Author Topic: Mystery Corner ~ 2  (Read 864272 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner ~ 2
« Reply #80 on: October 02, 2009, 07:51:53 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

hmm..Actually if you can, the Elvis need to be read in order in the Crais books.. You lose the love affair if you dont.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »
OK you guys have to go over to Author, Author. The latest quiz is a mystery with a hero who is a spy works in Russia, but has been in Japan written by an author who has been a philologist and edior with an interest in Japanese.

Do you know who it is? Go here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=467.msg40601;topicseen#new

and scroll down to post 428 to get all the clues.

Steph

« Reply #82 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
Other than Carre, never read the spy stuff.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #83 on: October 07, 2009, 12:15:08 PM »
I've only read (all) of the Ludlum books. His Bourne books got me hooked on him. I was fascinated by the Jason Bourne character who lost his memory but still had all of the fantastic skills he couldn't understand.

Babi

« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2009, 08:04:47 AM »
 Anne Perry's William Monk had a similar experience.  He is a policeman
who lost his memory, but still remembered how to be a policeman. He
his his memory loss to keep his job.  He discovered that his old self had
been a harsh, unlikable, unpopular man.  The books trace his new growth into a different personality.  Fascinating.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2009, 08:30:46 AM »
You do wonder if people would change. I have or had a friend who had surgery emergency for an aneurysm.. They had to take some of the memory part of her brain to cure her. She lost short term.. Did not know her husband or children or current life and thought she was 18.. She struggled with it for years, finally divorced her husband moved back to her home town and  ( to my amazement) married her childhood sweetheart. They have been happy for years now, but I am still waiting for the other shoe to fall.

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 10:41:43 AM »
just completed a book tiled 'The Watchman' by Robert Crais - it features Joe Pike.

has anyone read his books?  I enjoyed it immensely and it held my interest from start to finish. 

plan on checking for more of his books.  i recomend it .

johanz

I am a great fan of Robert Crais.  I have read many of his books.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 11:43:19 AM »
Babi, your description of William Monk reminds me a bit of the Harrison Ford character in the movie "Regarding Henry."

There seems to be a lot of evidence that people who suffer trauma to specific parts of their brain, due to illness or accident, can develop completely different "personalities" (ways of perceiving, remembering and behaving). There are interesting stories and explanations about this in a book by Antonio Damasio, "Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain."

mrssherlock

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 01:37:47 PM »
Has anyone read The Chalk Circle Man by Fred Vargas?  It is the first of a series featuring Jean-Baptiste Adamsberg, a most singular cop in Paris.  There is a charm about this author's style which I'm not sure I like but I keep reading.  Not like an American Police Procedural (PP) his (French) detectives cannot quite adjust to his controversial methods.  He is not the data collecting, pragmatist.  Instead he seems to see things with a third eye, sensing the truths behind the carefully concocted stories of the suspects.  Paris is all atwitter when morning light reveals a series of circles drawn in blue chalk, usually one at a time.  Each circle encloses a single piece of litter and a cryptic verse is always inscribed around the edge.  Then, one morning, the body of a woman is discovered within a blue chalk circle.   
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

peace42

« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2009, 02:03:43 AM »
I too love the Stop You're Killing Me site...I want to read everything they list...like we always say: so many books, so little time!

Just finished my Jeffery Deaver book, Roadside Crosses..a bit.long  wnded in places but interesting..more than one story line which made it interesting..and the killer wasn't  revealed until the very end after what seemed the wind up to the "case"... would read another of his..maybe I already have but can't remember ::) that happens a lot..I do keep a list of the books I've read but I know I miss some here and there..now you folks have me wanting to get a Robert Crais book out of the library..as I said before I do  like him a lot

well, off to bed and my John Grisham book...so far it's just so-so..seems too predictible but I'll trudge on :-\

take care and sleep well
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #90 on: October 09, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »
Was somewhat disappointed in my latest gaslight book.. Murder on Bank Street.. Solves the murder of her husband, but did not like that she was totally inactive in this one.. Disappointed me. I like the ones where she is involved in helping to solve the crime.

