Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 866493 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #6840 on: October 30, 2014, 12:54:15 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have two ipads - 1st and 2nd generations - and have 2 different kinds of "holders" for them. One just covers the back of the ipad and has a "stand" so i don't have to hold it at all. The second is a padded complete cover designed so i can prop the ipad in groves in the cover, again leaving my hands free. I'm sure there are a dozen different designs and costs for other ipad holders.

I can set either one on the broad arm of my chair or on the table next to my bed and read or listen while i crochet, knit, or "write" as i'm doing now. Or i can listen with or without earbuds and i'm close enough to the outlet that i don't have to use up the charge. No hand pain is involved.

I still prefer holding a book, especially in bed, but i do use the ipad for about one out of five book readings.

Jean

Tomereader1

« Reply #6841 on: October 30, 2014, 02:21:01 PM »
I'm reading a really terrifying book that I got free on my Kindle.  It's not a murder mystery, but something that could actually be perpetrated on a certain segment of the population: Seniors.
The title is "The Planner" by Alexandra Swann.  I can't say whether it is available other than via Ebook on Kindle (it was free at the time!).  I think it's $2.99 now, below is how Amazon describes it:

Once a top-producing real estate agent with a successful business and a beautiful home, Kris Mitchell is a victim of the economic downturn. She has lost her home to foreclosure, and her long-time boyfriend has married someone else. Then, just when she has almost given up hope for a better future, an opportunity presents itself for her to become a Level 1 Planner for a newly created federal agency that will implement the Retire America Act of 2013.

After persuading her own aging parents to sign over all of their assets, Kris learns that the government’s plan to confiscate the wealth and property of America’s retirees in exchange for lifelong care in the Smart Seniors community has some serious downsides. As she relinquishes more and more personal freedom to hold onto her job, she discovers what it means to trade liberty for a steady government paycheck.

Makes the old saying "I'm with the Government and I'm here to help you" bring chills and goosebumps!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6842 on: October 30, 2014, 05:00:16 PM »
FRY: no, I haven't read the Stabenov, but I will. Here it is (scroll down to get a description of the book, click on the author to get a complete list of published and upcoming books).

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/dana-stabenow/everything-under-the-heavens.htm

In her previous books, her strength was the Alaskan background, including inclusion of real people as minor characters. I'm curious to see  how she does in an historical setting.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6843 on: October 30, 2014, 05:02:28 PM »
Let us know how you like Donna Leon, FRY.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6844 on: October 30, 2014, 05:06:07 PM »
JEAN AND TOME: missed your posts. That does sound terrifying!

Steph

« Reply #6845 on: October 31, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
My fire is light, my ipad ( original) is quite heavy.. I love real b ooks are well. Sometimes it is just easier to use the Kindle, etc. I travel with both of them.. Email is easier on myIPAD and books on the Kindle..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

marjifay

« Reply #6846 on: October 31, 2014, 10:01:48 AM »
Tomereader, that book you mentioned, The Planner, sounds like something a member of the Tea Party would write to scare others of that ilk.  Social Security, Medicare, and Obamacare scares the h... out of them.  LOL

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

MaryPage

« Reply #6847 on: October 31, 2014, 02:11:53 PM »
That was my first reaction, as well.  As one who is living on the monthly paycheck of a retired federal government servant, I am beyond grateful for the old age rewards for years and years of keeping my nose to the grindstone.  And, believe you me, I ain't rich and the end of the month finds me at the bottom of the barrel and looking forward eagerly to the first of the month!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6848 on: October 31, 2014, 04:46:04 PM »
Yep, Mary Page, as another retired Government servant, I know exactly what you mean. And our children won't even have what we do.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6849 on: October 31, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »
I like "Legal Beagles." I've just discovered the Rachel Gold books by Michael Kahn.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/k/michael-a-kahn/

But beware -- her sidekick is a Jewish lawyer with a mouth like a sewer.

Steph

« Reply #6850 on: November 01, 2014, 08:15:47 AM »
Hmm, I seem to think the name is something that I remember.. Probably read at least one. Still kindling along with
Thrones , Dominions.. No question in my mind, that she telegraphed the murdered, but it is still good.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6851 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:56 PM »
I have to modify my recommendation of Michael Kuhn's series. Some of the books get too sexually graphic for me. I think it's the earliest ones, the later ones seem to have gotten away from that.

