Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 865967 times)

marcie

• Administrator
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2009, 03:04:39 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2009, 03:05:32 PM »
Thanks, CubFan. I'll look to see if the Stephanie Barron and Carrie BeBris books are available from the library.

salan

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2009, 04:41:37 PM »
Another Texan here.  I live in the Hill Country (nw of Austin).  It's fun to know where everyone lives.
Sally

peace42

« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2009, 10:17:48 PM »
I love this group as well as the Seniors & Friends discussions..it never ceases to amaze me that I'm "talking" to people from all over the country...all over the world and all with a few touches of the keyboard and some clicks 8) 8)  and it is equally  exciting to share a love of books with like-minded folks....
soon time for bed..and reading my latest from the library first!
take care all and sleep well
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »
I like the Anne Perry about the couple, but not the detective who lose his memory.. Could not get into that.
I just read maybe 100 pages of a Michael Connelly ( who I normally adore) and decided this one was simply not my type of book. It is mostly about an attorney, who reacts like a slime ball to everything.. I like Harry..but not this one.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2009, 08:57:34 AM »
CUBFAN, you did that deliberately!  Pride and Prescience?  North by Northanger?  Get your tongue out of your cheek before it gets a knot in it.
 ::)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2009, 06:03:29 PM »
I am reading a book by John Grisham that is quite different from his usual fare.  It is about a true crime but written like a novel.  "The Innocent Man" tells about some murders in Ada, Oklahoma in the 1980's.  Three young women were murdered in a gruesome way.  Actually two of the bodies were never found.  The police and the OBI (Oaklahome Bureau of Investigation) were under pressure to solve the cases and managed to arrest some innocent men, who were browbeaten into confessing.  In one case, the man told them of a dream he had which the law enforcement types made into a confession.

I am only one-half the way through the book so I don't yet know how it comes out but one defendent is obvious mentally ill, but untreated except for his attorney insisting he take Thorazine to shut him up.....critics called it a chemical lobotomy.

I usually like John Grisham books a great deal, but this book makes it difficult for me to find anyone to relate to.

mrssherlock

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2009, 07:05:10 PM »
Poppy:  I think you have hit on a major difference between novels and true crime.  Real criminals are creeps and jerks.  In the books we get behind the scenes, "hear" thoughts, follow clues, become more than observers.  Yet when it is a real crime there is no mystery, no glamour.  Sleaze, purely sleaze.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2009, 09:57:13 PM »
MARCIE: I love the Stephanie Barron mysteries -- have read them all. This is one case where I really suggest reading them in order. They follow the sequence of Austen's real life, sandwiching fictional characters and plot in with real ones. There are a lot of actual quotes from Austen and much historical information.

You remind me that there are somme by Carrie DeBris that I haven't read. They have a magical or science fiction aspct that not all may like.

Getting Austen's tone is almost impossible: Barron comes close, except for JAs sense of humor. She is heavier than Austen, but her plots and the background are very good.

DeBris' strength IMO is in portraying the relationship between Elizabeth and Darcy after they are married --it is delightful, but I find her plots a little strange.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2009, 10:04:03 PM »
Reading books about the 20th century, we have no difficulty destinguishing between one set in 1930 and one set in 1990. But it's harder for us in the 19th century. Jane Austen lived and wrote in the beginning of the century. Anne Perry has placed her two series in different periods. The Monk series takes place in the 1860s. Only the Pitt series is Victorian -- at the end of the century.

Thus those three series span almost 100 years in England. Because it's a different society, (or lack of skill of the writers) we don't pick up the differences

Steph

« Reply #130 on: October 16, 2009, 08:06:37 AM »
Yes, I find the same thing in America fiction as well. The most amazing part is that if you travel and visit historic areas in the US in real life, you discover the most amazing differences when you travel west. The settlement of the the west makes life there a lot different from life in the east. Things taken for granted in the east were unheard of until much later. After TV got universal, the land has become more uniform, but even in the late 50s, I remember going to a convention of teens in Oklahoma and discovering to my amusement that some teens from Wyoming and Colorado had telephones that cranked and had a live operator to connect them. By then we had dialed numbers in the east..

