Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 864343 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #8480 on: July 20, 2017, 01:58:34 PM »
Thanks for directing me to Kellerman's Wikipedia page. That was interesting. My gosh a whole family of writers and what an interesting background they have. I'm looking forward to more of their books.

Jean

hats

« Reply #8481 on: July 20, 2017, 10:34:47 PM »
Glad to know where to start. Sometimes don't know whether to start at the end of a series or the beginning of a series.

Frybabe

« Reply #8482 on: August 13, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Now reading Dead Virgins, the first of the India Sommers Mystery series, by K. M. Ashman. The chapters flip back and forth from 2010 to 64AD. The story is interesting but not great. The author spends some time explaining the historical background of the goddess Isis and her connection (incarnation?) to Vesta. I am puzzled that the author says the Isis myth, along with Set and Horus came originally from the Black Sea area, not Egypt. Huh? Ok, I need to research that. Literary license or new research findings? The main female character is a librarian and amateur historian.
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/a/kevin-ashman/dead-virgins.htm

Also, I've begun reading a new book called Midnight at the Bright Ideas Bookstore by Matthew Sullivan. It is okay, but after five chapters, I still haven't warmed up to characters.The author worked in several bookstores and is married to a librarian. http://www.matthewjsullivan.com/books.html

Frybabe

« Reply #8483 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »
I've finished with both books I mentioned in the previous post. They turned out pretty good. I hope to read more of the India Summers series in the future, but for now I am going back to a SciFi and a non-fiction.

Frybabe

« Reply #8484 on: August 19, 2017, 07:24:31 AM »
Dan Brown is coming out with another book in October called Origin. http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/554852/origin-by-dan-brown/?aid=randohouseinc22722-20&ref=PRH5F9D2235F179&linkid=PRH5F9D2235F179&cdi=3060C55370954887E0534FD66B0A20B0&template_id=6956  The description calls it "stunningly inventive". That phrase can be taken two ways. Does it mean really, really good, or is it a marketing phrase for something not as good as one would hope (but they can't say anything bad because they are trying to sell it)? The really interesting thing I see in the description is that it is set mostly in Barcelona. Barcelona is getting a lot of book play lately. Sad that they also had to deal with a terrorist attack this week. 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8485 on: August 19, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
I quit reading Dan Brown after reading his 2nd book.  IMHO, he uses a formula to write the books.
I felt I was reading the same story each time!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Frybabe

« Reply #8486 on: August 19, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »
I saw the Da Vinci Code movie, but didn't read the book. I read Angels and Demons (and saw the movie) but didn't care for it. I have had Inferno for more than a year, but haven't read it. All in all, I think I like several of the Steve Berry books I've read better.

Tomereader1

« Reply #8487 on: August 19, 2017, 04:34:21 PM »
I loved DaVinci Code; hated Angels &Demons.  Have Inferno in my TBR stack but haven't opened it yet. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8488 on: August 26, 2017, 11:28:17 AM »
Anne Hillerman's third Chee and Leaphorn series is just out "Song of the Lion".  I just got the online Kindle version and am looking forward to settling down for a good read.  Anne is just as good a writer as her dad and I'm glad she has continued with the series.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #8489 on: August 26, 2017, 06:30:17 PM »
Goodness.  I didn't even realize the series continued.  I'll have to get hold of them.  Thanks, FlaJean.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8490 on: October 19, 2017, 06:58:36 PM »
Finding my way back in with a new device.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8491 on: October 19, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »
Trying to read the new Crombie. It,a bogged down with too many continuing characters and situations.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8492 on: October 21, 2017, 12:07:56 PM »
Glad to see you back posting, Joan.  I was beginning to wonder if there were no mystery readers left.  My husband bought the whole list of the Miss Seaton series for the iPad and I have been working my way through gradually.  They are a fun change of pace but like to read other books in between.

nlhome

« Reply #8493 on: October 22, 2017, 11:55:22 AM »
I've been reading mystery short stories lately, A Moment on the Edge : 100 Years of Crime Stories by Women edited by Elizabeth George. Many were rereads, but I enjoyed this book. Now I am reading A Medal for Murder, by Frances Brody. I had read Dying in the Wool earlier and it kept my interest. This one also keeps my interest, but life keeps getting in the way of finishing it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8494 on: October 25, 2017, 07:18:05 PM »
Lost a post. See if this one flies.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8495 on: October 25, 2017, 07:22:10 PM »
Ah. I see what I did wrong. I m most!y reading books from Amazon unlimited. Don't know if they are generally. Aavailable..

nlhome

« Reply #8496 on: October 28, 2017, 12:50:29 PM »
JoanK, I don't read on line, so don't know what is available. I prefer the library, because I want less clutter in my life, but I have many friends and we exchange books, so there is this pile that is waiting for me. Right now I prefer to escape into books, read them for enjoyment and for challenge to puzzle out things in mysteries. Nothing too deep.

