Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 358835 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2009, 11:21:16 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2009, 11:40:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Babi.  I don't get that channel, but I put "The Colour of Magic" on my "save" list on Netflix for when it comes out in DVD.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2009, 11:49:26 AM »
I looked the movie up on IMDB, and it turns out that Terry Pratchett himself has a cameo role as astrozoologist 2.  So watch for him.

mrssherlock

« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2009, 09:31:25 PM »
Somehow I learned about Farthing by Jo Walton.  Tried it and liked it; it is an alternate reality story, post WWII, with Germany occupying the continent; Britain has signed a non-aggression treaty with Germany.  I read the others in the series and am awaiting the arrival of the newest at my library.  Jo Walton has written other books so I'm tying them. Tooth and Claw  is about a society of dragons and it is a hoot.  If you can imagine Jane Austen-like social maneuvering between dragon families, well, it is worth the read.  Right now I'm reading one about what seems to be another take on the Arthur legend.  Also very good.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

catbrown

« Reply #164 on: March 24, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »
Tooth and Claw  is about a society of dragons and it is a hoot.  If you can imagine Jane Austen-like social maneuvering between dragon families, well, it is worth the read. 

"Tooth and Claw" is a hoot, I agree! It's not based on Austen though, rather on Trollope's "Barchester Towers," and, since I'm a confirmed Trollope fan, that made me happy.

Cat

mrssherlock

« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
Yes, Trollope, what a treat reading Barchester was.  Another name I found on the award lists is Elizabeth Bear.  Her New Amsterdam was good so I deterrmined to read more of her/  Hammered is tough and gritty as it recounts a future world where Canada is in competition with the Chinese for, among other things, space.  Our heroine is a reck of a woman, half mechanical, who survives on coffee and booze.  Her best friends are:  the head crime lord of Hartford, a rogue cop and a cat.  Gradually her past catches up to her and she can no longer hide in the bottle.  I'm ordering the nest one as I type.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Babi

« Reply #166 on: March 25, 2009, 09:40:26 AM »
"Tooth and Claw" appeals to me, but my local library doesn't have it. Maybe the County library does. I suspect my library has been feeling a financial pinch for the last year or so.  Too much free space on the shelves now, compared to what it used to be.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #167 on: March 25, 2009, 11:09:42 AM »
Babi:  At the very time when borrowing is up in libraries funding is down, meaning fewer new books, shorter hours and reduced staffing.  Guess folks are reading morel.  TV sure is boring, it becomes noteworthy when a series has a new story.  While I can watch reruns of The West Wing over and over, others do not retain their attraction once the solution is revealed.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #168 on: March 25, 2009, 04:51:14 PM »
Tooth and Claw appeals to me. Will look in my paperback swap club. I also likeElizabeth Bear. Had not thought of her in a long long time.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2009, 08:30:32 AM »
JACKIE, would you believe, since we got cable, I have been spending far too much time watching re-runs of MASH. They are such good shows, and it's been so long I don't really remember most of them. Next to Hawkeye, Radar is still
my favorite character.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:33 AM »
We are out inthe rv and we get Frasier every afternoon. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the acting in that show.

mrssherlock

« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2009, 12:54:13 PM »
The timing was just right and I was in the mood so I succumbed to one of those TV commercials and bought a DVD of WKRP in Cinncinnatti.  What fun to see the crazy clothes and hair.  It was like  time travel.  Old TV shows, there is a channel in Portland which has played Perry Mason every day at noon since 1972 or some such date.  Except for West WIng my favorites are the comedies, MASH for one.  Home Improvement, Bob Newhart, both of them.  We also watch Star Trek, all variations, which is not known for its humor. 
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2009, 08:52:07 AM »
Ah, Bob Newhart!  I loved his telephone monologues.  I still remember the one where he is Sir Walter Raleigh trying to explain what tobacco is and what it was used for. Especially the part where you 'wrap it in paper, put it in your mouth and set it on fire'.  The man had me lol every time.