Babi

« Reply #131 on: October 16, 2009, 08:43:52 AM »
 A really good point, JACKIE. I think we sometimes forget that there is
no 'glamour' in real crime.  And the weakest point in most crime series is
the totally unrealistic and improbable last scene where the criminal blurts
out a full confession, when anyone not totally stupid would have shut their
mouths.

STEPH, I remember going house-hunting when we first moved to California.
The realtor proudly showed us an attic fan, and obviously expected us to
be awed. We had an attic fan in our home in Texas when I was a girl and
I was not at all impressed. The poor man was quite crestfallen.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #132 on: October 16, 2009, 11:26:09 AM »
Thanks, JoanK, for the information and recommendations about the Jane Austen mysteries. It looks like my public library has many of the titles. Those are great points about historical details in books.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #133 on: October 16, 2009, 09:13:33 PM »
My F2F mystery group is reading a book by Burke called Rain Man. I started it, but it is so depressing, I think for the first time, I just won't read it. Everyone in it is either seriously depressed or gets mindlessly slaughtered. there's no mystery about who did it, just which higher-ups ordered it. Enough.

Frybabe

« Reply #134 on: October 16, 2009, 09:25:02 PM »
I just got my hands on Cynthia Baxter's Putting on the Dog. Looking forward to reading it.

Babi

« Reply #135 on: October 17, 2009, 08:40:50 AM »
I finally picked up Larsson's "The Girl With the Golden Tattoo".  I read the first
page at the library and decided to read it.  It's in a stack, tho', and at least one
other book must take precedence, but I'll get there. It's been getting good
recommendations over in RATW.

Steph

« Reply #136 on: October 17, 2009, 09:31:48 AM »
I like Baxters other series. Murder Packs a Suitcase. Great Fun..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #137 on: October 17, 2009, 05:53:13 PM »
Well, I returned the Burke to the library. They didn't have any Baxters. Boo hoo. But I got all funny ones, to counteract the Burke.

peace42

« Reply #138 on: October 17, 2009, 11:35:28 PM »
just finished Company Man by  Joseph Finder - corporate shenanigans - murder - widower w/2 kids - shady corporate security guy - black female detective partnered with tough prejudiced detective - schizo man with daughter..is she who we think she is? - wow, this stuff made for a really good book…just too bad this wasn’t it! Read the large print version which was just over 800 pages..very, very long - another formula  book and quite predictable with a happy ever after ending...nite all, heading for bed with a mystery by Philip Margolin...have read him before so hopefully this will be a non-formula book! sleep well and have good dreams

Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Babi

« Reply #139 on: October 18, 2009, 10:07:23 AM »
  We do come to recognize those formulas, don't we?  I picked out the
murderer in a recent show, just because he came into the police station
with some 'helpful' data and was reluctant to leave.  No other reason for
that particular scene...it didn't contribute to the story line...so why was he
there?  Aha...it was a subtle(?)  hint! He's the villain.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #140 on: October 18, 2009, 02:47:57 PM »
It was I who mentioned Inspector Alvarez a while ago because we'd just come back from Mallorca and I was enjoying him.  But a little goes a long way I think.  Having read a few they are getting a bit repetitive. And I agree if he really drank that much brandy every day he wouldn't be able to find his way home!

I also mentioned The Pyramid --the new Wallander book which I am now reading and enjoying--in fact I am rationing myself because I don't want it to end.  There aren't going to be any more.   One thing I thought was interesting is that the author says he devised the series to comment on the deterioration of the social mileau in Sweden.  That's what Sjowall and Wahloo said about their series written in the 60s!  I would say the social mileau in Sweden then and now is a lot less violent that here and many other places too.

