Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 357773 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2009, 09:33:54 AM »

Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Steph

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2009, 09:37:24 AM »
Lamas , it was.. Oh me, I loved the Prisoner and The original Avengers with Diana.. Also liked Secret Agent Man.. Bring back the old stuff. We have recently found a station that shows Fraser in the early evening and are rewatching it.. Gentle and funny..
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 10:14:50 AM »
  Another "Avengers" fan here.  I was so disappointed when that series was dropped.  I imagine, tho', that good actors do want a change of character after a while.
   What was that series...KXY?...that ran on the broadcast channels for a couple of years, and then was transferred/sold to one of the cable channels. Unfortunately, we did not have cable at that time, so we were just out of luck.
I was enjoying that one very much.  We have cable now, and re-runs are still available, but I would be lost going into it completely out of sequence.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »
I feel like that about Battlestar Galactica.. Watched the original space opera and loved it.. Not as much as Star Trek, but still.. I guess my heart is always firm with Jean Luc.. Ah.. the man who knew where to go and who to talk to..

Babi

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2009, 10:17:13 AM »
Ah, Jean Luc was the ultimate, consummate starship captain, was he not? 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2009, 09:06:24 AM »
Jean Luc as my personal starship captain for sure. I have also seen him in several other things and consider him a fine fine actor indeed.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2009, 03:03:51 PM »
"  isn't he the one with the you look MAHVELOUS DAHLING?" Isn't that Billy Crystal?

Steph

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2009, 12:52:51 PM »
Billy Crystal is the Mahhvelous Dahling line.

Babi

« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2009, 08:56:03 AM »
I'm starting "Princeps Fury", the new Jim Butcher book, today.  Yay!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2009, 07:21:59 AM »
Joan K and Stephanie, on the You look Mahvelous,  Dahling, Billy Crystal was making fun of Fernando Lamas:

http://books.google.com/books?id=cKaGNTGFbvoC&pg=PA286&lpg=PA286&dq=You+look+MAHVELOUS+DAHLING+Fernando+Lamas&source=bl&ots=xP7EExDDVb&sig=3n62vvvjuZxtLlyBiKkFTIykIzE&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

http://www.crimefilenews.com/2008/10/sarah-palins-wardrobesarah-dahling-you.html

http://drkblog.com/persuasion/making-sense-of-speechmaking-how-you-look

I remember when he first said it, it was definitely about Lamas, the whole original schtick. Then it got to be a trademark and people forgot what it was about.

Many  sites citing same. Sites citing same, sounds like she sells sea shells.  :)

Steph

« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2009, 09:25:32 AM »
Yes, I thought it was Lamas, who was also the one who kept marrying different people including ( I think) Esther Williams).

Babi

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2009, 09:37:50 AM »
  I have started "Princeps Fury", by Jim Butcher, to my great satisfaction.  The book was late coming out and it's been a long time since I read the previous issue in the series.  It took a few pages for me to identify and remember some of the characters, but it's all coming back now.  One hallmark of the series remains unchanged;  the enemy always greatly outnumbers the heroes of Alera.  And they're twice as big, too.   ::)

Steph

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 09:26:53 AM »
Ah Babi, I do love that last line.. Villains twice as big.. Hmm.
I have a new Terry Pratchett on hand and can hardly keep my hands off. He does strike my sense of humor..

Steph

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »
Just finished a Pern novel by both of the McCaffreys. It covers an illness ( like Flu) and its spread. Now this one I liked.. Not so much war type things. I think Todd is finally getting into what his mother was all about.

Babi

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
I agree, Stephanie.  The Tood McCaffrey books have gotten better, and I'm reading them now as quick as I find them.

I love Terry Pratchett, too.  I'm not kidding about the monsters in the Codex Alera series being huge, though.  They are...and they always seem impossible to defeat.  But, of course, our heroes manage.  In spite of this all too common trait, I do love the series.

EvelynMC

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »
Hi everyone,

I think I would like a change from always reading Mysteries (not that I would ever give them up) and Science Fiction/Fantasy seems interesting. I used to read a lot of Science Fiction and then somehow got away from it.  I have always enjoyed Fantasy.

Any recommendations to get me started?

Evelyn

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2009, 09:52:35 PM »
Welcome, Evelyn!  Sci-fi/fantasy and mysteries definitely go together--I like both.  For recommending new books, it would help to know what kind of thing you like.  Tell us what you used to read, and if you think you would still like that sort of thing or want to take a new direction.  I see you like P. D. James--I like her too, haven't yet read "the Private Patient", but have read everything else--and don't care for gore.  If you want really funny British style humor Terry Pratchett is good.  Connie Willis is funny too.  Sharon Lee and Steve Miller have written a very addictive 5 book series of extremely high quality space opera with a lot of personality and sociology thrown in.  Orson Scott Card is good--Ender's Game is the one to start with.  Anne McCaffrey is good.

