Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 551860 times)

CallieOK

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #120 on: April 03, 2009, 12:40:37 AM »
How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

CallieAs a program, I really liked the first "#1 Ladies"..." but I can understand how the woman who complained felt.  They took bits and pieces from several of the books, so, if you've read them all, it was a bit disjointed.
The photography is gorgeous (it was filmed in Botswana) and the actors are really good.

Babi

« Reply #121 on: April 03, 2009, 08:29:49 AM »
I haven't seen any of the 'Ladies Detective AGency videos, PEDLN.  Actually,
I've only read the first of the books. It was okay, but It didn't really
interest me enough to read another.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #122 on: April 03, 2009, 10:52:09 AM »
Callie, does the #1 Ladies .  .  .  .  have a specific title?  I'd like to put it on my Netflix queue for whenever it DOES come out in DVD.   I tried to search on McCall Smith, but didn't really want to scan the 1100+ items brought up.

joyous

« Reply #123 on: April 03, 2009, 04:23:49 PM »

My feelings exactly, Babi, but I would like to see the DVD.
JOY

Tomereader1

« Reply #124 on: April 03, 2009, 05:05:06 PM »
Looks like S&F is down again!  Hope to see a lotta postings here to make up for it.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

CallieOK

« Reply #125 on: April 03, 2009, 08:12:51 PM »
Pedlin: Titles in the Series are:
1 "The #1 Ladies Detective Agency".
2. Tears of the Giraffe
3.  Morality For Beautiful Girls
4. The Kalahari Typing School For Men
5.  The Full Cupboard of Life
6.  In the Company of Cheerful Ladies
7.  Blue Shoes and Happiness
8.  The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
9.  The Miracle at Speedy Motors

All are set in a fictional town near the real Gabarone in Botswana.

Do you think the 7 episodes of the HBO series will be out on DVD before they've all been broadcast?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
Callie, thanks for listing those titles -- are they for the films as well as the books.  I would love to see the film, if for nothing other than the scenery.

It's been a little hectic around here, so yesterday, when the supermarket had Kashi Thin Crust pizzas on sale I bought one and settled in to just watch DVDs. (Ate the whole darn thing) while watching Nights in Rodanthe, with Richard Gere and Diane ? -- it's okay, but a tad slow-moving for me.  I didn't know it was from a book by the same title by Nicholas Sparks.  I've never really been a fan of his.

Will finish watching it tonight.  I don't usually finish movies in one night, so win I do, I know it's a winner.  This one is not.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2009, 01:50:41 PM »
pedln, I, too, was disappointed by Nights in Rodanthe.  I paid for it from On Demand, because I generally like Richard Gere in romantic comedies.  But....
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2009, 03:15:35 PM »
 Thanks for the critique on that movie, Pedln and Mary.  I was considering ordering it from Netflix, but now I won't bother.  I'm always glad to avoid
disappointment   ;)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #129 on: April 11, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »
Just a suggestion, but a very good place to look at reviews of a movie is online at INTERNET MOVIE DATABASE.  I always do this before ordering a movie so I don't waste time with a bad or boring movie.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

CallieOK

« Reply #130 on: April 11, 2009, 10:45:15 PM »
pedln,  those titles aren't listed in my t v guide for the weekly episodes.  I don't think the episodes concentrate on one book's plot line.

I'm not a fan of Nicholas Sparks either - but I do like Richard Gere.  However, it seems that all his characters have been the same since "Chicago.  Maybe he's gotten lazy after all that dancing and singing.

Babi

« Reply #131 on: April 12, 2009, 10:07:01 AM »
Maybe Gere felt dancing and singing aren't 'his thing'.  I'll always remember him best for "An Officer and a Gentleman".  That was a great movie.

CallieOK

« Reply #132 on: April 12, 2009, 03:32:07 PM »
Babi, I agree about "An Officer and a Gentleman" and I suspect you're right about Gere and the dancing/singing.

This Friday night, HBO is showing all the "#1 Ladies Detective Agency" episodes, including tonight's, back-to-back.  They begin at 6:00 p.m. Central Daylight Time.

Gumtree

« Reply #133 on: April 13, 2009, 02:23:26 AM »
Enjoying the conversation about the dancing Richard Gere - I rather thought he enjoyed dancing . apart from Chicago he also danced in Shall We Dance with Susan Sarandon and Jennifer Lopez. I think there are another couple of films where he dances too but can't think of the titles right now.

Dancing or not  - I like him!
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #134 on: April 13, 2009, 09:39:54 AM »
I have cable, CALLIE, but isn't HBO one of those 'premium' channels, where you must pay extra to view?  Val and I have more than enough to watch without buying extra channels, so we don't have any of the 'premium's. Which
means, of course, that sometimes I can't see some things I would like to.

Me, too, GUM!

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #135 on: April 13, 2009, 10:16:17 AM »
I see that Netflix plans to get the Alexander McCall Smith film about Botswana -- at least it's in their database and you can "save" it -- which I've done.

