Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 103948 times)

joangrimes

• Alabama
Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2009, 08:11:47 PM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

I am really looking forward to seeing this episode in the Bodleian Library.  I love that place.

Joan Grimes
Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

Babi

« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:18 AM »
  JOANK, I think nothing could give the 'flavor' of the Bodleian library
better than the 'security system' described by the administrator. Every
one who uses the library has to take an oath to do no damage whatever and
take nothing away.  That's it.  And amazingly, it seems to work quite well.

Okay, now let's get to the really important stuff.  I don't care for Sgt.
Hathaway's new haircut in Series II.   That shaven appearance makes his whole
head look bullet-shaped rather than purely aristocratic.  Having said that, it is
still a joy to watch and listen to the dialogue between Lewis and the Sgt.
   Lewis continues to be less than happy dealing with Oxford academia. He
seems to regard those he has come into contact with as glib and smug. I
admit the ones we have been introduced to did seem to project an air of
intellectual superiority that barely managed to be nice.

If you would like to read the rest of the title Shelley poem, here it is.

Love's Philosophy
Percy Bysshe Shelley (1792-1822)

The fountains mingle with the rivers
And the rivers with the oceans,
The winds of heaven mix forever
With a sweet emotion;
Nothing in the world is single;
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle
Why not I with thine?

See the mountains kiss high heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother,
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea;
What is all this sweet work worth
If thou kiss not me?

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
I've recorded this one and will watch it later today.  Shelley's poem is so moving. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 06:38:39 PM »
Thank you for posting the whole poem, Babi.

I enjoyed last night's episode. There were several very interesting characters. The plot was so packed that I think I'll watch the episode again online to see some of the things I may have missed. I won't say very much now since others haven't viewed the episode yet.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 08:53:17 PM »
I enjoyed last night's episode too. BABI: you're right about the security system: I would have liked to see more of the inside of the library. But there was plenty of quint scenery. I thought the mystery and the characters were very well done and interesting.

One sour note for me: accross the bottom of the screen periodically ran the message "This stations transmission may be interrupted due to the fire damage on Mt. Wilson." There is a huge fire there which is threatening the transmission towers of much of the local media. It is many many miles North of me: I'm not threatened at all. But I can see the clouds from it like a huge mushroom cloud on the horizen.

EvelynMC

« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 11:00:46 PM »
I just finished watching last night's episode tonight on my computer. I have to say, I prefer doing this as I can hear everything better and if I am interrupted, I can pause it.

It was very good, very well acted, well written and the scenery was very pretty. That's all I'll say for now until everyone has had a chance to view it.

JoanK ,  Let's hope the fire continues to stay well north of you and Mt. Wilson is spared.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #86 on: September 01, 2009, 09:03:28 AM »
 As it is now Tuesday morning, I hope more viewers have had a chance to
see this episode.

JoanK, a sour note for me in most programming lately is the new advertisement gimmick.  They run an obtrusive ad right across the bottome of the screen in the middle of most of the shows.  I get so irritated at being distracted from the story in this manner. Something very intense or critical may
be taking place, and here comes this little red helicopter or comedy star
dancing and spinning away.  Grrr. I wish I knew who to contact to inform
that that I hate it, and will not watch the advertised show out of pure
annoyance.
  The fires are terrible. I've prayed about it, and hope the entire area
has heavy rains very soon.

I enjoyed so much about this episode.  That bright young woman leading her
fanciful and very amusing...if wholly fictitious...tours.  Hathaway paging his way
through a computer full of student art, calling Lewis' attention to one entitled
"Drying Paint" (yes, that's what it was), pulling up another one, and quietly
banging his head on the table.   ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #87 on: September 01, 2009, 10:23:59 AM »
I really enjoyed the program too.  It was marvelous. The scenery was just lovely.  The acting was really good.  I am so happy that we have the opportunity to see these productions. I have always loved books and films set in and around Oxford.  There are many of them by different authors.  However Colin Dexter's stories were always some of the very best.  I know he is not the author of these we are seeing now but these are based on his and he is an advisor for the productions.  His influence is there.  I hope that future productions are as enjoyable as this one was.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »
I agree with you, Babi and JoanG. The production was great. I loved the fictitious tours and the imaginative guide who thought of everything as "art." The guy with autism was interesting too, as well as the gamblers.

SPOILER ALERT
I am not sure that I understand how the person's who committed the murder of the girl went that far. Couldn't they steal the art project that was "evidence"?

Babi

« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2009, 02:30:49 PM »
 A reasonable question, MARCIE.  Even if the project were stolen, tho', the girl
could still have gone public, giving the police enough information to confirm the
forgeries.  Apparently our Professor of Romantic Poets preferred murder to
exposure.
   I thought the role of the autistic student artist was so well acted.  That young
actor was Tom Riley,  a name I'm not familiar with but will pay attention to in
future.  It's also so encouraging to see another example of how a person with
a major handicap can still find a useful and satisfying place in the world.

Mippy

« Reply #90 on: September 02, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »
Agreed!  All your comments are right on, and I enjoyed the episode a lot!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

mrssherlock

« Reply #91 on: September 02, 2009, 11:50:17 AM »
Finally, I saw this episode.  It was  one which I will remember, for the autistic artist, for the incandescence of Emily Beecham who played Nell, for the whimsy of teaching Probability by handicaping horse races, for the enchanting scenery.  Who advised Laurence Fox to get his hair cut like that?  The plot was intelligent and original and the world of academia was well represented.  Five stars! 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #92 on: September 03, 2009, 08:34:49 AM »
 "Incandescence".  What a perfect word to describe Nell, JACKIE.

Am I right in thinking that we don't often see a murder victim we enjoyed
and appreciated so much?  So many of them are such disagreeable characters
one wonders how they escaped being murdered so long!
  Whether the haircut was Fox's decision or someone else suggested it, I personally give it a thumbs down.

The 'Five-star' playwright for this episode is Alan Plater. It looks
as though he is the author of three of the episodes for this series. He
has a quite a body of work to his credit, if you care to take a look.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Plater

mrssherlock

« Reply #93 on: September 03, 2009, 09:27:31 AM »
Babi:  Thanks for that link to Alan Plater.  I see he adapted Flambards which we enjoyed immensely  on PBS way back when. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flambards.  I didn't know it was originally a series of novels by K M Peyton. 
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: September 03, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »
"Incandescence" is a lovely adjective and perfect for that character, Jackie.

I hadn't thought about it, but you're right, Babi, that very often the murder victim is someone for whom we don't have much sympathy. Not in this case!

I tried to search and find out if Fox is doing another role for which he might have had to cut his hair but I didn't find anything. In some celebrity photos of him walking around town some months ago with his young baby, his longer hair sort of sticks up (bed hair). Maybe he was tired of trying to tame it :-).

Babi

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2009, 08:22:07 AM »
  I may not have been watching PBS 'way back when', JACKIE.  I don't remember a show called "Flambards".  I have heard of K. M. Peyton, vaguely.

I can sympathize with anyone with hair problems, MARCIE.  No matter how
my hair is cut, there are side strands that insist on sticking out.
I really don't think I could pull off a shaved head, tho'.   :-\

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2009, 01:05:46 PM »
I don't remember Flambards either, Babi, but I think Alan Pater did a wonderful job with this production.  The scenes (and dialogue) with Tom Riley were so realistic.  Even before Lewis asked if he were autistic, the viewer knew this young man had a problem.  I'll give the performance 5 stars.

My understanding is that although  Colin Dexter is not writing the script, that he is advising?

Babi

« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2009, 08:28:57 AM »
 PEDLN, the credits simply say "Inspired by" the Lewis series by Colin Dexter.
 It doesn't appear that he is 'advising'.

