Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 552309 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #1240 on: January 12, 2011, 10:32:51 AM »
So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1241 on: January 12, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
And Downton Abbey was /is great.  I hadn't planned to watch it, thinking it "just another period piece," but that isn't the case.  I've never seen Upstairs/Downstairs, so can't compare, but the relationships shown  here are fascinating.  As is the whole realm of who inherits, class, etc.  I must set the recorder for the next three weeks.

Just found this link this morning.  If you've seen Part 1 there are no spoilers.  If you haven't, you might want to wait.

Downton Abbey DVD Review

MaryPage

« Reply #1242 on: January 12, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »
I absolutely adored Downton Abbey and cannot wait to see the rest of this series of episodes and to buy the DVD and see it again and again!

Tomereader1

« Reply #1243 on: January 12, 2011, 04:33:34 PM »
Having the good fortune to have a DVR, I am presently watching Part I of Downton Abbey.  Even the first 30 minutes of it is wonderful!  I do have the Closed Captioned turned on, until I can get used to the rapidity of their speech, I will need it.  Been awhile since I watched something with the various English accents.  I understand the upper classes speech really well, but the maids/cooks get a bit "cockney" for my ear!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Babi

« Reply #1244 on: January 13, 2011, 08:49:05 AM »
 After locating "The Station Agent" on Netflix and reading the 'blurb', I realized I have seen that
movie.  It was very good,  to my pleasant surprise, as initially I didn't think I was going to like it.
I had simply forgotten the title.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

MaryPage

« Reply #1245 on: January 15, 2011, 12:25:31 PM »
I always use the closed captioning or the subtitles, whichever is available, and if both are I opt for the subtitles, both because I am getting quite deaf and because the accents can be difficult to follow.  So happy you love the show as much as I.  It was a smash hit in Great Britain, and I have read they are in the process of making a follow up series.  Hurrah!

MaryPage

« Reply #1246 on: January 16, 2011, 05:43:44 PM »
I went to see The King's Speech with one of my daughters this afternoon, and it was SO good I plan to purchase the book!  We were truly wowed!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1247 on: January 23, 2011, 12:24:05 PM »
Oh my gosh, MaryPage.  I didn't know the King's Speech was from a book.  Did you get it yet?

This was asked over in the library ---

Wasn't it great when they made movies of popular books? Do they do that as often now? I know there is a discussion category of "books into movies." Maybe someone who goes to the movies more than i do can give an objective answer?

and this was my response  --

I think they do, Jean, but sometimes they have other titles, sometimes the books aren’t so well-known.  And there are sometimes films from the blockbuster books like the Stieg Larsson trilogy.  Remember when Schindler’s List was such a hit?  Most of us were unaware of the book with the same title by Australian writer Thomas Keneally.  And then there is Brokeback Mountain, from a short story by (I think) Alice Munro.  I’ve seen the film African Queen gazillion times, but have never read the C.S. Forester book.  A fantastic recent film, and one I hope gets Jennifer Lawrence an Oscar, is Winter’s Bone from the book by Daniel Woodrell.

I could go on forever, because chasing down a film’s origin is a fun game for me.  Just today, an interviewee in the NY Times said he had seen Mao’s Last Dancer and it was magnificent.  It’s from the 2004 autobiography  by Li Cunxin.

Bookmarks Magazine sometimes lists films being made into books and whe they’re being released.  I’m waiting for Kathleen Stockett’s The Help, which is supposedly in production.

Have you found any good films from books recently? 

MaryPage

« Reply #1248 on: January 23, 2011, 01:28:39 PM »
It is my understanding, strictly from what I have read, that the book came after the movie.  The story began as a play.  The writers had the story directly from the speech therapist's fulsome and detailed notes of the sessions and his lifelong (thereafter) friendship with the king.  They wanted to tell it earlier, but some one, the Queen Mother herself?  Someone asked them on behalf of the royal family to wait until Queen Elizabeth, mother of the present Queen, was dead.  Apparently they (the royals) did not disagree with, or at least raised no objection to, the story itself.  Royals usually keep their distance from and make no public remarks concerning this type of thing, but "Buckingham Palace" has been known to protest through a spokesperson when something really gets up their nose(s).  In this case, the silence is almost an endorsement!

http://productsearch.barnesandnoble.com/search/results.aspx?store=BOOK&WRD=the+king's+speech&page=&prod=univ&choice=book&query=The+King's+Speech&flag=False&ugrp=1

No, the piles of books awaiting me are just too high at present for me to risk toppling them with an addition.  Later!