Give us some clues, and one or another of us will make suggestions and recommend which of an author's books to start with.

EvelynMC

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2009, 01:06:34 PM »
Thanks, Pat.  I'm going to the library today and will look up some of the authors and books you recommended.

I read Sci-Fi so long ago, I have no idea who the authors were. 

As a matter of fact, I can never remember author's names.  I just started making book/author lists in the last year or so when I realized how helpful they would be.

I am on the wait list at the library for "The Private Patient", I'm 13th on the list as of last Sunday.  Now P.D. James is an author whose name I have always remembered.  I started reading her books many years ago and have re-read some of them many times.

I have always enjoyed fantasy, but of course cannot remember which books I've already read. So many times I end up bringing repeats home. I would like to blame it on age, but I have always been this way....

I'm off to my favorite place, the library.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2009, 04:47:49 PM »
To Pat's excellent list, EVELYN, I would hasten to add the name Lois McMaster Bujold.  She has written such great, most enjoyable books.  I heartily endorse all those Pat mentioned; they are tops.

EvelynMC

« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2009, 04:11:12 PM »
I went to the library on Friday and all the Sci-fi books were paper back and in tiny print.  There were just a few hard cover books.--- I went to the Large Print section and there were six very old dog eared books.

So, I am going to the few used book stores that we have in this town and see what's on offer.

Evidently there are not many sci-fi fans in this town and those must be young people with very good eyes.

I'll keep looking. 

Thanks for the authors names.

Evelyn

Steph

« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2009, 06:42:51 PM »
Generally you need a used book store that specializes in science fiction, since many readers never ever trade their stuff..
If its fantasy you want,, Anne McCaffrey and her son Tod.. She is getting older and he is now writing with her.
If its vampire type stuff.. Charlaine Harris is super.. She has a sense of humor combined with interesting characters..
classic.. Cant beat Robert Heinlen..
I am not fond of nuts and bolt stuff, but I am sure that somebody on her is..
Terry Pratchett is probably the funniest person imaginable. Once you meet Death, you will never be the same..

EvelynMC

« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2009, 07:04:50 PM »
Thanks, Steph. I appreciate the info.

Evelyn

Babi

« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2009, 09:23:03 AM »
Interesting.  My library has a good-sized SF section and is always getting more SF books in. I guess I assumed it was popular elsewhere.  MY biggest complaint is that all too often they don't have all the books in a series. Books 2 & 3, but not #1. That sort of thing.

I have enjoyed most of the authors mentioned here, but I've never cared for Heinlein.  There is something about his viewpoint or attitude that I simply dislike.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2009, 12:20:45 PM »
Babi, you may remember that we had a spirited discussion about Heinlein on the former site.  Almost no one was neutral--they either liked him a lot or hated him.

Babi

« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2009, 08:53:24 AM »
You're right, PAT.  I had forgotten that.  It also reminds me that a friend and I got into a 'heated' discussion on the same subject.  She demanded that I give her sound reasons for not liking Heinlein, but didn't like any of my answers. I finally had to tell her that I was entitled to my own opinions and did not have to justify them.

Steph

« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2009, 10:11:37 AM »
Heinlin was patronizing about women. No idea why.. He made them important in his books, but  in the end, it was the males who seem to be the active parties. I liked him when I was younger, because he h ad a gift for a story that sort of sweeps you along..I like alternate worlds mostly, so most of my favorites tend to be there.

Alexan

« Reply #66 on: February 05, 2009, 11:43:14 PM »
Terry Pratchett is as Steph says  the funniest person imaginable.   I received a copy of "The Wit and Wisdom of Disc World" as a Christmas present.    This contains some of the funniest quotes from many of his books.
From "Small Gods"
" 'My grandmother used to give me a thrashing every morning because I would certainly do something to deserve it during the day.' said Brutha."

Witches Abroad (one of my favourite books).
From Maskerade:
"'It's too draughty on broomsticks this time of year, Esme.  The breeze gets into places I wouldn't dream of talking about.'
'Really?  Can't imagine where those'd be, then.' "

Steph

« Reply #67 on: February 06, 2009, 07:54:20 AM »
Alexan.. you did make me laugh. I love the witches. They are very funny and down to earth.. Although Death is still my favorite character.. His adopted daughter is funny as well.
I read the first of the Stephenie Meyer books..Twilight. I think she does an excellent job of protraying a teen.. The new school and feelings of the girl are excellent. The vampires.. Hmm. I dont really get them. Such an odd mixture of good , bad and indifferent.. I picked up the third at some thrift shop, but still have not run on the second one..
I am going to try Eragon.. But Anne McCaffreys dragons are a love of mine.

Alexan

« Reply #68 on: February 06, 2009, 10:03:53 AM »
Reaper man -

Death is missing - presumed ...... er  .....gone.   Which leads to the kind of chaos you always get when an important public service is withdrawn.

