Author Topic: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis  (Read 103949 times)

Mippy

Re: PBS Masterpiece Mystery: Inspector Lewis
« Reply #200 on: October 12, 2009, 10:02:31 AM »

Masterpiece continues the mystery programming with Inspector Lewis series I & II, with background based on Colin Dexter's Inspector Morse novels

Two encore presentations from series one of Inspector Lewis are part of the programming: Old School Ties (August 16) and Expiation (August 23). Inspector Lewis: Series II premieres August 30th showcasing seven new cases: Moonbeams Kiss the Sea (August 30); Music to Die For (September 6); Life Born of Fire (September 13);The Great and the Good (September 20); Allegory of Love (October 4); The Quality of Mercy (October 11) and The Point of Vanishing (October 18). Lewis and Hathaway encounter several crimes that take a personal turn, revealing new sides of the inimitable duo and their deepening relationship.

Join us here with your reactions to the shows and the novels.

Sun, October 18: The Point of Vanishing ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Steven Mullan, recently released from prison after having tried to kill celebrity atheist while driving drunk, is found dead in his bathtub. Lewis and Hathaway find a postcard at the crime scene of a Renaissance painting inscribed with the words, "It was no dream." But the case is about to take a surreal, dream-like twist, leaving Lewis and Hathaway drowning in questions about crimes of the past and the present. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/pointofvanishing.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through November 1 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 11: The Quality of Mercy ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A student production of The Merchant of Venice takes real-life deadly turn. Lewis and Hathaway methodically try to make sense of the murderous plot. As the final act is about to unfold, the case takes an intensely personal turn for Lewis, bringing back traumatic memories and invoking a lesson in mercy. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/qualityofmercy.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, October 4: Allegory of Love ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

Young and handsome Oxford writer Dorian Crane is following in the noted fantasy footsteps of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien with his newest book when someone is brutally murdered, seemingly following a pattern in Crane's fiction. Lewis and Hathaway get pulled into the world of Oxford's literary elite, only to find that it harbors resentment and jealousy and at its center, holds terrible secrets beyond all imagination. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/allegoryoflove.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 18 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 20: The Great and the Good ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A teen girl is assaulted, and the clues clearly incriminate someone from her school. But the suspect has an alibi supported by three pillars of the Oxford community. Lewis and Hathaway are determined to crack the alibi. Is Lewis's own status as a social outsider clouding his judgment or do those in Oxford's most prestigious social circles have the most to hide? Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/greatandgood.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through October 4 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 13: Born of Fire ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A man, who Hathaway knows, dies in a church leading Lewis and Hathaway to a shadowy spiritual group, "The Garden."  But as those most intimately associated with the group begin to die, Lewis questions Hathaway's sudden vow of silence. In a case of blind faith and faltering trust, Lewis hurries to learn more about Oxford's religious world and his partner before fire threatens one final victim. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/bornoffire.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 27 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, September 6: Music to Die For ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

An elite Oxford lecturer gets in a drunken brawl at an exclusive club, and is later found strangled by a strip of boxer's hand tape. Lewis and Hathaway become immersed in the brutal world of bare-knuckle boxing as they comb Oxford for the killer.  From the epic operas of Wagner to Cold War intrigue and buried secrets, the case swells to a heart-pounding crescendo, along the way invoking the memory of Chief Inspector Morse. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/musictodiefor.html. Watch the whole episode online (chapter by chapter, if you prefer) through September 20 at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/watch.html.

Sun, August 30: And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea ~ Inspector Lewis - Series II

A body is in the library — Oxford's Bodleian Library. As the victims stack up, Lewis and Hathaway are drawn into Oxford's secrets and contradictions to catch a killer. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/moonbeams.html.

Sun, August 23: Expiation ~ Inspector Lewis - Series I
When an Oxford "soccer mom" is found hanged in her home following a visit from a mysterious stranger, Lewis and Hathaway uncover a web of family and sexual intrigue that convince them the initial suicide verdict may not tell the whole story. A renowned professor, near death and plagued by his own terrible secret, claims to hold the key that will unlock the mystery, but first he wants something from Lewis and Hathaway. Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/expiation.html.

Sun, August 16: Old School Ties ~  Inspector Lewis ~ Series I

Lewis faces his past when he's drawn into a case driven by celebrity, ambition and sexual politics. Assigned to chaperone a celebrity criminal on his controversial visit to Oxford, Lewis thinks the assignment is a waste of time. Soon, though, two people are dead, and Lewis and Hathaway have their hands full.  Learn more and see a preview at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/lewis/schoolties.html.

