Author Topic: Science Fiction / Fantasy  (Read 357770 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: Science Fiction / Fantasy
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2009, 08:46:41 AM »
Science Fiction / Fantasy

__________________ Welcome to the whole universe!  This is where we gather to share our experiences in science fiction and fantasy.  We like everything, from Gregory Benford to Stephanie Meyer—hard science to magic and fantasy.

Come in, sit down with us, and tell us what you are reading or have read, what you like or dislike.

Links:
Fantastic Fiction, bibliographies of 15,000 authors

Discussion Leader:  PatH

Babi

« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »
Alexan, thanks so much for identifying "Mort" as the title of the book. I haven't seen that one in our library, but I'll dig it up from somewhere.
  I've read "The Monstrous Regiment", and it took me a bit to catch on. I don't recognize a quotation, but I'll dig that up, too, if I can.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2009, 12:23:52 PM »
Spoiler--don't read this if you haven't read "Monstrous Regiment"

It's John Knox, the Scottish religious reformer.  He didn't approve of women rulers, and in 1586-8 published a tract "First Blast of the Trumpet against the Monstrous Regiment (meaning rule) of Women".  He meant Mary of Guise, regent of Scotland, and Queen Mary of England.  About then Elizabeth I became queen.  She was pretty mad at him, and he never published his "Second Blast", though he continued his other reforms.

Steph

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2009, 08:21:55 AM »
Pat, Thanks for where the quote came from. The book was a joy. I rooted around in my to be read basket. I h ave two Terry Pratchetts that were in there. One a new book and the other from a used book store and an old one.. Moved them up to the top.. I do need a good laugh
Stephanie and assorted corgi

hats

« Reply #84 on: February 11, 2009, 12:12:27 PM »
Hi Ginny and all,

I am sooooo proud of myself. I am beginning to really enjoy Fantasy. I just finished "Stardust" by Neil Gaiman. The book is wonderful. It's like a fairy tale: magic, witches, instead of mushrooms there are mushrumps, etc. It's so much fun. Never say what you won't read. :o

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

Never say what you won't read.

Hi, Hats.  It's great you found a Fantasy book you like.  Niel Gaiman's books cover a wide range.  At one end, his children's story "The Graveyard Book" just won the Newberry Prize (it's about an orphan being raised by ghosts) and the movie "Coraline" is based on a book of his.  At the other end, "American Gods" is full of foul language and dreary situations, and I gave up on it.  And there's a lot in between, as you've discovered.  My SIL likes him a lot.

hats

« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2009, 07:57:38 AM »
Hi Pat H and all,

Thanks for giving me an alert about one of those titles.

Steph

« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2009, 08:53:35 AM »
I started the latest Terry Pratchett.. It is about Moist and his adventures with the mint and the state bank.. He is zinging bankers in general and money in particular. Funny funny man.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2009, 04:44:25 PM »
Pat, in her quest to get me to like science fiction, steered me to "Bellwether" by Connie Willis. It is absolutely hilarious -- I recommend it to anyone who has ever worked in a beurocracy, anyone who has ever noticed "fads" or anyone at all.

It's not a good test, however, since it isn't really science fiction. Well, on second thought, maybe the ending puts it into the realm of sci-fi. It is full of stories about scientists. And the book gives a glorious justification for my messy, disorganized ways. (I'll bet Willis is a messy person).

Steph

« Reply #89 on: February 13, 2009, 07:51:49 AM »
I like Connie Willis. She is a funny writer. Another science fiction, but not always writer is Elizabeth Ann Scarborough. She writes a good deal of fantasy, but was also a nurse in Viet Nam and has written some fiction using that part of her life.

Babi

« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2009, 08:55:33 AM »
Goody! Some more books to check my library for.  (I don't know why I'm so pleased. I just started a volume that is really four Salvatore books and I already have a list of books in my purse for my trip to the library today. You would think I had all the time in the world to do nothing but read!  Not to mention how stiff I can get if I sit too long!)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Steph

« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2009, 07:43:12 PM »
I seem to be at the point, where sitting too long is not good for my back and hips..So I alternate reading with the WII and the gym and the computer. I even occasionally get struck with the urge to do houswork, But that passes if I sit quietly for a bit.

Alexan

« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »
Haven't been reading much sci fi recently - have to get back to it.   Just popping in to see what is happening.
Steph:   Your comment about housework reminded me of this:

http://usera.ImageCave.com/Alexan/cleanhouse.jpg

Babi

« Reply #93 on: February 14, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »
I even occasionally get struck with the urge to do houswork, But that passes if I sit quietly for a bit
.   LOL 

Steph

« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2009, 11:25:12 AM »
I am really enjoying the Terry Pratchett on Money, banks, finance, the Lavish family ( I think I know those guys) and Moist.. I can see the golems are in there as well, along with Moist lady friend who is a hoot.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #95 on: February 15, 2009, 06:59:09 PM »
STEPH, ALEXAN: right on!

Steph

« Reply #96 on: February 17, 2009, 09:21:58 AM »
Making Money.. Since Terry is ill and knows this might have been the last book. He has everyone but the witches in it thus far. Death made an early visit. The guard is around.. the sausage dealer who always makes me laugh. Moist and an IGOR.. My favorite characters are often the Igors.. Shades of Frankenstine...

Alexan

« Reply #97 on: February 17, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »
Just found this interesting book -

Blood and Ice by Robert Masello

"Blood and Ice is a riotous mix of history, cryogenics, vampirism, and a chilling adventure set in the Antarctic."

Seems to combine mystery and Sci Fi

I am going to see if I can get it from my library.

