Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 551831 times)

MaryPage

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #4040 on: May 05, 2015, 01:28:03 PM »
How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

Yes, I bought and have The Cuckoo's Calling, as well.  It has been on my bookshelves for some time now, not as yet moved to either my bedside table stack or my easychairside table stack.  It is almost always from one of those two stacks that I choose my next book.  Bedside stack is comprised of paperbacks, while hardbacks and trade size paperbacks are by the easychair.  Am constantly refurbishing these two stacks from my bookshelves.  Latest incoming books all get placed in the bookshelves immediately they arrive.  Basically, it will depend upon what I am in the mood for or feel urgent about getting to.  Just recently, I finished an Ann Cleeves and found I could not bear the thought of leaving the Shetland Islands so abruptly, so I fished her next book in the series from the bottom of the easychairside stack and promoted it to current read.  I declined to purchase The Casual Vacancy and yet did purchase The Cuckoo's Calling because of the reviews.

Pedln, I would strongly advise you to watch The Casual Vacancy.  The critics say it is a huge improvement on the book, and I must say it is a piece that sticks with you.  Also, I am glad you have VERA to watch, and please let me know soonest how you like her.  That series was also written by Ann Cleeves.  If you check out her personal website, she says the writers change a lot and add and subtract a lot, even, EVEN mind you, to who does the murder!  Cleeves is a writer I really connect strongly with.  I think you will, too.

MaryPage

« Reply #4041 on: May 06, 2015, 08:20:27 PM »
Today we went to see CINDERELLA!  They offer little closed captioning gadgets and also hearing ear muffs with a little cell phone sized thingy.  I tried the ear muffs, and they were WONDERFUL! I tell you, you HAVE to give yourselves a treat and go to see that movie.  I know you have read and seen it a million times and cannot imagine why you need to waste your time and money, but you DO!  It is quite simply the very best Cinderella ever filmed or staged or even thought about.  It is PERFECT in every way and you will love it to bits.  I swear. Yes, I know the story, and yes, I cried at the end.  At least, my face got all full up and buzzy as though I were going to cry.  I do have the handicap of dried up tear ducts.
If you are a fan of Downton Abbey, the Lady Rose plays Cinderella, and plays it with perfection.  Helena Bonham Carter is the fairy godmother.  Cate Blanchett is the wicked stepmother.  Derek Jacobi plays the king.  Oh, and again from Downton, the wonderful Sophie McShera, who plays Daisy, the one time scullery maid, is one of the stepsisters.  I plan to buy the DVD as soon as it is available and watch this movie over and over again.  You will HUG yourself with Joy!  Even my oh so macho Chip loved it.  He has always had a crush on Helena Bonham Carter anyway.  I never have, but I must admit she was perfection.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4042 on: May 06, 2015, 09:35:12 PM »
Yesterday I finally got to see "Woman in Gold" with Helen Mirren.  The movie was wonderful, as was Ms. Mirren and her co-star, Ryan Reynolds.
The cinematography was gorgeous, especially the shots of Vienna.  I don't know if there was a book about this, but the movie stands on its own.  With a sparse, but powerful, use of flashbacks it told the story of how the painting came to be in the Austrian museum (Belvedere?). The painting itself is (hate to use the term) but "Awesome".  The dialogue, serious but with flashes of humor from Mirren, was perfect.  I recommend that you see this movie, especially on the big screen.  If you think you will be exposed to a lot of Nazi stuff, you won't be...  Woven into the story powerfully, but sensitively.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4043 on: May 07, 2015, 05:59:25 AM »
Oh, I am so glad you liked Woman in Gold, Tomereader. I'd like to see it, mostly because I like Gustav Klimt's paintings. What I'd like to know is why, if she used the argument that the painting (and four others, I believe) should be with the family, she turned around and sold it right away after she won the suit. It kind of sullied her argument, I think, and turned it into nothing more than a money grab.

MaryPage

« Reply #4044 on: May 07, 2015, 06:32:38 AM »
I expect the suit was very costly, court costs and attorney's fees. 

