the series with Joan Hickson was so good.  To me Joan Hickson is Miss Marple as David Suchet is Hercule Poirot. 

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2009, 10:59:29 AM »
Welcome, dean69, to our discussion of the Inspector Lewis series. I'm in agreement with what you say about the PBS British mystery series and about the Miss Marple variations.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2009, 01:34:11 PM »
I finally watched Old School Ties this morning. I really enjoyed it. I thought the acting was really good. Seeing Oxford in the film was wonderful.  I think it was so much better than the Agatha Christie that they did this summer.

Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2009, 08:49:24 AM »
 Good point, JOANG; you're undoubtedly right. I'm all in favor of that. Like
you and DEAN, I love English settings and Oxford is a favorite.
  I think we were all disappointed with the latest Miss Marple series, DEAN.
My complaint was not so much Julie McKenzie as Miss Marple, but the really
terrible job the writers' did, tearing Christie's stories to pieces.

Tomorrow night is the second episode in the series for most of us. Those
of you who took part in the discussion of the book about Guernsey during WWII may be interested to know that James Wilby, the grieving widower of
"Expiation", also starred in "Island at War".  That was another MPT film
about the German invasion and occupation of the Channel Islands.
  Did anyone here see that one?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2009, 11:43:34 AM »
Babi, thanks for pointing that out.  Unless they are a household word I usually don't pay much attention to who the actors are --  eventually some of them become familiar to me, mainly because of comments here on SeniorLearn.

Okay, I just looked him up and Wilby played the part of Senator Dorr in the three-part Island at War miniseries. Saw that, enjoyed it.  Now when I see him in Lewis I won't be wondering why he looks so familiar.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2009, 11:56:18 AM »
I agree with Babi that the thing I disliked so much about the recent Christie series was the way that they changed what Chrisite had written.  The stories were nothing like the books from which the titles came.  They put Miss Marple into books that Christie had not used her.  This all just turned me completely off as far as that series was concerned.  The performances of the actors and actresses did not really bother me.

Since the Lewis stories are not from books written by Colin Dexter they could not do the kind of thing that they did with the Christie presentations. Also Colin Dexter is an advisor on these productions.  Because of these things the flavor of the Colin Dexter books seems to be there.

Joan Grimes

Babi

« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2009, 08:11:45 AM »
  I do the same thing, PEDLN.  I lose myself in the story, and really pay no
mind to who the actors really are.  I only identify those I like so well that I want to see them whenever they appear.  I'm constantly asking my daughter,
 "Where have I seem him/her before?"  \
  It  finally dawned upon me that I really should be better informed.  An actor with a long career deserves to be acknowledged. Of course, at this late date,
my short term memory is very short-term.

Nice to know some screenplay writer can't decide to 'do is own thing' with
this series, isn't it, JOAN?   Looking forward to tonight's episode.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2009, 12:49:57 PM »
PBS channels that I can access don't seem to be showing Lewis tonight. I'll watch the episode online, since it will be available as of tomorrow (Monday). That works well for me.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2009, 02:51:13 PM »
WELCOME DEAN!!

Do come into the Mystery Corner and tell us which writers you like.

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=82.880

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2009, 09:43:33 PM »
My local PBS station will be broadcasting the second Lewis presentation tonight.  I am really looking forward to watching it.

Joan Grimes

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2009, 10:41:29 PM »
I just watched it.  A bit bizarre, but good.  Lots of twists and turns.  I wonder if that is the Colin Dexter influence.   But how strangely our memories do work.  I was sure I had not seen this production before. But -- then the professor spoke about Alison Bright, and I'd heard about that horrible incident before.  But that's the only thing that was familiar -- what Alison did, nothing else.  Not Jane Templeton, not anything else.  Guess there are things one never forgets.

Babi

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »
  Perhaps the Alison Bright incident appeared on one of the old Inspector
Morse films, PEDLN.  I found the story hard to believe; it doubt if it is even
possible.
  I have to grin when I hear such wonderful English slang as "stooking great
cheese".  It was used to describe Prof. Pelletier, the 'Regius Professor of
Jurisprudence', so I gather it means a VIP.  I'm really enjoying the diaglogue
between Lewis and Hathaway.
  The viewer had an advantage in this mystery. Having since the cheerful,
happy, active mother/wife/do-gooder in the morning,  I doubt any of us
thought for a second that she suicided that afternoon.  I won't say more
than that until more of our posters have a chance to see this episode.

mrssherlock

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2009, 12:28:07 PM »
That Alison story sounded familiar to me, too.  So did the Arrangement and the pivotal ending. According to Wikipedia this episode was originally broadcast on March 4, 2007.  I must have seen it before.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_(TV_series)#Series_2
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

EvelynMC

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
I knew I had seen the program before as soon as it began, but I couldn't remember much about it, so, of course, watched it again.  The story was weird with all its twists and turns, but enjoyable and the acting was good.  Kind of sad.  Will not say more until everyone has had a chance to see it.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2009, 08:01:41 AM »
 I wasn't aware that one of the episodes had been aired earlier.  2007, huh?
Perhaps it was the success of that film that decided the producers to develop
a series.
  I am more and more impressed with the acting of Laurence Fox. Example:
the confrontation between Prof. Pelletier and Stokes, and seeing Hathatway at the end where he had been hovering close by. (I had to re-write this, to
avoid revealing too much.)
  Between the Sunday and Monday viewing, and the on-line showing...has
everyone here seen the episode now?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
Here is some info from wikipedia about the Inspector Lewis series.

