Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 551614 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2009, 03:32:00 PM »
I've just been looking at the latest Bookmarks again and guess what's coming soon --

Alice Sebold's  Lovely Bones  (in March) with Rachel Weisz (I don't know her), Susan Sarandon -- would she be the mother, and Mark Wahlberg.  (I don't know him, either)

Then in February -- Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic, with Isla Fisher and Hugh Dancy.

Guess I don't know these newer stars.  Takes a while.  I was pleased when I finally recognized such folks as Laura Linney and Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Have any of you heard anything about these films?

Has Elmore Leonard's Killshot played in your town?   ;D  I have to know about that one.

Babi

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
I've seen some previews on TV about the upcoming "Confessions of a Shopaholic".  It looks like there will be plenty of 'broad' comedy in this one. You know, like women brawling over a sales item.
  I do recognize Susan Sarandon. She isn't really new. I believe she is probably best known for "Thelma and Louise", which I did not see.  The name Mark Wahlberg I've seen before, but I don't know anything about him.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Tomereader1

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »
What is so amazing to me is the number of actors, who have labored long and hard in the field, and are just now getting recognition for their acting abilities; i.e., Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the fellow who starred in "Breach" Chris Cooper, the wonderful Laura Linney, who has appeared in about half dozen movies of late including Breach, John Adams, The Savages, etc.

Has anyone else noticed this?
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
I got curious about Mark Wahlberg because I see his name mentioned often and I couldn't place him. I still can't. It turns out the only movie I saw him in was Renaissance Man (w/Danny DeVito, 1993). I marvelous movie, IMO.

If you have seen the two Mummy remakes with Rachel Weisz, you have seen her. She was also in Constantine. I haven't seen that one yet.

The IMBD website listed 98 movies (beginning in 1970) in which Susan Sarandon played. Surely I've seen a bunch of those, but no, I only recognized a few I have seen. I liked her in White Palace with James Spader. She was also in Witches of Eastwick which was a fun movie. I've seen Thelma and Louise, but don't have an urge to watch it again.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2009, 02:42:37 PM »
Frybabe, Updike has a new book out -- The Widows of Eastwick --  a new stage of life for the Witches.  I wonder if they'll make a movie of that.

One of my favorite Laura Linney films (and I haven't seen too many) is Jindabyne, sort of mystery, set in Australia. Beautiful scenery, too.  It's based on a Raymond Carver short story. And now the public library has just notified me that they're holding the John Adams DVD, with her and Paul Giamatti.  I think she won Golden Globe best actress for her part in that.

Frybabe

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2009, 04:50:47 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Pedln. Think I will get both volumes when the new one come out.

Gumtree

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2009, 10:20:57 AM »
Susan Sarandon was in Clockwork Orange

And she was in another with Goldie Hawn - I can't think of the title - they played two 'older' hippies - Hawn was still a hippie type and Sarandon had morphed into a straight laced wife and mother. They come together again after many years....with predictable consequences but fun all the way. The title will come...eventually
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 09:25:19 AM »
(sigh  I have read all the posts since my last one, and realize I haven't seen a single one of the movies y'all have listed.  It now occurs to me that between the time of the initial decline in my hearing, and the appearance of Netflix with closed captioning, my moviegoing was very limited.
  However, I have enough to do trying to read as many as possible of the good books people recommend.  I can't watch all the movies I missed, too.  :-\ ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

HaroldArnold

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2009, 12:11:08 PM »
.The other day I saw "Slumdog Millionare" at a new theater at the sprawling REM Mall off I-10 in Northwest San Antonio.  I was with 4 or 5 of my contemporary Chandler neighbors.  It was a curious way to put a picture together, with strange camera angles, gargantuan scene enlargements, and explosive bursts of dialog and sound effects.   Immediately after its conclusion I was asked what I thought of the movie.  Spontaneously I replied, "At the ripe old age of 82, I've just had my first LSD trip."  Yet somehow I enjoyed the movie.  It was a film I will remember

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »
I saw Slumdog last week. Well for me when there is that much noise, explosions, running from the bad guy, violence, child abuse, violence of every kind it overshadows the love story behind the special effects and I come out of there trying to forget it as quickly as possible. Like Arnold said I am too old for that kind of excitment.

