Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 550698 times)

Tomereader1

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #4080 on: July 30, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
How many of you have read a book,
then watched a movie that was based on that same book?

Were you disappointed?
Or elated that they hadn't made any significant changes?
Or even surprised to discover the movie was even better than the book?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of this very popular subject right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

"Vicious" - not so much like the Odd Couple; a real "campy" portrayal of a same sex couple having been together many years.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

marjifay

« Reply #4081 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:48 PM »
I enjoyed the scenery and buildings, especially some churches, when I visited Vienna, but one thing that spoiled it was when I was in a restaurant sitting next to a group of people who were berating Jewish people and not quietly.  Now I just get a bad feeling of Vienna whenever I hear it mentioned.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #4082 on: August 06, 2015, 12:01:43 PM »
People believe what they are raised to believe, and it is bred deep in the bone in those parts.  As the song goes in South Pacific:

"You have to be taught, before it's too late, to hate all the people your relatives hate;  you have to be carefully taught."

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4083 on: August 20, 2015, 10:39:55 PM »
It seems we've got summer doldrums here.  My little dinner and movie group seems to be suffering from the same thing.  We go out for dinner about once a week, then watch a film  on DVD, mainly from Netflix or someones personal collection. We've seen so many good ones, mostly Academy Award winners from this year, and I just received The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, which we'll watch this week. What are some films that you all might think warrant a second viewing, perhaps something from years past. Casablanca is one of those films for me, also The African Queen.  I've watched The Help about three or four times, and have put Calendar Girls and The Counterfeiters on my queue for repeat  viewings.  Do you have any you turn to when the mood suits, any recommendations for my group.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4084 on: August 25, 2015, 12:07:10 AM »
The African Queen is definitely worth rewatching many times, and is a rare example of a movie that's better than the book.  And I really liked Calendar Girls--two favorite stars, Helen Mirren and Ciaran Hinds.  Movies I liked well enough to buy that also would work for group watching: Persuasion, the BBC version with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds is the best ever filming of this book--it does a remarkable job of portraying a story that takes place so much inside people's heads.

The BBC did a series of the Dorothy L. Sayers mysteries with Ian Carmichael as Lord Peter Wimsey.  The best is The Nine Taylors, also her best mystery story.  The background of a Norfolk village, bell ringing in a small parish church, the dramatic things that happen when the sluice gates break and the dykes flood, what it's like to be shoved into battle in WWI when you aren't a soldier, etc., are beautifully pictured.  Unfortunately for your purposes, it's 3 1/2 hours long, so you either have to split it or have a very dedicated bunch of watchers.  Five Red Herrings is also good, but is long too.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4085 on: August 25, 2015, 10:23:49 PM »
PatH, Nine Tailors is a good suggestion -- for two nights of movies.  I watched it this past spring and really enjoyed it.  SeniorNet read and discussed it back in 2003 -- with Bill H as discussion leader.  I have not read or seen any other Dorothy Sayers works.  Will have to take a look at Five Red Herrings, too.

I've heard of some new ones these past few weeks -- Ricky and the Flash with Meryl STreep,  The Gift with ???, and Grandma with Lily Tomlin.  Has anyone seen any of these?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4086 on: August 26, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Five Red Herrings involves six artists, painting in the Scottish countryside.  One is murdered, and Wimsey is trying to sort out which of the other five did it.  Keeping the suspects straight is difficult, and the clues involve a complicated timetable, but the artists are amusing and the countryside is beautiful.

marjifay

« Reply #4087 on: September 03, 2015, 12:36:25 PM »
I just watched a great movie on the Turner Classic Movie Channel that I would like to highly recommend--AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE, adapted from the dramatic play by Henrik Ibsen.  All the actors were very good, but the one I especially found fascinating was the main character, played by of all people, Steve McQueen.  You would never know him in the role of Dr. Thomas Stockman, made up in long hair and a beard, playing a serious older man completely different from his usual cool, tough guy roles, but he did an excellent job.  When the movie was finished the producers were reluctant to put it out in theaters because they feared people would not accept McQueen in a role like this, so they played it on the  public television station.  They did play it in a couple of theaters, in one of which McQueen watched unnoticed.  He was shocked to see a young teenage boy stand up at the beginning of the film and shout "which one is Steve McQueen!"  and then stomp out of the theater.  But apparently it was so well accepted on public television that they decided to place it in theaters, but not for three more years.  Sadly, by that time McQueen had died of his cancer.  The film is available on Netflix and is certainly worth watching.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #4088 on: September 04, 2015, 07:23:31 AM »
I have a suggestion for your group, Pedln.  Aside from AN ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE which I just talked about, this one is in a lighter vein and one of my favorite Coen Brothers films:  THE HUDSUCKER PROXY, starring Tim Robbins, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Paul Newman.

