Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 864342 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2009, 07:48:22 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Coben writes wonderful stand alones.. I like Myron, but the stand alones are much more intense.
We need an author who lets his or her people grow and mature..Also there are some mystery authors.. Lauri King.. She writes some stand alones.. Folly is a good example. It is partly a mystery, but quite a lot more complicated in the growth of a woman learning how to be alone.. Wonderful book.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2009, 09:10:26 AM »
JoanK - I just received a SeniorLearn Bytes e-mail.

all about Matthew Pearl and his Poe series and others.  check out the e-mail and it turned up a Facebook page all about him. also checked his web site which was mentioned.  

i don't know anything about him - would he be good for our month lo ng discusison?

did you receive this e-mail seniorlearn bytes?

JO
Matthew Pearl and his book "the Last Dickens" - http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=751.0 - is our Discussion for October.
The link here is to that pre-discussion where Matthew has posted several times.

We discussed before his "Dante Club", a very nice young author.

Babi

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
As I mentioned earlier, I think any Anne Perry book would make a good
discussion. I don't think we would have any problem maintaining a month long discussion with her.  I'd definitely join in.  As for Stieg Larsson, I believe the RATW group is considering one of his books for discussion.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ALF43

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2009, 10:58:37 AM »
Johanz4-
i don't know anything about him - would he be good for our month long discusison?
did you receive this e-mail seniorlearn bytes?

I am so happy that you asked about our October discussion with Matthew Pearl.  He obliged us by joining in and and answering our many questions when we read The Dante Club.
 He's wonderful, witty and charming.  He loves our site and is anxious for all of our questions. 
This book definetly is worthy of a month long discussion.  Have you ever been in on one of our month-long discussions?
 JoanP and I would love to have you visit us over here.
click here

Navigate the site, post your interest and let us get to know you.  WElcome!!

Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marjifay

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2009, 01:45:34 PM »
Joan K said "Mystery readers: I need your help. We need to find books for discussion in the coming months."

I'd like to recommend David Liss's books.  I loved his excellent historical mystery, WHISKEY REBELS.  He is such a good writer, IMO.  Great history and atmorphere.  Many of the main characters in this book were real people, and I had fun looking them up in Wikipedia and reading more about them and seeing their pictures.

I also want to read his other books, including his latest, THE DEVIL'S COMPANY,  mentioned by Jackie.  The "company" is the British East India Company, which an Amazon reader was surprised to find was such a viper's nest of scheming.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Dana

• ::
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2009, 01:47:21 PM »
Is this where we were posting about Wallander?  Can't remember but just saw that a number of early stories are coming out next month...."The Pyramid"

mrssherlock

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2009, 02:21:57 PM »
Marj:  I'm glad to hear that you like Whiskey Rebels.  I'm looking forward to reading it.  Have you read The Ethical Assassin?

The series character, Benjamin Weaver, is a complex man and we are learning more about him in each book.   
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2009, 03:08:09 PM »
Johanz: he's so good for a discussion that we're having one starting on October 1(in one week) on his latest book "The last Dickens".

I was in the Poe discussion with Pearl, and it was great!! This one should be good too. Dickens' last book was a mystery story: he died in the middle of writing it, so we don't know how he would have ended it. We'll see what Pearl makes of it!!

Come on over and join the pre-discussion HERE

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=751.0

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2009, 03:15:20 PM »
Not to change the subject, but I told my cookie-baking friend Anna (ANNAFAIR from poetry) about Joanne Fluke with her cookie baking detective and cookie recipes. The first thing she asked is "Are the recipes good"? I don't dare bake cookies: I'd gain 500 pounds, but I seem to remember that some of you have tried them. Are they good?

marjifay

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
No, Jackie, I haven't read Liss's The Ethical Assassin.  Does that one feature Benjamin Weaver?  I believe two others, besides The Devil's Company, feature him:  A Spectacle of Corruption and A Conspiracy of Paper.  They've gotten great reviews at Amazon.com.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2009, 05:21:45 PM »
Assassin has a contemporary setting.  The hero is a nice jewish boy who needs money for college; his stepfather, an alum of Florida State, will not help pay for him to go to Columbia.  So our hero gets a job selling encyclopedias  (the descriptions of their sales methods are devastating) and, while he's giving his pitch one night (takes 3 hours or so for the full treatment) a man opens the door and shoots the couple.  This one is violent and very dark, almost nasty. I did finish it, only because it was Liss and there was a hint that this could become a series.  I honrstly don't know if I'd read another assassin book; I probably would to see if the violence   continues to crop up. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2009, 05:58:21 PM »
Marjifay, we read David Liss' "The Coffee Trader" (not a mystery) on the old site.  It read very well and made for a good discussion.

Johanz4, my library has 11 copies of "The Last Dickens" available, so you can probably find it at your library too.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2009, 09:50:20 PM »
Dana, I like the idea of talking about some of the Wallander books. Maybe we could do that when PBS broadcasts their second series based on those stories next Spring.

Johanz4

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2009, 09:51:04 PM »
never attended a book discussion.  but will try to attend matthew Pearl - my library is about a 1/2 hour drive and next week i have a few apptmts. so don't know if i can get to the library.

however will attend the discussion so i can get an idea of what a book discussion  is like. 

i am sure i will like it. 

Johanz

marjifay

« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2009, 11:56:03 PM »
I think I'll read Liss's books with the Benjamin Weaver character first, Jackie. 

Your mentioning the devastating methods of encyclopedia salesmen in the Assassin, reminded me that one of the first things I bought after I got my first job (after my pair of figure skates) was a 1951 set of Enclopedia Britannica.  I still have them, but they're a bit dated now and it's so much easier to look something up in Wikipdia.  (I bought the figure skates because I had to use cheap hockey skates when I was a kid.  I also still have the figure skates.)

Marj

serenesheila

« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2009, 04:15:34 AM »
Marking my place.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »
Yes, tried Flukes cookie recipes.. They are good, but again too much sugar as a general rule.. I cut way back on sugar in most cookie recipes anyway.

Johanz4

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:47 PM »
just finished a good book by Claudia Bishop - it is 'the Casebook of Dr. McKenzie' who is a veterarian in north NY state who loves to get involved with the police insolving  murders.  the title of the book thru me off 'The case of the tough-talking tukey' - it turns out to be the nickname of the owner of a very large turkey farm.  learned lots about turkey farms.

i plan on checking for other books by her - according to the back she wrote other mysteries including the above one which is the second in the series.  it really held my interest.

JO

mrssherlock

« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2009, 11:21:27 PM »
A cute mystery starring a basset hound who is convinced he's really Elvis is Elvis and the Dearly Departed by Peggy Webb.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/peggy-webb/elvis-and-dearly-departed.ht.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #59 on: September 25, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »
Hmm. I have never liked the Claudia Bishop series on a town in upstate NY, but the Vet sounds neat. Will have to look them up.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2009, 04:47:17 PM »
One of the most intriguing books I have read recently is "The Glass Castle"  by Jeannette Walls.  The cover says, "Walls had joined the company of writers such as Mary Karr and Frank McCourt who have been able to transfort their sad memories into fine art".  Walls tells how her family lived in small mining towns where they were always leaving in the midddle of the night ahead of the sheriff.  The mother would not leave the alcoholic father nor take care of her four children so they mainly took care of themselves and each other.  In spite of their background and lack of formal education, they all became successful in what they chose to do.  She doesn't feel sorry for herself nor hate her parents.   In fact the name of the book, comes from one of her fathers dreams which he was not able to fulfill.  He had a brilliant, scientific mind, but was unable to make use of it because of his alcoholism.

Steph

« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2009, 08:36:21 AM »
I loved The Glass Wall, but found that the parents were incredibly emotionallyabusive.. The kids reaised themselves and since I have no idea how they made out as parents do wondor.

mrssherlock

« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2009, 03:13:15 PM »
Forensics as a subject appeals to me.  Stories about forensic scientists are sure to get my attention.  For several years I have been reading Beverly Connor's books about Forensic Anthropologist Diane Fallon who doubles as museum director and crime lab head in Georgia.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/beverly-connor/

Dust to Dust is the latest one and it is up to the standards set by the previous six books.  This is one series that works better if it is read in order because there is choronlogical advancement from book to book but not so seriously that one can be enjoyed without all the background filled in.  From the back cover
"an author on the verge of superstardom"  Midwest Book Review
.  For fellow fans, #, The Night Killer, is due out in April.
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #63 on: September 29, 2009, 07:17:02 AM »
 I've just started Anne Perry's "Execution Dock", one of her 'Monk' series. As
usual, it absorbed my attention immediately. Can't miss with one of Perry's
books.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #64 on: September 29, 2009, 08:48:37 AM »
Beverly Connor.. Hmm. will write that down and look for her. I love that sort of mystery

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #65 on: September 29, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »
My library has never heard of Conner.