mrssherlock

« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
There is a program called American Masters on PBS:  "AMERICAN MASTERS is an ongoing series of award-winning primetime specials examining the lives, works, and creative processes of our most outstanding cultural artists."  http://www.pbs.org/wnet/americanmasters/  The Bob Newhart story was fantastic.  I had forgotten the tobacco sketch.  He is a true master.
Jackie

Steph

« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2009, 04:37:26 PM »
I love Star Trek.. However Jean Luc is my Captain forever..

mrssherlock

« Reply #175 on: March 27, 2009, 05:04:16 PM »
I'm with you, Steph.  William Shatner is embarrassing. 
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #176 on: March 27, 2009, 07:28:00 PM »
I'm with you, Steph.  William Shatner is embarrassing. 
Yes, especially when he thinks he's being romantic, but Spock is OK, and the TV series as a whole definitely has something, even with the corn and the clumsy special effects.  By the way, I assume you have all seen "Galaxy Quest"?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2009, 07:40:29 PM »
Jackie, I just read the first of the "Lost Fleet", "Dauntless".  You're right, it's very good.  I'm going to read the rest, but I dassn't get them now, because if I do I'll read them straight through, and I don't have the time right now.

It just finally occurred to me (duh) that if I see a book on the Fantastic Fiction link and I know I'm going to buy it from Amazon, I might as well access Amazon through the link on the FF site, and maybe it'll do some good in terms of Amazon continuing to think it's worth pouring some money into FF.  I did that with "Dauntless", and it worked the same as always.

mrssherlock

« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2009, 10:58:48 PM »
FF is Amazon? 
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2009, 11:15:45 PM »
No, I don't think so, but there are shopping links here and there.  I'm sure Amazon pays for this, and it's probably what keeps the site paid up.  It's a British site, so you have to be careful not to get AmazonUK.

Steph

« Reply #180 on: March 28, 2009, 10:40:26 AM »
I recently put in a wish list on my bookswap site for the book that was recommended here. Where they use an anti aging and it works on the man, but not the woman.. Looks fascinating. If life does not overwhelm me, I hope to start it next week. Going away for a week in the rv, means I am somewhat behind in all of my normal activities.

Steph

« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2009, 09:22:01 AM »
I started
Terry Pratchett's  Night Watch.. It features Sam Vimes, who has always been one of my favorites. Something threw both him and a criminal back in time.. neat.

Babi

« Reply #182 on: April 04, 2009, 10:09:55 AM »
I was so disappointed when I tried to watch our tape of "The Color of Magic".
The tape was so bad and there was so much distortion that it was a total loss.
I'm going to see if I can find it on Netflix.
 Did anyone here get a chance to see it?  If so, what did you think of it?

Steph

« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »
I must see if I can rent the tape. I am having fun with the book. It looks at time travel a bit differently and Sam is getting to train the young Sam.. He knows who he is, but the young one has no idea. Fun

Steph

« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2009, 07:38:30 AM »
Finished Night Watch.. An excellent book. I learned a lot about Sam.. The idea was interesting and Terry Pratchett made me laugh and laugh at some of the characters.. Even death got a cameo part.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2009, 08:43:34 AM »
I liked Night Watch too--one of his better ones.  I'm currently reading Making Money.  Having reformed the Post Office, Moist is now turning his attention to the Mint.

Steph

« Reply #186 on: April 07, 2009, 07:54:32 AM »
I loved Making Money and get a kick out of Moist.. Pratchett is a favorite of mine.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2009, 07:07:39 PM »
I finally had time to read the rest of Jack Campbell's "Lost Fleet" series, and chomped through it at a great rate.  Jackie, you're right, it's very good military space opera.  It's sort of like the Perils of Pauline too, out of one space battle into another dangerous situation.  After 5 books (all there are to date) we are left at what could be the end or, much more likely, leading into another 5 book series.  I wait with interest.