Discussion Leaders:  Babi and marcie

Joan ~  do get well soon!  We're all thinking of you !!

Well, I watched half of last night's episode, then had to
switch to recording it due to an incoming, important call.
So please don't give away the ending yet!
quot libros, quam breve tempus

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #201 on: October 12, 2009, 12:03:06 PM »
Thanks Marcie and Mippy.  I am sure that I will soon be better.  Just hate staying in the house.

I really enjoyed the production last night.I will not give away anything as I realize many of you have not seen it yet.  The scenery in this one was just gorgeous.  I love beautiful England.

Roll Tide ~ Winners of  BCS 2010 National Championship

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #202 on: October 12, 2009, 12:30:10 PM »
I agree with you Joan. I too enjoyed the episode...and the beautiful scenery.  The BBC productions are consistently beautifully set and filmed.

In the Lewis series, it seems to me there seems to be a bit more attention to the relationship between Lewis and his "junior" Hathaway than there was in the original series between Morris and Lewis.

nlhome

« Reply #203 on: October 12, 2009, 03:31:52 PM »
I started last night, but was interrupted by a phone call also. So I hope to catch up later. What I saw was interesting.

mrssherlock

« Reply #204 on: October 12, 2009, 03:38:30 PM »
For the time being I will be absent from this discussion.  My cable company, DirectTV, has arbitrarily moved some of the public broadcasting programs to its HD schedule.  I haven't switched over to HD, either the TV set or the box, so I have no access to Masterpiece Mystery. :'( Oregon Public Broadcasting is working with them to attempt resolution.  Stay tuned.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #205 on: October 12, 2009, 07:26:19 PM »
What a shame, mrssherlock. Our cable service offers channels for both the HD version of the PBS stations and the non-HD. I hope that you will be able to get PBS again. The Lewis series is available online but not all of the PBS programs are on the Internet.

Frybabe

« Reply #206 on: October 12, 2009, 11:09:23 PM »
I actually thought I would get home early to watch it last night. BUT, one of the press supervisors needed a job and I was the only one in at the time. It wasn't for presses I normally work on, so I was extra careful and took my time. Their imposition setup is a different than I am used to. By the time I got done, it was too late to get home to watch the whole thing. However, I see it is up on  Comcast On Demand until the 17th so I plan to watch it tomorrow.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #207 on: October 13, 2009, 01:34:26 AM »
I'm glad the episode is on Demand. We'll look forward to your comments, Frybabe.

Mippy

« Reply #208 on: October 13, 2009, 07:00:44 AM »
Just saying Hi to amica mea, Frybabe !

Mrs Sherlock ~  I just switched to Directv this week, and still receive the usual PBS station on a "low" number, and with my old TV, just ignore the HD numbers.

Shall we wait a couple more days before a discussion of the episode?       I did watch it last night.   My comments can wait ... so let's talk
about it later on ... I have a couple of questions for y'all.    :)

Babi

« Reply #209 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:15 AM »
Oh, definitely, MARCIE. And deservedly so; the relationship between Lewis
and Hathaway is much closer, and more entertaining, than gruff Morse and his long-suffering Lewis.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #210 on: October 13, 2009, 10:51:31 AM »
Jackie, that really surprises me that Direct TV can just arbitrarily take a PBS channel away from the public and say, "Well, if you want to watch this channel that is supported by tax-payer funds you will have to subscribe to our higher-cost option and pay US more money."  I would hope that the FCC would have some control over that.  I hope Oregon PBS gets it all straightened out and soon.

I don't know how it's done in other areas, but years ago, when cable started up here, and PBS, it was deemed by the powers that be,  that our local area would receive PBS from channel x rather than from channel y, so I would assume the govt. has some say.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #211 on: October 13, 2009, 03:42:33 PM »
Maybe we can start talking about the details of this episode tomorrow and anyone who hasn't watched it yet and plans to do so later, can skip our posts. Would that work?

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #212 on: October 13, 2009, 05:34:54 PM »
Sounds like a good idea to me Marcie.

Joan Grimes

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #213 on: October 13, 2009, 05:43:09 PM »
PBS is public Television and one does not have to have cable, direct TV, or dish network to get it....You only need those if you are getting Hd.

Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #214 on: October 13, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
I did see the episode last night, thought it was one of the best. But will wait til tomorrow to say more.