There are a few that I liked the book as well as the movie and Love at the Time of the Cholera is one of them although the movie was better IMO. 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »
Harold, that’s one for the books. 
"At the ripe old age of 82, I've just had my first LSD trip."  Yet somehow I enjoyed the movie.  It was a film I will remember
I’ll take that as a recommendation.

Eloise, I won’t hear the noise and explosions, as I find digital sound difficult to listen to, so I don’t wear my hearing aids and just go with the captions. But at least you have forewarned me about the violence, which I don’t like.

I’ve put Love in the Time of Cholera on my Netflix queue.  Haven’t read it.  I did not like the book 100 Years of Solitude, so have kind of shied away from the author..

The John Adams DVD consists of three discs, of which I’ve watched one.  Laura Linney is just superb here.  Giamatti does well, too, but I am having trouble keeping all the characters straight.  I think it’s a set I’d like to own, to be able to go back and repeat certain scenes, and not to have to watch it all at once.  But I did get it renewed for another week.  It’s based on David McCullough’s book about John Adams.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2009, 06:42:38 PM »
I didn't know SLUMDOG was a book!  Has anyone read it and how does it compare to the movie?  Is there any truth to the movie?  Any little "truth?"

I went with my daughter to the movie and we had very different opinions.  She liked it, I thought it was a bit too "much" drama and it took too long to get to the heart of the story.  The producers must have liked poverty and violence and the mistreatment of children, etc.

Actually I felt sorry for the whole country of India when we sit comfortably in our movie house with our popcorn and watch such poverty illustrated and then can say afterwards that it was entertaining!  Are the scenes of cities true to life?  Is "rich" America doing it again?

No, I didn't like the movie at all.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2009, 07:39:25 PM »
I don't know if it's based on any book or not, but a movie you might enjoy is Outsourced.  It's about a young American male who is sent to India to manage a call center there.  Mainly, it's about all of us trying to understand and appreciate cultural differences.  It's light, it's pleasant, it's worth watching.

I enjoyed The Namesake, both book and movie.  No violence there, that I remember. Water was an excellent film, about widows in India during the 1930's.  While there was no out and out right violence that I remember, there were some very unnerving scenes. I'll never forget the happy eight-year-old widow, going into a rather opulent house, saying "Hello, I'm here to play with you."  The book by Indian writer Mistry, A Fair Balance, has left me with some horrifying scenes, but it was still an excellent book, and I'm glad I read it.

Babi

« Reply #54 on: February 02, 2009, 09:27:02 AM »
Thanks for the movie reviews.  With a sigh of relief, I will be able to avoid "Slumdog".   :P

kiwilady

« Reply #55 on: February 02, 2009, 07:27:43 PM »
The slums in India truly are awful and they most certainly exist. My DILs Parents lived and worked in India for many years and still work on short term contracts there to this day. Despite the progress made in India there is still a massive gap between rich and poor. We cannot imagine the poverty. Its not made up and if it makes us feel uncomfortable to see it on the silver screen- it should!

Tomereader1

« Reply #56 on: February 03, 2009, 02:07:10 PM »
A goofy little website, that I get emails from, just this morning mentioned a new release of a movie, which I love:  "Far From the Madding Crowd" with Julie Christie.  I haven't seen it in years, and I would assume that they have restored it for DVD.  Gonna put it on my Netflix list.  Right now the author's name escapes me (CRS).  When I can think of it, I shall return and post it, but I feel certain that most of you here will know it right off the top of your heads! ;)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #57 on: February 03, 2009, 02:15:14 PM »
Author is:  Thomas Hardy

André Maurois

kiwilady

« Reply #58 on: February 03, 2009, 07:24:54 PM »
That was a good book. I enjoyed it. Have not seen the movie.