mabel1015j

« Reply #4089 on: September 04, 2015, 12:13:36 PM »
Thanks to my kind friend Fran, i am getting to rewatch Monarch of the Glenn, not a movie but a PBS series from about 10 years ago. Fran gave me her Netflix password to watch Grace and Frankie, the Lilie Tomlin/Jane Fonda Netflix series. After watching it - it's great, by the way - I looked thru the other options and there was Monarch of the Glenn. It is from a series of books. The scenary, the writing, the acting are all good. I'm watching one or two episodes a day, what a joy!

Anyone remember seeing the series?

Jean

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4090 on: September 05, 2015, 10:27:27 PM »
I have seen Monarch of the Glen, Jean.  It's been a while and I don't remember a whole lot of details, but Netflix tells me I gave it four stars which means it's certainly enjoyable and worth watching.

Marjifay, I've added Hudsucker Proxy to my queue.  It should be good for my group.  We need something a bit off the wall.

A friend suggested the film McFarland with Kevin Costner.  I'd never heard of it, but Netflix has it  -- a sports film about a group of Hispanic teen-agers who shape up into a formidable cross country team.  Lots of 5 star reviews on Amazon.  Has anyone seen it?

I'm currently binging on Newsroom.  I watched season one a few years back and now have the first disc of Season two, but checked out season one from the library  to get reaquainted with all the characters before continuing on.

Frybabe

« Reply #4091 on: October 05, 2015, 06:55:16 AM »
My sister and BIL took me to see The Martian yesterday for my birthday. The movie did not disappoint. It stayed pretty close to the book. There were a few minor changes, one thing that could have been explained just a tad more, and one thing left out that I could see. Matt Damon did a good job of showing Watney's swings back and forth from depression and giving up to being "pumped up" and determined to survive. Can't say that the music was anything special, except that they did play a few oldies that I like. "Hot Stuff" and "I Will Survive".

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4092 on: October 05, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »
That sounds like a good one, Frybabe.  I'm not usually a sci fi fan, but THe Martian sounds more survival than sci fi.  Always  enjoy Matt Damon.

The other night I watched McFarland USA with my dinner and movie group.  It's a feel-good film about an underdog sports team -- this time cross country.  Kevin Costner is the coach.

Frybabe

« Reply #4093 on: October 06, 2015, 07:11:57 AM »
Pedln, I like to think of The Martian as science possible rather than fiction. It mixes mostly science we already know with almost there science (Weir went to a great deal of effort to make the science as factual as possible) and a can do/never give up attitude that I like. Another great plus for the book/movie is Watney's sense of humor that inspired Ridley Scott to buy the movie rights even though the book was not yet in print (or barely out in print- not sure of the time line).

Inside Science has a nice article on the real life science behind the movie.
https://www.insidescience.org/content/inside-spaceflight-martian/3251

I was surprised by the October release; it was originally scheduled for November 25. Also, there has not been, at least around here, much advertising for the movie, unlike Tom Hanks new movie, Bridge of Spies, which is being advertised heavily here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #4094 on: October 07, 2015, 09:46:44 AM »
You don't have to be a sci fi fan to like The Martian, even though it has a lot of sci in it.

marjifay

« Reply #4095 on: October 25, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
I just checked out The Martian from the library.  Going to give it another try.  I tossed it previously, unable to get thru all the technical mumbo jumbo when he was trying to fix the space ship.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #4096 on: October 25, 2015, 03:01:54 PM »
I watched a couple of good western-type movies on Turner Classic Movie Channel last night.  The Big Sky with Kirk Douglas, though in this one a bunch of the men spoke French and it was a bit difficult to know what they were talking about, but you could get the idea from the exciting action.