I have neither seen the movie nor read a book about it, but the story is quite clear to me because I remember seeing a documentary or news segment (like on 60 Minutes or some such) some years ago and that painting was the signature piece of the tale.  There is no question that that family was entitled to that painting, including the proceeds from selling it.

Frybabe

« Reply #4045 on: May 07, 2015, 09:16:56 AM »
I agree with you MaryPage. The painting and/or its proceeds belonged with the family. However, I did read somewhere that Adele Bloch-Bauer had requested in her will that her Klimt paintings be donated to the Austrian State Gallery. She died in 1925, but apparently her husband never fulfilled that request. After the Nazis confiscated the art, they sold it to the gallery. So it got where she had intended it. If the bequest had been honored, the family would have had no claim to the art, I suppose.

Which brings up a thought. I would have thought that if it was in her will, wouldn't the will's executor (I assume it was her husband) have been required to honor it? Austrian law at the may have been a bit different. Property laws are different from place to place and, often, women are/were not treated equally under the law regarding property. Quite possibly the art was jointly owned by her and her husband. I guess I'll just have to see the movie.  I don't think a book was written about the case.

So, now the painting is back in a Gallery for all to see when on display. I am glad about that. The movie clips I saw seemed to indicate that she thought the paintings should be with the family. I don't think turning around and selling them right away keeps to that spirit. The court case must have been costly, however, and financial circumstances have a way changing. I believe the court case took about six years.

I looked up Maria Altman. She passed away in 2011, which made her about 88 when she brought suit to gain the paintings (assuming 2000 as the date of the suit initiation).

Tomereader1

« Reply #4046 on: May 07, 2015, 11:14:13 AM »
The legalese in the movie points out that the so-called "will" she wrote, was simply her wishes, not a formal will.  Therefore, her husband's will took precedence.  It was a long, drawn-out procedure and Maria had her attorney contact  Mr. Lauder, with instructions that the paintings be on display at the museum in New York (and I dont remember which one that was).  He had offered her money before for the paintings, before she even won the suit, and she turned him down.  A very convoluted procedure, at best, but when she won the suit the paintings were hers to do with what she pleased.  A line of dialogue here:  "I think Aunt Adela is a little large for my bungalow". 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4047 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:08 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Tomereader. The clips and such don't begin to clarify the questions they raise. I definitely must see the movie.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4048 on: May 07, 2015, 11:41:36 AM »
I think you will love it, Frybabe, and you and others can make their own assumptions as to the "rightness" of Maria's decision. 

The Woman in Gold portrait is huge, and absolutely breathtaking!  It wouldn't have fit in Maria's bungalow. LOL