Babi

« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
:Blood and Ice does sound interesting, Alexan, but I will have to wait until warmer weather to read anything in a setting of Antarctic ice. (shiver)   :-X

Steph

« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:50 PM »
Two pages from finishing Making Money. As always he manages to hold you until the very end. Moist is now being contemplates for Tax commissioner. That should be a wonderful experience.

Alexan

« Reply #100 on: February 19, 2009, 01:20:08 AM »
Just tried to get a copy of "Blood and Ice" from my library - it must be very new as they don't even have this author on their catalogue.    Thought that was how you spell 'catalogue', but it showing an error???  I found it in a e-newsletter from Random House called "Blood on the page".   This is a new newsletter just recently out.   

Alexan

« Reply #101 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:22 AM »
Just checked Amazon - Blood and Ice will be available Feb.24/09.   the name is Robert Masello - I had the wrong spelling.  That's why it's not in my library.   There are other books by Robert Masello, but my library doesn't seem to even have this author.   Got to check up on it.

Alexan

« Reply #102 on: February 19, 2009, 01:50:10 AM »

Babi

« Reply #103 on: February 19, 2009, 08:45:01 AM »
Alexan, I think 'catalogue' is the English spelling; 'catalog' is the American version.  The 'English' word that looks oddest to me is 'rase' instead of 'raze'.
Actually, I suppose the English spelling is more reasonable, since it appears to come from the same root as 'erase', but it always looks wrong to me.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #104 on: February 19, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »
My dictionary allows "catalogue", even puts it before "catalog", but my spell checker doesn't agree.

Alexan

« Reply #105 on: February 19, 2009, 01:32:47 PM »
I use the English spelling of words - honour, splendour etc. - these show as underlined in red.   I also use the "s" and not the "Z" (pronounced as 'zed' to me not 'zee).

Catalogue comes to my mind first - not catalog - which the spell check shows catalogue in red and catalog as being correct.

Steph

« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2009, 07:52:43 AM »
I spell in many different ways. I am a genealogist and I became interested in spelling when I started reading old documents and realized that spelling was certainly optional for many years.

Babi

« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2009, 08:59:41 AM »
Optional, and sometimes downright weird!   :o   :-\

Steph

« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2009, 10:21:01 AM »
I actually read an article by a genealogist, that talked about styles in spelling. It seems that in the early 1800's young ladies had a fad for misspelling certain types of words and it was considered very refined.. So.. life was certainly different. I have ancestors who started out with one name and then later changed it to something considered refined as well.. I have one whos name was Bata( Dutch). In later life, she  became Bathsheba.. Who knows why.

Babi

« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2009, 09:43:26 AM »
Perhaps it made her feel exotic and adventurous, Steph.  Secret longings to escape the dull routine... ::)   ;)

Steph

« Reply #110 on: February 23, 2009, 07:57:19 AM »
According to several writings on the period.. The Dutch in upstate New York decided in the mid to late 1700's to become more English.. They started trying to learn the language (Dutch was still the primary language there until mid 1800's). I gather that the name Bathsheba was considered an elegant name from the bible. Her husband who was Gerardus did not anglify his name..

Babi

« Reply #111 on: February 23, 2009, 10:21:49 AM »
I am still reading, from time to time, J. A. Salvatore's Drizzt do Urden series, but he is really beginning to annoy me.  The major theme of the book is that the black drow (black elf) fights an ongoing battle against prejudice because the black elves from Underdark are evil! 
   At the same time, Salvatore expresses prejudices constantly throughout his books.  Goblins are all dirty and stupid; in fact 'goblin' is usually expressed as 'stupid goblin'.  For that matter, all black drows other than Drizzt have 'evil' smiles!  (No great wonder people were/are hostile toward Drizzt.  Any one in his right mind would be, considering that every time drows came to the surface they murdered everyone in sight.)  Salvatore is not only inconsistent, he is being boringly repetitious about it.
  If I didn't like Drizzt, Bruenor and Cattie-Brie so much, I'd drop the whole thing.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48:01 AM »
Fair warning, Babi.

Steph

« Reply #113 on: February 25, 2009, 01:50:50 PM »
Trying to remember. I think the Salvatore, that I remember was something like Tea with the Black Dragon. Does that sound right???

Babi

« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2009, 08:27:57 AM »
I really don't know, Steph.  I got started with the Drizzt do Urden series, and apparently that goes on forever.  I think he's written about fifteen of those so far.  Whether I will read all of them is another question.

bookworm

• Notes from Camp Swampy
« Reply #115 on: February 28, 2009, 09:02:08 PM »
Hi Everyone. I joined awhile back but didn't participate. Now that I'm retired from the day job I have more time to devote to reading and writing. I also review for "Romantic Times Bookreviews" magazine. I read most anything but my first love is sci-fi. I recently read a review on a blog of a book I reviewed in 2007 - ROLLBACK by  Robert J. Sawyer. They didn't like it as much as I did. I was wondering if anyone read it and what you thought. It's a story about alien contact, rejuvenation and love. It poses a fascinating what if - can love survive if one partner is restored to youth while the other remains aged? Gail

Steph

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
Interesting premise. I will try and catch up with the book.

Babi

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »
Interesting question, indeed, BOOKWORM.  My own immediate reaction is that the person who remains aged (we can identify with that one) would not be able to continue with such a change in the relationship.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
Hi, bookworm, it's good to see you.  Tell us more.

No, I never heard of "Rollback", but I'll look for it.  I've gotten a lot of good suggestions from my fellow fans here.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2009, 10:44:16 AM »
A neighbor recently recommended Neal Stephenson to me.  My SIL also likes him, so I got one of his books.  I'll report on it when I've read it.

Has anyone else read him?