Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 177110 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #2880 on: May 04, 2017, 03:53:09 PM »
heading

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2881 on: May 04, 2017, 03:53:47 PM »
Goodness, I'm falling behind; haven't read Alliance of Equals yet.  I wonder where they're going to go with Theo now.

Frybabe

« Reply #2882 on: May 12, 2017, 05:44:40 PM »
Andy Weir has a new book coming out in November and the movie rights have already been sold. The story seems a bit less interesting to me, but it is sure to appeal to the younger set. http://www.unboundworlds.com/2017/05/film-rights-already-sold-martian-author-andy-weirs-artemis/?cdi=13F0CB1F062E09D7E0534FD66B0A73BA&ref=PRH2028E2388CC9

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2883 on: May 12, 2017, 07:06:15 PM »
Hmm.  This one is more character and plot driven than science driven.  Those were the weaker sides of The Martian, but Weir is an evolving writer--seemed to me he improved as The Martian went on--so I don't know what to expect, but I'll certainly give it a chance.  It's not too surprising the movie rights were snapped up.  You could coast some on the first one no matter what it was like.

Frybabe

« Reply #2884 on: May 25, 2017, 01:34:05 PM »
I just picked up two Poul Anderson books from the Friends of the Library Bookstore - The Van Rijn Method and it's sequel, Star Trader. I am sure I've read some of his short stories, "High Treason" is one I particularly liked, but never a full length book.

Frybabe

« Reply #2885 on: May 28, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »
Now reading: Jack Campbell's Vanguard: This is starting with Robert Geary and a new colony without means to defend itself because the Colony Counsel didn't think they would have to. Hah! A colony in a neighboring star system is already empire building.

Also: Lost Time: Part 1 [SECOND SKYN] by Damien Boyes. This is an interesting story about a guy who had his memories, etc. transplanted into a synthetic human body at his death. He and his wife were given an insurance contract for which gives the holder a form of immortality with their process (Second Skyn is the name of the company). Unfortunately, he would rather not have had it and to make matters worse, his wife didn't live long enough for rescue workers to secure her for the transplant (such that it is). What started out as a search for the guy who caused the hit and run accident is turning into so much more. I am enjoying this one. Five book series.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2886 on: May 28, 2017, 02:57:06 PM »
I looked for High Treason for the s-f stories discussion, but couldn't find it online.  I found others, though, and will try to pick one.  some are too long.

It's been decades since I read anything of his.

Frybabe

« Reply #2887 on: May 28, 2017, 04:30:48 PM »
oops! I misremembered. The one I read was "The Highest Treason" by Randall Garrett which was published in Analog Science Fact & Fiction, January, 1961. I think that one is a little too long for here. I can't believe I've never read any of Poul Anderson's works. I am going to have to take a closer look at the two books I got; it appears they are omnibus reprints of his Nicholas van Rijn stories within the Technic Civilization Saga.

Project Gutenberg has only a few of his stories listed and they all look long. I recognized the illustrations in two of them so I must have at least attempted to read them. They must not have made a great impression.

Frybabe

« Reply #2888 on: May 31, 2017, 07:31:51 AM »
I stayed up late last night to finish Jack Campbell's book. It reads more like the Lost Stars series than Lost Fleet.

This first book is mostly a get acquainted with the characters and the new colonies  - world and character building. I had expected the new series to start at the beginnings of the war with the Syndics, but it begins far earlier, to the events that will eventually lead up to the star systems and planets that form the Syndic and the Alliance empires.

It's a good start and a good read.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2889 on: May 31, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
That's good to hear.  I was afraid it might be just ho hum fill-in.

Frybabe

« Reply #2890 on: June 07, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
Right now I am beginning the third of the Crimson Worlds: Refugees series. As with his original Crimson Worlds series, the story and characters are interesting - up to a point. The author, Jay Allan, insists on padding out his material with constant repetitious ruminations by his characters over memories and decisions made (past and present), etc. Very annoying, made all the more annoying by the grossly poor editing on this series. I saw such things as doubled words not removed, past tense where present tense was needed, missing words, comments in conversations that are attributed to one character when it was obviously the other party making the comment, and word misuse like 'they'll' where it should have been 'there will'. There was even an instance of failure of logic (unless I badly misread a bit, which is possible) in the story line, but I no longer remember what exactly.

The library is ordering Daniel H. Wilson's Clockwork Dynasty at my recommendation. I have high hopes that it will attract the attention of alternative history, steampunk, and scifi fans alike. This one is a little different than his usual robot/AI books. This one centers on human form mechanical characters. Think all those wonderful mechanical birds, trolleys and such of the Renaissance. https://www.fantasticfiction.com/w/daniel-h-wilson/clockwork-dynasty.htm

Frybabe

« Reply #2891 on: June 08, 2017, 02:32:13 PM »
I decided to try Alastair Reynolds, so I picked up his The Prefect at the library. I'll start that after I finish the ebook I am reading (which will be shortly). The library has all of his books except for Galactic Nbioorth which is a collection of his short stories. Maybe I can find that on at the Free Library of Phila.

Interesting biographical info. Reynolds is Welsh and for about 14 or 15 years he worked at the European Space Research and Technology Center (part of ESA) before he turned to writing full time.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2892 on: June 08, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »
I see The Prefect is the last of the Revelation series.  I read one of the others, not sure if it was the first or not.  It was OK, but I didn't end up reading more.  I'll be interested to learn what you think of it.

Interesting career move; I wonder about the reasons.

Frybabe

« Reply #2893 on: June 09, 2017, 06:15:09 AM »
Pat, from what I gathered the first three of the Revelation series are a trilogy. The others, while set in the Revelation universe can be read as stand-alones.