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #4049 on: May 07, 2015, 12:12:39 PM »
Frybabe, you have brought up an interesting point, and one I have had cause to wonder about repeatedly over the years.  I am not at all tutored in the law, other than my years of Perry Mason fan following on the old black & white tellys and my avid reading of detective novels.  In other words, I have no knowledge whatsoever.  But EXPERIENCE tells me there is no oversight provided in our system of laws to see to it that the wishes of any given deceased are carried out.  As far as I have been able to discern, folk can ignore the heartfelt desires that are supposed by all to be sacrosanct in favor of doing precisely what best suits them.  Case in point, my favorite uncle's widow died and left her house to a nephew on her side of the family, but her will also included a fairly longish and very detailed list of what among her possessions was to go to whom.  And she was a dear and conscientious lady and was very careful to carry out the wishes of the husband (who was my blood) she adored as to which of HIS family things were to go to which of his nieces (3) and nephew (1).  They never had any children of their own, you see, but there were pieces of furniture and bricabrac that had been in our family forever, and it was told out loud repeatedly over the years, and also on lists we were given in writing, who was to be heir to what.  One of my female cousins was particularly looking forward to a much cherished old family desk, and she held the middle name that was the surname of the ancestor who had originally owned it.  I was happily anticipating a few items I had coveted, but particularly wanted some of the framed family portraits and photographs of my blood kin.  Well, that nephew (her kin) never gave out a thing.  Not an iota!  He had the will probated, and just took over.  After many months passed, I tried and tried to contact him.  He would never write or phone me back.  Finally, I drove 65 miles to knock on his door and ask.  He evaded me like mad.  I finally begged for just the pictures.  He said he had taken them all down and put them in boxes in the basement, and could not get to them at the moment.  I went back and back, and finally, in an obvious effort to be rid of me, they had them by the door when I went up at a time I wrote them I would be there (he was married with children.).  Two large mildewed and falling apart cardboard cartons of lovely pictures.  They had sold the portraits!  Half of the pictures were ruined with black mold, as they had put the boxes in the dirt cellar, for crying out loud!  I saved what I could, sobbing as I did so, and sent them off to family members I thought would most cherish them.  Never a single family antique came back into our family stream;  nary a one.  And it did not seem to bother Aunt Mary's nephew one tiny eensy bit!  Go figure!  Somehow, I felt I had let the family down, but honestly, it was not my doing and I did all I could.  I assume we could have fought it in court, but with the other 2 nieces in New York State and my brother in Oklahoma and me the only one left in Virginia where they were, it would have been a difficulty beyond our physical and financial abilities.  And that, in itself, is a crying shame.  Bottom line, in order for the RIGHT thing to happen, the expense can be too great;  and those who prey upon others KNOW this!
I could give a number of other cases, but do not wish to bore you;  but one daughter in law literally lost her mind, i.e. went into a deep depression she has never fully recovered from, when her father died and she tried to make arrangements with her only sister, who lived in the same town they had grown up in in a different state, to have the furnishings she had inherited sent to her, plus some personal items of her mother's that had been divided between the two of them.  Well, Jane never got a thing, either!  The sister maintained she had had it all taken to HER home, and possession is nine tenths of the law, or whatever.  None of us could believe it was happening, but again, Jane could not afford to fight it in the courts of any state, let alone a different one from the one she was living in.  To this day she will break into tears at the memory of having nothing that had been her mother's.
Life is not Fair, and that is flat out that!

Frybabe

« Reply #4050 on: May 07, 2015, 01:10:57 PM »
MaryPage, I think a similar thing is happening to George's cousins. His aunt's son seems to have convinced (not hard to do, since I knew the aunt) her to put the house in his name. He was letting him handle her finances toward the end, so he may have gotten added to her bank accounts. George is not entirely clear on the particulars. She passed away last year and the two daughters have gotten nothing. George was even told, not too long ago, that the son had yet to file the paperwork with the state. Now the son's wife is divorcing him (I admit to being mighty curious about that). It just may be that the state of NY will get the lions share, or all of it if he didn't file. I believe there are penalties for not filing within a certain time period. I know the one daughter. She is not financially able to pursue, nor is she in good shape mentally and physically at this point. It just amazes my and my sisters that people could do such things to family.

MaryPage

« Reply #4051 on: May 07, 2015, 01:34:45 PM »
It seems to happen more often than society as a whole is aware of, as each family thinks they are the only ones with such greed and depravity in their midst.  Folk who think most of us are pure of soul and don't need regulating need to rethink.  And there should be some provision wherein probate judges do not have to merely be sworn to on a piece of paper to have an estate "pass" through, but should require notarized documentation to the effect that each and every beneficiary, no matter how small, of a will has actually RECEIVED what they were bequeathed!  This would take anywhere from a little to quite a bit of effort on the part of the assigned administrator, but hey, you should not take on that job unless you are WILLING to see to it every item in a given will is seen to.  We have been taught that the Poor shall always be with us, but we should also be taught that those who would happily rob us blind will be, as well and all!  We think innocently that everyone else would feel the same deep shame if they dishonored the last wishes of a loved one, but I'm here to tell you it just ain't so, and if society thinks it is, than society is Stupid and guilty of neglect of both our dearly departed and their helpless kinfolk!

