Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 148730 times)

Steph

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #1000 on: September 13, 2009, 12:52:13 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I spent 10 years just north of Boston in Bedford, Ma.. Yes, the cabs routes are quite clear and work.. Great fun to explore the differeent places that Carlotta goes.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #1001 on: September 13, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »
YEs, I've read all of Leon's books!

Steph

« Reply #1002 on: September 14, 2009, 07:42:11 AM »
I hav e never been able to finish a Donna Leon book. Just does not grab me. Everyone loves them.. sigh.

Babi

« Reply #1003 on: September 14, 2009, 09:17:29 AM »
 I'll line up on your side, STEPH. I can't really stir up any enthusiasm about Bruno.
   I'm currently reading "Language of the Bees", one of the Mary Russell/Sherlock Holmes series.  It is serving as an alternate, relaxing change
of pace while reading the non-fiction "The Woman Who Defied Kings".
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #1004 on: September 14, 2009, 06:54:43 PM »
Different strokes for different folks.  I really enjoy Donna Leon's books.  Still have lots of hers left to read.

Now I'm reading my first Laura Lippman, for my f2f group -- The Power of Three -- about a shooting at a high school.  I'm assuming Lippman's works are stand alones -- not a series? This is one that is hard to put down.  It's kind of trendy, lots of references to popular culture, but the author is right on in many of her assessments --  shown in small asides of both people and things. An example, one character, daughter of a farmer, thinks about the farming families she knows and realizes that not one of them does only farming for a living.  This really has nothing to do with the focus of the story, but is just an example of background that Lippman includes.

Judy Laird -- I'm glad to see you here.  How is life at Fairwinds treating you?

Johanz4

« Reply #1005 on: September 14, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »
Yes, I love Shirley Rousseau Murphy books also. always check for new ones.  my library has an odd way of stocking new books. unless the title says somewhere a mystery, they stock them in novels or such.  the section labeled mysteries contain older books but i check them anyway.  the large print section i check out first. easy on the eyes.

i read some other books on talking cats, can't remember the author.  if i come across it i will post it.

i find it easier to just check out the shelves rather than look for a certain author.  i never could find some of the authors we listed on the old seniornet so now i don't waste time, check everything.

tomorrow i go to the library and hope for the best.

has anyone read A. C. McKevett books.  i enjoy them mostly about baking with recipes.  i guess you call them the cozy type but i find them enjoyable.  relaxing.

JO

Johanz4

« Reply #1006 on: September 14, 2009, 09:15:04 PM »
ove the weekend, i wondered now that we hav e a new site, is there any thought to another trip.  i could not make the one in NYC but if another is planned, i would attend.

perhaps another location?  what are your thoughts.?

JOhanz    ??? :)

mabel1015j

« Reply #1007 on: September 14, 2009, 11:32:40 PM »
Steph - was the actress you were thinking of who plays Brooklyn characters Marisa Tomei? .......something made me think of her today and i tho't maybe she was the person you were thinking of................jean

Steph

« Reply #1008 on: September 15, 2009, 08:34:08 AM »
Yes,,, Marisa is the one. She is so perfect for a Jersey girl..
Laura Lippman.. writes two different types. She has stand alones and then she does a series on Tess ( last name slips me).She was once a reporter for the paper, but now does p.i. work. They are quite different. I like both, but am not overfond of Tess's boyfriends. The series should be read in order.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1009 on: September 15, 2009, 06:21:59 PM »
I like Laura Lippman, too. Especially the Tess Moynahan books. Fantastic fiction doesn't list a new one coming out, only a republishing of an old one.

I agree they should be read in oprder if possible. FF gives the order below:
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/l/laura-lippman/

The first one is "Baltimore Blues". Her books are full of Baltimore: she obviously has a deep love for the city and the Maryland countryside. Although I lived in Maryland for years, I rarely visited Baltimore. But it definately has something. Everyone I ever met who was from there loved it. And every Baltimore writer that I know of, celebrates the city in his writing. (I don't know about Edgar Allen Poe; Baltimore claims him because he died and is buried there, but he wasn't really a Baltimore writer. But Matthew Pearl's detective story about Poe is a brilliant picture of Baltimore before the Civil War).

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
« Reply #1010 on: September 16, 2009, 07:03:00 AM »
Time to move to a new discussion area....

See you there!!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=807.msg37006#msg37006