Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 416288 times)

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #160 on: February 16, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
I am reading "China Road" by a guy from NPR or PBS and finding it quite an eye opener. 
Also, Ella asked me to mention the possibility of discussing "Loving Frank", about Frank Lloyd Wright and his real paramour.  The book is well written and full of much that is true, historically.  Since we have some of Wright's students' designed homes here in my home town of Columbus, OH, I found it a source of how Lloyd felt about his "Organic Architecture".  Anyone else interested???
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #161 on: February 16, 2009, 05:06:59 PM »
I have China Road ready to pick up at the library tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to getting into that one.  I hope it has good maps - I am woefully ignorant about the geography in that part of the world.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

marjifay

« Reply #162 on: February 16, 2009, 05:26:20 PM »
Mary, China Road is a very interesting read.  It has a great map so you can follow his trip across China.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

HaroldArnold

« Reply #163 on: February 16, 2009, 05:50:53 PM »
Do any of you remember the Readers Digest Condensed book club?    I was an early subscriber when it was first announced in 1955, and most of all I remember the first issue. That included an interesting history by Cecil Woodham Smith about the Charge of the Light Brigade.   The story is told against the backdrop of Tennyson’s famous poem.    In some 60 pages the famous charge is detailed with the conflicts and vanities of two leading generals (Lord Cardigan (he invented the jacket style and Lord Regan).  The story also details the role of the social and military system that put them in position of command and also notes the reforms that followed.

Last Saturday I ran across a copy of this volume at one of our Chandler campus libraries and brought it home to read, which was no major project in as much as in its condensed form it was reduced o about 60 pages.    A reprint paperback of the full length book is still in the B&N Catalog at

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Reason-Why/Cecil-Woodham-Smith/e/9780140012781/?itm=1   

Persian

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2009, 06:29:28 PM »
I love books with great world maps, so would really appreciate China Road.  I often turn to the National Geographic maps to "repeat" some of the trips I took while I spent a semester teaching in China in the mid-80's.  My son used some of the NG maps (and also the military ones, of course) during his two deployments in Iraq and Afghanistan.  And they have been wonderful resources for some of my public presentations.  I'm studying one now focused on Afghanistan and trying to learn as much as I can about the Swat Valley.

I also loved my collection of the Readers Digest Condensed Books through the years and have many still on the shelves.  My 45 year old son learned many history lessons in his youth from some of those texts.  They were "treasures" in our household!

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #165 on: February 17, 2009, 12:01:54 PM »
Great posts to read this morning.  The ideas!  The books!  The memories!

CHINA ROAD was a great book, ANN!  Several of us have read  and would recommend it.

And I have read LOVING FRANK and thought the book was very good.  It's a novel, but factual in every sense of the word.

Hello, MARJ!

HAROLD, goodness, yes,  I remember the condensed books.  When we were very busy young adults they were good to read, just to catch up on what was going on the literary world.  They didn't always take the place of the whole book, though!  Are they still being published, I have no idea.  I have all the time in the world now to read the whole story.

Hello PERSIAN!  Thanks for the post.  Can you speak Chinese?  Or did you teach English while in China?

HaroldArnold

« Reply #166 on: February 17, 2009, 07:11:30 PM »
Regarding the Reader's Digest condensed books series;  I don't think they are currently being published.  In fact I am almost sure that they are not.   I dropped my subscription a year or so later when apparently I found that even condensed book were taking too much of my time.

I remember a number of titles from the early series including several titles that later became movies.  These include "Good Morning Miss Dove and in particular "The Searchers" that was a popular movie based on the Cynthia Ann Parker incident.  She was the five year old Texas Girl who in 1836 was captured by Comanche during the Texas Revolution to grow up a Comanche and become the mother of Quanah Parker The last Comanche war chief.  Twenty years later she was “liberated”  by Texas Rangers, but unable to readapt to Anglo society she died just one year later.  The “Searcher” is a loosely related fictional account of a similar incident particularly one man’s persistent search for a Comanche Anglo girl captive that finally paid off with its success.  I think this historical event has been the basic formula for several 20th century novels and stories.

Quanah Parker, who was not taken when his mother was liberated remained Comanche throughout his life and is credited with moving his people into their new role in the 20th century.   He seems to have been a prominent crowd pleasing participant in the Theodore Roosevelt 1905 inaugural parade.  The Quaker missionaries at the Reservation kept urging him to give up all but one of his several wives, but he always refused saying he was not brave enough to tell the ones being rejected.   

Babi

« Reply #167 on: February 18, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
Harold, thanks for that story about Quanah Parker being asked to give up all but one of his wives. That gave me a smile to start my day.  Quanah Parker was a very interesting man.
   Not long ago I read a book about two girls taken by Indians and later 'rescued'.  It was called "Remember the Morning", but right now I can't remember the author.  Their years with the Indians were a marked influence in the girls' lives.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

CubFan

« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2009, 10:05:46 AM »
Greetings Babi -

Remember the Morning was by Thomas Fleming.  I have now finished that one as well as Liberty Tavern and am  into the Wages of Fame.   He does continue to use the same technique of  - alluding to the result of a decision - but it is not as overbearing as it was in the first book.  I have not become "connected" to any of the characters but am enjoying the settings  Remember the Morning is in the Mohawk Valley in the early 1700's when I had ancestors living there and involved with the French and Indian Wars.  Liberty Tavern - although set in New Jersey during the Revolutionary War - gave me a feel for the tavern owner and the committee of safety, which again an ancestor was a tavern owner and chairman of the committee of safety in NY.  The involvement of the Quakers was also of interest because my mother's ancestors were Quakers in NJ at that time.  In the Wages of Fame I am now into the 1820's which is a period of history that I  am weak in so it too is interesting. These books are not riveting for me - but there are well researched and I will finish the series.