Babi

« Reply #91 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
That's interesting, MARCIE. I wondered if there was any evidence that
such a change in character was possible.  A pity one can't be precise about
such brain injuries.  I can think of people who would benefit.  ;D
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #92 on: October 09, 2009, 11:23:19 AM »
 ;) babi

mrssherlock

« Reply #93 on: October 09, 2009, 12:55:31 PM »
The Whiskey Rebels by David Liss is quite engrossing.  Not being a history buff I'd paid little attention to the implications of the establishment by Hamilton of the US Bank or the Whiskey Rebellion.  Now I'm living vicariously in the middle of the schemes and counter schemes, marveling at the depths of depravity which accompanied the Westward expansion.  As always Liss' chast of characters includes a non-stereotypical Jew which is satisfying as an expression of the diversity of this nation from its beginnings.  Another semi-leading character is a Negro whose sangfroid puts the "hero" to shame. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #94 on: October 10, 2009, 09:17:00 AM »
I really must try Liss. I had steered away since the books seemed a bit masculine for me, but think I will give one a shot.

peace42

« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2009, 01:48:00 AM »
well finished my Grisham...and it stayed so-so...could have been such an exciting story..but with Grisham, well one never knows..a few years ago I bought a wonderful book at a flea market, The Encyclopedia of Murder and Mystery by Bruce Murphy..copyright 1999 so many of our newer authors are not in here but it's such a fascinating book..not just authors but genres, books, "mystery=related" words,  i.e. cop.."the single most common word for 'policeman', cop is a shortening of 'copper'and may come from Romanian cappi, meaning gain, booty. It is certain tht copper began to be applied to policeman in the mid-nineteenth century." and on and on...anyway, I digress..just wanted to print a bit of what the book says about Grisham. here goes...A Publshers Weeklu article estimated the worldwide gross of his novels and their spinoffs at $1 Billion...that's Billion, folks with a B!!! It further says that "Grisham's novels are more dependent onsuspense and melodrama than detection or mystery" "The characters and descriptions tend to be wooden". I would have to agree yet I still read his stuff...maybe because they are a fast read, not too bad a story and they're fun!! This book is so fascinating...has many items on characters from mystery books and even such items as hemlock. I'm wondering if it's been updated..will have to check it out.  sorry to take so  long here...nite all..off to find a  new book in my "winter" pile of stuff...supposed to be in low 30's or even high 20's tonite and early morning  here in SW Michigan..good nite to be under my new fleect blanket I bought yesterday..sleep well everyone and dream of a new book or two to buy or borrow
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Babi

« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2009, 09:14:04 AM »
 That's an interesting explanation of "cop", PEACE. I knew it was a
shortened version of "copper", but I always thought that referred to the
copper badges they wore. The first police badges were made of copper.

mrssherlock

« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2009, 09:16:56 AM »
I thought it was an acronym for Constable on Patrol.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2009, 09:23:15 AM »
Oh, I like that Constable on Patrol.. Interesting theory. I have several books on mystery authors.. One just for women writers..

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
A Special Announcement -
We've just opened a poll to assess interest in a number of titles for upcoming Book Discussions.
IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION, the titles in the header of the Suggestion Box are links to reviews.
PLEASE MARK AS MANY TITLES THAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO DISCUSS in depth in the coming months. (We're looking for a number of titles)

WHEN YOU ARE READY, THE POLL IS HERE

Babi

« Reply #100 on: October 12, 2009, 09:19:00 AM »
 For an Anne Perry book, I would recommend starting with the first book of
either of her poplar 'Monk' or 'Pitt' series.  For Thomas Pitt, that would be
"The Cater Street Hangman".  For William Monk, "The Face of a Stranger".
   The latter, "The Face of a Stranger", would be especially good for discussion.
Lots to talk about.  Could it be added to the list?

Tomereader1

« Reply #101 on: October 12, 2009, 12:57:12 PM »
I keep chastising myself for belonging to three different mystery book groups on-line, i.e. I forget who suggested what, or what I might have suggested.  LOL!

At any rate, I suppose you nice folks will forgive me if I suggest a mystery author, new to me, that someone suggested, somewhere!
Beverly Connor.  She writes forensic investigation mysteries, and has two series:  the Diane Fallon one, and the Lindsey Chamberlain.  The Fallon series, Diane is the director of the Rivertrail Museum of Natural History in Georgia.  I have read two of her books thus far, and really enjoy them.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #102 on: October 12, 2009, 03:41:51 PM »
Beverly Connor was my suggestion.  She is an interesting character, isn't she? 
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2009, 04:05:04 PM »
Well, thank you twice Mrssherlock, once for your suggestion, and once for telling me you were the one who suggested!  Have you read any of the Lindsay Chamberlain ones? 