Carolyn

Babi

« Reply #59 on: February 04, 2009, 08:53:58 AM »
I read that book so long ago I don't even remember what it was about. I do remember I liked it better than some other Hardy novels. Maybe I should put the movie on my list, too.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2009, 09:56:37 PM »
Tomereader, is this the first DVD for Far FRom the Madding Crowd?  Netflix doesn't say, but Amazon does show this 2009 release to have English and French subtitles, which some of us need. When you get it, could you note that?  Quite a few of Hardy's works have been made into film, including a couple of Tess D'ub.  The only Hardy I've read was Jude the Obscure, eons ago in a lit class.

ALF43

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2009, 09:38:13 AM »
Oh Glory!
Pedln is here with our old tried and true subject of book/movies.  I am so happy to see all of the familiar faces.  I've not been to the movies in a couple of months and last Wednesday three friends and I decided to go to see Slumdog...

The movies theatre had burst a main water line and we were turned away with a free pass for each of us, in hand.  Next week, I am there!!! ;D

A movie has to be pretty bad for me to disike it.  Movie production amuses me (as do  theatrical ones.).
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Tomereader1

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2009, 10:59:56 AM »
Pedlin, I think the new release of Far From... is just an upgraded version, same cast as the original release.  It will be a few days before I get my copy from netflix, but I'll let you kknow if it has subtitles.

Tess of the D'Urbevilles is also one of my favorite movies.

André Maurois

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2009, 05:28:14 PM »
For anyone who is interested in movies of Thomas Hardy's novels, I strongly recommend the TV version of "The Mayor of Casterbridge" with Ciaran Hinds and James Purefoy, available from Netflix.  I hadn't yet read the book when I first saw it, but Hinds, in the title role, did an incredible job of showing you what that black, tortured character was about, getting your sympathy for the parts of him that deserved it.  Purefoy is also excellent.

Eloise

• Montreal
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2009, 04:51:59 AM »
Pedln, I havn't read 100 Years of Solitude because from what I heard about the book I knew I wouldn't like it and that's why I hesitated seeing the movie and reading 'Love at the Time of the Cholera'.

I am glad I saw the movie first, the book is a little slow but I still liked it. It is poignant love story with superb writing.  I loved the theme song of the movie. I say don't hesitate to see the movie then decide if you want to read the book.

Gumtree

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2009, 10:40:39 AM »
PatH Seems we like lots of the same things...the Ciaran Hinds Mayor of Casterbridge is one of my favourites. What an actor that man is - did you see him in Veronica Geurin sp?- a film about the Irish reporter who uncovered a drug ring the police don't want to touch - true story/disturbing but brilliant film. Hinds in his frequent dark, troubled mode. He was also great as Captain Wentworth in  Persuasion.

Tonight we watched a 2 hour episode of Cranford with Judi Dench et al. I know many here watched it  last year on your PBS programme and discussed it on the other site.  I thought it excellent although it amalgamates parts from more than one of Elizabeth Gaskell's stories. I was racking my brains trying to think just where this character and that fitted into the novel Cranford and then realising they were drawn from other books.  But an excellent programme nonetheless.

Tomereader1

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:19 PM »
I am so concerned about our "Gumtree" who lives in Australia...those horrific fires there.  I don't know what part of Australia she lives in, or what part of the continent the fires happened in.  My prayers are certainly with those people who lost everything, and to the families who lost their relatives.

André Maurois

Gumtree

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2009, 08:34:36 AM »
Tomereader Don't be concerned - Here I am, alive and kicking...I got your message and sent a reply but then lost it again so can't see if you received it.
The bushfires are in south-eastern Australia - South Australia, NSW and Victoria which is the worst affected. The death toll seems to rise hourly and the destruction of stock and property devastating to everyone. There are heart rending stories of people who got out in time - and sadly those who didn't.
I live on the western coast and though there are fires in this state as well they are under control and contained -at least for the moment.
It's been a worrying time as we have family members living in the eastern states - my son and DIL live on Sydney's north shore where an arsonist lit a fire just for fun! They're OK. We also have extended family and more distant relatives scattered throughout rural areas in Victoria. We can only hope and pray for their safety.
The nation is in shock but united in its response to help the victims of this tragedy.
Thanks for caring -

GUM

Babi

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2009, 10:07:06 AM »
GUM, I do hope the authorities can find the arsonists.  That sort of crime in such a dry country is nothing short of murder! 

