Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 434368 times)

Babi

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #1200 on: September 01, 2010, 08:39:38 AM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: HaroldArnold

Thank you, JEAN.  I very much enjoyed reading that link. I was
surprised to find so much authority and responsibility placed in
the hands of a young woman of 20. Clearly, she was well able to to
handle it.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1201 on: September 04, 2010, 10:45:33 AM »
Who was it?  Was it PATH who recommended the book, OPERATION MINCEMEAT by Ben Macintyre?  I just finished it and it's very good.  I want to get another book by him; his book AGENT ZIGZAG sounds like a good read.

Our f2f book club, which is new and just going into its third month, will be discussing a novel, JIMMY by Robert Whitlow.  Anyone read it?  This is not the proper place to ask, I know, but...................I'm typing away here.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1202 on: September 04, 2010, 02:07:11 PM »
The Dgts of Liberty, unlike their male counterparts, were formed not to engage in sabotage or violence, but to participate in boycotts. of British products. Women patriots refused to buy  - paper, sugar glass, silk, linen, madeira wine and tea. The boycotts generated new styles. Homespun cloth, made by women patriots, was worn on all occasions by all social classes. Spinning bees became patriotic events and coffee became the national pick me up.

In Edenton, North Carolina, a group of 51 women announced it's intention to boycott British tea and cloth in the Edenton Proclamation. The women stated that they had a right and a duty to participate in the political events of their time. W/out any precedents these women stated that they had political rts and intended to exercise them.

Like other woman of the time Deborah Franklin ran the family businesses,  during her husband Benjamin’s long absences, she started w/ her special responsibility being the book and stationery shop in the front of their house. Cokie Robts talks abt F in a section in her book called Phila Business Woman.  DF's 1st husband spent her dowry, ran up debts & took off for the W Indies, where he ws rumored to have died. That rumor was never confirmed, but BF was said to have “took to wife” Deborah, meaning that they couldn’t legally marry because there was no proof that he was dead. But the marriage was accepted by all. Over the yrs she took on more duties including helping run the printing shop & postal service when B was made postmaster for all the colonies, kept the books, helped invest in real estate & expanded the business into what were essentially print shop franchises up and down the Atlantic coast and back into the frontier. They did so well in their busness’s that B was able to retire at 42 to devote himself to his real loves – scientific experiments & public affairs. Of course, DF didn't retire, she continued running the busnesses and hosting people who came to talk to her about Ben, and, of course, running the household.

When B was in Eng & than France,  she heard from him very seldom and when she did he was often instructing her how to construct the addition to their house & what colors to use in the rooms & what to do w/ the china & silverware that he sent – you can see these instructions engraved on the  paving stones in the center of F courtyrd btwn 3rd & 4th sts on Market in Phila. She did refuse to go w/ him to Europe, so we can’t lay all the blame for their long separations on B. He first left in 1757 to go to London and returned 5 yrs later. He set sail again in 3 yrs, 1765 & did not return for more than a decade and D died in 1774. before he returned. Abigail Adams is given much credit for keeping things runnng for John, who was away 14 of the first 20 yrs of their marriage, but Deborah Franklin deserves as much credit, if not more for keeping the home fires/businesses burning while Ben was about the country's business.

Here is a piece from Time Mag about B and D, see a picture of D,  ignore the subtitle about Ben, lol, and scroll down a bit to read about Deborah.

http://www.time.com/time/2003/franklin/bfwomen.html

Here is another site about her:
http://marriage.about.com/od/historical/a/benfranklin.htm

If you are interested in women's history that site, about.com has a treasure trove of history of all kinds, but is one of the best, quick sources for w's history. Actually it is a treasure trove for all kinds of things including knitting and crocheting stitches. It's one of my favorite spots, as you can probably tell.

I have't read the latest bio of BF - by Issacson. I'll be curious to see how much credit he gives to DF. There are 21 hits of her in the index of his book, but except for 2 they mention only single pages..................more later............jean 

Babi

« Reply #1203 on: September 05, 2010, 10:07:41 AM »
 That site does sound intriguing, JEAN.  I'll have to check into about.com
and see what all they do talk 'about'. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1204 on: September 06, 2010, 05:23:04 PM »
JEAN,, I have always (although cannot quote what source) believed that Franklin had many mistresses, here and definitely overseas and I knew he became wealthy.  Probably I am remembering The Adams book by David McCullough, which we discussed in some length a number of years ago.  If I remember correctly, John and Benjamin, never got along at all, being very different in their morals and values.