I love these Diane ones, have requested two more from my library.  I think someone here in Dallas must read this board, because the available copies of the Fallon books are all out!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2009, 06:55:05 PM »
Seems as if there are several of you in Texas:  Babi and Barb.  Let's take a poll and see whe3re we all live.  I', in Salem Oregon (pronounced or-y gun).
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #105 on: October 12, 2009, 10:32:04 PM »
Tennessee.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Frybabe

« Reply #106 on: October 12, 2009, 11:00:31 PM »
Pennsylvania

CubFan

« Reply #107 on: October 12, 2009, 11:52:45 PM »
Wisconsin
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2009, 01:34:58 AM »
California

Steph

« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2009, 08:32:59 AM »
Florida

Tomereader1

« Reply #110 on: October 13, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »
Sounds like we are a nationwide group.  If we all decided to give a weather report, we could have a little bit of everything!

We have had rain, rain here for several days, along with cool temperatures that we rarely see in October, 50's and 60's.  Supposed to be back up to the 80's though. 

André Maurois

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #111 on: October 13, 2009, 12:48:35 PM »
I live in the Bay Area..east bay

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #112 on: October 13, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »
I live in california too, but hundreds of miles South, in the Los Angeles area.

It is raining today, for the first time since last Winter. And I an celebrating -- I haven't heard rain in so long, I've forgotten what it sounds like. And I love the sound of rain. I stayed in bed an extra hour just to listen to it.

The downside is that there will be mud slides -- probably in the same areas that had fires a few months ago.

peace42

« Reply #113 on: October 13, 2009, 08:53:02 PM »
I live in a small town in  SW Michigan, not far from the Indiana border..my apartment is about 1 1/2 miles from Lake Michigan...cold today..been in the 30's at nite...bit too early for this stuff..leaves are changing very quickly and all are falling to the ground at a much too rapid pace..hope this is not a sign of what kind of winter we're going to have..but it will come and nothing I can do about it...except complain :P ;D 

nlhome

« Reply #114 on: October 13, 2009, 09:22:27 PM »
Wisconsin
Sunny here today, but cold.

Johanz4

« Reply #115 on: October 13, 2009, 09:57:17 PM »
has anyone read Elaine Viets books? i particularly like her 'dead-end job mysteries. when shegets involved in solving murders it definitely holds your interest. it is light reading but good.

i live in SE FL. and we are havin g very hot humid days for this time of the year. last year we were freezing - i even bought an electric blanket. doesn't look like i will be using it.

at least, we are having what the weather people call a dud hurricane season at least so far. we did have Wilma the end of Oct. so anything can happen.

JO

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #116 on: October 13, 2009, 10:19:03 PM »
North Central Florida.  Moved here about 22 years ago and love it, especially in the winter.

Steph

« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 07:44:15 AM »
Normally I loved central Florida where I live, but this year, the heat is really bothering me. It is supposed to get cooler this weekend. I certainly hope so.
Elaine Viets.. Yes, I like the dead end job stuff, although the reason behind it escapes me. Surely by now she could prove she is not working and earns close to nothing.. But that would spoil the dead end job part. Oh well.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
Today the sky is clearing up after the first storm of the season here in northern California. Yesterday it poured all day and was VERY windy.

Doing a search for something else lead me in a round about way to some "Jane Austen" mysteries, among them a series by Stephanie Barron in which Jane Austen does sleuthing similar, I take it, to Miss Marple. Have any of you read any of these?

CubFan

« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2009, 12:29:42 PM »
Marcie -

Yes, I've read all of the Jane Austin books by Stephanie Barron and enjoyed them. The victorian age with the stereotyped society standards play a fun part in the books as well as two other series of the same type.

Anne Perry has written many books in the Thomas & Charlotte Pitt series.  I liked these - but I could not get into her "Monk" series which has been enjoyed by others here.

And, in the series by Carrie BeBris, she takes the characters from the Jane Austin books - Mr. & Mrs. Darcy and creates mysteries around them. Her book titles parallel Jane Austen's - Pride & Prescience, Suspense & Sensibiltiy, and North by Northanger.
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson