Author Topic: Movies & Books Into Movies  (Read 550742 times)

Babi

Re: Movies & Books Into Movies
« Reply #520 on: March 02, 2010, 09:07:05 AM »

So many movies – how do  you choose what to watch?
Reviews?  Recommendations?  Actors?  Availability?
Do you choose a movie the same way you choose a book?

And where do you like to watch most of your movies?
Do you stream movies from Netflix and other places?
Where’s the strangest place you’ve ever watched a film?

Join us in an ongoing discussion of your favorite movies right now.
Pull up a chair, take off your shoes, pour yourself a cup of coffee or hot chocolate, and join in!

Your Discussion Leader: pedln

??? I didn't know there was a drive-in movie left in the country!
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #521 on: March 02, 2010, 11:21:24 AM »
Joan K said, "Haven't been to a drive-in movie in decades. I hope you necked."

Well, that might have made the movie (Shutter Island) more interesting, but darn I was with my son!  LOL!  He and I pretty much like the same type of movies.

Yes, Babi, there are still a few drive-in theaters around -- three of them not too far by freeway from where I live.  We like to go once in a while because you don't have to listen to rude people talking or chomping on food during the movie.  And the sound now comes through your car's FM radio, not those old sound boxes.  Trouble is, they show mostly loud action type films which I'm not too fond of. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #522 on: March 03, 2010, 08:07:56 AM »
  MARJ, I started to say drive-ins were also nice when you didn't want to get dressed up to go
out.  But then it occurred to me that nowadays most people don't seem to feel the need to
get dressed up to go most anywhere.  We'll march into a nice restaurant looking like we've
been out weeding the garden.  :-\
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marjifay

« Reply #523 on: March 03, 2010, 08:08:00 AM »
I watched SECONDS (1966), a John Frankenheimer film (he also directed The Manchurian Candidate).  SECONDS was a very strange film I'd never seen before.  Stars Rock Hudson, John Randolph and some minor parts by now well known actors (Will Geer, Murray Hamilton)  It's about a middle aged man (John Randolph) whose life had become pretty blah, and he is offered a new life by a mysterious "company."  For $30 K, they will arrange to "kill" off his current identity and make him into a completely new, younger man (Rock Hudson) with a new face, body, and a brand new life.  He goes for it, but then....
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Gumtree

« Reply #524 on: March 03, 2010, 08:45:43 AM »
   nowadays most people don't seem to feel the need to
get dressed up to go most anywhere.  We'll march into a nice restaurant looking like we've
been out weeding the garden.  :-\

Absolutely true Babi. Recently whilst staying with son in Sydney we decided on a movie and a casual meal afterwards. DH & I had a quick shower and changed. Son & DIL went as they were.  Others at movie and restaurant were much the same - I wondered if it was meant to be Shabby chic or something. But casual attire sure has a lot going for it. Just think back to our young days when we went to the movies dressed up in our Friday night best. Suits and ties for the lads and good dresses, stockings, high heels and gloves for the girls. Spare me !
Reading is an art and the reader an artist. Holbrook Jackson

Babi

« Reply #525 on: March 03, 2010, 09:16:13 AM »
 Good point, there, GUM.  I gave up pantyhose and high heels at the first practical opportunity.
Haven't even owned a pair of either for many years now, and am quite happy to be rid of them.  :)

Gumtree

« Reply #526 on: March 03, 2010, 09:20:03 AM »
Yes, they're a thing of the past for me too. I think I've got a couple of pairs of new pantyhose but haven't worn them in years. Must discard them.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #527 on: March 03, 2010, 05:42:52 PM »
Remember girdles?  Gad zooks, we wore them when we didn't even need them.  And those iron maiden things that cinched you in, garter belts, crinolines -- how many did you wear at once.  My uncle always said the main thing he remembered about driving me off to college for the first time was all the men who were carrying all these crinolines into the dorms. Ha. If our granddaughters could hear us they'd think we were talking about the 1500's.

I have given up skirts for the duration.  Haven't worn one in years.

