Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 416328 times)

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #120 on: January 24, 2009, 06:15:55 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: Ella Gibbons

Babi

« Reply #121 on: January 25, 2009, 11:09:40 AM »
  Hi, folks.  I have definitely decided to give up on reading Abba Eban's autobiography.  I loved his "Civilization: A History of the Jews", but the biography simply has too much political detail for me.
 At the same time, his descriptions and stories about the key figures of those times has been most interesting and insightful.  I plan to keep the book for reference, as it has an extensive index. I can refer to it whenever something comes up re. the 'movers and shakers' of that era.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #122 on: January 25, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »
As promised I found our archived discussion of Eleanor Roosevelt's last year or two of life and her death.  The book is titled KINDRED SOULS and here is Doris K. Goodwin's note about it:

"Kindred Souls is a wonderful love story that opens to public view a fascinating chapter in Eleanor Roosevelt's life. Edna Gurewitsch has recreated Eleanor's last years with such remarkable empathy and such deep intuition that it seems as if Eleanor is alive once more." - Doris Kearns Goodwin

SHEILA, thank you for that review of the book THE FORGOTTEN MAN.  And your statement that the failure of the banks to lend money contributed to the great depression is somewhat frightening .   Isn't that what I am reading today?  That the billions, the first 350 billion that Bush gave to banks, was to promoted lending and the banks are holding onto instead?????

And it is so interesting when someone reviews a book here for the rest of us to enjoy.  Do continue!  Thank you.

BABI, thanks for bringing Abba Eban's name up, it is a familiar one but lost in time.  So, here he is on one of the numerous sites dedicated to him.  You have probably seen the documentary on his life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abba_Eban

serenesheila

« Reply #123 on: January 25, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
Hi, Ella and Marji.  I cannot express strongly enough, how much I am enjoying "The Forgotten Man".  One of the things I enjoy the most is all of the author's information about names I have heard over the years.  Well known people of their day.  As for Wendell Wilkie, my father debated someone on the radio.  He favored WW.  I remember how shocked I was when I learned he had not voted from FDR.  I come from a long line of dedicated Democrats.  All four of my grandparents were alive.  I had two great grandmothers alive, and a great grandfather.  The only Republican in the family was my paternal gg.  After I got into genealogy, I discovered that in the 1920s she registered as a Progressive.  I felt better about her after I learned that.  LOL

Sheila

serenesheila

« Reply #124 on: January 25, 2009, 05:40:39 PM »
Yes, Ella.  Reading in TFM about the banks, sounds exactly as banks are, today.  The author says that Herbert Hooker, had a  policy of keeping his hands off of the county's financial situation.  I was also surprised at the familiar names of people who urged him to get involved.

Sheila

Steph

« Reply #125 on: January 26, 2009, 08:04:23 AM »
I promised to put this in non fiction.. Just finished "The Pages in Between" by Erin Einhorn. It is a non fiction account of a daughter of a holocaust survivor. Her Mother was a baby and was taken in by a polish family during WWII. They got paid.. She goes back to Poland as an adult to see where her Mother lived, if she can find the family, etc. Amazing book.. Not at all what you would expect. Dont think I would live inPoland, but the accounting was remarkable.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Babi

« Reply #126 on: January 27, 2009, 09:19:36 AM »
No, Ella, I haven't seen the documentay on Abba Eban.  I was interested in him not only for the role he played, but because of I so much enjoyed his history of the Hebrew people.  Sheila said: 
"One of the things I enjoy the most is all of the author's information about names I have heard over the years."
  That is exactly what I most enjoyed in Eban's biography.  I'm saving it as a reference precisely for that reason.  I can go to it whenever the need arises, to see what he wrote about the various 'big names' of that period.

"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #127 on: January 27, 2009, 10:47:19 AM »
HI STEPH AND BABI.

GOSH, it's quiet in here.  What are you reading? 