I listened to An Innocent Man (Grisham) during a long drive recently.  I wouldn't have been able to read it through I don't think--lots of rather boring detail.  But what a story!  I looked it up on google afterwards and read thru the web site of the DA who you come to hate for his corruption in the book.  I guess maybe Grisham went a bit over the top but still its very scarey to think what can happen to you if you're arrested and have no money and no decent lawyer.

mrssherlock

« Reply #141 on: October 18, 2009, 03:05:11 PM »
Ginny mentioned tne annual Bouchercon, named for Anthony Boucher who edited and wrote both crime and science fiction.  SYKM ha released the list of award winners:  http://us.mg1.mail.yahoo.com/dc/launch?.gx=0&.rand=04aj5pkqormoh

Some familiar names. several of us have read or are reading The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson.  Davidm Liss' the Whiskey Rebels was mentioned here, too.  Other authors we have commented on are Louise Penny, Arnaldur Indridason, Michael Connelly, Lisas Lutz, Rhys Bowen.  There are many new names to check out, too.  When a single title pops up on more than one list I try to read that book.  There can be treasures to be found there.  Enjoy
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #142 on: October 18, 2009, 03:22:39 PM »
Jackie: your link sent me into the Yahoo mail sign-in page. I don't think you can link to your mail.

But that sounds interesting. A lot of old favorites, and some new ones too.

Steph

« Reply #143 on: October 18, 2009, 03:28:55 PM »
Oh,, I do remember those Swedish writers and read every single book of theirs. I loved them and then they simply stopped writing. Very annoying indeed.
There is a convention called Boucheron.. He was really a fine fine editor and a lot of sci fi writers regarded him as key to their success.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #144 on: October 18, 2009, 03:40:04 PM »
They stopped writing because he (Wahloo) died.  Such a shame.  They are my all time favorite mysteries.  Back in the late 80s you couldn't find them anyplace and that was when I was collecting them.  Finally I acquired all 10.  Now they are readily available again.  I have read and re-read them and I guess that's the biggest compliment I can pay the series.  How many mysteries does one reread several times?  (And I am saving them up to read again!!)

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #145 on: October 18, 2009, 04:37:02 PM »
I finally couldn't finish Grisham's "The innocent man".  I gave up after reading about one-half of it.  It was depressing.  It has pictures of everyone involved in the center of the book.

I am now reading "The Simple Truth" by David Baldacci.  It is much more satisfying to read.

mrssherlock

« Reply #146 on: October 18, 2009, 04:53:53 PM »
Here is the site for Stop You're Killing Me Awards List:  http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #147 on: October 18, 2009, 05:52:02 PM »
I had no idea there were so many awards. I'd only heard about half of them.

I checked out the Agatha, Anthony, and Edgare awards. Glad Penny won one. And Larrson. Box won the Edgar this year, and I'm ashamed to say I've never read him. Have any of you? What are the books like?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #148 on: October 18, 2009, 05:59:56 PM »
I ordered his first book from Amazom.

In looking for him, I discovered that Gore Vidal wrote 3 mysteries under the name of Edgar Box. Did you all know that?

mrssherlock

« Reply #149 on: October 18, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »
Box is one author I always read.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/c-j-box/  He writes a series and also stand alones. 
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #150 on: October 19, 2009, 12:40:19 AM »
Has anyone heard of or read any books by Mike Silverstri? A friend who happens to have known him way back when found out he was writing novels and picked up his Bark of the Dog from his Lazy Dog series (four books so far). She hasn't read it yet. He is a computer programmer or analyst and so is his protagonist. The dog is based somewhat on his own. He is local to the Harrisburg area. The name is familiar but I can't place from where. It looks like he has written some SciFi too.

Steph

« Reply #151 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:33 AM »
Is that C.J. Box?? I have seen books from that author. Never read any..

Babi

« Reply #152 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
With a strong recommendation like that, DANA, I'll have to add Wahloo to
my book list.
  I see the Bouchercon hosted the Anthony Awards...and the Larsson book
was on both the Best Mystery and Best First Mystery lists; in first place
on the latter. By happy chance "The Girl With the Golden Tattoo" is in my
book stack now, waiting to be read.
  Haven't heard of a Mike Silverstri, Frybabe.  Can't find him in Fantastic Fiction
either.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #153 on: October 19, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Neither have I, but he sounds interesting. Let us know what you think.