Boy, if they take away my PBS, I'll be hopping mad!

Frybabe

« Reply #215 on: October 13, 2009, 11:07:05 PM »
I watched the episode this afternoon. Interesting turn of events. Liked it very much.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
SPOILER
« Reply #216 on: October 15, 2009, 10:20:07 AM »
I've watched all except about the last 15 or 20 minutes, I think.  But it's taped and I'll get to it. (When I start getting sleepy, no matter how good the show, there's nothing I can do.)

I wasn't exactly disappointed in this performance, but I don't think it was one of the best.  I was disappointed that the writers felt the need to "discover" who was driving the car that killed Mrs. Lewis.  Sergeant Hathaway's investigative skills notwithstanding, it's just too far-fetched, too-much of a coincidence. 

Also, (and this may be due to my using captions) I felt there was an awful lot going on in the very beginning, that I probably missed something, and should start watching all over again.  So many characters, I was having trouble keeping them straight.  That said, I'll not comment further until I've seen the ending.  Perhaps there'll be another Simon Monkford tie-in with the main mystery that will legitimize announcing his part in the car accident.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #217 on: October 15, 2009, 12:07:09 PM »
Spoiler alert

I'm wondering if a reason for identifying the man who killed Lewis's wife in the auto accident is so that Lewis can come to more closure on the loss of his wife. We saw in an earlier episode ("Expiation") that Lewis was  ready to go on a kind of a "date" with a woman he met on a case and his supervisor was trying to fix him up with the woman who turned out to be the murderer in "Allegory of Love."  Inspector Morse was often depicted developing feelings for a woman involved in his cases. I'm not sure I want to see Lewis do that.

Do you think that Lewis had anything to do with the verdict of manslaughter (as opposed to a greater offense) in the case of the driver? Was he showing the "quality of mercy"?

Pedln, I agree that there was a lot going on in the first scenes. Lots of actors and possible perpetrators.

Babi

« Reply #218 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:49 AM »
 I agree with Marcie.  The death of Lewis' wife is something he is still coming to terms with.
 It is not so far-fetched, considering his daily investigations into people all over the same area, that a further clue might be found. And I also agree it would be a mistake to carry over too
many of the same themes from 'Morse'.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Mippy

« Reply #219 on: October 16, 2009, 10:46:58 AM »
Pedln ~ I agree it was confusing, I couldn't decide whether to watch some of it again,  but tempus fugit ... and did not.

I found it difficult to hear all of the dialog.

The closure on Lewis' wife was an interesting plot but I'm not sure whether the acting matched the importance of it.  I do like the interplay among the characters.  It's a really good series!

nlhome

« Reply #220 on: October 16, 2009, 07:08:01 PM »
I finally watched the rest of it last night. I thought the character who drove the car and killed Lewis's wife was presented in an interesting manner. I thought his ambivalence was believable. Actually, I enjoyed all the characters and thought this was a good program. I did watch the first part even though I'd seen it before, and I think that helped me get a better grasp of the action.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #221 on: October 17, 2009, 01:26:52 PM »
I agree with you, nlhome, the way they presented the character who killed Lewis' wife was interesting. There was no big mystery behind her death. She was just unfortunately killed in a banal accident.

Although Hathaway takes it upon himself to follow the lead that uncovers the information about how Mrs. Lewis died. He was afraid/reluctant to tell Lewis. I don't think it's just because, as Lewis surmises, that Hathaway thought Lewis might attack the perpetrator. Lewis seems disappointed in how Hathaway handled the situation and says that there is no real relationship between them. They both tell their boss that the other is a "private" person who is difficult to know. I hope that the writers build on their relationship next season (I hope there IS a next season for this series!)

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #222 on: October 17, 2009, 01:32:19 PM »
We can still talk about the QUALITY OF MERCY while we wait for the last episode of this series to air on Sunday: THE POINT OF VANISHING. It looks like it's another of the mysteries that has a past crime come to light in investigating a current crime. I'm going to miss Inspector Lewis. As I said above, I do hope that we'll see Lewis and Hathaway next season.

PBS Contemporary starts next week.  See the description of the three dramas set in modern times here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/contemporary/index.html. We could create a new discussion area if any of you are interested in talking about that series.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #223 on: October 17, 2009, 01:39:47 PM »
I liked the episode, although I agree with most of the criticisms above. There is no reason given for Hathaway's obsessive pursuit of information on Monkford -- it makes no sense. And I always have trouble hearing all the dialog -- have to "fill in the blanks" as I go along. Again, the murderer followed a pattern -- sigh.