CallieOK

« Reply #528 on: March 03, 2010, 06:56:47 PM »
Did any of you wear "Spring-o-lators", the 1950's version of stilettos? Oh -  the hours I danced in those things (wearing my panty-girdle with the attached loop/button things to hold up my hose - and at least 3 crinolines) !!!!
Huaraches and soft moccasins were our version of Flip-Flops.
No wonder I have to wear ankle/foot braces now!!!

mrssherlock

« Reply #529 on: March 03, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
How 'bout hats?  Remember when the outfit to include a spiffy hat along with the girdle, high heels, nylons and gloves?  I was watching a tribute to Billie Holiday/Lady Day on Ovation which showed her singing in clubs and the all the women were wearing hats!
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

CallieOK

« Reply #530 on: March 03, 2010, 08:40:12 PM »
I remember dressing like that to go to a college football game!!!

marjifay

« Reply #531 on: March 03, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »
Pedln, glad to hear I'm not the only one who never wears skirts.  I don't even own one anymore.

I used to love to get a new hat at Eastertime.  I don't own one of those either.

I think black ladies still like fancy hats -- remember the one worn by the lady who participated in Obama's inauguration?  Also, gorgeous hats show up on the heads of society ladies at the Kentucky Derby.

Marj

serenesheila

« Reply #532 on: March 03, 2010, 11:35:28 PM »
You all are my kind of women!  I was injured at work, and retired on a job related disability.  I injured my back.  Spent two years in a hospital bed, in traction.  My husband was blind.  We agreed that I would be his eyes, and he would carry things for me.  We both laughed, as he helped me get into panty hose, when we were going out.

After my injury. I gave up on both skirts, and high heels.  Frankly, I was happy to give up both.  Do any of you remember saddle shoes?  And circular skirts?  Remember sock hops?

Sheila

CallieOK

« Reply #533 on: March 04, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »
I volunteer at The Oklahoma History Museum, where a huge exhibit on Rock & Roll in Oklahoma opened last summer. 

Last Fall, "The 50's" was the theme of our volunteer banquet. Without knowing what anyone else would be wearing,  six of us chose to wear rolled up blue jeans, a man's white shirt (worn untucked), a small scarf around our neck, bobby socks and either saddle shoes or penny loafers - with pennies, of course. It was as if we were back in high school and had called around to be sure we were all dressing alike.  :)

Oh - and four of us wore our guy's class ring on a ribbon around our neck!

Gumtree

« Reply #534 on: March 04, 2010, 12:55:11 AM »
I'd forgotten about the girdle! And cinch belts around the waist.

Pretty hats are de rigeur at major race meetings here - the Melbourne Cup of course but lots of others as well. And at weddings too. I have plenty of hats with wide brims to keep the sun at bay whenever I'm outdoors. Very necessary!

Have given up on skirts but still have a few ...I think they're making a comeback.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #535 on: March 04, 2010, 03:09:44 AM »
Hats!  What about those awful veils with spots that danced in front of your eyes?  Gloves!  "A lady doesn't go downtown without white gloves".  Skirts!  I own some, but I can't think when I last wore any of them.  I look dumb in hats, but I do have some wool watch caps for winter and some wide brims for sun.

Babi

« Reply #536 on: March 04, 2010, 08:10:10 AM »
Crinolines? Cinches? Did you really, CALLIE and PEDLN? I've always
associated crinolines with the 19th century!
  I still own a couple of skirts, but only because I never throw away
anything wearable. That doesn't mean I wear them.   ::) I do go through
from time to time and give stuff away, tho'. And what isn't wearable
becomes rags, naturally.

