Archives & Readers' Guides > Old Discussions

Mystery Corner

(1/203) > >>

ClassicsAdmin:

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!
Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

JoanK:
Welcome, welcome, all mystery lovers. It’s great to have a mystery corner, where we can discuss the mysteries we love with friends old and new. Here we just come in whenever we feel like it and talk about the mysteries we’re reading: share impressions with others who have read them, and give new reading ideas to those who haven’t.

Our leader, Bill, is leading the month-long in-depth discussion of “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, the first such discussion on our new site. Conan Doyle and Sherlock Holmes lead the way again, as they have often done in the mystery genre. Look for the link in the heading above.

Meanwhile, I’m holding the fort til he gets back. Did any of you get some new mysteries for Christmas? Which are deliciously mysterious and which should be shot on the spot? I have a bunch of new (to me) authors on my “to read” pile, and will let you know if there are any real “finds”. What have YOU discovered?

maryz:
Isn't it wonderful to find old/new friends???   ;D

pedln:
Hi JoanK & MaryZ. Yes, it is.  I’m really glad to see this site open, as this is where you can always find good ideas for new  mysteries to read, as well as comments about unread and not-so-new.

I got a Jonathan Kellerman (Alex Delaware) for Christmas – Bones, which is one of his later ones. I have not read many of his books.  His Obsession is also on my shelf, unread.  Guess I’d better read that one first.

And I also got Blind Submission, a first novel by Debra Ginsberg,  which combines “intrigue, romance, and a touch of mystery.”  It is about the publishing industry and a mysterious manuscript.   She has written non-fiction, including Waiting: the true confessions of a waitress.

My f2f group picked 2009  titles last month and will read an early J. A. Jance, Desert Heat, her first in the Joanna Brady series.  I have not kept up with all of her later titles, but have always liked Joanna Brady and the J.P. Beaumont series.  Hasn’t she started another series too – Ali Reynolds?

This same f2f group will also read Sinners and Saints by Eileen Dreyer, another author that I’m unfamiliar with.  We wanted a holiday mystery for our December read and picked Midnight Clear by Kathy Trocheck, no. 7 in the Callahan Garrity series.  My opinion – skip that one.  It left most of us cold.

maryz:
I'm hurrying to finish J.A.Jance's 2008 Cruel Intent - an Ali Reynolds story.  We're heading out of town midmorning, and I have to get this back to the library on the way out of town.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version