Now I have to get hold of "Tooth and Claw".  "Barchester Towers" was amusing, and the idea of redoing it with dragons boggles the mind.

mrssherlock

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
PATH:  You'll get a kick out of Tooth and Claw. 

I'm reading the latest in the Jack McDevitt series about Alex Benedict, the antiquities dealer.  The Devil's Eye refers to a planet way, way far away which has only one "star" in its night sky.  There is no moon so there are no tides. 
Jackie

Babi

« Reply #189 on: May 08, 2009, 08:41:54 AM »
 Sounds like a dark planet, JACKIE.  I finally found, ordered and received the
Petaybe Twins series by McCaffrey and Scarborough.  Unfortunately, I am
somewhat disappointed.  All three books are about the twins as children, and
the books seem more suitable for young readers. Not much depth to them, but kids would love the idea of being able to turn into selkies (seals), cavort in the water, and do heroic things.

Frybabe

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2009, 10:27:47 PM »
Just received my latest book order which include "Old Man's War", the first Alex Benedict book from Jack McDevitt, and Elizabeth Moon's last book of her Vada Series, "Final..." something or other. Not at home at the moment to double check the title names.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2009, 12:30:25 PM »
I just finished "Zoe's Tale", the fourth book in John Scalzi's "Old Men's War" Series.  It's essentially the events of the third book, "The Last Colony" told from the standpoint of a different character, a teenage girl.  There can't be a lot of plot suspense, since you know the major events, but there is some, and the book holds your interest well.

mrssherlock

« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2009, 02:26:50 PM »
Just oredered Zoe's Tale.  Thanks for lmentioning it.  Robert J Sawyer has a new series starting, as I read on FF.  For some reason I can't copy and paste the site but look it up.  WWW:Wake Looks good. 
Jackie

Frybabe

« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »
Just received my latest book order which include "Old Man's War", the first Alex Benedict book from Jack McDevitt, and Elizabeth Moon's last book of her Vada Series, "Final..." something or other. Not at home at the moment to double check the title names.

Amendment:

The fifth and final book in the Vatta series by Elizabeth Moon is Victory Conditions. The Jack McDevitt book I received is A Talent for War.

Steph

« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2009, 09:42:06 AM »
Saw the newest Star Trek movie.. What a hoot.. The young Spock really really looks like Leonard Nemoy..

mrssherlock

« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
Those of us who are watching Fox TV's Fringe were delighted to see Leonard Nimoy appear in the very last few minutes of the season's finale.  This creative show about FBI agents ala Mulder and Scully has been consistently entertaining this family since its inception.  With the addition of Nimoy to the cliffhanger end of season show we can anticipate more delicious suspense next year.  If you havenn't been watching I suggest that you get in line on Netflix to catch up before September's new season starts.
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2009, 01:57:32 PM »
I finally got ahold of "Tooth and Claw".  Will report later.

I'm now moving to JoanK's, and if we don't get her online, I'll be out of it too.  If one of you sees that you are posting #200, would you please just post "saved for heading" in it so I can put in the heading without messing up your post, then use #201 instead.

Steph

« Reply #197 on: May 21, 2009, 05:30:37 PM »
I have strong feelings about Fox News and rarely will watch the channel, but Leonard Nemoy may bring me over for at least that show.

mrssherlock

« Reply #198 on: May 21, 2009, 05:36:22 PM »
Steph:  I'm with you about fox news but Fringe is worth the risk of contamination.  Do order the DVD to see the whole season if you can.  The story line builds each episode.  BtW, sad to say that Medium won't be back.  I really enjoy the stories storeis of the mother (Patricia Aquette) who can dream future events and the loving family it portrays will be sorely missed amid the dreck that most shows consist of. 
Jackie

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #199 on: May 22, 2009, 01:13:21 AM »
My SIL tells me the new Star Trek movie is the best Star Trek movie ever.  He's seen it twice.  I'll have to see it when I get back.