Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 148790 times)

maeve

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2009, 01:21:06 PM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

Yes, Manny did the puzzles.  A note in the front of the book says he played the part of the killer in Stalking the Puzzle Lady and victim in You have the right to remain Puzzled.

I enjoyed the book and will try to get some more from the library.

MaryE

LarryHanna

« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2009, 09:46:29 AM »
I just started Margaret Truman's "Murder Inside the Beltway", which I believe may be her last book since she passed away at the age of 83 about a year ago.  I looked her up on Wikipedia and she wrote 23 books in the Capital Crimes series.  I have only read one or two of her other books.

Recently I read the new Vince Flynn book called "Extreme Measure".  I think I have read about all of his books as he is a good writer and his character is a CIA agent. 
LarryBIG BOX

Steph

« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2009, 10:36:00 AM »
Still reading the Yiddish Policeman story by Chabon.. Not a straightforward writer at all. I honestly think I need a scorecard and possibly a yiddish dictionary.. Hmm. Still it is interesting.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2009, 10:40:21 AM »
I've made an addition to my list of the new Parnell Hall puzzle mystery and the new Margaret Truman.  I've enjoyed her books in the past.  I don't believe I've ever read any of Vince Flynn or Chabon. 

Thanks for the suggestions...

jane

mabel1015j

« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2009, 03:23:12 PM »
I've enjoyed the Truman mysteries and the Elliot Roosevelt mysteries - his are especially fun because i'm always wondering if the "real" characters he protrays were really like the characters in his books - re: Churchill, Joe Kennedy, ER, - there was a really good one that portrayed a young Ensign JFK...............jean

Zulema

« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2009, 03:47:10 PM »
Hi, people!

First, Manny last name is Nosowsky, and his puzzles were not easy at all generally, very good themeless with very few black squares.

Now, I think we were all disappointed at Mary Kelly's behavior in the Venice book, but Langton has written wonderful books, and of course, she made Mary do that.  Elizabeth George's Careless in Red is a Linley and Havers book and a relief from the previous two.  It's different and not depressing  I read the one where you know who gets shot, and that one was heavy reading before that happens, and the next, What Came Before He shot Her, I simply could not read.  It's a social treatise of the lower depths, horrendously depressing. 

I have just read The Likeness, by Tana French, fascinating. I couldn't put it down, and it's a big book which I read in three days.  Takes place in Ireland  It could be a suspense book where you worry every minute, and I wouldn't like that, but it starts with a Prologue which tells one she survived.  Very well written.   

peace42

« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2009, 11:57:46 PM »
didn't know that Pronzini and Muller co-authored a book; will have to check it out. And...I too miss Margaret Truman. Found one more book to add to my long list that I posted earlier: Shell Game by Sarah R. Shaber, a Professor Simon Shaw Mystery. Shaw is a Professor and forensic historian. Nothing exciting about this book, it just goes along it's way but I did like it. Professor gets involved in solving the death of a colleague.
Just started one titled Fleshmarket Alley by Ian Rankin. The title makes it sound much more provacative than it is! Apparently Rankin is the #1 Mystery in Britian...says so right on the jacket! first of his I've read...like many British stuff, it just goes along, building little by little.  It's a big book, 561 pages in paperback, so I'll be a while. I'm liking it so far. Anyone read any of his stuff? He has a long list of books, with Detective John Rebus. What a name to choose for a detective! will keep reading and let you know.
I post here and I keep smiling because it is just so good to be able to do so.
Sleep well everyone...ok to fall asleep with that book resting on your chest!
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

Steph

« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2009, 08:04:59 AM »
I believe that Pronzoni and Muller are married to each other.. Could be wrong of course.
Still struggling along with Chabon.
Have lots of books to read. Birthday and Christmas and my swap club keeps me in good shape.. Plus two gift certificates to Amazon.. hooray

hats

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2009, 05:59:58 AM »
I finished "Murder And The First Lady" by Elliott Roosevelt last night. I loved every word of it. I would like to read the whole series. There are other famous political figures in the book too: Lyndon Johnson, Lady Bird, Herbert Hoover, President Taft's son is mentioned. One name I didn't recognize is Martin Dies. I think he headed the Committee of UnAmerican Activities. His name completely went over my head.