All those early men were great in their vision of what a country should be, however, and their attempt at liberty and justice for all (who am I quoting here, Lincoln?).

I just finished a good book about George Washington: His Private Life by Harlow Giles Unger, and there is just as much information about Martha, all their numerous friends and relations; all the children, whether related or not, that the two of them invited to live at Mt. Vernon.  I'm rather proud of him, and our country for being wise enough at its birth to do what they all did.  We should probably all read and remember from time to time; I'm apt to forget it all.  And some details I don't think I ever knew.  What a shame that Martha burned all their private letters, what was she thinking??  A few have surivived and fragments are quoted.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1205 on: September 06, 2010, 08:59:37 PM »
Yes. Martha burning her letters is probably one of the all time great losses in American history.............wouldn't you love to have known her tho'ts about everything she was going thru?

I think Ben may have been more flirt than lover. Now, i haven't read the most recent bio - I must - but other than the woman he had William with before he married Deborah, I haven't read of actual affairs. I may have missed them, but the ones i've read about have been more flirtations, according to the authors.........I just read an interesting article about his sister Jane. Another one of those women  w/ 12 children, 4 died before she was 30, by the time she was in her 60's only one dgt remained alive and she was ill. At 70, a granddgt died and left 4 children, who Jane than took into her household to raise. She was pregnant 21 yrs of her life and had children to care for even into her 70's!! The author did a take-off on Virginia Wolff's "If Shakespeare had a sister".........only she compared Ben and Jane, who was apparently healthy, smart, persevering, etc. and what might she have done if she was not getting pregnant when Ben was arriving in Phila??? ................jean

roshanarose

« Reply #1206 on: September 06, 2010, 09:59:40 PM »
I had a dream last night about Barack Obama.  It was very nice.  He had two mistresses, and I was one of them.  Ahhhh....dreams.....
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1207 on: September 07, 2010, 08:11:35 AM »
 :o Analyzing that dream could be very interesting, ROSE.  ;)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1208 on: September 07, 2010, 10:00:36 AM »
Is that why Obama travels so much, ROSE!  And what city do you live in?

Yes, flirtations, probably best describes Franklin's relations with women.  I like flirtations, they are fun.  What you see on TV these days goes far beyond and is disgusting.

Tuberculosis killed so many!  Yellow fever prevented a war with France (as I remember) - all fled the city of New York where the capital was for a time.  John Adams was president then. 

They all had to have big families to assure that a couple of them might survive to adulthood.  And then, of course, they had no birth control methods.

Bleeding!   Who came up with that primitive method to cure illness.  It helped kill many, including George Washington.

roshanarose

« Reply #1209 on: September 08, 2010, 12:06:24 AM »
babi and ella - as you must know discretion is of the essence in these matters.  I wish!!!
How can you prove whether at this moment we are sleeping, and all our thoughts are a dream; or whether we are awake, and talking to one another in the waking state?  - Plato

Babi

« Reply #1210 on: September 08, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »
 I can see where bleeding might be useful in cases of high blood pressure; might prevent a stroke.  Other than that, it seems the worst possible thing to do, weakening the body when
people most need their strength.
 I decided to do a quick check. The practice of bloodletting seemed logical when the foundation of all medical treatment was based on the four body humors: blood, phlegm, yellow bile, and black bile. Health was thought to be restored by purging, starving, vomiting or bloodletting.
The art of bloodletting was flourishing well before Hippocrates in the fifth century B.C

And they were still doing it well into the 19th century.  Aren't you sorry you asked, ELLA?
 :)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1211 on: September 08, 2010, 09:11:21 AM »
OH, ROSE!  I need you every morning, your comment produced a smile, a chuckle! 

Hi BABI, one is never to old learn new things even if they are old things.  Thank goodness, we live in the age we do and medicine has progressed; nowadays we just swallow everything.

I think I'll start that book about the 1939 Worlds Fair that was built in Flushing Meadows in New Jersey; built on a dump. 

serenesheila

« Reply #1212 on: September 08, 2010, 04:57:45 PM »
Yesterday, I began reading "Last Call".  It is the story of prohibition in America.  It is very interesting!  Did any of you know that George Washington had a still on his farm?  I didn't.  By 1830 American adults were drinking, per capita, 7 gallons of pure alcohol a year.

Sheila

mabel1015j

« Reply #1213 on: September 08, 2010, 11:25:31 PM »
Yes, those founders were NOT tea drinkers! 