I ordered the DVD of Cranford, but was disappointed to find that it did not have closed captioning.  So many of the British productions do not.  I could see that it is the sort of thing I really enjoy, so it was especially aggravating not to be able to understand what was being said.  I do wish all films had closed captioning.

marjifay

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
Speaking of poverty in India, has anyone read THE WHITE TIGER by Atavind Adiga?  (Not a movie, at least, not yet)  It's a darkly comic novel.  I was fascinated by it.  A young man describes his rise from a place he calls "The Darkness," an area of rural India where corruption is rife, education and electricity are equally scarce, clean drinking water and adequate sewage don't exist and life is cheap, to become an entrepreneur owning a fleet of taxis, by his own initiative as well as a "necessary" murder.   
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2009, 08:40:08 AM »
I think that book was also mentioned in RATW.  Unfortunately, my library has 2 or three books entitled "The White Tiger", and none of them by that author.

hats

« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2009, 12:15:32 PM »
I finished "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. I really enjoyed it. It's Fantasy. Now, I want to see the movie. Have any of you seen the movie?

hats

« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2009, 12:21:03 PM »
I have also reread "The Secret Life of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. It's such a wonderful book. Now, I'm waiting for the movie to arrive.

Babi

« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 08:42:01 AM »
I loved "The Secret Life of Bees", too.  I thought they had made a movie of it recently, though.  Or did I just read that they were going to?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 11:32:59 PM »
I was wondering about that too, Babi.  I think the movie came out this fall, but that the DVD is just now being released.  Time Magazine gives it a wonderful review, can't speak highly enough of Dakota Fanning's ability and also Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson and Sophie Okonedo -- quite an all-star cast there.

Just learned a surprising thing in the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society discussion, which brings up a lot of different books  to comment on.  ONe of the authors featured is Elizabeth von Arnim whom I'd never heard of before.  Come to find out, I had one of her books on the shelf -- Enchanted April, and the night before last, I taped the movie on TCM.  Have not yet read or seen either, but it comes highly recommended.  Netflix lists the DVD as Saved, release date unknown.

marjifay

« Reply #75 on: February 13, 2009, 08:44:55 AM »
Enchanted April is a wonderful movie.  I loved it!
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 09:10:13 AM »
I was reading all of the posts here about a week ago and saw that folks were listing movies with Susan Sarandon.  IMHO, her movie with Kevin Costner, "Bull Durham" was a good comedy.  Also, we enjoyed "Safe Passage" with Sarandon and Sam Shepherd was another.  These are older movies but worth watching.
We watched a Netflix movie last night, "The King and I" with Deborah Kerr and ????.  It was a delight.  The children used in the story were so beautiful.  Does anyone know if Siam is now Thailand???  I have a friend here in Columbus who is now in Cambodia attending her son's wedding.  He has married a young lady from that country.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:52 AM »
Siam is now Thailand - has been for a long time.  Turner Classic Movies ran TK&I last week, uncut and without commercials.  It's one of my favorites, and it was a treat to see it all the way through.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2009, 10:02:36 PM »

We watched a Netflix movie last night, "The King and I" with Deborah Kerr and ????.

The ??? was probably Yul Brynner, who played the King.

Frybabe

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2009, 12:36:06 AM »
Just picked up Margaret Atwood's A Handmaid's Tale at my used book store. I had seen the movie years ago. The bookstore owner had read the book and stated that the movie, although good, did not do the book justice. The movie, said she, gave her the impression of something that could happen; the book made her feel as though the events were imminent, absolutely chilling. It is on her highly recommended list.