CallieOK

« Reply #136 on: April 13, 2009, 10:26:27 AM »
The AMcCS "film", "series", "whatever it's called" is well worth seeing - no matter what method you use.

I haven't tried Netflix (yet). I haven't broken it down, but I think the "price" of each HBO program I watch per month justifies paying the extra premium. 

Frybabe

« Reply #137 on: April 13, 2009, 02:52:52 PM »
I noticed that The World According to Garp was on TV last night. Something I hadn't realized before is that it was adapted from a John Irving book. Robin Williams played the lead as he did in Dead Poet's Society. Both of these movies were very good, but both were also disturbing enough for me not to want to watch them again. I can't quite place my finger on what bothers me. Maybe it is because of the tragic outcomes. I have seen movies before that did not have happy endings, but they didn't make me feel uncomfortable like these two did.

CallieOK

« Reply #138 on: April 13, 2009, 03:59:48 PM »
Frybabe, do you think it might be more disturbing to see these kinds of stories acted out than to read them? 

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #139 on: April 13, 2009, 09:09:32 PM »
Callie, I'll not try to answer for Frybabe, but for me, reading Garp was also very disturbing. Irving is just plain weird at times, but also, the images he paints are sometimes hard to deal with.  I don't remember that much about Dead Poets Society, other than it took place at a boys' boarding school, supposedly in the Nashville, TN area.. The name eludes me right now.

Re: Netflix.  It's been a lifesaver for me as I have great difficulty hearing and understanding dialog in the theatres, and in my town we get a subtitled foreign film about once a millenium.

CallieOK

« Reply #140 on: April 13, 2009, 09:49:05 PM »
Pedln, I don't know anything about Garp but I vaguely remember seeing Dead Poets Society.

I'm sure I will be interested in Netflix at some point.  I,too, have problems with dialog in many movies I see in the theater.  I've thought it might be because I use closed captioning so much when I'm watching t v.   (Probably not! <smile>)

Gumtree

« Reply #141 on: April 14, 2009, 01:32:17 AM »
Frybabe: I found The Dead Poet's Society film very unsettling and would never watch it again - although maybe I should to see what it is about it that bothered me so much. I don't think it was the outcome as, in general, a tragic ending doesn't unsettle me - rather the opposite because there is generally some fundamental truth being explored by the tragedy - but Dead Poets - I think I'll still give it a miss if it crosses my path again...
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #142 on: April 14, 2009, 08:42:32 AM »
FRYBABE got me to thinking with that post.  It seems to me that a tragic ending can be uplifting, if we can see a purpose in it and it leaves us with a
feeling of hope.  The tragic endings that leave one with a sense of hopelessness or futility, an ugliness that seems to leave stains on the spirit....these are the
ones that we would rather not have seen.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #143 on: April 15, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
Our Humorous short story for the month starts today - come on over and join  us for our monthly 10 day discussion - and - the O'Henry story was made into a movie although I did not see it as a movie and only remember reading it in School laughing along with the rest of the class. - Here is the link to "The Ransom of Red Chief" http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=436.0
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #144 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51:56 PM »
Babi, you may have hit the nail on the head.

marjifay

« Reply #145 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:52 AM »
I just watched a fascinating 2006 film: FUR:AN IMAGINARY PORTRAIT OF DIANE ARBUS, with Nicole Kidman and Robert Downey, Jr.  It was not from a book, but the fictional portrayal of the life of Arbus, who "they" say was one of the most original and influential photographers of the 20th century.  And I believe she was when I looked at some of her photographs -- unusual to say the least.  The movie reminded me of Beauty and the Beast, and one reviewer said it was reminiscent of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, a good comparison I thought.  I want to see the film again.

One reviewer said something that I really agree with regarding the filming of books.  He said, "I don't look to cinema to find something that is readily available at my local library."  I've never understood why people get so upset if the movie doesn't follow the book exactly.  I read the book first and then am interested to see how the director has used his/her imagination to create something just as wonderful as the book altho' it may differ in many ways.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

joyous

« Reply #146 on: April 19, 2009, 08:11:36 PM »

Did any of you see the movie OR read the book NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN?  I did not, but the library has the DVD of it and I may go by and pick it up.  Of course I am a member of Netflix, and could get it there.
JOY

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #147 on: April 19, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »
Oh Joy, aren't senior mements frustrating.  I can't remember if I've seen No country for old men, or not. It was on my Netflix que and it's not there now, but no yellow stars showing either.  Maybe I checked it out from the library -- they have it.  I can picture Tommy Lee Jones, but am not sure if I'm picturing him there or in The Valley of Elah -- now that one I can recommend.  Very good.  I know at one time I was hesitant because everyone was talking about how violent it was.  Sorry not to be much more help.  I'd suggest getting it from your library, and have your netflix for backup.

Last night I watched Dashiel Hammet's Maltese Falcon, which I'm sure I'd seen before -- with Humphrey Bogart and Mary Astor.  I know this was a biggie in its day, but it just seemed to lack a bit of oomph.  Now African Queen I could watch every day of the week, but not the MF.  What's another good Bogie movie besides Casablanca?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2009, 09:05:53 PM »
Now African Queen I could watch every day of the week.