I'mm typing this on my new iPad!!!  An early birthday present from my whole family! Yaaaaaa!
I know I'm in for days of fun, fun, fun!

Jean

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1214 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:09 AM »
How fortunate you are, Jean. Congratulations on your new iPad!!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1215 on: September 09, 2010, 02:37:22 PM »
Jean: let us know how it goes!!!

Frybabe

« Reply #1216 on: September 09, 2010, 03:18:28 PM »
I saw a program about Mt. Vernon and G.W.'s still oh, maybe last year. They were doing archeology with the hopes of resurrecting the still using his original formula. Well, I just looked it up on Google and discovered that the Grand Opening was in 2007. Here is the article from the Mt. Vernon website. http://www.mountvernon.org/pressroom/index.cfm/fuseaction/view/pid/1119/

I've only been to Mt. Vernon once, long, long ago. I have no recollection of who I was with, but it was a bus trip which included Madison's home and Monticello. I only remember the outside of the Washington's mansion. Madison's home was dark and like a regular house. Monticello was spectacular. I was quite taken by his inventiveness.

jeannettl

« Reply #1217 on: September 10, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
I just finished The Monuments Men by Robert Edsel. Excellent, very readable and a whole different perspective on WWII and the stolen art in Northern Europe. I am also reading the Foxfire books, Volumes 10 thru 1; I'm going backwards through them. My current love, though is What Should I Do With The Rest of My Life? by Bruce Frankel. The people he has featured are amazing! I am an artist, a retired Special Education teacher. I have been slowly getting reinvolved in my art work over the past 10 years. I feel a new focus and dedication, a new inspiration, from reading about these people and their successes. Until now I had been interested only in finishing a few long-term projects, but now I have plans to go beyond that and find a new way of working. Mainly, I know I need to work smaller. I had always worked very big, but am ready to explore the world of small sculpture and painting. Fun!

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1218 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:33 PM »
WELCOME JEANNETTI!! Did reading about our Robby in "What Should I Do..." bring you here? We just finished a discussion with the author, Bruce Frankel, and we are all inspired!

You're art work sounds very interesting! Tell us more.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #1219 on: September 10, 2010, 08:53:42 PM »
Welcome, Jeannettl. It's wonderful to have visual artists participate on our site. I think those of you who work in the visual arts bring different perspectives to our book discussions. That's interesting that you are contemplating a change in your artwork. I too will be interested to hear more.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1220 on: September 11, 2010, 02:54:20 PM »
Welcome Jeannettl- what is your all-time favorite non- fiction book? How about the rest of you? I don't remember us having that discussion in here, but knowing Ella's questioning spirit, you must have.........lol.....Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #1221 on: September 11, 2010, 08:42:58 PM »
what is your all-time favorite non- fiction book?

While there are so many good ones Jean, I would have to say T. E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom. When I brought the oversized volume home from the library, Dad said I would never get through it - history was so "dry". Much to his surprise, I couldn't put it down, read the whole thing. Not only that, but I ended up reading his book The Mint and a another which was a volume of his correspondence with Robert Graves. I eventually traded those for a book called Arabia Deserta whose author I don't recall. This is the travelogue Lawrence read and valued prior to his stint in the Middle East. It was a bit boring or tedious so I never finished it. At any rate, Seven Pillars is the book I always think of first. It fired up my imagination and inspired my interest in international history. Surprisingly, given my interest in Roman history, I can't think of any book on that subject that comes near to how I feel about Seven Pillars of Wisdom.

marjifay

« Reply #1222 on: September 12, 2010, 09:13:34 AM »
Hard to pick just one favorite isn't it, Frybabe?  I've added your favorite, SEVEN PILLARS OF WISDOM, to my TBR List.  Always meant to read this after seeing the movie made from it.

My two authors (tied for favorites) are Alan Watts' books, beginning with his ON THE TABOO AGAINST KNOWING WHO YOU ARE, and Joseph Campbell's THE HERO WITH A THOUSAND FACES and THE MASKS OF GOD.  Both these authors gave me a lot of insight and challenged my thinking about religion.

Another book that changed my life was Betty Friedan's THE FEMININE MYSTIQUE.  It led me to get out of a marriage with a controlling husband, go to college and find a career of my own.