TO WHOMEVER IS KEEPING THAT BEAUTIFUL HEADING GOING: could we please get tomorrow's show into the heading now.  It's "Music to Die For".
For those of you who want to take a look at it now, the link is...
 http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html

Hmm!  Who is that gorgeous creature in the scene photo? Some of you
no doubt know; I'll have to wait until tomorrow night. This episode is written
by Dusty Hughes, another name I don't know. 

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »
I read somewhere that Colin Dexter was advising.   I know I did not dream that. may it was on the first series of Lewis stories. However I don't care if he is advising or not as long as the author captures the flavor of the Colin Dexter stories and I think that is being done.  Hope the next one is as good as the last one was.

Joan Grimes

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2009, 01:37:41 PM »
Babi, I meant to put up the new episode yesterday. I'll do that now.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #100 on: September 05, 2009, 07:29:19 PM »
I recognize the blonde actor on the left of the preview screen, above, for this episode as Bradley James. I've watched a few episodes this past season of "Merlin" and he plays Prince Arthur. Wikipedia says that his role in the Inspector Lewis series was his first professional acting role. I'm looking forward to the episode.

mrssherlock

« Reply #101 on: September 05, 2009, 10:46:50 PM »
Marcie:  Please tell me about "Merlin".  I've been fascinated by the Arthurian legend since I read Once and future King by T H White a gazillion years ago. 
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #102 on: September 06, 2009, 12:02:51 AM »
Jackie, there is a television series called "Merlin." It's family entertainment. Liberties are taken with the Arthurian legend but the cast is good and the show has very good production/settings, etc. It's a BBC production but rebroadcast rights were purchased by NBC. There is information and some full episodes available at http://www.nbc.com/merlin/about/making-of.shtml. The first season, which was broadcast on NBC during the summer,  is over but I assume the second season will be broadcast in 2010.

Babi

« Reply #103 on: September 06, 2009, 09:45:57 AM »
THAT'S where I've seen him before! I watched 'Merlin' also, and thought
Prince Arthur was one of the finest looking young actors I've seen in a
while...and he could act, too! I don't understand why Wikipedia would
say 'Inspector Lewis' was his first professional role, since he co-stars
in "Merlin"
  And thanks for taking care of the heading for us, MARCIE. It adds so
much to the discussion.
   Marcie is quite right, JACKIE, that liberties are taken with Merlin and
Arthur...not to mention Guinevere, et al....but you really won't care,
the series so enjoyable.

Meanwhile, tonight's the night! I have been enjoying the "Inspector
Lewis" series so much, I really look forward to each episode.

mrssherlock

« Reply #104 on: September 06, 2009, 09:49:16 AM »
How could I have missed "Merlin"?  Maybe Netflix will allow me to catch up.  Thanks.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #105 on: September 06, 2009, 01:17:49 PM »
Babi, I believe that the Lewis series was broadcast on the BBC before the Merlin series.  We're just catching up on both in the U.S. Jackie, I hope you get to see Merlin. I really like the young actor who plays Merlin too.

I'm looking forward to tonight's episode of Lewis, although boxing isn't my thing.

mrssherlock

« Reply #106 on: September 06, 2009, 06:26:21 PM »
Merlin is listed on Netflix but is not yet available so I've put it into my Save queue.  I abhor boxing so I hope it is present by its absence, not afflicting us with the reality.  The raves about Eastwood's Million Dollar Baby could not induce me to watch it.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2009, 08:33:41 AM »
AARRGGHH!!   "Music to Die For" was not presented last night
as scheduled.  Apparently, Mystery Masterpiece Theatre is no longer scheduled for next Sunday, either.  I have no idea why.  It will be at least two weeks
before it re-appears, ...hopefully.
  Was the show canceled elsewhere, or just in my local area?  I tried going
on-line to watch it this morning, but the on-line program has no closed
captioning.
   If the program has been postponed everywhere, we'll have at least a
two-week hiatus in this discussion.  IF it is continuing as scheduled elsewhere,
then someone else will need to act as discussion leader, since I am in limbo!

Any volunteers?   :(   ???   Help!!!

nlhome

« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2009, 10:32:38 AM »
It was on my PBS station last night.