I'm behind as always with new books. Just found out that Susan Conant, who writes books about the dog show world, is collaborating with her daughter on a new series(to me -- not so new, there are four books out already). I got the forst one from the library --"Steamed" by Conant and Page. Nothing to do with animals. The detective is a young single woman who is a foodie, and it has more about food and her love life than the mystery. Mediocre so far -- I'll let you know when I finish it.

Frybabe

« Reply #154 on: October 19, 2009, 07:12:33 PM »
Re Mike Silvestri: I rather suspected no one has heard of him. I am not planning to read his books, but if my friend gets around to reading her copy she will give me her opinion. Like the author (and protagonist, also named Mike) she is a computer person. Amazon has a few customer reviews up but all except one are from this area (and therefore suspect IMO). The one not from this area found Bark of the Dog boring.

If I were brave enough to go into downtown Harrisburg at night I would consider checking him out at his upcoming lecture at the Midtown Scholar Bookstore on Nov. 21st where he will be doing a lecture on Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, a book that made quite an impression on me years ago. I rather suspect the lecture will be more a self promotion piece than a strict lecture about Bradbury's book. He has titled his lecture I Blame Ray Bradbury.

retired

« Reply #155 on: October 19, 2009, 09:06:44 PM »
Steph:
Michael Connolly is also one of my favorite mystery writers . Did you read his recent one the Brass Verdict ? In this mystery Harry Boush the Homocide detective meets The Lincoln lawyer and together try to solve a Homocide .  It certainly held my attention .
His earlier mystery The Lincoln Lawyer I slso enjoyed .
The reader is left with the impression of how Homocide detectives view lawyers .
Particularly, defense lawyers .

Other favorites of mine are Medical thrillers /mysteries .  Among my favorite authors here are Michael Palmer and Robin Cook .

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #156 on: October 19, 2009, 09:27:18 PM »
Hi, retired. I'll have to check out Sylvestri. What (who) is The Lincoln Lawyer"?

I can see why homocide detectives wouldn't like defense lawyers. They must see them as the people get the perps off free after all the work of capturing them.

My daughter-the-doctor loves medical mysteries, as long as they are accurate. I admit, I could have never have been a doctor: the vivid description of body parts makes me feel sick.

Babi

« Reply #157 on: October 20, 2009, 08:08:15 AM »
 I've always found the medical aspects of a story interesting, but then I studied
anatomy and physiology as part of my medical records degree.  I even watched
2 or 3 surgeries with fascination.  I am repelled, however, by the excessively
horrid things the CSI series insist on displaying.  I look away during those scenes.  Apparently that sort of thing appeals to many viewers, since it seems
to be getting worse.  Nothing new, really.  Think of the public fascination for
grisly, violent events in ancient Rome. Ugh.

Steph

« Reply #158 on: October 20, 2009, 08:33:52 AM »
As much as I love Michael
Connelly, I really did not like the two featuring the lawyer. Just could not get interested in him.
A good friend of mine wrote a series of funny essays some years ago.
She nagged all of her friends to write in and put a review on Amazon. We all did and she sold a respectable amount of books.. But truly they were funny and quite true if you knew Dee.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2009, 02:39:03 PM »
I can't remember who recommended Rose Conner, but thanks. Just finished "Moment of Sanity, and enjoyed it thoroughly, in spite of a wildly improbable solution. A Cape Cod version of Lisa Scottelene, with her woman lawyuer and amusing and interesting courtroom scenes, mixed with a truly tragic story.

The inventiveness of that book makes me realize the lack of inventiveness in Conant and Park's book, steamed. (sorry: I called Conant's daughter Page not Park in the last post). Although there is a very clever clue at the end, most of the book is a recital of the protagonist's dating life, (complete with wardrobe, makeup, hairstyles etc.) and gourmet restaurant dishes.

But "write what you know", and this is what the author knows. In spite of this, to my surprise I found that by the end I'd been drawn into the writer's world and ready to read another book. So the jury's still out.