CallieOK

« Reply #537 on: March 04, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »
Absolutely, Babi!  How do you think Elizabeth Taylor kept all those shirtwaist-style dress skirts so "swirly"? ;)

The first semester I lived in a sorority house, I shared a "single" room with a pledge.  I, the member, slept in the room - she slept on the sleeping porch.  However, we shared the closet, dresser, etc.   I finally got tired of her piling her crinolines on my bed - and put them all out in the hall!!  Fortunately, we always switched rooms/roommates at the beginning of each semester.  :D

I once had a black patent leather hat that I wore with a black/white suit, white gloves and black patent leather pumps. If I remember correctly, that's what I wore to interviews with various school districts before I started to teach.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #538 on: March 04, 2010, 05:48:48 PM »
"Pedln, glad to hear I'm not the only one who never wears skirts". No, I'm a mem,ber of the club, too. I have one dress that I wear to funerals, but I always have to buy new pantyhose to wear with it, because I run them every time I wear them.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #539 on: March 04, 2010, 07:02:17 PM »
I kind of like to wear skirts - particularly in the summertime.  They're so much cooler.  But this under NO circumstances involves pantyhose.  I quit wearing those many, many years ago.  The skirts I wear are usually ankle length, and I wear socks with my sneakers (the only shoes I wear, except for sandals or flipflops in the summertime.)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2010, 08:30:04 AM »
I'll bet you were stunning, CALLIE! And what could be more correct for
a proper teacher than black and white?

I own exactly three pairs of shoes, MARY, including a pair of 'walking'
shoes, aka 'sneakers'.  I would like to have a pair of sandals
(NO thongs) if I could just find a pair with supporting ankle straps.
Seen any like that?

Phyll

« Reply #541 on: March 05, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »
I remember dressing like that to go to a college football game!!!
OMG, so do I!  And for Homecoming your date would pin a big corsage of Mums on you.  Weren't we spiffy?

And I remember how the Huaraches rubbed blisters on my feet until they softened and got worn in.  And how we didn't dare show up at school in NEW saddle shoes.  I always rubbed dirt on my new saddles before I wore them to school.  My dad had a fit!

And I don't think I remember what a skirt felt like.  ;D  Is that the thing that when I wore it my Mom kept saying, "Will you sit up and put your knees together and try to act like a lady!"
phyllis

Tomereader1

« Reply #542 on: March 05, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
Yep, Phyll, that's what it was.  But then...(drum roll) the mini-skirt came into fashion.  And you'd better have those knees together then!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

CallieOK

« Reply #543 on: March 05, 2010, 10:30:28 PM »
Phyll,  I forgot about the Mums (probably because I rarely got one  :().   Always got a wrist corsage for dances because of the strapless gowns.

I vaguely remember an admonition for lady-like behavior - "Knees together, teeth apart" - or was it "feet apart"?  I don't remember why either were supposed to be "apart"   :-\

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #544 on: March 06, 2010, 12:12:49 AM »
Babi, I have my daily sneakers, and my "dress" sneakers - black SAS walkers.  That's as good as it gets. ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2010, 08:45:42 AM »
MARY  ;D   

mabel1015j

« Reply #546 on: March 07, 2010, 10:50:25 AM »
when i was in high school, i and most of my friends made our skirts out of 31/2 yards of cotton material, gathered at the waist and lots of crinoline under neath. We wore them w/ our cardigan sweaters turned backward and a small scarf around our necks, the knot turned to the side w/ a circle pin attached. That was the "formal" fashion to Callie's bluejean/bobbie soxer look...................

you may have discussed this before, but i heard someone say that Crazy Heart is from a book, does anyone know if that is the name of the book as well?........................jean

mrssherlock

« Reply #547 on: March 07, 2010, 11:54:09 AM »
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #548 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »
As written and directed by first-time filmmaker Scott Cooper

Crazy Heart is a 2009 American musical-drama film, written and directed by Scott Cooper and based on the 1987 novel of the same name by Thomas Cobb -- from wikipedia

Everything said on the media indicates that Jeff Bridges is a shoo-in for Best Actor.  I have not seen it, know little about it.  Some friends of mine saw it and are now wondering if they are too old for that kind of movie.    :D

salan

« Reply #549 on: March 07, 2010, 04:44:34 PM »
Oops, I just lost my post.  I think it's floating in cyberspace with other posts I have lost.  Somehow I punched a wrong button.  Most aggravating!!!
I saw the move The Blind Side last week-end.  A real feel good movie.  Well acted, good story line and a sense of humor.  I'm not sure if it was a book, but it is based on a real life story.  Treat yourselves and go see it.
Sally

Babi

« Reply #550 on: March 08, 2010, 08:29:47 AM »
Looks like the media was right, PEDLN.  Jeff Bridges won, and I'm adding the movie to my
queue, along with Blind Side and Up In the Air. I never watch the awards, since
in most cases I haven't seen any of the movies.  But at least they do give me some idea of
which ones I want to order.  :)

Tomereader1

« Reply #551 on: March 08, 2010, 10:58:21 AM »
Well, hubby and I had just watched "The Hurt Locker" yesterday afternoon before the Awards, and I took my morning newspaper and marked the categories/movies I thought would win.  I picked all of the Hurt Locker winners, plus Best Actress/Actor/Movie/Director/Supporting Actress.  I never pick the documentary movies, either foreign or otherwise because I never get to see them.  I did see one however; "The Last Truck, The Closing of a GM Plant"  I saw it a couple months ago, and it was so sad and moving to me, I was sure it would win.  Not!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #552 on: March 08, 2010, 04:30:47 PM »
I want to see Up in the Air too, Babi.  And I've put a bunch of the others on my Netflix queue --  don't know when they'll get watched.  Last night I started watching A Serious Man -- didn't know it had made the top 10 Best Picture nominations.  Actually, I wasn't too impressed, and am still not quite sure what is going on.  It's kind of weird.  Not anything I'd expect to be nominated for Best Picture.  Maybe my opinion will change after watching the entire thing.

marjifay

« Reply #553 on: March 08, 2010, 08:32:40 PM »
Watching the Academy Awards gave me a long list of movies to see.
I'd like also to see the documentaries and the short films.  I hope HBO shows them.

Sorry you didn't care for A SERIOUS MAN, Pedln.  I loved it.  One of the best I've seen in a long time.  Sort of a modern version of the biblical book of Job (Why me, God?),  and so funny.  I loved the answers the rabis gave him.  I'm going to watch it again.

Marj

Babi

« Reply #554 on: March 09, 2010, 08:36:41 AM »
 Thanks for the commentary on "Serious Man", MARJ.  I was wondering what it was about
after PEDLN mentioned it, and there you were with the answer. I might enjoy that one.
  I'm frequently surprised by some of the movies that get nominated, PEDLN.  So many
are selected that I don't care for at all.  But no doubt other people do.  Me, I like broccoli, I
just can't safely eat it anymore.   :-X

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #555 on: March 09, 2010, 09:48:39 AM »
Well, Marj and Babi, movies are sometimes just a matter of mood.  Maybe when I start watching again I'll enjoy A Serious Man.  I'll admit, I was half thinking about my Latin assignment while watching.  I alwaya appreciate your comments anyway.

Phyll

« Reply #556 on: March 09, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »
I gleaned some of the Oscar winners and nominees, too, to put on my Netflix queue.  I ordered Up in the Air and Up...now there are two different types.  Also, The Young Victoria.  I love that type of period movie with the beautiful costuming.  And, I discovered that a brand new Wallace and Gromit movie exists, A Matter of Loaf and Death.  Can't wait for that one to come!  Also, I ordered Helen Mirren in The Queen.  It wasn't up for an Oscar this year (came out in 2006) but I haven't seen it and Mirren is a favorite of mine.
phyllis

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #557 on: March 09, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
I saw "The Queen" and thought it was superb.  I don't think you'll be disappointed, Phyll.

Babi

« Reply #558 on: March 10, 2010, 08:12:12 AM »
PHYLL, what is a 'Wallace and Gromit' movie?  (Here I am, unabashed,
showing my ignorance again.) I'm trying to imagine what a movie entitled
"A Matter of Loaf and Death" would be about. Definitely sounds 'tongue
in cheek'.

Frybabe

« Reply #559 on: March 10, 2010, 08:21:32 AM »
Babi, here is the trailer for "A Matter of Loaf and Death":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwQGXKOx_Yo

I am so happy to hear that there is a new Wallace and Gromit.

"Chicken Run" is similar in cartoon style and just as funny IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBPXVknON-4