Nan

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #109 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:24 AM »
It was shown here last night  .  I watched it.   I am going to try to watch it again online because I could not hear it well last night.

Joan Grimes

mrssherlock

« Reply #110 on: September 07, 2009, 01:27:42 PM »
It was on here but I, too, need to watch it again.  I missed something along the way . . .
Jackie

EvelynMC

« Reply #111 on: September 07, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »
I watched it last night and enjoyed it very much.  However, I have to watch it again on my computer because as usual, I missed something, and have to view it again.

As far as the actual fight scenes go, they are few and very short.

Evelyn

nlhome

« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2009, 04:12:31 PM »
I'd like to watch it again myself.
I spent awhile on the computer this morning, researching some of the history.

Nan

Babi

« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2009, 08:24:37 AM »
NAN, do share your research with the posters here.  I am pretty much out of
it.  My local station did not keep to the schedule for "Music to Die For", and does not have Mystery Theatre on next Sunday's schedule, either.
  I'll have to check with the other DL's, and see if someone can take over here.
Drat...what a nuisance!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2009, 02:05:54 PM »
I watched it Sunday night and could only hear about half of what people said. So I only have the dimmest idea of what happenad. I'll have to try again online, but won't have time today: I'm babysitting the grands.

SPOILER WARNING: DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!
Did you notice that the announcer at the beginning as good as told you who the murderer was? Why did they let him do that. All through, I only had the dimmest idea what was happening, but I knew whodunnit (whatever it was).

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2009, 04:12:59 PM »
It was on my PBS station too, Babi. I wonder if your local station had to cancel due to financial difficulties? I don't really know how the payment system works for these types of programs. I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to see it. Let's look around to see if there is a contact email on the PBS Mystery site to request that they consider providing the video with captioning. It's sometimes hard to catch all of the dialog in these shows even if someone doesn't have a hearing difficulty.

SPOILER WARNING: DON'T READ BELOW IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT!

I noticed that remark by the announcer too, JoanK! I immediately thought that he had given something away.

I, too, feel that I missed something in the episode last night. Was the night club bouncer in the stasi ? I'll try to watch at least the last couple of scenes online.

I didn't like the fact that Morse was implicated in the framing of the Wagnerian expert. Morse's letter to him was completely innocent but, because it had a police mail stamp (Morse mailed it from the station rather than from home), the case was made that the Wagnerian expert was working as a spy for the British. It sort of made Morse seem careless.

I also didn't like it when Lewis told the Wagnerian expert's widow that he hadn't thought about Morse in a long time. Lewis must be reminded of Morse quite often in the cases he undertakes. I don't think he would just forget about him.

nlhome

« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2009, 07:41:41 PM »
I just read up on the history of the Stasi, something that I never really knew much about. I'm sure I'll read more about that, fiction and nonfiction, when I get the time.

Babi

« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »
  I am happy and relieved to tell you that MARCIE has agreed to act has DL
for this discussion while I am in limbo.  I do hope my local stations will resume
the series after this two-week hiatus.  They don't show programming more
than a week in advance, so I don't know what will happen after this coming
Suinday.  How very aggravating.
  The only thing I could find, MARCIE, about contacting the local station (which
makes it's own programming decisions) was to telephone.  Obviously, that is
also useless. My ears don't work any better over the telephone.    ;)

Mippy

« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2009, 09:45:35 AM »
Even though my hearing is usually ok, I also had trouble hearing the dialogue and following the plot.   Thereupon I fell asleep in the middle     ???  
I don't even know if I'll watch it on line ... as ending now becomes obvious.

That was a big contrast to the prior episode (with the artist) which I could hear and did like.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2009, 10:55:11 AM »
It could be that the German accents of some of the people in this episode made it more difficult to understand.

In this episode Hathaway teases Lewis about his taste in women (Lewis teases back about Hathaway's taste in music). My recollection is that Morse used to often develop feelings for the woman who was the victim or culprit. We'll see if that is Lewis' fate in future episodes.