The other was The Cowboys with John Wayne and a young Bruce Dern (I loved Dern in Nebraska).  I'm not really a John Wayne fan, but have liked some of his movies.  In this one Wayne's character had to move a bunch of cattle to market, and his helpers run off to hunt for gold and leave him.  So, desperate,  he hires some young teen age boys to take their place (very good acting and horse-riding BTW).  Wayne gets rather brutally shot and killed by Dern which doesn't usually happen in Wayne films. The Turner Movie Channel host said Wayne had said it was kind of interesting for him to get killed off about two-thirds of the way into the film by Bruce Dern, since in another movie with Dern, Wayne had killed Dern.  Now they were even, he said.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4097 on: October 26, 2015, 11:44:15 AM »
Marjifay, I'm glad you mentioned The Cowboys.  I've never seen it, nor am I a John Wayne fan. I don't dislike him, but am just not into his type of films.  But, I just finished looking at Netflix reviews and it got so many raves -- as a wonderful film, not just a John Wayne film, I'm going to add it to my queue.

It looks like there are a lot of new movies coming out this month and next.  Has anyone seen anything they think might make it into Oscarland next year?

marjifay

« Reply #4098 on: October 26, 2015, 06:02:50 PM »
I haven't seen the TV series Monarch of the Glen, but it sounds interesting so I put the book on my TBR list.

I'm bored by most sports so I won't watch the Kevin Costner sports film you mentioned, Pedln.  My favorits Kevin Costner film was Dancing with Wolves.  Another good film, very suspenseful, he did was No Way Out which co-starred Gene Hackman as a bad guy.  Kenneth Fearing, who wrote it, also wrote The Big Clock which was made into a very good suspense film with Ray Milland.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4099 on: November 09, 2015, 01:29:04 PM »
I hope I'm not repeating a discussion that has already taken place, but I am looking forward to the new Lady in the Van film, which is based on Alan Bennett's writings about Miss Shepherd, the eccentric woman who parked her van in his drive in Camden - and stayed for 20+ years. It comes out here later this month - is it already out in the US?

Tomereader1

« Reply #4100 on: November 09, 2015, 06:48:40 PM »
Rosemary, so glad to see you here once again.  I have read "The Lady in the Van" but hadn't heard about a movie being made of it.  I will check ImDB to see what I can find. (I have a copy of Lady in the Van!)
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4101 on: November 10, 2015, 07:13:18 AM »
Hi Tomereader - great to see you too :)

Guess who is playing Miss Shepherd? Maggie Smith of course - who else? I think she and Bennett are good friends.  I hope the film is as good as the book - I doubt if those two would have been involved if it weren't.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #4102 on: November 10, 2015, 11:43:34 AM »
ImDb says the movie will be here January 15, 2016!

André Maurois

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #4103 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:22 PM »
I saw the trailer for it it looks fabulous!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4104 on: November 14, 2015, 08:01:05 AM »
People here who saw it yesterday said it was great! Looking forward to it.

marjifay

« Reply #4105 on: November 28, 2015, 05:42:31 PM »
Has anyone seen the current movie, Bridge of Spies, with Tom Hanks?  I'm reading the nonfiction book by Giles Whittell which was made into the movie -- very interesting with some fascinating bits about the cold war.  I put the movie on my Netflix queue, but it will probably be a long time until it's available.  I can't see it in the theater, because my hearing is not good enough.  I need ear phones or subtitles.  I upgraded my medicare insurance to include hearing aids.  Can hardly wait until Jan. 1 when I can get them.  Only $400.  I answered a TV Ad about some supposedly inexpensive hearing aids, and when I went in person to see about them it turned out they would cost me $5,000 per ear!!  Yikes!

Marj

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4106 on: November 29, 2015, 05:43:31 PM »
Haven't seen it yet, Marj, but it's definitely on our wish list - together with The Lady in the Van, Carol and Brooklyn.

Tomereader1

« Reply #4107 on: December 07, 2015, 01:11:19 PM »
Other than a couple of football games, hubby and I spent yesterday watching a couple of movies.  We re-watched "The Theory of Everything", which IMHO the second viewing is even better than the first time.  Once again, simply awed by that Oscar-winning performance by Eddie Redmayne. 
Then, watched one I didn't think I would watch.  I haven't read the book as so many people did not seem to like it.  "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon.  It was a good movie, (a bit too much about her sexual escapades though).  I had a time trying to sort thru the flashbacks, but managed  finally.  It's one I probably won't re-watch, but glad we saw it.  Think I might read the book.

André Maurois

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #4108 on: December 10, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
Reposted from the Science Fiction books discussion:

The SYFY channel will bring Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End to TV in a 3 part (6 hour) miniseries Mon.-Wed. Dec. 14-16, at 8 p.m. I've read that they've made quite a few changes from the book for the tv adaptation.

After the last episode they will show the first episode of an adaptation of Lev Grossman's  MAGICIANS trilogy. See http://www.avclub.com/article/syfy-air-first-episode-magicians-after-end-childho-229538

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4109 on: December 10, 2015, 11:56:45 AM »
That should make SciFi fans happy, Marcie.

