Author Topic: Mystery Corner  (Read 148490 times)

Babi

Re: Mystery Corner
« Reply #880 on: August 19, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »

Pull up a comfortable chair and join us here to talk about mysteries and their authors.
 We love hearing what YOU enjoy and recommend!

Links:
The Hound of the Baskervilles
Our Favorite Old Mystery Writers
Fantastic Fiction
Stop You're Killing Me

Discussion Leaders:    BillH and JoanK   

One has to consider, of course, that if a box remains unpacked for two years,...or ten..., that there is really nothing in there one needs or wants.
Why bother with them?  Offer them to the kids and then call Goodwill. 8)
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Frybabe

« Reply #881 on: August 19, 2009, 09:36:57 AM »
OH, NO, Babi, not my precious books! I still have my art supplies from High School on. Always thinking of getting back to my sketching, pen and ink and watercolors. Hasn't happened, but there is always the remote possibility. I figure when I retire (not going to happen now I am afraid) I will already have these things and won't have to spend precious money on them. Same goes for my knitting and such. Of course, if I didn't spend so much time playing on the computer, I would have some time for these.  ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #882 on: August 19, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »
Steph - at the other end of the spectrum, sort of, since 1963, we've lived in two houses.  And I'm pretty sure there's at least one box that moved with us into the first place in 1963, and is still boxed up.  It's old scrapbooks and stuff (I think) from high school and college.  It's probably so moldy nothing would be distinguishable by now.  And when we move from here (whenever that may be) to an apartment or to "the home", I'm thinking I'll pitch it without even looking into it.  Nothing there I particularly care about, I'm sure.  ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #883 on: August 19, 2009, 02:00:59 PM »
There are still things I want and know are in there somewhere: the notebook that has my bird life list, a lot of my poetry books. But it's too daunting to try and find them.

Maybe I'll write a mystery where the vital clue is in a box that no one unpacked from moving.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #884 on: August 19, 2009, 02:02:54 PM »
One friend gave up on Martha Stewart when she was showing you  how to make an Easter basket and had you growing real grass in the bottom of the basket.

mrssherlock

« Reply #885 on: August 19, 2009, 03:33:39 PM »
Far be it for me to be accused of defending Martha Stewart but if you have ever tasted made from scratch marshmallows they are pure heaven.  I remember when we used to be able to get Campfire Marshmallows; they were in little boxes with 6 each in two layers.  When fresh they melted in yoour mouth but the could get hard as rocks if left too long.  Whole Foods has some each year and I always stock up when I can get to Portland.

C J Box has a new one (Below Zero) about Joe Pickett, Game Marshall.  Just as good as the last ones. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #886 on: August 19, 2009, 03:40:21 PM »
My husband was in the military so we have moved a lot.  I have had 6 driver's licenses.  I think we have finally settled down. :)

Just finished a Daisy Dalrymple Mystery "Black Ship" by Carola Dunn.  A cozy but very well written.

mabel1015j

« Reply #887 on: August 19, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
Reading Nelson DeMille's Gate House. He's so funny. I started reading the prologue and thot "i've read this!" But fortunately i went back to it a week or so later because he was supposed to be having a dream which was a scene from The Gold Coast, which i had read and Gate House is a continuation of the characters and the story. I do like his humor.......................jean

Steph

« Reply #888 on: August 20, 2009, 09:05:08 AM »
True Story.. The year I turned 50, I found a small box that I had never unpacked. I had thought it held some glasses, but it turned out to be a box from high school.. I opened it up.. was looking at the year book and a small senior memories book. You put in what you thought your life would be.. Not one of the the things I had said turned out to be accurate.. Now truthfully I loved my life and husband and our traveling, but for some reason the book threw me into a terrible depression. Why hadnt I do those things?? Could I do them now? Thats when, I bought a sign for my fridge.." Are you the person you want to be" and embarked on my no smoking, exercising, dieting and learning to be calmer crusade.. Cannot say the diet worked too well, but I have not smoked since, and have been walking now each morning for 40 minutes for 21 years and eat my fruits and veggies..and mostly am calmer. So dont open the box. Chuck it.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #889 on: August 20, 2009, 09:13:46 AM »
 Oh, of course, FRYBABE. As one eight years retired, I didn't think of that.
Not that I'm doing everything I thought I might be doing when I retired, but
I'm still doing my favorite things...including mostly reading.
  We moved about so much during my lifetime, that I grew very skilled at
packing, and tended to shed detritus at every move.