On a recent quick visit to B&N, I bought 2 paperbacks, THE LONG EMBRACE: Raymond Chandler and the Woman He loved by Judith Freeman - a charming book which portrays Los Angeles in the 1920's.  Another titled  ON HITLER'S MOUNTAIN: Overcoming the Legacy of a Nazi Childhood by Irmgard Hunt.

Last night I watched The American Experience (always a good TV show) and it focused on Robert Oppenheimer and how he was treated after his years of working for the government on the atom bomb.  I think I once read a book about him, cannot remember the name of it, and it named all the scientists that were with him.  Los Alamos is a fascinating place to visit.  If you ever get the chance, don't miss it.  So much history there and the National Laboratory is still there.  Who knows what they are working on today -  more destructive weapons?

mabel1015j

« Reply #128 on: January 27, 2009, 09:13:32 PM »
Ella - i looked for "Kindred Spirits" today at the library, but they don't have it. I asked them to order it. They are very good about getting anything i ask for, so i'm looking forward to it..........i did get "First in His Class" to see if i could figure out B. Clinton.............LOL...........jean

Mippy

« Reply #129 on: January 28, 2009, 06:56:46 AM »
Good morning, everyone!

Well, I can note what I'm not reading:  since we bookies were  advised to put aside Rivals until March, my husband snatched it.   We will have a friendly tug-of-war on Feb 26th or thereabouts when I need to read it myself.

The good news he gives it very high marks, and he's critical of history-light, which this sure is not.   He did not like Goodwin's book on the Kennedy's (old, cannot find it)  but he finds Rivals excellent.     

I'm back re-reading Washington's Crossing by David H Fischer, one of my favorite authors; most of his books are truly worth reading more than once.   Did anyone else read his new one on Champlain?
quot libros, quam breve tempus

HaroldArnold

« Reply #130 on: January 28, 2009, 03:49:51 PM »
The following are 4 new nonfiction titles now in the B&N catalog.  Three of these have not yet been released for sale but orders are being taken pending thair release that will come within a few days.

Eat This Not That! Supermarket Survival Guide: The No-Diet Weight Loss Solution by David Zinczenko, Matt Gouldi

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Eat-This-Not-That-Supermarket-Survival-Guide/David-Zinczenko/e/9781605298382/?cds2Pid=17806

Publisher: Rodale Press, Incorporated
    Pub. Date: December 2008
    ISBN-13: 9781605298382
    Sales Rank: 5
    336pp

Act Like a Lady, Think Like a Man: What Men Really Think About Love, Relationships, Intimacy, and Commitment by Steve Harvey

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Act-Like-a-Lady-Think-Like-a-Man/Steve-Harvey/e/9780061728976/?cds2Pid=17351

Publisher: HarperCollins Publishers
    Pub. Date: January 2009
    ISBN-13: 9780061728976
    Sales Rank: 2
    240pp

The Yankee Years by Joe Torre, Tom Verducci
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Yankee-Years/Joe-Torre/e/9780385527408/?cds2Pid=17351
    Publisher: Doubleday Publishing
    Pub. Date: February 03, 2009
    ISBN-13: 9780385527408
    Sales Rank: 3
    512pp

Obama: The Historic Front Pages by David Elliot Cohen, Mark Greenberg, Howard Dodson (Introduction)

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Obama/David-Elliot-Cohen/e/9781402769023/?cds2Pid=17351

Publisher: Sterling Publishing
    Pub. Date: February 11, 2009
    ISBN-13: 9781402769023
    Sales Rank: 4
    224p

Babi

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2009, 09:06:04 AM »
Obama: The Historic Front Pages by David Elliot Cohen, Mark Greenberg, Howard Dodson (Introduction)

Looks like they were waiting on this one, to see if Obama won the election.  Timed to take advantage of the high interest in the subject.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2009, 09:10:15 AM »
JEAN, I hope you get KINDRED SOULS (NOT SPIRITS) by Edna Gurewitsch; you will not believe the book!  I didn't!  Who would have guessed that Eleanor Roosevelt, mother of five, wife of one of our most beloved presidents, beloved herself for her ceaseless interest in people from every walks of life, wouldl have died almost by herself except for a doctor she had gone to and became very good friends with.  Actually, she died in the doctor's home.  It's a pathetic story in many ways.

