Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 482947 times)

JoanK

• BooksDL
Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #8440 on: April 20, 2017, 02:59:35 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leader:    JoanK   

Some of farjeon's books are 99 cents on kindle, so I bought one to try.

Frybabe

« Reply #8441 on: April 20, 2017, 04:04:22 PM »
Like father, like son. Like his father, J. Jefferson was also a prodigious writer of crime and mysteries. He may even have surpassed his father in the number of books he wrote. According to Wikipedia, Dorothy Sayers admired his work. Some of his books have been reissued within the last four years. It might be fun to compare writing style between father and son.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8442 on: April 21, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
Here he is: J. Jefferson Farjeon

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/f/j.-jefferson-farjeon/

I started a book by his father. I like the leisurely, wry tone, but it looks like it will take a while for the plot to develop.

Life was much slower back then! A young friend was complaining to me about how slow the sport of baseball is, and I hear they are looking for ways to speed it up. Listening to games always reminds me of my childhood: lazy summer afternoons, drinking lemonade and listening to "the game" on the radio.

Frybabe

« Reply #8443 on: April 22, 2017, 05:25:46 AM »
Well, JoanK, I don't remember all those commercials that they've added to the televised game. They make the game seem slower if not actually making them slower. I can imagine some game official (and this goes for football too) telling the teams to slow things down so that the advertisers can get all their commercials aired. I used to watch baseball, but it got too slow. Maybe it is us that speeded up rather than the game slowing down.

I agree with your assessment of the plot being slow. Samuel Boyd...[/] is beginning to make me think, "get on with it, for heaven's sake". The conversation always seems to "beat around the bush", lots of allusions to things, but nothing direct, crucial bits of information not being said. It must be a Victorian thing. Very immodest or impolite to be direct, especially in matters of the heart. It's a wonder that more things were not misunderstood if they spoke the way they wrote.

Frybabe

« Reply #8444 on: April 25, 2017, 08:24:03 AM »
I just finished reading a book (The Bookman's Tale by Charles Lovett) which is about an Antiquarian bookseller who is trying to track down a Victorian watercolor artist who painted a portrait of a woman who looks like his dead wife. He wants to know who the artist is and how his wife (for whom he is still grieving) came to be painted 100 years before she lived. Wrapped up in all of this is another mystery, which becomes the prime focus, in which a supposed original copy of a book in which Shakespeare wrote notes in the margins having used it as a basis for A Winter's Tale. Both are intertwined. There is also a general overview of restoration of books and bookbinding.

The scenes are mostly in North Carolina and England (Kingham, where the author lives part of the year). Charlie Lovett is himself an avid book collector and a member of Grolier's Club which is mentioned n the book. I had never heard of the club before, only knowing Grolier as a publisher of encyclopedias. Their Book of Knowledge set was a favorite of mine when I was young, as was the accompanying set, Lands and Peoples. The Grolier's Club:  http://www.grolierclub.org/