Tomereader1

« Reply #4052 on: May 13, 2015, 03:47:49 PM »
Hubby and I watched a quirky movie over the weekend.  Prior warning, language is terrible.  "This Is Where I Leave You", I think there was also a book.  A totally dysfunctional  family comes together to honor their father's last wish, they they "sit Shiva" for him.  He was not a practicing Jew, and the adult kids were not raised as such, so against their wishes, they attempt to do the seven days, receiving guests, no driving, no phones, etc.  This becomes hilarious, as all the family's warts are exposed,
and the entire family is not "sitting" at once, with some of them off driving, at least one using the telephone, and most of them arguing, sometimes dissolving into fist-fights between the brothers.  I would have a hard time telling you who the "star" was, as each character had a pretty major role, Jane Fonda, Tina Fey,
Jason Bateman, Rose Byrne, Connie Britton and Corey Stoll. Most of the last 5 are either now in a TV Series, or were previously in one.  Like I said, fair warning, the language is X-rated, the comedy is raunchy, but I laughed all thru it.  :o

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #4053 on: May 13, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »
Tomereader, I pretty much find it impossible to find a show, outside of the Hallmark channel, that is, that does not contain the ghastly language.  There is some remarkably good filming, acting, script writing and music going on both in movie theatres and on the telly if you can just contain yourself through the constant vulgarities coming out of every set of lips engaged.  The younger generations are masters of the craft, and not only doing it justice, but doing our own stars one better.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4054 on: May 15, 2015, 08:02:54 PM »
Tome, I've heard a lot about This is Where I Leave You and I really want to see it. Thank you for that review. :)

I just saw The Woman in  Gold is it, too.  With Helen Mirren and it's wonderful, just wonderful. I had vaguely remembered something about it and I am so glad they made this movie for all time. Wonderful movie and it's got Jonathan Pryce in it too in a very small part which just made it perfect for me as I'm about to see him at Shakespeare's Globe in London.

If anybody is looking for a movie to take a child to, see Home.  I loved Home. I've seen it three times, it's a wonderful movie for children (I guess, but I loved it) which is full of values and the sweetest hero. I cried thru the first one and laughed thru the second two. Maybe I'm having a second childhood but it's a wonderful outing.

marjifay

« Reply #4055 on: May 18, 2015, 10:44:40 AM »
Did anyone watch the final episode of Mad Men last night?  We did, but were sorry we wasted the time.  It was as bad as the last few episodes, IMO.  Can't believe the man who created this also created The Sopranos, which I thought was excellent.
The character of Don Draper was really a dud -- no personality, no sense of humor. Only interested in one thing which really got boring fast.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #4056 on: May 18, 2015, 11:05:00 AM »
Well, MaryPage, my brothers and I did not carry out our parents' wishes to disinherit our gay brother.  And I am happy we did not.  My parents did not understand that he did not choose to be gay, so they wanted to punish him for being born the way he was.  I knew he was gay when he was only 12 years old.  It was pretty obvious to me but I'm not sure he himself knew at that young age.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Frybabe

« Reply #4057 on: May 24, 2015, 06:10:33 AM »
While looking for something else, I ran across Kirk Douglas. He is still around at 98 (contrary to some reports back in December) and blogs on the Huffinton Post site. I don't know if this is his latest entry or not.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirk-douglas/ive-made-about-90-feature-films-but-these-are-the-ones-im-proudest-of_b_6290742.html

Here is The Blog listing. Read the one on Technology. It is short and funny.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/news/kirk-douglas/

marjifay

« Reply #4058 on: May 24, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
That was an interesting article from Kirk Douglas, Frybabe.  I knew how old he was, as I subscribe to Who's Alive and Who's Dead, that tells about the ages and deaths of famous people.  Doris Day is one who I was surprised to learn is 93 years old.  I did not care for most of Kirk Douglas's films but did like Spartacus, Lust for Life, and Paths of Glory.  I have his autobiography, Ragman's Son, on my TBR list.  I did not know he'd been married to the same woman for 60 years!  That must be some kind of a record for a film star. 