As a child my favorite books were those by Sir Richard F. Burton, the explorer, recommended by my grade school libarian.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #1223 on: September 12, 2010, 11:08:02 AM »
Excluding biographies, which I guess we should, maybe that's a question for another time, I think my favorite is "No OrdinaryTime" about ER & FDR during the war years. First, Doris Kearns Goodwin is one of my favorite historians and this book is particularly readable. It was almost like reading a novel. I also learned a lot about WWII on the " home front" .

The book that I also learned a lot from was by another woman historian, Mary Beard, "On  Understanding Woman ." It is a survey history of western civ from a woman's perspective written in the 1930,s. Again a very readable book.

Marjifay- that 's a wonderful " book" story about FM. I'll bet that BF heard that often and each time it must have made her proud that she wrote the book. That book didn't change my lfe as dramatically as yours, but certainly did influence how I thought and lived, also.

Iread "7 pillars" in college, probably need to take another look at it.

Jean

marjifay

« Reply #1224 on: September 12, 2010, 01:26:58 PM »
Jean, your mention of No Ordinary Time clicked something in my head.  Looked at my list of books I own and sure enough I own this.  Haven't read it, however, probably because it's such a long book--over 700 pages.  But I loved Goodwin's Team of Rivals, also a biggie, so I should read this other, especially since I so admired Eleanor Roosevelt (and also Franklin).

One of my favorite biographies was Yankee from Olympus, the bio of Oliver Wendell Holmes by Catherine Drinker Bowen.

Another nonfiction book I really liked was The Tao of Physics; An Explanation of the Parallels Between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism by Fritjof Capra (from my Eastern Mysticism period in the 1970s (LOL), but it is an interesting book).  

Yes I'd thought of writing to thank Friedan, but never did.  I figured she'd gotten many many letters of thanks, bless her heart.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mabel1015j

« Reply #1225 on: September 12, 2010, 02:53:49 PM »
Just an FYI - the History Channel is reshowing " America, the Story of Us"  They are at the turn into the 20 th century.........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1226 on: September 12, 2010, 03:51:29 PM »
Marj: I still have the Tao of Physics, but it's been decades since I read it. Maybe it's time to reread.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #1227 on: September 12, 2010, 09:43:32 PM »
Boy, I sure couldn't pick an all-time favorite non-fiction.  But I agree with marjifay about "The Hero With a Thousand Faces".  It's relevant to all sorts of stuff.

I very much like the books by Stephen Jay Gould, most of them collections of short articles, ranging all over the place from how people mis-used science for racist purposes, to how the extra bone in the panda's thumb is evidence for evolution, to a statistical analysis of the shrinking size and increasing cost of the Hershey Bar. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #1228 on: September 12, 2010, 09:58:09 PM »
For those of you who were in the Audubon discussion, I just saw on the news tonight that JA's " Birds of North America" is the most expensive book in the world  - $9,000,000!!! Wouldn't James be pleased and his poor long- suffering wife, who was always begging him for money? What would she say?

Jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1229 on: September 13, 2010, 12:07:43 PM »
What wonderful ideas for books to read.  I've written them down!  If you were to ask me "right now and with little thought" about nonfiction I remember having read  I would say WEST WITH THE WIND by Beryl Markham (don't know why); Aryn Rand's The FOUNTAINHEAD; the playwright and memoirist Neil Simon (never have forgotten he wrote his first play over 28 times never using the same word twice - imagine); JOHN ADAMS by McCullough, because it took us six weeks to discuss on Seniornet (our former home); all of Doris Kearns Goodwins (she writes so well) - there are so many more if I had time to think.  I've also read all of David McCullough's books.

Books about FDR, Abraham Lincoln, the founding fathers.  I simply cannot remember their titles.

At the moment I am listening to REVOLUTIONARY CHARACTERS by Gordon Wood.  It's very good, and even though you have read about most of them, there are always little new things you learn.

NEwspapers proliferated and doubled in size throughout the colonies in one year from 1799 to 1800 and now ordinary people (not the wealthy - particularly the influential planters of VA) could read and discuss national issues.  It made a huge difference in politics as you can imagine.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #1230 on: September 13, 2010, 12:11:23 PM »
9 million dollars, JEAN!  Wow!  I know Harold led a discussion on Audobon's life some time (years) ago.  Where is Harold?  We haven't heard from him in a long time!!!!