Steph

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2009, 01:21:24 PM »
Hats, never heard of him either. I read at least one or two of theElliot Roosevelt stuff. I think I liked Margaret Truman more.  Funny, her Dad had his heart on her being a singer, but in the end, she was a very special detective story writer and got all sorts of acclaim for it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2009, 02:32:02 PM »
Martin Dies was a US Congressman from Texas - and on the USHouse version of the UnAmerican Activities Committee.  Here's a link....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Dies,_Jr.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mabel1015j

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »
I have read all of Janet Evanovich's 14 books and have laughed out loud many, many times while reading them, but a friend gave me the 14th one on cd's and i have been listening to them in the car. I have been laughing on the way to the bank, on the way to the yarn store, on the way to the grocery store, to pick up my grandson at school - have to turn it off then, some of the language is too old for a six-yr-old.................there is just something much funnier about hearing the book read. The reader is excellent and has about 8 voices she uses for all the characters................I figure i'm adding years to my life from all the laughing i'm doing..............."reading" can be beneficial in so many ways............  ;) ..................jean

hats

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
Thank you, Maryz.

mabel1015j

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2009, 03:16:46 PM »
let me test it and see if i did it right.............o.k.!.................i wasn't sure what was going to happen, but it worked......................Oh! That's kind of eerie, it shows up everyplace.......................aaaggghhh!....................jean

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
Hi, Hats!

Jean, it does seem like magic doesn't it?!?  You're lookin' good, though! ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2009, 07:31:43 PM »
Zulema: thanks for the correction on Manny's name: I can't even spell my own name, much less anyone elses.

I didn't say Manny's puzzles were "easy", just easier than some of the NYT puzzle creators. There's one guy (whose name I won't mention): if I get three words in his puzzleI think I'm a genius!!! Grrr! The puzzles are graded from easiest on Monday to hardest on Saturday, but even so, there's a lot of variation on a given day of the week. (of course, not being able to spell doesn't help).

The "puzzle lady" puzzles give clues (partly filled in grids) as you go along and the answer at the end.

Haven't struck any gold on my library picks yet. But I've got some to go.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2009, 11:06:12 PM »
I've always been a Margaret Truman fan. Don't know how I overlooked this last one -- was it published after her death?  Anyway, now I've got it on hold at the library.  Thanks for that info, Larry.

LarryHanna

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2009, 10:26:58 AM »
pedln, I think the book was published after her death as she died in January and the book was published sometime during 2008.

LarryBIG BOX

hats

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2009, 10:38:20 AM »
I can't wait to read the Margaret Truman mysteries. I have those books on my list. :)

Steph

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2009, 12:18:02 PM »
I am another Stephanie Plum fan and love to read it and then listen to it.. She is one of the few authors who make me laugh out loud. Amazing how many female authors try to copy the style, but dont quite get it right.

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2009, 01:06:01 PM »
I guess I need to give Evanovich (SP?) another try. I started one of her years ago...and just couldn't get into it.  Do I need to start with 1...or is there a better one to begin with???

jane

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2009, 01:42:16 PM »
jane, my whole family and our group at the beach LOVE Evanovich.  I've never been able to get into them either.   :-\

CubFan

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
So glad to know that I'm not alone.   I can't get into Evanovich either.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

EvelynMC

« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2009, 01:51:10 PM »
I have never been able to get into Evanovich either. Isn't it great to have a place to talk about books and our likes and dislikes.   

Evelyn

jane

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2009, 02:48:58 PM »
Whew...then, maybe, it's not me???   ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2009, 02:56:12 PM »
jane -  Well, of course not.  It couldn't possibly be US.

I've just finished a new J.A.Jance (Ali Reynolds) book.  I like Jance's books, but this is my least favorite of her three protagonists.  I wish she'd go back to one of the other two.  I've just started the 2008 David Baldacci, Divine Justice.  I do enjoy his books.

maeve

« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2009, 05:40:49 PM »
I recently reread Evanovich's One for the Money and was surprised by how violent it was.  Maybe one of her later books would be better to start with.  However, I loved them all.

MaryE

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »
I love Evanovitch, but she is violent. She knows right where my funny-bone is. But the ones that aren't about Stephanie Plum aren't nearly as good. So trying her start with a Plum.

I like the fact that she numbers them. Publishers make it hard to tell which is the first in a series, by listing books alphabetically, instead of in publishing order. I'm often reduced to looking inside the book for publishing date. (but Fantastic Fiction will tell you).

I have to catch up on Truman. Haven't read her books for years although I like them. Having lived and worked in DC most of my life, I'm sort of familiar with her settings.

I forgot to report on my f2f club's experience with "The Art Thief". Most found it too heavy, and that it dragged. But I would read another for the info about art and how art thieves work. I like books that explain some technical area.