Tomereader1

« Reply #1249 on: January 24, 2011, 03:00:39 PM »
Brokeback Mountain was from a short story by Annie Proulx. 

I saw The King's Speech on Saturday.  My word, was I ever wowed!
Performances by Colin Firth and Geoffrey Rush was superb!!  Can't wait till it comes out on DVD, so I can PURCHASE it. Gotta have this one in my collection.  I sat there with tears in my eyes, and then there were the scenes where I laughed out loud.  What a movie!  Deserves Oscar for both men and best picture.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

serenesheila

« Reply #1250 on: January 25, 2011, 03:20:46 AM »
I haven't been here for awhile. My 40+ y/o daughter saw the latest "True Grit" movie, and really liked it.  I love Jeff Bridges, but have read enoough comments, to know that I don't care to see it.

When I was a young child. I liked John Wayne.  That changed, when I realized that he never served in the military during WWII. 

Yesterday I watched a new program on PBS, called "Ebert Productions".  If you remember Siskel and Ebert, this is the same Richard Ebert.  He and his wife are producing this show.  There are two young people, maybe 30 y/o, are the critics.  I didn't care much for them.  However, it is my impression that Richard Ebert choses the movies being reviewed. They also have a website called: Ebert Productions.org
Sheila

serenesheila

« Reply #1251 on: January 25, 2011, 03:24:56 AM »
TOMEREADER, ohhhhhhhhhh, I so want to see "The King's Speech".  Unfortunately, I can no longer enjoy a movie in a theatre.  Sighhh  Theatres are too noisy, as I am a bit hard of hearing.
   So, until it is available on Netflix, I must wait.

Sheila

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1252 on: January 25, 2011, 08:34:50 AM »
Sheila, have you tried the assistive listening devices available in the theaters?  They don't work for me anymore, but they used to be very very helpful, both for movie and for the stage.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the King's Speech when it comes out on DVD.  Interesting, MaryPage, about the release waiting until after the Queen Mum died.  I wonder how she would have felt about it.

I've seen two from Netflix this week -- The Kids are All Right -- it was okay, but I don't see how it got a Best Comedy from the Golden Globes.

The other was an Argentine mystery -- The Secret in Their Eyes.  Again, it was okay.  I think the film code in Argentina must be a bit more liberal than in the US.  Neither was a WOW.

Babi

« Reply #1253 on: January 25, 2011, 09:26:39 AM »
 What is "Winter's Bone" about, PEDLN?  I rarely hear about a new movie until it's
ready for Netflix.

SHEILA, I can remember my Dad saying that one reason he enjoyed Audie Murphy's
westerns, is because you could believe he could actually do the things in the film.
With Murphy's war record, it didn't matter at all that he wasn't the tall, husky hero
type.  John Wayne's war movies were very patriotic and served to keep up morale during
WWII. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

serenesheila

« Reply #1254 on: January 26, 2011, 02:47:59 AM »
You are right, BABI, John Wayne was good for patriotism and morale.  So many of the leading, male stars were in the military service during WWII, though.  It seemed hypocritical of him, to STAR in movies about war, but remain a civilian.  Just my reasoning.  Sometimes, a bit wacky.

Yes, PEDLIN, I used the assisted listening devices for several years at the theaters.  However, they haven't worked well for me, for the past couple of years.  Also, the competition from people talking with each other, became too distracting.  I wonder if the ushers, of the 1930s and 40s would help?

Sheila

serenesheila

« Reply #1255 on: January 26, 2011, 02:52:27 AM »
P.S.  In addition, I now am in a lot of pain, from my old back injury.  Walking is a real challange.  I wake up in pain.  It takes an hour, or more, for it to lessen enough for me to walk into my kitchen to make breakfast.  So, unless I could find a parking place, in the middle of the day, close enough for me to walk from the car, into the movie, I would end up stuck in the parking lot. 