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #4059 on: June 04, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
Just watched the 1979 movie Time After Time, with Mary Steenburger and Malcolm McDowell, on Turner Classic Film channel, one of my all-time favorite films.  Hard to believe that the Malcolm McDowell in this is the same actor that portrayed that weird young man in Clockwork Orange.  In this one Malcolm plays a young intellectual, Herbert G. Wells who travels in his time machine, chasing Jack the Ripper, and meets a 20th century woman (Mary Steenburger).  Great scary but also romantic film.

marj

Tomereader1

« Reply #4060 on: June 20, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
There is a movie coming out, don't know the release date, but it is made from the book titled "The Martian".  It is not Sci-Fi, per se, but with lots of "science"
involved.  It stars Matt Damon, and there is a terrific trailer about it.  OUr f2f book group read it, and we all basically enjoyed it.  I would like to post a link to the trailer.  Maybe I can come back in later and post it.  The movie sure looks good!
The Martian Official Trailer #1 (2015) - Matt Damon, Kristen Wiig Movie HD - YouTube

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #4061 on: June 20, 2015, 12:59:03 PM »
Tome, I've been keeping an eye on The Martian and recommending it to any one who likes Science Fiction. I was lucky enough to be the first one to read it in our library system. Anyway, the release date is November 25 of this year. I can hardly wait. Also, for those who are interested, there is another trailer where "Whatley" introduces the crew and several interviews with Andy Weir. I haven't watched them yet.

Weir's story is interesting. He had tried to get The Martian published but with no luck. Friends talked him into self-publishing it as an e-book. It took off like gang busters. The publishing and movie people sat up and took notice. I am not sure about the chronology, but I think he had Ridley Scott pouncing on it before it was actually published in print. Apparently he did most, if not all, of his negotiations throughout on the phone and online - something about not liking to fly? I forget exactly.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4062 on: June 20, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »
Given the story, it's ironic that the author doesn't like flying.

Frybabe

« Reply #4063 on: June 21, 2015, 05:29:21 AM »
Wikipedia claims Weir is working on his fourth novel, but I see no mention of it or books two and three - anywhere.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #4064 on: June 25, 2015, 01:10:23 PM »
I don't know if it was from a book or not, but we watched The Imitation Game last night. I've known something about the Enigma Machine and how important the breaking of the German code was, but I knew almost nothing about the rest of the story.  This is a fascinating story and well done movie.  Definitely recommended.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4065 on: June 25, 2015, 01:44:37 PM »

Special Announcement
Our website will be down, beginning Monday evening, June 29, GMT, for a large update.  

Please do not post at this time as your post will probably disappear.

We do not know how long it will take the computer expert to load this update and have it working.  

The website will not look as it has when it comes up until we tweak it, so please be patient. Please continue to check back for news.  We hope to be up and functioning by Tuesday, but if not, it shouldn't be too much longer.

Thank you for your patience

MaryPage

« Reply #4066 on: July 03, 2015, 11:13:24 AM »
I think we are back in business.  Hello everyone!

Tomereader1

« Reply #4067 on: July 17, 2015, 11:09:20 AM »
Folks must have gotten scared off when the website got upgraded, as there seem to be so few posts in any of these categories, except Library and Mystery Corner. 

André Maurois

MaryPage

« Reply #4068 on: July 18, 2015, 09:45:48 AM »
I can't figure it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4069 on: July 18, 2015, 12:42:04 PM »
Yesterday went to see "Mr. Holmes".  A quietly beautiful film dealing with Sherlock in retirement.  Cinematography is awesome.  Ian McKellan's performance nothing short of Shakespearean. His voice seems to resonate throughout one's body, and echoes, even as you leave the theatre.  The young boy, played by Milo Parker, is terrific.  A grand role for one so young.  I'm sure we'll see more of him in the future.  (He looks very familiar, but IMdB only shows two movie credits other than this one).  I think maybe he has been in some U.K. presentation that I've seen on TV, which doesn't register with IMdB.  The pace of the film is slow, as there are no action scenes or bloody murders to be solved.
Also, no cursing or mandatory sex scenes.  Well worth your viewing.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4070 on: July 19, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »
Mr. Holmes sounds very good, Tomereader. Thanks for the recommendation. The book on which it is based, A Slight Trick of the Mind by Mitch Cullen, sounds good too. I'll look for it in my county library.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4071 on: July 19, 2015, 09:37:43 PM »
I think anything Ian McKellan was in would be a good bet; he's good.  When we discussed Richard III here, I watched several movies of the play.  McKellan's version was set in the 1930s.  I wouldn't have thought that would work well, especially when one of Richard's major soliloquies is delivered when he is off in the men's room (modesty is preserved).  But he did an amazing job of showing the curve of Richard's rise and fall, and the way he totally comes apart, after he's gotten what he wanted, and descends into madness.