Meanwhile, on a little farm, far, far, away, a tall dark stranger is turning out to be really good with a scythe.   There's a harvest to be gathered .......

Alexan

« Reply #69 on: February 06, 2009, 10:07:30 AM »
Steph - we seem to have a lot in common - I love those dragons too.   Haven't read any of these books in a while.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #70 on: February 06, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »
Joyce, you just sold a copy of 'Wit and Wisdom", to me.

Here's a challenge for the Terry Pratchett fans (I'm not just playing games, I really want your opinion).  All of you know my twin sister, JoanK.  She doesn't have many faults, but one of them is she doesn't care much for Science Fiction.  But I keep reading her funny bits from Pratchett, and now she thinks she'd like to try him.

Where should she start?  The Witches?  Death?  Probably not the Guards, though I'm rather partial to them.  I sort of thought "Maskerade" would be good, but I'd love suggestions.

Alexan

« Reply #71 on: February 06, 2009, 05:53:24 PM »
PatH - my favourite is definitely "Witches Abroad."
"Magrat has adopted trousers as practical wear for travelling by broomstick.

'I don't 'old with it,' said Granny Weatherwax, 'everybody can see her legs.'

'No they can't,' said Nanny, 'the reason being, the material is in the way.'

'Yes, but they can see where her legs are.' said Granny Weatherwax.

'That's silly.   That's like saying everyone is naked under their clothes.' said Magrat.

'Magrat Garlick, may you be forgiven,' said Granny Weatherwax.

'Well it's true!'

'I'm not,' said Granny flatly, 'I've got three vests on.' "

P.S. - Do I get commission??

Babi

« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2009, 09:43:14 AM »
I love the quote, ALEXAN.  I must have missed the book about Death and an adopted daughter, tho'.  Can anyone tell me which one that is?

PAT, in this case it might be best to introduce Pratchett to Joan with one of his best.  Much as I hate to admit it, there were one or two of his books that simply weren't up to par.  I particularly have in mind the one about movie-making, but I forget the title at the moment. But most of the books are so good I wish I owned them instead of the library.

Steph

« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2009, 01:03:05 PM »
I think the witches are the best place to start. Death or Mort is sort of an acquired taste. I love the guard, but you have to really start at the beginning with them or it gets quite confusing. Like you,, the movie was not up to his general standards, but read it anyway.

Alexan

« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2009, 01:19:06 PM »
Can't find anything about an adopted daughter:
But did find a quote in Mort:
" 'I wasn't cut out to be a father, and certainly not a grandad.   I haven't got the right kind of knees.' "

Steph

« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2009, 09:37:47 AM »
Ah Yes, at some point, Death acquires an adopted daughter.. Quite by accident.. Very funny story indeed. He also of course has the  butler, who does literally everything. They even have a swing for the little girl, who grows up and then the fun begins.

Alexan

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2009, 05:52:08 PM »
Steph: Must try to find that one with adopted daughter!

Alexan

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »
Steph: found something:  Ysabel - adopted daughter
As a child, Ysabell had been rescued from death by, ironically, Death himself (probably in a rare moment of sentimentality). When she was 16, Death brought her into his own realm outside of time and space, where she lived as his adopted daughter.

During all that time, Ysabell didn't grow old, as nothing ages in Death's realm. But living in this stale realm, with only Death and Albert as companions, was boring her a lot. The situation changed when Mort was appointed Death's apprentice.

Initially Mort and Ysabell didn't like each other, but after Ysabell helped Mort out of the mess he had created with Princess Keli, they fell in love with each other and finally got married. Death released them both from his realm and they became the Duke and Duchess of Sto Helit. Susan is their only child.

After they left Death's realm, their immortality was taken away as well, and they both died in an accident some 16 years later. During their last moments Death offered to bring them to his Domain for them to continue their life, but was turned down because they both decided it wouldn't be truly living, but just postponing their death.

P.S.  Albert is the butler

P.P.S. At the end of "Mort" Mort marries Ysabel and they become Duke and Duchess of ........  somewhere??????????   They have a daughter - Susan - that's where Death refers to his "knees"

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2009, 07:52:03 PM »
I can see it's too long since I reread "Mort".  All this Pratchett reminiscing has led me to some rereading (never mind that I haven't read them all yet, I'm going with what's at hand) and the one that came to hand was "Monstrous Regiment".  My favorite line--"it must be the socks".  Does anyone recognize the quotation in the title?  It's sort of a spoiler, but amusing.

Steph

« Reply #79 on: February 09, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »
I could not decide if Pratchett was playing with my head or not in Monstrous Regiment.. I agree it is a quote and remembered the end, but dont know where it came from. That is a real favorite of mine.
Mort is one that is very funny and makes Death into one of my favorite characters.. The mouse who is their version of death is also well done..