One mystery that puzzles me is why so few people are discussing on this site lately. I have noticed this on one other site I belong to, and I don't know if it's a sign of the times, the profusion of books out now, or maybe people are pulling into themselves. Not sure. That group has a lot of younger people in, so it's not the aging out that a senior group experiences.

Frybabe

« Reply #8497 on: October 28, 2017, 04:32:21 PM »
Glad to see somone posting this afternoon. Everybody, including me, seems to have taken a rest. I am not reading any mysteries at the momemt. The short story I am reading, though, could qualify as a SciFi detective story. I'll be posting the link over on the SciFi short story discussion.

bellamarie

« Reply #8498 on: October 28, 2017, 04:57:12 PM »
Frybabe,  I am so disappointed in the lack of activity and interests in our SenioLearn.  I fear we are coming to an end.  I peeked in the other topics and just as little activity.  Our book, Barchester Towers has gone to just the moderator Barb, and myself.  It’s difficult to have a discussion with one other person.  I post and feel like I am talking to myself.  So sad to see so little interest any more. 

:-[ :-\ :'(
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

Frybabe

« Reply #8499 on: October 28, 2017, 05:46:34 PM »
Bellamarie, you are not alone. While the Latin classes have been going gangbusters, the rest of the site is in the doldrums. While we have lost some people, we haven't added many. I have tried, for several years to encourage our Latin enrollees to also come and join our other discussions. I think only one or two have done so. I have also mentioned SeniorLearn to my sister and others that I meet that show an interest, but none of those took me up on it.

I tried GoodReads, but didn't like it, and I don't do Facebook, Twitter of any of those social media websites. I really do like the bulletin board format we have here and on SeniorsandFriends.

As far as Barchester Towers is concerned. It wasn't what I expected. I have no interest, at this time, to delve into church doings.

nlhome

« Reply #8500 on: October 28, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »
I looked at the Barchester Towers book, actually ordered it through the library, but I didn't feel up to a deep discussion.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8501 on: October 29, 2017, 01:16:03 AM »
It.,a my fault this site is dead. I stopped posting on Seniornet for a while.I,mms trying to get back to it. but still struggling with my new device.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8502 on: October 29, 2017, 01:22:59 AM »
With my library app, I got a new Charles Todd, "Racing the War." I assume it's about the nurse in WW1.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8503 on: October 29, 2017, 01:25:06 AM »
Typing is trickier on this. Please excuse the,typos.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8504 on: October 29, 2017, 12:29:51 PM »
I’ve been enjoying a series by Patricia McLinn about an investigator reporter who was at the top of her profession until her divorce to an exec at the same network.  He has tried to ruin her career but she has found new life and friends in a small Wyoming town.  The series are McLinn’s “caught dead in Wyoming” series and I just finished the 6th and newest book “back Story”.  It is a cozy but is interesting and moves right along.  We (husband and I) started the series with a free book for the iPad from BookBub.  Then have been buying the rest.

I never thought I would enjoy reading on the iPad, but I do.  I like being able to adjust the brightness and print.  Since Larry and I both have iPads we can read the same books at the same time, if we want.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8505 on: October 29, 2017, 06:50:26 PM »
That sounds interesting.I'll look for it.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8506 on: October 29, 2017, 07:02:53 PM »
The library doesn,t haveit.Got a sample of book 2 from Amazon. (Couldn't find book 1).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8507 on: November 05, 2017, 05:04:07 PM »
I found book 1, and I like it. Especially since he's not has the same name as my granddog.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8508 on: November 05, 2017, 05:11:09 PM »
Reading a funny sci to mystery. We Lost the coffee".It takes place in year 2045 in England. They have had a,revolution, gotten rid of the Royals, and declared,a,republic, but rogue rivals are planning a counter revolution. Meanwhile, she to the Coffee Wars, Engalannd is out of coffe, and people are,desaparate, steaLing from anyone who has,a,stash. The government stockpile has been stolen.
Qw

Frybabe

« Reply #8509 on: November 07, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
Now reading Tyler Dilts' A King of Infinite Space. The main character is likeable, the story is good. I haven't figured out how the title fits with the story yet. Dilts also wrote A Cold and Broken Hallelujah which is the second in the Long Beach Homicide series. I plan on reading that one too.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8510 on: November 07, 2017, 07:24:12 PM »
Is that Long Beach, New Jersey?