Frybabe

« Reply #6852 on: November 03, 2014, 03:31:54 PM »
I want to thank those who have mentioned Donna Leon and her Guido Brunetti series. What a delight to read. I had to laugh at the description of Brunetti's superior. He sounds so much like the character that plays the captain in the Endeavor series. Since I am almost done with #1, I have put a hold on the next one.

Steph

« Reply #6853 on: November 04, 2014, 07:32:18 AM »
I finished  Thrones, Dominions and am now on Attenbury Emeralds. Jill does capture the essence of Peter, Bunter and Harriet..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6854 on: November 04, 2014, 02:58:05 PM »
FRY: isn't it a delight to discover a new author, and know they have loads of books waiting for you.

I always have to sit on my hands to keep  me from reading them all at once. I know from bitter experience that no matter how good they are, I'll get tired of them after three books unless I dilute them with other authors. in between.

Frybabe

« Reply #6855 on: November 04, 2014, 04:29:35 PM »
My now read is The Lost Empress. It's the latest Jefferson Tayte genealogical mystery. Waiting at the library for me to pick up is The Baker Street letters by Michael Robertson.

Steph

« Reply #6856 on: November 05, 2014, 07:54:22 AM »
I found a copy of the Baker Street Letters at a book sale and have it in my tbr pile, which is truly out of hand.

Frybabe

« Reply #6857 on: November 05, 2014, 08:22:42 AM »
 ;D  Likewise, Steph, likewise.

marjifay

« Reply #6858 on: November 05, 2014, 11:04:32 AM »
I just put Donna Leon's first book of the series on my TBR list.  Thanks to those of you who recommended this series.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6859 on: November 05, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »
I love the Baker Street Letters series. FF says that it's been optioned by Warner Brothers for television. It would make a great TV series, but surely should be done in England.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/michael-robertson/

Frybabe

« Reply #6860 on: November 05, 2014, 02:39:26 PM »
I didn't know it was a series, JoanK.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6861 on: November 05, 2014, 02:54:42 PM »
t's not. A movie company has bought the rights. IF they make a series, it will take a while before we see it.

Steph

« Reply #6862 on: November 06, 2014, 03:55:33 PM »
This has been a stupid week, but dragged out the newest Donna Andrews. Love all of the animals and people. Not much plot but great fun

marjifay

« Reply #6863 on: November 07, 2014, 09:42:58 AM »
For Steph and others who, like me, really enjoy Charles Finch's Charles Lenox mystery series:

Finch has a new book in the series coming out November 11, THE LAWS OF MURDER. The Amazon book description says, "a friend, a member of Scotland Yard, is shot near Regent’s Park.  As Lenox begins to parse the peculiar details of the death – an unlaced boot, a days-old wound, an untraceable luggage ticket – he realizes that the incident may lead him into grave personal danger, beyond which lies a terrible truth."

Yum!
Marj

MaryPage

« Reply #6864 on: November 07, 2014, 01:03:31 PM »
I like those, too;  I truly do.  So relaxing and so much fun.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6865 on: November 07, 2014, 01:29:07 PM »
I just finished Fern Michael's Hocus Pocus, one of the "sisterhood" mysteries of women avengers. I had read 2 before and liked them.

This one didn't work for me. The story and writing seemed disjointed and incredible. I don't mind some amazing tricks and technology masterpieces to help characters and stories along, but this was way over the top of believability.

I was very disappointed because i like the concept of harmed women working together with some men to get their revenge on their predators.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #6866 on: November 08, 2014, 06:20:46 AM »
I just finished The Lost Empress. It was just so-so, compared to his others, IMO. It may be because I just wasn't real interested in reading about a WWI spy. Also, I had figured out two of the characters before the ending. I do like the Jefferson Tayte character. He seems geekish, a bit pudgy with a fondness for Hershey's Miniatures, often uncomfortable with people (especially women), a fear of flying, and always with his briefcase either by his feet or on his lap.

Next is Donna Leon's, Death in a Strange Country. Already I am hooked on the story. There is a map of Venice at the beginning of the book, but so far I am having trouble finding any of the mentioned places. I'll have to get a hold of a map of Venice that is easier to read and more detailed.  I am leaving Baker Street Letters for after.

Steph

« Reply #6867 on: November 08, 2014, 08:44:26 AM »
A new Finch.. Hooray for  us. Just what I need. Just got my copy of Alice.. the biography of Alice Roosevelt.. Someone had recommended it and I had put it on my book swap wish list.. Huge book incidentally.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6868 on: November 09, 2014, 03:50:43 PM »
Here is Fern Michaels

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/fern-michaels/

My she's written a lot!