MIPPY, I'm so glad your husband is enjoying TEAM OF RIVALS.  It is a very good book as we will all discover soon - in MARCH, which will be here shortly - and I can't wait for spring.  We have 7-11 inches of snow outside and many closings!  He must post when we get into the discussion! 

Hi HAROLD, are you interested in any of those books?  Thanks for posting.  What are you reading?

mabel1015j

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2009, 02:25:21 PM »
Thanks for the correction Ella. I did look for "Souls" at the library, just switched in my mind when i wrote it here.

I've started "First in His Class"  - very readable and interesting so far. It is about Clinton's life up until he's inaugurated, so i may have to find a more recent book on him to get the last fifteen plus years. ............

I asked before, but nobody responded - does anyone know anything about Marnie? She was always in here and lead some discussions, i'm just concerned about why she hasn't shown up. If i remember correctly, just before seniornet went down there was a problem w/ her father or FIL............hope she's o.k..............jean

HaroldArnold

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2009, 05:33:46 PM »
Ella regarding my having an interest the new best selling nonfiction titles that I posted yesterday, I don't really see any of them  as prospectiive discussion candidates.  Others might consider them differently.  I thought that from time to time I might mention certain new nonfiction titles that have achived some popular best seller status.

My interest still centers on history.  Until recently I think I would have choosen the T. Roosevelt Mornings on Horseback biography, but today I think I would go for the Jon Meacham biography of Andrew Jackson. But any new discussion progect will have to wait until I complete some new volenteer committments at the S.A. Missions National Historical Park.

Im the meantime I hope to increase my activity here with comments relative to other posts and from time I will mention and link other new popular bew nonfiction titiles

mabel1015j

« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2009, 06:12:27 PM »
Harold - thanks for the posts...............any "no diet" diet always interests me ;D

Either of the books for discussion that you mentioned would interest me.

I think you have an interest in Native Americans?...........i just read two novels by Don Coldsmith about the Kansas Territory. The first one is "Tallgrass" and has the most focus on the N.A'n's. Apparently he had intended to write only one book about the time and area, but when he got his required number of words on paper he discovered he was only up to pre-civil war, so he made it into two books. At the end of the second, "South Wind," he has some actual journal entries, one of which was a doctor who was w/ Gen Custer, before his most famous battle!..............just tho't you might enjoy them..............jean

marjifay

« Reply #136 on: January 30, 2009, 07:46:42 PM »
In case anyone is interested, on CSpan's Book TV program this weekend, two historians will be discussing Abraham Lincoln in depth -- his life and legacy and some of the many books written about him.  CSpan says books about Lincoln are currently being published at the rate of one per week!  The program airs Sunday 12 Noon and 12 Midnight, eastern time.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

winsummm

« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2009, 11:39:51 PM »
Three Cups of Tea  about building schools for Pakistani girls in the mountain regions where they use a stick to write lessons in the ground, no paper or tools and mostly no teachers outside on a hill top.
stranded mountain climber decides to change all that. He doesn't quite know where to begin but his people skills pave the way.
thimk

marjifay

« Reply #138 on: February 01, 2009, 08:34:09 AM »
Did anyone watch Amy Sedaris talk about her book I LIKE YOU yesterday on BookTV?  Hilarious!  Advice on entertaining, etc.  Just one I remember -- "A children's party should never last longer than 30 minutes!"  I have to read it.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #139 on: February 01, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »
JEAN, no, I don't know a thing about Marnie.  I wish I did, she was just great on our old site; I will ask around and see if we can find out anything but unless she answers an email, which I am sure has been sent out to her, we don't know a thing.  But, thanks, for asking about her.