Sheila

Babi

« Reply #1256 on: January 26, 2011, 08:30:53 AM »
 I'm so sorry to hear your back is causing you so much pain, SHEILA.  Have you tried using one
of those long support pillows at night.  My daughter uses one and loves it.  It does provide good
support for the back. 

jeriron

« Reply #1257 on: January 26, 2011, 09:05:41 AM »
Sheila I don't think it's wacky thinking about Jon Wayne.  To me he was a fake patriot.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1258 on: January 26, 2011, 12:07:58 PM »
Sheila,I understand your problem.  No fun.  But thank goodness for Netflix.

Babi, re Winter's Bone:  It's about a 17-year-old girl who is responsible for not only her mentally ill mother, but a younger brother and sister as well, and is set in the rural Ozarks of Missouri, a very economically depressed area.  The meth-making father of the family has a court date coming up and if he does not appear the family home will be gone.  He has disappeared, and Ree, the daughter is treading where she should not, in order to find him.

Check the Netflix reviews.  They are not spoilers and may give you more of an idea what the film is about.

It's not just in the Ozarks where meth is made.  An apartment here in town caught fire because someone was cooking what he shouldn't.  Our city council passed a law requiring a doctor's prescription for previously over-the-counter cold medicine.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1259 on: January 26, 2011, 03:17:44 PM »
I saw Winter's Bone, and I guess they were good performances, but (to me) the movie was so dark and depressing that I would never recommend it to anybody.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #1260 on: January 27, 2011, 08:38:20 AM »
 JERIRON, I don't think John Wayne could be called a fake patriot. He was a conservative in politics, and presented his views on integrity and his pride in America in many films. Actually, I think he did more for the war effort as a civilian and an actor than he could possibly have as an individual soldier.

Thanks for the summary on "Winter's Bone", PEDLN.  Having just read a tragic tale of a 16-yr old girl (Little Bee), I think I'll postpone considering this one.

joyous

« Reply #1261 on: January 27, 2011, 10:37:23 AM »

Was it in here that someone mentioned Gloomy Sunday????If so,
MANY thanks!  It was available at my library both as a book and a
DVD, so I opted for the DVD, and must say it is one of the very best
movies I have ever seen----set in Hungary when Germany was seizing all Jews there,so you have some WW11, Budapest scenes,
lovely piano pieces, and a LOVE story. Whoever mentioned it, I THANK you.
JOY

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1262 on: January 27, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
Jeriron, I'm not familiar with Gloomy Sunday, but am still tense from finishing the book A Trace of Smoke, set in Berlin in 1931.  Difficult times for everyone in the area.

This is from my local newspaper this morning.  It may not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the people in the southwestern quadrant of Missouri are thrilled with the praises Winter’s Bone is receiving, not to mention it’s four Oscar nominations.  It almost sounds like a family affair, so many locals were in involved in its production.  For some it was just a hobby, for others, a boost in their professional careers.

Area musicians such as Sisco have reaped rewards. Since appearing in the film, Sisco said her life has completely changed. She went from retired, teaching an occasional class at community college, to producing a successful soundtrack for the film and traveling for it, too. She was at Sundance when the film took top honors and recently returned from a film festival in Italy. "I'm so proud to have been a part of this and so proud to be an Ozarks hillbilly. People love us all over the world," she said.

Anyway, the article is kind of like a warm fuzzy.

Filmed in Forsythe

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1263 on: January 27, 2011, 08:55:44 PM »
Thanks to those of you who recommended THE STATION AGENT. I borrowed it from our library. I thought it was wonderful! The acting by the three main characters was fantastic and the story is so imaginative.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1264 on: January 27, 2011, 08:59:25 PM »
Thanks, Pedln, for the link to that interesting article. I want to see that film and especially listen to the soundtrack.

Tomereader1

« Reply #1265 on: January 27, 2011, 10:21:10 PM »
Winter's Bone - What a totally depressing movie!

André Maurois

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1266 on: January 27, 2011, 11:03:41 PM »
I agree, Tomereader.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

serenesheila

« Reply #1267 on: January 30, 2011, 06:28:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, about my back pain.  Yes, BABI, I do sleep with a body pillow.  Without it, I do not think I would be able to even get out of bed!  I have a doctor's appointment on the 12th and plan to have a long talk with her.

Thank God, for books, this discussion group, and movies.  All of you are my social support group.

Sheila

Babi

« Reply #1268 on: January 31, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
 Let us know what your doctor says, SHEILA.  It may be helpful to some others of us with morning backaches.