Lewis's adventures started again [after the death of Morse] with the creation of an initial one-off episode first broadcast in January 2006. In this episode, Lewis returns to Oxford from a two-year stint training police in the British Virgin Islands, following the death of his wife Valerie in an automobile accident. Lewis still must work partly in the shadow of the now-five-years-dead Inspector Morse, who some time prior to his death had worked a case involving one of the murder suspects as a juvenile. In the new series, Lewis gains his own junior, Detective Sergeant James Hathaway (played by Laurence Fox), a Cambridge-educated man who joined the police on giving up training for the priesthood.

The popularity of the one-off episode spurred the continuation of the story into a new series, with three two-hour episodes aired in January and February 2007. A second series of four episodes then aired in February and March 2008 (in the UK).

mrssherlock

« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:42 AM »
I would watch Hathaway (Fox) read the phone book.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2009, 11:45:43 AM »
mrssherlock  ;)

isak

« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2009, 07:19:05 PM »
me too!!
isak

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2009, 01:29:11 AM »
It's good to see you here, isak.

Babi

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2009, 08:39:22 AM »
Good morning, ISAK. Good to hear from you.  We all seem to agree that Laurence Fox is a favorite, whether acting or just sitting there looking gorgeous.
  For our enlightenment, here's a bio on Fox:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurence_Fox

What did you think of old-timer James Woods performance as the dying
Professor Pelletier?  To me, he came across as a tough old bird accustomed
to getting his way.  Here he was a professor of jurisprudence, facing death
with the guilt of a great injustice on his mind.
 One of the best lines in the film was Hathaway's reference to the basis of
their case depending on "a dying man and a mentally terminal man". Hathaway
showed great perception in utilizing the Professor's Catholic conscience,
persuading him to unburden himself before he died.
 Certainly the writer here deserves notice and praise. Writer and principal
editor of this episode is Kathleen Cahill.  I rarely pay any attention to
who writes the films, so I don't know anything about her. Here is her rather
impressive home page:

http://www.kathleencahill.org/

mrssherlock

« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2009, 11:27:49 AM »
Fox is married to Billie Piper who was such a disaster IMHO as Fannie Price in Mansfield Park.
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2009, 01:04:14 PM »
Actually, I was always rather fond of his Dad - James Fox.

mrssherlock

« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Kathleen Cahill sounds like she is unique: http://www.fatalsong.com/ That's a production I would like to see and hear.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2009, 08:57:31 AM »
 Oh, dear. I well remember her in Mansfield Park. I do hope she is doing
better as Mrs. Fox than as Fannie Price.

James Fox first appeared on film in the The Miniver Story in 1950. His
other early film appearances were made under the name William Fox. During
the 1960s he gained popularity and appeared to be heading for stardom.
His roles in films such as The Servant (1963), Those Magnificent Men in
Their Flying Machines (1965), King Rat (1965), The Chase (1965), Thoroughly
Modern Millie (1967), Isadora (1968) and Performance (1970) (alongside Mick Jagger.....
   After finishing work on Performance, and following his father's death, Fox suspended his acting career. The strain of filming, his father's death and smoking the hallucinogen DMT led to a nervous breakdown.
 I was surprised at how many of those films I had seen, yet was not familiar
with him by name. There is much more of interest about him. Perhaps I should
just post the link and let you all see for yourself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Fox

"Fatal Song" sounds like the ultimate spoof, JACKIE.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2009, 06:08:40 PM »
Thanks for the link to Fatal Song, Jackie. It sounds very imaginative and fun.  I appreciate the info about James Fox. I've enjoyed him in several productions. The wikipedia article says he'll be in the upcoming (later this year) Sherlock Holmes film, with Robert Downey as Holmes.

I finally watched the episode online. I love the interaction and dialog between Lewis and Hathaway in this episode. Lewis is clearly taking charge after his years as partner to Morse. Lewis has years of experience and good instincts. Hathaway has a lot to offer in terms of his intelligence and education. They make good partners.

I thought that James Woods was believable in his role.

mrssherlock

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2009, 06:37:35 PM »
The casting in this episode was apt as each actor seemed to fit the role.  James Wood played his role very well, I agree.  The overall acting quality of these productions far exceeds Miss Marple/Monsieur Poirot programs.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #76 on: August 28, 2009, 08:35:32 AM »
  Me, too. MARCIE.  I thought the dialogue and interaction exceptionally good
in this episode. I think all our posters have agreed that this series is a real
winner.
  This Sunday will begin all the new episodes filmed for Series II, beginning with
"Moonbeams Kiss the Sea".  Such a delicate, romantic title for a crime series,
isn't it?  I'm curious to know what this one will be like.
  The murder takes place in the Bodleian(?) library.  I'm looking forward to
seeing that. I have two really old books from a series published by the
Bodleian, so this really piques my interest.  Here is a link to a video about the libary.  The age of the place really comes through.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/bodleian-library/1287459418

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: August 28, 2009, 11:34:42 AM »
I agree, Babi. What a wonderful title for the first episode of Lewis II. My PBS station is supposed to show it this Sunday and I'm looking forward to it! Thanks for the info about that huge, great Bodleian Library. It's a great setting for murder :-)

Babi

« Reply #78 on: August 29, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »
 It's a pity more people don't seem to be watching the 'Inspector Lewis' series.
It's a winner!  Perhaps they were so annoyed by the  mishandling of the Miss
Marple series that are leery of this one.
  Do let your friends know that the 'Inspector Lewis' series on PBS Mystery
Masterpiece Theatre is one they would greatly enjoy.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2009, 12:29:31 PM »
I'm eagerly awaiting the one in the Bodleian library. I hope they give us a lot of the flavor of the place!