MARJ, thanks for the updates on Abraham Lincoln.  This month is the 200th anniversary of his birth and there are planned activities everywhere - on TV, in new books, exhibits, even reenactments of his visits to various states, reenactments of battles of the Civil War, etc.

And we have our own here on SeniorLearn.  We will be discussing Goodwin's book TEAM OF RIVALS but due to scheduling it will not be until March.

MEANWHILE, COME IN TO THE DISCUSSION AND POST SOMETHING ABOUT LINCOLN, OR JUST POST THAT YOU WILL BE WITH US NEXT MONTH.  CLICK HERE TO POST:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=187.new#new

Thank you WINSUMMM for your post; I have heard about that book and it sounds great. 

Also thanks to HAROLD for his interest and I would love to discuss any book you choose.

No, MARJ, I didn't watch BookTV yesterday at all.  I went to see SLUMDOG which makes 3 Oscar nominated movies I have seen.  So far, the Frost/Nixon one gets my vote! 

HaroldArnold

Re: Slumdog Millionaire
« Reply #140 on: February 01, 2009, 12:21:35 PM »
Regarding the movie, "Slumdog Millionaire" see my post dated today on the
"Books Made Into Movies" board

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #141 on: February 01, 2009, 03:47:44 PM »
ON HITLER'S MOUNTAIN: Overcoming the Legacy of a Nazi Childhood by Irmgard Hunt.
Ella, I read it two years ago - good book - a book that shows the condition that Germany was in prior to Hitler's taking power - it was easy to see why he was such the hero given the economic condition of Germany, the poverty and also the way folks built their careers as intenerate workers - reading how her family and neighbors lived was an eye opener.

I still remember movie newsreals that showed hundreds of folks bedding down each night on the village roads taking up almost an entire block with each on a pallet row after row across the road.

I thought it was a good book that gave us a view of how folks in Germany lived before and during WWII and from a child's viewpoint what they did and did not know. The author is about my age - I think a year younger and so I could see how I thought I knew everything during my pre-teen years and early teens just as she writes as if she knew all there was to know.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

mabel1015j

« Reply #142 on: February 01, 2009, 04:27:03 PM »
E.L. Doctorow was interviewed yesterday on Booktv and he talked about his theory that "history" was all "storytelling" - he mentioned Homer, the writers of the Old and New Testaments, etc. - until the Enlightenment when Galileo and others decided that you had to observe and prove truth in order for something to be called "history," or true ............Earlier in the week I saw a program on PBS titled "The Truth about Wikipedia" which presented both sides of the argument that you do/don't have to be a "professional" to know the truth about something and that the theory of Wiki is that everybody has knowledge and "truth" and should be able to post what they know. AND is there such a thing as "truth?" When we look at all the books that have been written about many public figures and events and the way they often disagree w/ each other, or a new one comes out w/ "additional/new" information about the person or situation, it is a striking question. How can it be possible that after 1000,s of books written about Lincoln for 150 yrs, that there are still books being published w/ "new" information? Were those previous 1000 books untrue?

Would make for a very interesting discussion, as it did on the Wiki show. I think Wikipedia is terrific and i have found that most of what i read there is accurate - as far as we know "accurate", but i guess that shows my liberal bias and my thinking that credentials are not absolutely necessary for a person to be knowledgable, or an "expert" about something.  I had a great argument w/ the vp of the college where i worked when she insisted that a person had to have a degree specifically in the discipline of the subject in order to be able to teach. I pointed out to her that in the 70's, 80's and 90's and even today, there are a lot of people who taught/can teach women's/Black  history, etc., who never had an opportunity to get a degree in those disciplines, because there were NO degrees in those disciplines when the courses were started in the late 20th century.