The Golden Globes have been announced.  CNN listed them so fast I didn't catch all, but saw "The Lady in the Van" up for something.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #4110 on: December 10, 2015, 01:08:27 PM »
the Tom Hanks movie is fabulous - saw it after our Thanksgiving dinner - the integrity of that man is unbelievable - he being the lawyer that represented the Russian spy - played I forgot his name but the guy who played Cromwell in the Henry the Eighth PBS series this fall - then the Tom Hanks character was the one who negotiated the Swap for Gary Powers and another unknown kid, a student studying in what became East Berlin who was caught when the wall went up as he was trying to get back to the other side. Fabulous movie - but then does Tom Hanks ever make a bad movie...?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4111 on: December 10, 2015, 04:06:17 PM »
Hi Barb, it is Mark Rylance you are thinking of. I haven't seen this film yet, but he was wonderful in Wolf Hall.

Rosemary

Tomereader1

« Reply #4112 on: December 10, 2015, 04:36:54 PM »
I get an email from a site called "words and Pictures".  Today they had a somewhat scathing review of "The Lady in the Van".  Don't think I'll bother to see that one. (even with Dame Maggie Smith).

André Maurois

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4113 on: December 10, 2015, 05:28:35 PM »
That's interesting. 'The List' here in Edinburgh gave it 3* - but they were a lot keener on Bridge of Spies, Carol and Brooklyn.

Rosemary

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4114 on: December 11, 2015, 02:22:36 PM »
I'll have to wait for the DVDs, but am glad to know there are several good films coming along.  "Carol" is based on Patricia HIghsmith's The Price of Salt.  Has anyone read it?

Barb, glad to see your comments about Tom Hanks and  Bridge of Spies.  I remember last Oscar season how much I enjoyed the biographical/historical films about Stephen Hawking and Alan Turing, and am glad there will be others in that vein. "Bridge" is supposedly based on a book, too, one that was published back in the sixties.  Has anyone read that one?

rosemarykaye

« Reply #4115 on: December 11, 2015, 03:23:52 PM »
I'm afraid I've read neither Pedln. Didn't know Bridge of Spies was based on a book till you told us!

Tomereader1

« Reply #4116 on: December 11, 2015, 03:24:00 PM »
I read "The Price of Salt" way back many, many years, probably when it first was published.  Fat chance of getting a copy of it now; although maybe Alibris or Amazon might have one ($$$).

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4117 on: December 12, 2015, 06:45:59 AM »
I did not know either that the Tom Hanks spy movie was based on a book!?!?! It must have been a history book because I remember the whole debacle over Gary Powers and swapping him for a Russian Spy - ah so - to me seeing how it all happened with so much realism that a movie can show was like going back in time - again, fabulous movie so well acted you forget any of them are acting... I think all it takes is a couple of good actors and they raise the bar for everyone.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #4118 on: December 12, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
The book in question, upon which the movie is loosely based, is Strangers on a Bridge:the Case of Colonel Abel and Francis Gary Powers by James Donovan.  Published in 1964.  Donovan is the lawyer who defended Abel.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #4119 on: December 12, 2015, 04:12:48 PM »
Thanks Pedln - here it is as bold as life on Amazon - the come-on says...
The New York Times bestseller now the subject of the major motion picture Bridge of Spies directed by Steven Spielberg, starring Tom Hanks as James B. Donovan.

Originally published in 1964, this is the “enthralling…truly remarkable” (The New York Times Book Review) insider account of the Cold War spy exchange—with a new foreword by Jason Matthews, New York Times bestselling author of Red Sparrow and Palace of Treason.

In the early morning of February 10, 1962, James B. Donovan began his walk toward the center of the Glienicke Bridge, the famous “Bridge of Spies” which then linked West Berlin to East. With him, walked Rudolf Ivanovich Abel, master spy and for years the chief of Soviet espionage in the United States. Approaching them from the other side, under equally heavy guard, was Francis Gary Powers, the American U-2 spy plane pilot famously shot down by the Soviets, whose exchange for Abel Donovan had negotiated. These were the strangers on a bridge, men of East and West, representatives of two opposed worlds meeting in a moment of high drama.

Abel was the most gifted, the most mysterious, the most effective spy in his time. His trial, which began in a Brooklyn United States District Court and ended in the Supreme Court of the United States, chillingly revealed the methods and successes of Soviet espionage