Maybe I'll write a mystery where the vital clue is in a box that no one
unpacked from moving.
JOANK.   ;D

The more I hear about Martha Stewart's 'projects', the happier I am that
I never paid her much attention.  But then, she had to have something to
put into all those shows, didn't she?
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

mrssherlock

« Reply #890 on: August 20, 2009, 09:32:26 AM »
There is a new lady on the block.  She is 50, a widow (more on that later) and she weighs 150 though she can run 10 miles a day.  She runs her husband's business, sewing machines and supplies, and drives his killer jeep, the one he wouldn't let her touch when he was alive.  After years and years of marital misery, she whacked him with a wrench and got herslef a new life.  She has a part-time job, enforcer, wherein she whomps guys who can't keep their fists to themselves.  Her reputation is spreading, she can hardly keep up with the demand for her services.  Hard-boiled takes on a whole new meaning when Stella Hardesty gets in on the action.  She stars in A Bad Day for Sorry and I love her.  Sophie Littlefield has a deft touch, just slightly sly but not fall on the floor laughing.  There is more than a little blood and gore but it is not at all gratuitous, trust me on this. 
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Golden State Poppy

• Connie
« Reply #891 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:46 PM »
I have just been reading a book by Mary Kay Andrews, an author I probably wouldn't have tried except for a review I read here.  "Hissy Fit" is more of a romance novel than a mystery but I loved it.  The main character throws a Hissy fit to end all hissy fits when she finds her fiance making out with the maid of honor at the wedding rehearsal dinner.  The story has a lot about expensive furniture and Southern manners but I can tolerate that.  I plan to read more by her.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #892 on: August 20, 2009, 01:14:35 PM »
Great posts this morning. Good story, STEPH. Not sure that the motto shouldn't be "open that box" -- it seems to have done you a lot of good.

JACKIE: I loved your post. You had me going until I read that it was a book (although I did wonder how you knew how much she weighed-- no way I'm going to tell anybody). Got to get that book.

POPPY: if anyone should throw a hissy fit, she's the one!

Sometimes the details add to a story, sometimes they don't. Just DIDN'T finish a book: "A Job to Kill For" by Janice Kaplan. Her character can't do anything or go anywhere without telling you the brand of every piece of clothing or object in the room and how much it cost (usually in 5 or six figures). One night she can't sleep, and is tangled up in her sheets which she had specially ordered handmade by a Belgian seamstress. She says for all they help, she might as well have bought them at Walmart.

I cry for her, don't you. And who knew such a valuable life lesson. I'm going to throw all my specially ordered hand-made sheets away today!!

I put down the book when she was about to be killed by the muderer. I kept hoping he would succeed, and I knew I was going to be disappointed.

mrssherlock

« Reply #893 on: August 20, 2009, 03:12:58 PM »
Jpan:  That's a bad sign when you start rooting for the murderer!  You need a 12th stop progrlam:  "Hello I'm Joan and I read bad novels.  Please help me!"  Handmade sheets?  Puleeze.  Walmart?  Surely there is a meduim ground?
Jackie

Tomereader1

« Reply #894 on: August 20, 2009, 03:34:44 PM »
Why would there need to be a medium ground?  Wal-Mart sheets are perfectly sleepable.  LOL As are J.C. Penney's, Kohl's, etc.  Anyone who pays exorbitant prices (5 to 6 figures) for anything other than a car or house, is lacking in brain power, in my estimation.  (I know 5 to 6 figures won't get you either, but you catch my drift hopefully!)  I would root for her murderer too!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

mrssherlock

« Reply #895 on: August 20, 2009, 04:04:18 PM »
NPR recommendtions for mysteries:  http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=111743357&sc=nl&cc=bn-20090820

Personally I buy my sheets at places like Bed Bath and Beyond; even eBay.  And I always buy my towels at Costco.
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #896 on: August 20, 2009, 05:51:37 PM »
JACKIE: I think I definately need your 12 step program: "Hello I'm Joan and I read bad novels.  Please help me!" 

Steph

« Reply #897 on: August 21, 2009, 08:03:08 AM »
Oh I have to look up Sophia Littlefield. The book sounds a delight.
I think the other book with all of the prices and brands was really a chic lit book. They love to do that.. Since I found Tuesday Mornings, I shop for sheets and towels there. High end stuff at discount prices.. My kind of place.

Babi

« Reply #898 on: August 21, 2009, 09:22:03 AM »
 Oh, JACKIE.  When you started talking about a new lady on the block, I
thought you were referring to a newcomer to Seniorlearn! My eyebrows were
rising higher and higher before it finally dawned on me that you were talking
about a fictional character! 

I put down the book when she was about to be killed by the murderer.
I kept hoping he would succeed, and I knew I was going to be disappointed

JOANK.    ;D

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #899 on: August 21, 2009, 01:20:18 PM »
What's wrong with sheets and towels from Walmart?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

mrssherlock

« Reply #900 on: August 21, 2009, 01:22:53 PM »
If you read Steif Larrson's The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo you will find that The Girl Who Played with Fire is its sequel.  Sweden is a fascinating country and its sexual mores are almost incomprehensible to puritanical ol' me.  That aside the character of Salander is compelling with her near photographic memory.  For kicks she works on unsolvable mathematical equations (thankfully explained so that no mathematics are needed to understand them.)  My life has been so filled with family that it seems I can only get away by reading so a person who lives such an isolated life as she is unforgettable. 
Jackie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #901 on: August 21, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
We've finished reading the newest Nevada Barr, Borderline.  It's pretty good.  We don't expect a whole lot - just like the character and Barr's writing.  One thing that bothered John was a loose end left "untied", but nothing too critical.  Just a good mystery read.

mrssherlock

« Reply #902 on: August 21, 2009, 06:26:06 PM »
What loose end?  I heard that one on audio so my memory is different than for visual images.  Just curious.
Jackie

mabel1015j

« Reply #903 on: August 21, 2009, 07:12:22 PM »
What's the setting of Borderline?..............jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #904 on: August 21, 2009, 09:41:56 PM »
"What's wrong with sheets and towels from Walmart?"