But I really enjoy the literate aspects of the series, and Lewis' working class reaction to it ("Bloody Shakespeare!"). I agree that "The Quality of Mercy" was shown in the last scene -- that was a nice touch.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #224 on: October 19, 2009, 12:10:50 PM »
SPOILER ALERT
I enjoyed THE POINT OF VANISHING. I didn't like the mother from the start and had a feeling she was the perpetrator. What a terrible lie she told her husband.

The scenes with the daughter alone in the swimming pool were beautiful, even though the last scene of her in the pool was for a terrible purpose.

I liked the relationship between Lewis and Hathaway and Lewis's care of Hathaway in the last scene. I'm sorry that this season of Lewis is ending.

joangrimes

• Alabama
« Reply #225 on: October 19, 2009, 12:51:30 PM »
I loved " The Point of Vanishing"..  I thought it was a wonderful production.  I am really sorry to see the season end also.I wish they would keep on with the Lewis series.

Joan Grimes

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #226 on: October 19, 2009, 09:37:54 PM »
I liked "The Point of Vanishing" too, although as usual, it was clear who at least one of the criminals was.

And MINOR SPOILER they avoided having the young woman in the wheelchair be either the victem or the murderer. A pet peeve of mine is that for years, if there was a disabled person in the story they were either killed or were the perpetrator (wracked with resentment over their disability). A disabled prson was never shown as an ordinary person having a life. Elizabeth George broke the mold with her disabled detective (Simon) who even managed to get the girl away from the hunky Linley. Yeah for George!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #227 on: October 19, 2009, 10:14:22 PM »
JoanK, that's an important point about the girl in the wheelchair. She was just one of the characters and I thought they presented her well.

nlhome

« Reply #228 on: October 20, 2009, 08:44:40 AM »
I watched it last night and enjoyed it. The twists and turns were interesting - a lot packed into that short amount of time. I will miss these shows.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #229 on: October 20, 2009, 11:29:58 AM »
I agree, nlhome. Ithink that most of the "mysteries" in this series were interesting and plotted well and packed a lot into the 90 minutes. We've all said that the actors, settings and style of the Masterpiece programs are first rate.

What I especially look forward to in the Mystery series is the main sleuth and his or her relationship to others. Lewis and Hathaway have a complex relationship and most of the time the writers provide humorous exchanges between them. I look forward to the development of the relationship in the future (I hope there is a future for them!!)

Babi

« Reply #230 on: October 21, 2009, 10:07:45 AM »
 Amen to that.   I think I'll go into PBS and see if I can find a place for 'comments'.  I'd like to let them know this series I think this series was topnotch and I'd love to see more of them.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #231 on: October 21, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
Babi, It looks like the PBS Masterpiece feedback page is at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/feedback/index.html. Good idea to let them know we enjoyed the Lewis series.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #232 on: October 21, 2009, 12:30:54 PM »
Are any of you interested in watching and talking about the upcoming Contemporary series?

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/contemporary/index.html

Frybabe

« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2009, 05:31:39 PM »
They all look intriguing Marcie. You can count me in as long as Comcast puts it up on their OnDemand like they did the Inspector Lewis series.

salan

« Reply #234 on: October 21, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
Marcie, I will definitely be watching the new series.  I won't know until I watch if I will want to discuss it.
Sally

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #235 on: October 21, 2009, 10:58:57 PM »
That sounds good. Those of us who are interested, can watch the series and then see if we want to talk about it. If we do, I'll create a new discussion for it.

Babi

« Reply #236 on: October 22, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »

Thanks for the feedback link, MARCIE. That will simplify matters for me.
The contemporary drama line-up looks good, too.  I hope to be able to
catch at least some of them.  Depends, of course, on whether my local
station is showing them on that schedule.

nlhome

« Reply #237 on: October 22, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »
I"m interested in the new series also, as others have pointed out, it depends on when they are shown.

In the meantime, for some reason, our TV goes off and we read or sort through pictures - not interested in what's on.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #238 on: October 24, 2009, 11:53:19 PM »
Hello, everyone. Thanks for a stimulating and fun discussion of the 2009 PBS Mystery series.

This discussion is now closed so I've moved the last few posts into our new PBS discussion which we can use to talk about current and upcoming PBS programs. You'll find it here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=918.0