I think that's one of the things i like about seniorlearn - we share ideas and expertise and don't have any idea, in many cases, what the background is of the person providing ideas or insight. Of course, we are a small community who can largely trust that someone isn't attempting to pull the wool over our eyes - there really isn't any reason for someone to do that. ................what i nice feeling!....................jean

marjifay

« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2009, 07:16:10 AM »
Ella, I loved Slumdog Millionaire.  Now I want to see THE READER.  You said your favorite of the Oscar nominees so far is the FROST/NIXON.  I've not been eager to see this for a couple of reasons - First, I watched the original interviews by Frost, and second, I saw the 1995 movie NIXON with Anthony Hopkins and really disliked it.  He didn't seem to me at all like Nixon.  Maybe for those who didn't live through those years with him as president would have enjoyed it, but I heard and saw the real Nixon.  So I'm reluctant to see someone else try to portray him.

Babi

« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »
And I am reluctant to spend time going back over that sad and disappointing story.  I don't plan to watch the Nixon/Frost movie.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #145 on: February 03, 2009, 11:09:57 AM »
A NICE FEELING, JEAN, YES!!! 

Thanks HAROLD, BARBARA, JEAN, MARJ AND BABI for your posts.  I love coming in here and reading them and I might agree/disagree and that is the fun of it all.

Quoting JEAN - "is there such a thing as "truth?" When we look at all the books that have been written about many public figures and events and the way they often disagree w/ each other, or a new one comes out w/ "additional/new" information about the person or situation, it is a striking question"

What do you think? 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #146 on: February 03, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »
Our local book club is reading NINE by Jeffrey Toobey this month and I have just skimmed it; it looks very good.  Has anyone read it?

Speaking of which (and I willl be speaking of this for a few weeks starting in March) take a look at what the Supreme Court did in 1857 when they handed down the Dred Scott decision:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dred_Scott_v._Sandford

I know you have all heard of the case.  What a far cry it is today with Obama as our President.  We should be proud we have overcome.

Join us in our pre-discussion of Lincoln and his team of rivals.  What history!!!!

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=49.0

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #147 on: February 05, 2009, 06:14:00 PM »
The question - is there such a thing as truth - is intriguing.  My answer would be no, not an individual truth or a collective truth.  Possibly there is such a thing as "factual truth."  It's a truth that the earth is round.  But a moral truth?

The book I had reserved some time ago finally came in to my Library and it looks very good.  AMERICAN LIGHTING by Howard Blum reports on the destruction of the Los Angeles Times Building in 1910; the trial of the terrorists who committed the crime and the labor struggles which evoked it.   Very good book, I think.

I had just listened to a short discussion of labor in this country today on NPR.  One listener calling in believes that unless we can get manufacturing jobs back into the country (said jobs now mainly in China) we are doomed to repeat the market of the late 1800's, the sweatshops, the low wages dictated by capitalism, no benefits, etc.  Our job market is disappearing somewhere and unemployment continues to rise.

Interestingly, the narrator pointed out the Washington, D.C. has the lowest unemployment rate in the country.  GO FIGURE!!!

Babi

« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2009, 08:35:35 AM »
So much of the stuff made in China, or the middle East, India, etc., is of poor quality.  The lower price doesn't make up for shoddy material or workmanship. The simplest solution to the problem would be for Americans to stop buying the stuff.  On the other hand, I picked up a made in China walking cane for a buck at a grocery store, and find it most useful.  So,there are obviously exceptions. 

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
BABI, try to find something made in America!

Babi

« Reply #150 on: February 07, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
I don't go into stores that expensive, ELLA.    :'( ::)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
THE PROBLEM!