Read an odd mystery Hornswagled. The detective is a mother of twelve,including a nursing baby,in 1912. No running water etc. In her "spare time" she solves mysteries. I was exhausted by the end.

Frybabe

« Reply #8511 on: November 08, 2017, 05:19:23 AM »
Joan, the Long Beach Homicide series is set in Long Beach, California. I did discover where the title fits in. It is from a passage in Hamlet spoken by Hamlet to Rosenkrantz and Guildenstern. Essentially he remarks that he would be the king of infinite space if not for his bad dreams.

I stand corrected; A Cold and Broken Hallelujah not the second in the series, it is the third. Guess I will have to download the second, the name of which escapes me at the moment (something with Pain in the title).

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8512 on: November 08, 2017, 07:06:06 AM »
I am reading The Footprints of God by Greg Iles.  Interesting book but definitely not my usual mysteries.  Kind of off the wall stuff.  I used to read Greg Iles often but this one is not fitting my remembrance of his books.  Maybe I have him confused with another author.😋😋😋
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8513 on: November 08, 2017, 07:45:41 PM »
Annie, 
The title is interesting. What's it about?

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #8514 on: November 09, 2017, 01:11:40 PM »
Now that I am halfway through the book, I see that I should have mentioned it over in the Sci-fi folder.  I can’t describe it but it’s what I guess might be called mild Sci-fi. And can’t I put it down!
Very different reading. Was up til midnight reading it last night.  It’s about a huge effort to transfer a person’s brain functions into a super computer.  Very involved!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #8515 on: November 12, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
I'm on the waiting list for the new Sctteline. The two lawyers find themselves in opposite sides in a court case. Has anyone read it?
Their

rosemarykaye

« Reply #8516 on: November 26, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
I have just come back and seen all the messages about lack of activity - oh please don't let the site die! I love it - I know I've been absent, but I will make a big effort to come in more often. It's been an unbelievably busy year for me, but I am back reading again and I hope everyone else will be too!

As mentioned in The Library section, i am just reading a Jemima Shore mystery by Antonia Fraser, but it is pretty weak. I think she should stick to literary biographies. I've also been rewatching some Miss Marple TV specials but found I could not concentrate through to the end - maybe I have had enough Christie for a while? I must admit I have never found her as brilliant as everyone says she is.

I have not seen the new Murder on the Orient Express film - reviews have not been the best. We currently have a new adaptation of Howard's End and it is really very good - in fact I must dash off now to see the next instalment.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #8517 on: November 26, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
And Bellemarie and Barb I would love to join in another book discussion so long as it isn't a very long book - do you have anything in mind?

Don't give up! I have learned so much from this site and feel I have real friends here, even though I haven't actually met any of you.

Rosemary

mabel1015j

« Reply #8518 on: November 29, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »
I’ve been gorging on mystery stories just to get my brain out of the reality of the world around me. I read my first Robert Parker mystery - a Jesse Stone story. I had seen some of the tv shows but hadn’t read the books. I found a David Rosenfelt “Andy Carpenter” book that I hadn’t read. I love his humor and am afraid that this may be the last Andy Carpenter book that I hadn’t read, makes me sad. And I’ve read several Catherine Coulter books. I like her FBI series, but I found a book she wrote before she started the FBI/ Sherlock/Savach stories.

Thank goodness my library has expanded their mystery section, I’m escaping from the world into it. 😊

Jean

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #8519 on: December 08, 2017, 02:34:10 PM »
Just finished Malice by Japanese writer Keigo Higashino.  Interesting book.  Almost at once you know who is guilty but why did he murder?  I really enjoyed the book and now have started Salvation of a Saint by the same author.  Right away I am intrigued by this story.