Tina

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2009, 08:15:42 PM »
I would love to discuss The Private Patient. I just finished it and think it well worth discussing.

peace42

« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2009, 09:12:48 PM »
glad to hear that there's another Margaret Truman book to read...I've read all the Capitol mystery series and loved them all, except one...can't remember the title but she went to Cuba with this one and I just didn't care for it like I did all the others. As for Evanovich, well, I just can't get into her books. Tried a couple upon the recommendation of a former co-worker and 2 was enough. Think I'm up to date with Grafton; always felt she got better with each book but the last one kinda tested that for me; was too long, too word, too full of air between happenings! but, I await the next letter of the alphabet anyway.
Garrison Keillor on books: "they're rectangular and easier to wrap than, say, basketballs, and they're a compliment to the recipient"

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2009, 09:51:56 AM »
The Art Thief reminds of another mystery writer who isn't heavy -- Aaron Elkins.  It's been a while since I've read any by him, but one of this main characters works for the Seattle Art Museum and gets called on to solve disappearances, etc.  His other character, I believe, is an anthropologist.

I've never read an Evanovitch.  Just haven't had time.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #71 on: January 12, 2009, 10:01:12 AM »
I was so sad to hear of Tony Hillerman's death.  I loved his books.  I just finished Margaret Coel's new book"Blood Memory" which, I believe, is going to be a new series for her.  I've always enjoyed her Wind River Reservation mysteries with Father John O'Malley and Vicky Holden.

Steph

« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2009, 10:18:15 AM »
I l ove Stephanie Plum, but dont like Evanovich other stuff. Too close to romance type things, which I am not fond of.
I have never been fond of Ellis Petrers, Brother Caedfel, but have gotten a audio tape of an early one.. I hope that listening will be different. The reader is spectacular, so that helps.
I loved the reader in the early Plums,,, but they changed to someone else.. She is OK,, but does not have that hard North Jersey accent, the first reader did.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2009, 03:30:13 PM »
Tony Hillerman was a real loss. I like Coel's Wind River reservation mysteries too. What is the new one about?

I love Peters' Brother Cadfael books, (and her modern mysteries as well). I read Cadfael when I was still working and commuting on the subway (the Metro in Washington -- Hillerman has a scene where Jim Chee is in Washington, riding the Metro. Everyone is staring at him -- I can just see it: we pale desk workers staring at this lanky tanned Indian. It makes me chuckle. I would have looked up from brother Cadfael to stare).

I would start a new Cadfael with the Monday morning commute, rationing the pages so it would last the ten trips and I would find out "whodunnit" on Friday coming home from work. Gave added meaning to TGIF.

CubFan

« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
I'm about half way through Stephanie Barron's latest title A Flaw in the Blood. This is not  a Jane Austin mystery but the setting is still Victorian England - with Queen Victoria a central figure - taking place at the time of Albert's death.  One thread is women and the medical profession at that time.  This book just came out in paperback.  An interesting read.  Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2009, 09:50:39 PM »
Got to get that one!

Steph

« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2009, 08:55:40 AM »
I made a note of the Stephanie Barron. Sounds interesting. I have read most of a small series of a midwife in NY who partners with a policeman.. Set, I believe at the turn of the century. Interesting series..

mabel1015j

« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2009, 03:23:55 PM »
Someone asked about reading Evanovich's books in order, it isn't necessary, but it helps to have the background of each. I agree that her non-Plum books are not nearly as good, there's just something about the cast of characters in her "numbered" books that fit together and make for a great scenario. I read one non-numbered book that had Plum, Lulu and Grandma and had Atlantic City as a large part of the story, but not Ranger or much of the rest of the characters and it didn't hold my interest at all. I don't remember the name of the book. ......some of what appeals to me is that i live in NJ and know Trenton and the Chambersburg section and can "hear" the dialects and that makes it funnier, i guess. When Grandma Mazur is portrayed i just see Bea Arthur's mother on Golden Girls and she makes me laugh just thinking about her. .........In the first book Grandma's described as wearing spandex bike pants and high top sneakers, a la Stephanie, and that's the picture that comes to mind unless she's  described in  another outfit, which she often is..............and her obsession w/ funerals cracks me up. ................i'm smiling while typing this statement.......................yes, there are violent scenes in her books, which i am usually  not crazy about in other books, but she weaves in the humor w/ the violence and i can handle it because i'm usually laughing at that moment or 60 seconds later...............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
STEPH: I know that series, but blank on the author's name. The books are named after places (like an American Anne Perry).

Steph

« Reply #79 on: January 14, 2009, 07:54:38 AM »
JoanK.. yes that is the series and I do enjoy it. My notes on what I read tend to get out of hand. I keep authors lists instead.
I am in the last 100 pages of Yiddish Policeman and finally in love. The plot winds and twists. He is the most determined policeman in the world and I have no idea on earth where we are going.. Aha.. my favorite way to be.