Mippy

« Reply #1231 on: September 15, 2010, 09:39:44 AM »
Life is full of surprises.   Yesterday I found out that my friend and painter/carpenter, Mark Adams, has traced his ancestry to THE  John Adams!   We are on Cape Cod, not very far from Quincy and other nearby towns where the family lived.   We have eaten at a restaurant across the road from the Barnstable County Courthouse, where John Adams worked when he rode on the circuit court, prior to serving in the Continental Congress.

That inspires me to re-read the wonderful biography of John Adams by David McCullough.  I also enjoy all the books, especially Albion's Ways, the Four Folkways,  by the historian David Hackett Fischer.
quot libros, quam breve tempus

mabel1015j

« Reply #1232 on: September 15, 2010, 12:13:41 PM »
I love hearing David McCoullough talk about history. I always feel like I'm in my living room talking with a friend and I loved the JA book, but I gave up on the Brooklyn Bridge book about 3/4' s of the way thru. It just seemed to be dragging and repetitive. Which may have been the way it was, but I didn't feel the need to slog along with them....... :)......Jean

kiwilady

« Reply #1233 on: September 15, 2010, 05:27:22 PM »
For those dog lovers! I picked up a delightful book ( its an old one) about unconditional love between a stray and very ill beagle pup and a journalist. Its mostly set in Paris but the journalist was American. It is called "Laurens story" An American Dog in Paris. The author is Kay Pfaltz. If you love dogs and want to know more about the REAL Paris this book is truly a delightful light read. I got my copy in large print. I borrowed the copy I read from one of our smaller branch libraries in a semi rural area.

Carolyn

mrssherlock

« Reply #1234 on: September 15, 2010, 06:35:29 PM »
I'm just dropping in to talk of two NF books on my list.  Scott Simon, host of NPR's Weekend Edition on Saturday mornings, has written about his adoption of two Chinese orphans.  Describing the other parents-to-be he and his wife were traveling to the orphanage with: 
Most of us had probably tried to start families in the traditional manner.  For one reason or another, the traditional result was not achieved.
  Baby We Were Meant For Each Other is the title. 

Let me quote NPR: 
John Vaillant's The Tiger is part natural history, part Russian history and part thriller; it tells a gripping and gory story of what it's like to stalk — and be stalked by — the largest species of cat still walking the Earth.

Not your usual history and biography but I thought you may be interested in them.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Frybabe

« Reply #1235 on: September 16, 2010, 09:04:41 AM »
My latest acquisitions from the used book store:
Of Making Many Books by Roger Burlingame
Lafayette, A Life by Andreas Latzko (translated from German by E. W. Dickes)
Adrienne, The Life of the Marquise De La Fayette by Andre Maurois (translated by Gerard
      Hopkins)

This week my PBS station had a program on about Lafayette. It reminded me of the two books I had seen last time I was in the book store. Of course I had to stop in and pick them up. It helped that there is a 50% sale on non-fiction this week.

I was excited to find Burlingame's book. It is printed on heavy stock with watermarking like the Eaton stationary I loved as a teenager. It's about the Charles Scribner and Sons publishing empire and their stable of authors. My book was published in 1946 and I paid $4 for it. I Googled and discovered that Penn State University has published a 1996 edition. Of course it is very expensive.

mabel1015j

« Reply #1236 on: September 16, 2010, 11:34:59 AM »
Carolyn - i sent your comment along to a friend who loves dog stories. She's going to check out her library for it. ........jean

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1237 on: September 16, 2010, 03:46:54 PM »
I saw the program on Lafayette. He had a very interesting life. Let us know if the biography is good.

marjifay

« Reply #1238 on: September 17, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
In case anyone might be interested, I just joied a Yahoo group that is going to read the Koran in November -- The Quran Reading Group.  They are an offshoot of Yahoo's Great Conversation group.  To start things off, in October they will read the book, Muhammad; His Life Based on the Earliest Sources by Martin Ling. 

It sounds like a group really interested in learning about Islam.  The promotion for their group reads: "The Qur'an reading forum is a group dedicated to reading and discussing translations of the Qur'an from a non-religious perspective. The goal of the group is to critically explore the Qur'an, and Islam, and the history of the Islamic world, while attempting to always be respectful of the traditions of Islam. We will strive to always remain open to the beauty of the Qur'an and the historical and religious perspectives that the Qur'ran can offer us. However, we will at the same time remain open to respectful criticism of the Qur'an and the traditions of Islam, even criticism which might call into question some of the traditional views of the Qur'an."

Marj

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #1239 on: September 17, 2010, 02:46:04 PM »
Marj: that sounds really good. How do I get into it?