Me too.  It seems to be hard to come by but my daughter gave me a copy, and I've watched it a number of times.

marjifay

« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2009, 11:47:39 PM »
I read the book, NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, and also saw the movie, a Coen Brothers film.  Both were great.  I don't believe you'd forget the movie, Pedln.  Javier Bardem played the villian and you wouldn't forget him.  He received an Oscar for this.  Bardem also did another very good film, BEFORE NIGHT FALLS, about the Cuban writer and poet, Reynaldo Arenas. 

I think I'd recommend reading NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN before seeing the movie.

Babi

« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2009, 09:03:29 AM »
I, too, read the book and saw the movie.  The movie was good; the book was even better. Nevertheless, much of the story was harsh and the ending was sad.

joyous

« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2009, 09:50:27 AM »

Pedlin: I am VERY familiar with senior moments! They are becoming more and more frequent.
Since I have such a hard time remembering what movies I have or have not seen I have begun
to jot down the title and brief note of history after seeing it. :'(
Case in point---Valley of Elah--- I think I watched but have no clue. ;D
JOY

Mippy

« Reply #152 on: April 25, 2009, 06:40:53 AM »
Just catching up after a few weeks away from "fun" time on the computer:
regarding:    The World According to Garp  ... one of the most unpleasant books I've
ever read.   I came close to throwing it out, which I never, never do ... and finally
put it in the library return box, where I often put mysteries, etc, which I've finished.

Our good news is as of next weekend, we're getting free movies-on-demand from
Comcast because we signed up for "triple-play"  which is that we added telephone to
our existing service of Internet and cable TV.

What shall I watch first?   Comcast provides a library of hundreds of movies on demand, which one can watch anytime, can pause, can watch over 2 nights, etc.   This is particularly helpful because during baseball season ... Go Redsox ... my husband ties up the TV from about 8:30 on.   Now I can watch half-a-movie before that, and finish it another night.  I have such an old DVD player that I couldn't easily do that.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

Babi

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »
Ties up the television during prime time for the entire baseball season?!  I hope you enjoy baseball, too, Mippy.  I'd have to go buy a second TV! 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #154 on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:58 PM »
Mippy, I wish I had the Redsox to watch.  After forever without a ball team, Washington DC has finally got the Nationals, but I can't watch them because they're only on a sports network I don't get.  And they're even worse than the old Senators I watched when I was young--won 3 games out of 15 so far.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #155 on: April 25, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
Hey, come to think of it, the movie "Damn Yankees" is based on a book, "The Year the Yankees Lost the Pennant" by Douglass Wallop.  It resonates strongly for a DC native, loyal to the Senators through thick and thin.  I watched the movie again a couple of years ago, and it holds up very well, although with some sexist assumptions.  Gwen Verdon is magnificent.

Mippy

« Reply #156 on: April 27, 2009, 09:31:08 AM »
Hi, PatH ... who knew ...  fellow RedSox fan!

We saw the wonderful stage play musical, Damn Yankees, about 4 years ago here on Cape Cod
at Monomoy Theater, where the actors are mostly college kids from somewhere in
Ohio ... cannot recall ... with sometimes a pro- for the lead.

We go to these plays almost every year, but that still leaves me with my ongoing
discussion of:  which movie do you love that I should watch on Comcast?  They
claim to have a library of 400 old movies, with new ones added every month;
we'll see in a few weeks when I return home from helping my daughter with
our 2-week old new grandson, Casey.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #157 on: April 27, 2009, 11:23:10 AM »
Mippy, I don't know how old it is, or if it's on On Demand.  But, if you haven't seen it (or not recently), be sure to watch "Second Hand Lion"  with Michael Caine, Robert Duvall, and Haley Joel Osment.  Magnificent!!!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Mippy

« Reply #158 on: April 27, 2009, 04:23:51 PM »
Thanks, Maryz, it sounds like a terrific choice!     :D

If I were to suggest just one movie, in the books-into-movie category, I'd go for
Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001).    Did anyone else here like it?  It's good enough
to see again.

Of course all the period movies a la Withering Heights, etc are fun, but I've seen
most of that genre more than once.

Pedln/Ann   ~  too busy with Latin to make a suggestion here?    (She and I
have been swamped with work during this final week of class with dear Ginny.)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #159 on: April 27, 2009, 06:15:56 PM »
Second-Hand Lion and Corelli's Mandolin both -- wonderful.

The other night I watch Slumdog Millionaire, which is from a book or short story.  Difficult to watch in many parts, but the way the story unfolded was fascinating.  I didn't like it at first -- it took a little getting into, but I haven't returned it yet to Netflix, and may watch the beginning again.  But once I got into it, excellent.  Did any of you read R. Mistry's  A Fine Balance when we discussed it a few years ago?  That kept coming to mind often, during this film.