MaryPage

« Reply #1269 on: February 01, 2011, 02:48:44 PM »
Upset and discouraged today because I read an article in W magazine (nothing at all to do with G.W.B., for those not in the know) complete with photo of the Hollywood version of Lisbeth Salander in the front that gives details of the filming of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.  Not only does the Hollywood star not look as much like Lisbeth as the Swedish star, but -.-. they .-.- have .-.- changed -.-. the -,-, ending!  A lot!  Sob!

Had so looked forward, and now do not! NOT!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1270 on: February 01, 2011, 05:04:42 PM »
Well, MaryPage, maybe that's how Hollywood wants to sell the film -- get everyone all hyped up about a different ending so they'll come to see what happens.  Having seen the Swedish version before reading the book, I was surprised to find that the film ending was not the ending of the book.  I enjoyed both the Tatoo and Fire films and the Tatoo book, but now cannot get excited about reading or viewing any more.  They were good stories, but now Stieg Larsson seems so 2010.

Has anyone seen this past weekend's No 1 Box-Office hit -- The Rite, with Anthony Hopkins?  I wonder if it was Hopkins, rather than the subject matter that was the draw.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #1271 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:32 PM »
pedln, I won't be seeing The Rite.  Much as I love to watch Anthony Hopkins act, I don't do that type of movie.

We saw True Grit this afternoon and really liked it.  In the last month, I've watched the John Wayne version, read the book, and now seen the new movie.  Aand I must say, I enjoyed them all.  As we've talked about before, the scenery in the first one was SO not Arkansas/Oklahoma.  And this scenery is much more Ozarks.  I preferred Jeff Bridges in the Rooster Cogburn role, and liked the way Matt Damon did LeBoeuf.  Check them all out. 

Gumtree

« Reply #1272 on: February 02, 2011, 03:56:59 AM »
They were good stories, but now Stieg Larsson seems so 2010.

Pedln - perfect - love it!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1273 on: February 02, 2011, 06:17:21 AM »
So I wonder what "is 2011" then?  :)

Babi

« Reply #1274 on: February 02, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »
Alas, MARYPAGE, Hollywood has little respect for the writers'
original stories. They feel quite free to add or subtract whatever
they feel will sell more tickets.
  Ah, early days, ROSEMARY.  That remains to be seen, but I'm sure
those who produce the shoddier stuff will continue to do so. It did seem
to me that most of the top-ranking dramas of 2010 were heavy going.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1275 on: February 02, 2011, 09:20:35 AM »
So I wonder what "is 2011" then? 

Natalie Portman?  Have you seen Black Swan?  I have not, but a friend emailed me that she thought it was weird.  But isn't Portman in another new film?

In the meantime, I'm flushing out an Amazon order with On Golden Pond, which should come soon.  And am just about finishing up Season One of the Waltons.

The other night I watched the  The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart, from Netflix, set in Budapest in I-don't know what year.  A friend had said it was even better than You've Got Mail, its modern counterpart.  I agree -- 5 stars.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1276 on: February 02, 2011, 12:05:29 PM »
One of my friends went with her 15 year old daughter to see Black Swan (it has a15 certificate here).  She was mortified by the lesbian sex scenes, etc and her daughter nearly died of emabrrassment.  She said, "what does a film have to have to get an 18 certificate?  cannibalism?"

I have this afternoon been to see "The King's Speech", it was lovely.  Colin Forth - what an actor!  What a man  ;D ;D

I used to love The Waltons when it was first on TV, would love to see the early ones again.

Rosemary

marjifay

« Reply #1277 on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:08 PM »
Pedln wrote, "The other night I watched the  The Shop Around the Corner with Jimmy Stewart, from Netflix, set in Budapest in I-don't know what year.  A friend had said it was even better than You've Got Mail, its modern counterpart.  I agree -- 5 stars."

I loved that 1940 Jimmy Stewart film.  Much better than You've Got Mail!

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

rosemarykaye

« Reply #1278 on: February 02, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
Marj - I couldn't bear You've Got Mail - but I think I was in a particularly cynical frame of mind when I saw it  :)  Sometimes I really enjoy improbably romances, but sometimes they just wind me up (just jealous really....)

R

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1279 on: February 02, 2011, 04:59:48 PM »
Well, the family relationships in Mail were interesting.  Wasn't he close to being his "own grandpa."