mabel1015j

« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2009, 05:15:44 PM »
There are obviously some things we know in the natural world that we can state as truth, but when you are talking about events that include people and try to figure out "truth" that is a different story. If five of us see an accident, or any event, we are seeing it from five different perspectives, different histories bringing different thinking to the moment, eyes going to different pieces of what's happening  - and my goodness if you wait a year or a century to talk/research about it - "truth" can be clarified, or get mightily skewed. That was one of the reasons i found history so interesting and the more i learned/research/taught it the more interesting it became. ...................... jean

marjifay

« Reply #153 on: February 08, 2009, 10:34:02 PM »
This is off topic, but I just wondered if anyone has ever read JUSTICE AT NUREMBERG by Robert E. Conot.  It's not a new book (1983?) but a real page turner!  I got started on it after reading Albert Speer's INSIDE THE THIRD REICH, which is also fascinating.  I haven't got to the trial yet, have just read a couple of chapters talking about some of the defendents they brought in.   I'd always thought of all these Nazis as being perhaps like Adolf Eichmann, scary people, but of those I've read about so far... Rudolf Hess and Von Ribbentrop were really pathetic nut cases. 

And Hermann Goering was something else.  When he surrendered and was brought in, he left behind at Berchtesgaden a train loaded with stolen artwork.  He brought with him his valet, his personal nurse, 4 aides, 5 kitchen crew members and a chef, along with his wife and her maid, and their young daughter and her nurse.  Also with him were 16 monogramed suitcases containing among other things, an accordian,
$20,000 in German marks, his medals and enough gold, silver and jewels to start a small jewelry store.  One suitcase contained 20,000
paracodine pills which he was taking at a rate of 40 per day.  It took over two months to gradually get him withdrawn from this drug.

So, just in case you're looking around for something to read....

Babi

« Reply #154 on: February 09, 2009, 09:43:18 AM »
MARJIFAY, I have long been of the opinion that was is the perfect medium for the rise of 'scary' people and nut cases.  Instead of jailing them or placing them in institutions, the powers that rule during war hire them to do their dirty work.
  I recently finished Daniel Silva's "Unlikely Spy",  a fiction story based on actual events.  It featured the nuts and the monsters, and it seemed everyone was practicing a deception on everyone else. It was enough to make my head spin.
It was engrossing, but not at all encouraging.

marjifay

« Reply #155 on: February 09, 2009, 11:10:14 AM »
Babi said, "Instead of jailing them or placing them in institutions, the powers that rule during war hire them to do their dirty work."

Yes, and that has happened in "peace" time too.  Perhaps not as bad as the nazis, as probably no one could match their horrors, but look at what the CIA did in various parts of the world, and, of course, Nixon's Watergate screwballs.

I've put THE UNLIKELY SPY on my TBR list.  Thanks.

Babi

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2009, 08:24:46 AM »
You're welcome.  :)

HaroldArnold

« Reply #157 on: February 11, 2009, 12:04:31 PM »
Regarding Herman Goering, he cheated the Nurenburg hangman a few hours before his scheduled execution by biting a cynide pilll that was concealed cleverly in ia cermanic pipe.  One or another of his guards apparently retreived this pipe from his stored effects in violation of standing orders.  The prime suspect was a Lieutant from Central Texas who returned to civilian life and died early so the full story of the circumstance of how the pipe was delivered will never be known.

Babi

« Reply #158 on: February 12, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
That's a story I haven't heard before, Harold.  I wonder if the Texas Lt. was a pipe smoker, too.  It's hard to imagine anyone being willing to do a kindness for Goering, but a man who loved his pipe might.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2009, 11:38:51 AM »
Is anybody reading any good books lately?

A good autobiography or biography?

I watched a portion of bookTV this morning and listened to a history professor in Virginia discuss his book HOW AMERICA GOT IT RIGHT by Bevin Alexander.  What a patriot he is; he will not concede that we have made any mistakes in the last century (or ever) with one exception and that is Vietnam.  He doesn't see China as a military threat and believes that our involvement with the Middle East was a correct one and will continue for sometime.  However, he says we have given up the idea of a democracy in the region but will keep a small military force there for sometime.

In our newspaper recently there was a review of a book HOW TO LIVE: A SEARCH FOR WISDOM FROM OLD PEOPLE (While They Are Still on This Earth) by Henry Alford.  Humorous.

Come join us in our discussion of Abraham Lincoln in TEAM OF RIVALS.  The book discussion begins March lst.