I try to read all of Perry's too, but she put out so many. I miss some.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #66 on: September 29, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »
Just finished "Blood Detective" by Dan Waddell.  It's a British police procedural.  It was interesting as it has some unusual and interesting characters.  Next I'm starting on a Detective Alvarez on the island of Majorca.  It sounds ideal when you read about island living, but we lived on Guam for several years and I found it confining--especially when a typhoon is coming and there's no where to go.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #67 on: September 29, 2009, 11:30:37 PM »
Our library has books by a Beverly Connor, but her protagonist's name is Lindsay Chamberlain?  Is this the same one?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 11:59:33 AM »
Mart:  Yes, its the same Beverly Connor:  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/c/beverly-connor/
I haven't read any of those but i like the characters and she has intriguing plots.
Jackie

Johanz4

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 10:13:07 PM »
just completed a book tiled 'The Watchman' by Robert Crais - it features Joe Pike.

has anyone read his books?  I enjoyed it immensely and it held my interest from start to finish. 

plan on checking for more of his books.  i recomend it .

johanz

peace42

« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 11:00:18 PM »
I have read Robert Crais but must admit I can't remember what ;D But I do know that I liked what I read
just finished Boneman's Daughters by Ted Dekker...have seen his books in our  local Christian bookstore and have always wanted to read one...found the writing stilted and slightly over the top...good vs evil...Satan vs God...might try another one of his  just to see if my opinion stays the same...took out a couple more from the library..a John Grisham and Jeffrey Deaver...stopped reading Grisham for a while..just was disappointed in his stuff even tho I always liked him..haven't read Deaver but am already into it and liking it.
nite all and sleep  well
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2009, 07:52:56 AM »
Robert CRais.. I have read everything he ever wrote. Grieved over Lucy and laughed with Elvis. The Joe Pike is a really good read about a really odd man.. Excellent.

nlhome

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »
Was it someone here who said they enjoyed the Inspector Alvarez series? I just finished An Enigmatic Disappearance (Roderic Jeffries). It was a quick read and had its humor. The heavy, constant drinking stood in the way, though. I guess I took that part of the story too seriously.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2009, 11:34:49 AM »
I'm reading an Inspector Alvarez mystery "An Artful Death".  It also has a lot of drinking and partying among the "ex-pats" (as they are called).  I wonder if that part of the story is realistic?  However, I enjoy this series. 

marjifay

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2009, 01:52:35 PM »
I also love Robert Crais's mysteries, especially his THE LAST DETECTIVE with Elvis Cole.  The book has characters you really care about and was the only mystery novel to bring me to tears when Elvis's childhood was revealed.

Marj

mrssherlock

« Reply #75 on: October 01, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »
Count me in among the Robert Crais fans.  I'll grab any book with his name, don't care what it is about.
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2009, 05:30:17 PM »
Stop You're Killing Me has some features I didn't know about. http://www.stopyourekillingme.com/
On the left of the home page there is a list where mysteries are grouped into categories.  Occupation, location, genre, etc.  Also "if you like this author ____________ you may like ____________. and if you like this book_______________ you may like these____________.  Treasure!
Jackie

mrssherlock

« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2009, 05:36:57 PM »
Lucky accident, I was reading the latest Stop You're Killing Me (SYKM) when I was interrupted.  When I came back it had disappeared not onl from my screen but from my email list.  So i went to the home page, looking for a link to the newsletter which I didn't find. What I did find is they have a list of various indeces to mysteries; location, genre, diversity, occupation, etc.  Great fun scrolling through some favorites.  Also "if you like to read books by _____________  you might like these authors"  and the same thing for "if you like this bookyou may like these".  Check it out.
Jackie

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: October 01, 2009, 09:47:29 PM »
What a wealth of information at that site, mrssherlock. I've bookmarked it. Thank you!!

Johanz4

« Reply #79 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:38 PM »
happy to hear that there are fans of Robert Crais - it was the first i read and enjoyed it tremendously.  plan on checking for more next week when i go to the library - i think all his books  sound like they can be read alone and not in a series.  hope i am right but will read whatever i can get.

JOhanz