I also got Ben Bova's The Hittite, which is a tale wrapped up in the events of the Iliad. I always thought of Bova as a Science Fiction writer and editor, but it looks like he has written some others.

Frybabe

« Reply #2894 on: June 10, 2017, 06:54:41 AM »
Spaceships, Black Holes and Welsh mythology? I might just have to look into this trilogy.
http://www.unboundworlds.com/2017/06/listen-c-a-higgins-on-black-holes-spaceships-and-welsh-mythology/?cdi=13F0CB1F062E09D7E0534FD66B0A73BA&ref=PRH2028E2388CC9 The podcast is interesting. The author has a background in physics and what inspired her to write the trilogy.

Frybabe

« Reply #2895 on: June 10, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
I am getting overloaded with reading again. This morning I discovered that Tolkien's Silmarillion is free to read with my Amazon Prime Reading, so I downloaded it. My hard copy is nowhere to be found so I think it got purged with my other already read Lord of the Rings and Tolkien Reader.

Our library system has the first of C. A. Higgin's trilogy, Lightless, so I ordered it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2896 on: June 10, 2017, 10:59:34 AM »
I found Silmarillion pretty heavy going.  good luck with it.

I just finished Dragon in Exile, the next in line (for me; there's an even later one out) of Lee and Miller's Liaden series.  It's a bridge, carrying on the problems of Clan Korval on Surebleak, settling one or two things, starting some more things, and carrying on middle sections of most of the issues.  It wouldn't make much sense if read out of order, but it's welcome for anyone following the series.

Frybabe

« Reply #2897 on: June 10, 2017, 07:22:32 PM »
Here is the updated reading order list for the Laiden Universe.
http://sharonleewriter.com/correct-reading-order/

So far I have read Agent of Change, Conflict of Honors, Carpe Diem, Plan B, and I Dare. What I have on hand to read are: Crystal Soldier, Crystal Dragon, Balance of Trade, Local Custom, Scout's Progress and Fledgling.

Hah! If I don't quit borrowing books from the libraries, I'll never get back to them.

I've started reading The Prefect. It is going to be a long read. The library sent me a mass paperback which is around 560 pages of small print "tightly packed". I need good light and no pesty cats to get through it. It is a kind of space detective, crime procedural story.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2898 on: June 11, 2017, 11:36:44 AM »
That's a remarkably useful listing, Frybabe.  I see I've read all but the last three (Alliance of Equals, The Gathering Edge, and Neogenesis).  The five you've read are the best, but many of the others are almost as good.

Crystal Soldier and Crystal Dragon tell the story of Cantra yos Phelium and  Jela, ancestors of Clan Korval, their fight against the menace attempting to destroy the universe, the successful flight led by Cantra to a parallel universe and the founding of Liad.   They're good, except for the chunks of Crystal Soldier that are taken up with an intolerable description of the forming of powerful entities eventually leading to the dramliz.

Balance of Trade stands by itself, taking place sort of halfway between the original migration and the main body of stories.

I Dare ends with the appearance of young pilot Theo Waitley, asking help for a complicated problem just as Clan Korval is packing up to leave Liad, and Fledgling and its sequels are her story, a fiesty woman, with a talent for getting into complicated situations.

Local Custom is the weakest of the lot, but fills in the meeting of Anne Davis and Er Thom.

Frybabe

« Reply #2899 on: June 16, 2017, 07:01:58 AM »
I ran across Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire while working at the Library yesterday, and here this morning I find a review in my latest Unbound Worlds newsletter: http://www.unboundworlds.com/2017/06/excerpt-among-sticks-bones-seanan-mcguire/?cdi=13F0CB1F062E09D7E0534FD66B0A73BA&ref=PRH2028E2388CC9 I am not much interested in Gothic/Horror/Fantasy, but oh my, do I love the cover and title of this book.

Unbound Worlds
also has a review of The Women of Soleri by Michael Johnston. Again, I was attracted by the title. Amazon lists it as an Historical Fantasy. OOoookay. This is not something that particularly attracts me except that the reviewer said of the novel, that the author used "Ancient Egyptian mythology and the Shakespeare play King Lear" as the basis for the novel.  http://www.unboundworlds.com/2017/06/the-women-of-soleri-inside-look-at-michael-johnston-new-novel/?cdi=13F0CB1F062E09D7E0534FD66B0A73BA&ref=PRH2028E2388CC9

These new fantasy offerings brought to mind our former Senior Learn friend, Steph. I wonder if anyone had kept in contact with her and wonder how she is doing.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2900 on: June 16, 2017, 07:10:41 AM »
I thought of Steph too, when we were talking about the Liaden series--a favorite if hers.  I miss her, but haven't kept in touch.

Those two links didn't work for me--rejected by my system.

Frybabe

« Reply #2901 on: June 16, 2017, 11:07:30 AM »
Try this Pat. http://www.unboundworlds.com/category/books/ You can scroll down to find the reviews (and an excerpt from Women of Soleri on the two books I mentions as well as others.

Frybabe

« Reply #2902 on: June 16, 2017, 11:34:00 AM »
The Prefect is strange, or more precisely,  the environments and the "people" are often surreal.

I am also in the middle of Outsystem by M. D. Cooper which has its own version of bizarre in places. This is also primarily an investigative story centered around incidents which are meant to slow down or stop a colony ship from being completed. The main character is a security officer who was hired to stop the perpetrators. The incidents include an attempt to blow up the ship, viral attacks on ships AI, cargo being stolen or destroyed, and attempted kidnapping or assassination.

Both books are okay enough to keep reading.