Don't ask me --- I still have the sheets from when I got married 54 years ago, and Walmart didn't exist.  ;)

But if they ever wear out, I'll certainly try Walmart.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #905 on: August 21, 2009, 09:51:55 PM »
Jean, Borderline is set in Big Bend Nat'l Park - along the Rio Grande River.

Jackie, I'll e-mail you what we felt were the loose ends so we won't spoil it for the others.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #906 on: August 21, 2009, 10:10:54 PM »
MARYZ: thanks, thanks!! It's great to see someone who is sensative to "spoilers".

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #907 on: August 21, 2009, 11:04:59 PM »
 ::) ::)

Babi

« Reply #908 on: August 22, 2009, 09:13:21 AM »
Wow!, JOANK. What are those sheets made of? 54 years?  Or are you pulling
our collective leg?     :o

Tomereader1

« Reply #909 on: August 22, 2009, 11:42:55 AM »
Up until about a year ago, I still had sheets that were a wedding present 48 years ago.  They finally ripped apart.  Wonderfully soft percale sheets, that grew softer with each wash!  I still have a Guest Towel from the same era.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #910 on: August 22, 2009, 04:36:30 PM »
I have just one set of sheets from our wedding 51 years ago, but they are wonderful. Soft and comfortable.. As I think I said though I found Tuesday Mornings and they have wonderful linens.. Sheets used to be made of something called Egyptian Cotton, so did blouses. It was soft and pliable and I loved it.. Never see it anymore.

mrssherlock

« Reply #911 on: August 22, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
Steph:  google Egyptian cotton and this is only one of the many things you will find:  http://ezinearticles.com/?Why-Egyptian-Cotton-Is-Still-King&id=114575
Jackie

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #912 on: August 22, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
Several years ago I read a series about a young Japanese woman living in Japan although her father (Japanese) and mother (white) lived in Calif.  I'd like to check out the author and see if she has written any more books in the series.  For the life of me, I cannot remember the author or the protagonist's name.  It was a good mystery series.  Does anyone here know?

mrssherlock

« Reply #913 on: August 22, 2009, 07:12:54 PM »
FlaJean:  Is this she?  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/m/sujata-massey/  I've read several and they are exciting in their differentness. 
Jackie

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #914 on: August 22, 2009, 08:39:14 PM »
FlaJean: I'm sure that's it: Sujata Massey. She has written a number of books: each one includes information about some aspect of Japanese culture: furniture, haiku, flower arranging, kimono, anime etc.. They vary a lot in quality, but I read them fot that.

Babi

« Reply #915 on: August 23, 2009, 08:52:05 AM »
 The second episode in the Masterpiece Mystery Theatre series on 'Inspector
Lewis' will be airing on PBS tonight.  Our posters really liked the first episode;
it looks like they have a winner in this series.
  Do try and watch PBS tonight and  let us know what you think.  I'm
confident you'll enjoy it.  (Sgt. Hathaway is good-looking, too, in the finest
English tradition.  ;) )

Steph

« Reply #916 on: August 23, 2009, 10:03:14 AM »
I have read all of the Massey books. Fascinating contrasts there. Very good series.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #917 on: August 23, 2009, 12:24:50 PM »
Thanks so much!  Yes, that is the series and author I was looking for.  I was sure you mystery lovers could help me.

mrssherlock

« Reply #918 on: August 23, 2009, 12:27:40 PM »
Steig Larsson's Girl books (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Girl who Played with Fire) have  lead us partway through the life of an amaazing girl, Lisabeth Salander.  She is a loner, victim of unnamed horrors in her early teens, distrustful, tiny but remorseless.  One can't help feeling some of her pain as she struggles with life's barricades.  There is a third book and I'm eager to read it but my library doesn't have it (sob, it is due out in October).  Larsson must have had many stories left to tell but he died tragically in his early 40s just after he sent the three manuscripts to his publisher.  Don't even start unless you are prepared to be emotionally pummeled.
Jackie

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #919 on: August 23, 2009, 11:23:24 PM »
 And that third one has a working title, The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest.  Which I guess may or may not be the final one.   Jackie, he didn’t send all three manuscripts at one time, did he?  Just glanced at a review that stated he had the trilogy planned out well.  Whatever, it’s certainly a series that is gaining a lot of popularity.  It’s sad that Larsson isn’t here to see that.