In general, I don't like private vengeance, although there have certainly been times I've felt like it. That way lies chaos: humans have worked for thousands of years to find a legal system that will replace the endless cycle of vengeance and counter vengeance that causes such misery. Just look at Israel and the Middle East for a counter example.

Frybabe

« Reply #6869 on: November 09, 2014, 04:26:25 PM »
Fern Michaels is another popular writer in my area.

Steph

« Reply #6870 on: November 10, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
Just started a new book and author ( first book).. Playing Dead.. by Julia Heaberlin.  30 pages in and I am hooked..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6871 on: November 10, 2014, 04:49:30 PM »

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6872 on: November 10, 2014, 04:58:09 PM »
Just started the new Hercule Poirot mystery, The Monogram Murders" by Sophie Hannah.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/sophie-hannah/monogram-murders.htm

It's not Agatha Christie. The social class stereotyping is gone (I, for one, don't miss it) and the narrator (a young policeman) is suffering from psychological angst (can you imagine Christie writing about that?), but not enough to get in the way of what looks like a good plot. I'll let you know.

mabel1015j

« Reply #6873 on: November 10, 2014, 11:45:07 PM »
I agree about personal vendettas, Joan, but some fictitious vengeance is fun. 

;D

Steph

« Reply #6874 on: November 11, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
Playing Dead is a typical first novel.. Could have stood a bit more coherence, but it is good indeed and I see a bright future for her.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #6875 on: November 11, 2014, 12:59:17 PM »
Have y'all discussed or has anyone read the D.I.Banks mysteries - I wondered how closely the PBS series followed the books - I understand the books go back to the late 1980s with nearly every years since an additional story has been published adding to the list.  
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

MaryPage

« Reply #6876 on: November 11, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
Yes, Barbara, I have patiently purchased every single Peter Robinson (the author) book every year when a new one comes out in paperback, because once years ago I read a rave review of him.  Like so many other books I buy and put on my shelves, the Robinsons are each carefully numbered on the outside with my stickers, so that I can both keep them in proper order on those shelves and know which order to read them in.  I must confess, with so much on hand to read, I completely neglected Robinson until those films began to appear on PBS.  By the way, the DCI Banks in the films does not look AT ALL like the one portrayed in the book, but I have become quite used to and fond of him.  Anyway, starting with my liking the films, I started reading the actual books, and I have now completed NINE (9) of them and have number ten (In A Dry Season) ready and waiting on a bedside stack.  Still, there is so much ELSE waiting its turn to be picked up and read, that lord only knows when I will finish the series.  I have TWENTY (20) books, so far, and yes, he is still writing.  They are quite good.  Not outstanding, like my darling Josephine Tey;  but quite engrossing and I am very fond of DCI BANKS!
Oh, and to answer your question, the films DO follow the books quite closely.  Sometimes they have to tweek them a tad, but all filming has to do that.

Frybabe

« Reply #6877 on: November 11, 2014, 02:19:22 PM »
I've just finished Donna Leon's Death in a Strange Country. Now I'm depressed. Such corruption and collusion in politics and government, threats, coverups, evidence disappearing, and a death purposely attributed to something other than murder, a murder purposely attributed to someone other than the real killer, the rich and powerful thwarting and threatening the lowly police officers and for the most part getting away with it. I guess I just like a good outcome.

Just as disturbing were the several paragraphs throughout the book presenting an ongoing resentment of Americans and the presence of American bases in Italy. Since the author has lived in Italy for 25 years and taught at an American base for 18 years, I assume she has run up against such perceptions and attitudes about Americans (not to mention American attitudes toward Europeans) over the years.

Now on to The Baker Street Letters.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6878 on: November 11, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
What is the name of the TV series? I cant seem to think if I know it or not?
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/peter-robinson/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6879 on: November 11, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »
Ordered a free sample of the second DCI Banks book on my kindle. (It's cheaper than the first).

Mary Page: you might try to con your friends and family into getting together to buy you a kindle for Christmas like I did a  few years ago. You can get free a sample (usually the first three chapters) of any book that interests you. I make a rule that I won't actually buy the book until I've finished reading the sample. So my TBR list is free (it currently contains 80 mysteries and about an equal number of other books. And I add to it much faster than I can read.)