He was also great as Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings, a role that's too easy to make into a stereotype.

The only other thing I've seen him in is an early role in The Scarlet Pimpernel; he plays the villain Chauvelin.

MaryPage

« Reply #4072 on: July 20, 2015, 07:39:28 AM »
I think he is great, as well and all.  I believe he and Sir Derek Jacobi are married.  Both of them knights and both masters of their craft.  Jacobi is my very dear favorite.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4073 on: July 20, 2015, 11:08:12 AM »
McKellan and Jacobi are married/partners in the funny TV series, Vicious. They have different partners in their actual lives. There is an interesting short article with musings by Jacobi about his relationship at http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-04-29/vicious-derek-jacobi---im-aware-of-being-in-the-last-act

MaryPage

« Reply #4074 on: July 20, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
Oops, I got that wrong!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4075 on: July 20, 2015, 07:00:47 PM »
 ;)

marjifay

« Reply #4076 on: July 26, 2015, 05:43:42 PM »
I was curious after watching part of the movie I Am Legend with Will Smith.  Wanting to see how the story ended, so I got the book and read it.
Sorry that I did.  It was the most depressing book I've ever read.  The reviews of the book were good, so I thought it would be an interesting read even though I am not a fan of vampire novels. (Wrong)

Amazon, Inc.'s review:  "One of the most influential vampire novels of the 20th century, I Am Legend regularly appears on the "10 Best" lists of numerous critical studies of the horror genre. As Richard Matheson's third novel, it was first marketed as science fiction (for although written in 1954, the story takes place in a future 1976). A terrible plague has decimated the world, and those who were unfortunate enough to survive have been transformed into blood-thirsty creatures of the night. Except, that is, for Robert Neville. He alone appears to be immune to this disease, but the grim irony is that now he is the outsider. He is the legendary monster who must be destroyed because he is different from everyone else. Employing a stark, almost documentary style, Richard Matheson was one of the first writers to convince us that the undead can lurk in a local supermarket freezer as well as a remote Gothic castle. His influence on a generation of bestselling authors--including Stephen King and Dean Koontz--who first read him in their youth is, well, legendary.

I would not recommend this to anyone, even those who like to occasionally read a vampire novel.

Marj-

marjifay

« Reply #4077 on: July 26, 2015, 06:24:14 PM »
I read part of The Martian, but did not finish it.  As I recall, I found the part where he was trying to repair the space ship too technical and boring.  I know a lot of people really liked it and have thought I might try to re-read it, skipping the boring parts, but haven't got around to doing so yet.

Marj

Frybabe

« Reply #4078 on: July 27, 2015, 05:53:07 AM »
You are not the only one, Marj, that has trouble getting past the science in the book. I did not have much chemistry, and not physics in school because I was taking business classes, so some of it was beyond me. However, it appeared to be mostly explained in a manner that someone who did have high school or lower level college science and math would understand. I could be wrong. I just read over it without trying to understand the science, just took his word that it was pretty accurate. Here is Andy Weir talking about the book and the science. http://www.sciencefriday.com/playlist/#play/segment/9345 I am looking forward to the movie which should help with of visual of what he was doing.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4079 on: July 30, 2015, 12:53:24 PM »
Thanks, Tomereader and Marcie, for your input about Mr. Holmes and Ian McKellan.  It's not available in DVD format yet, but nice to know that there'll be another good film coming up soon. I'd been thinking I'd exhausted all the top critics' choices and 2015 award winners, and had nothing to look forward to.

Also, glad to learn about Vicious  -- just added it to my Netflix queue.  Is it like THe Odd Couple?