In response to Ella's question -
Is anybody reading any good books lately?

I'm also reading The Power Broker by Caro which is interesting and frustrating.  FDR has just been elected governor of NY and he and Robert Moses detest each other.  Moses is one of those people who started out with good ideas and ideals and then when he had the power to do good let power become his objective. 

I would think that one of the reasons that Lincoln is considered a great president is because once he had the power he never forgot that his goal to preserve the union and he continued to use his power for that purpose.

A friend just loaned me "Amish Grace: How Forgiveness Transcended Tragedy" by Kraybill, Nolt and Weaver-Zercher about the school house shooting in PA in 2006. I will probably take a quick break from the others to read it. 

In the meantime - read some quick mysteries and a book by an acquaintance dealing with his (less than a year) losing battle with cancer.

Just received a reminder that winter is still alive in well - snow today and bitter cold and wind returning for tonight.  At least we know that March is only a week away. Soon I'll be able to sit outside in my swing and read to my heart's content.     Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »
No bites on "Loving Frank"???  Well, I have another title that I am also considering and its "non fiction".  Very timely book, about an American building schools in Pakistan and NE Afghanistan.  "Three Cups of Tea" is the title.  Very good reading.

There are no maps in the hard cover of "China Road" but I think if you have a good atlas that you could follow the trip.  This book does surprise.  Just the number of people in that country is amazing.  My son was in Bejing last year and he said that the huge numbers of people, out walking and shopping, is overwhelming.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #170 on: February 18, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
I got my hard-cover copy of China Road from the library yesterday, and it has an adequate map in the front of the book - not very detailed, but it'll do.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Babi

« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2009, 08:40:20 AM »
Thanks for the info., CUBFAN.  I wish I had more specific information about my ancestry; it would be interesting to read the history of their times and places. What I know is too vague to be of much use.
  Sorry,  Annie.  I wanted to read "The Silk Road", which I believe covers the same caravan route as the China Road.  I've heard good things about "Three Cups of Tea". I think I'd be interested in that one.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2009, 09:22:48 AM »
Here is the route that Rob Gifford took across China.

http://www.npr.org/programs/morning/features/2004/aug/china_road/

Plus Gifford's breakdown of the trip.  Very nice! Lots of pictures!

mabel1015j

« Reply #173 on: February 20, 2009, 03:27:55 PM »
The "Snoop" book, about what your stuff says about you, turned out to be a bore. It sounded so entertaining..........oh, so it goes...........

I'm also reading "First in HIs Class" Bill Clinton's life up until 1992. And then i was looking for something to read while on the treadmill, so in looking at my stash i found Bob Woodward's "The Agenda" - Bill Clinton's campaign and administration, so i'm sort of reading BC in a schizoid fashion. LOL...........jean

Persian

« Reply #174 on: February 20, 2009, 03:35:10 PM »
ANNIE - if you have additional comments about Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea
I'd be interested in reading them, since I'm scheduled to talk about Afghan culture at one of our local libraries on March 10 and 11 in connection with his experiences in Afghanistan.  I've known (and worked with) several Afghan educators and numerous Americans who have worked hard for many years to bring various aspects of education to children and youth in Afghanistan.  I'm familiar with Afghan tribal and clan culture, but have been pondering for several weeks about how much detail to present to the library discussion group.  I've even contacted several Afghan friends in the metropolitan Washington area to get their advice.  All 3 answered "take it easy."

ELLA - Yes, I was able to talk with my students in Chinese when I taught in Sichuan province in the mid-80's.  Although my university classes were in English, of course, the students were happy that we could also communicate in Chinese.  I have always considered myself fortunate be to from a multicultural and multilingual family background.  I've enjoyed learning languages for my own enjoyment, as well as at a professional level when I needed to do so.

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #175 on: February 22, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »
I don't remember who recommended "The Bookseller of Kabul", but I want to thank that person.  I am reading it and finding it most interesting.  Thank you.

Babi

« Reply #176 on: February 23, 2009, 10:09:19 AM »
I read that one, FLAJEAN, and found it interesting, but most disturbing.  I spent a good deal of my reading time being upset and angry at the treatment of the women of the family.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #177 on: February 24, 2009, 10:41:34 AM »
Certainly someone is reading a good nonfiction book!

Let us know!!!  I am in dire need of a good one!

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #178 on: February 24, 2009, 12:06:11 PM »
Babi, I did also.  My blood pressure went up when I read about Mansur (I won't repeat my opinion for him) forbidding his mother to teach even 'tho her husband was OK with it.  IMO I think this book gives a more real and rounded picture of Afghan men than "Three Cups of Tea".  However, I did enjoy "Three Cups of Tea" also.

Jonathan

« Reply #179 on: February 24, 2009, 04:46:14 PM »
Sure, Ella, I can recommend a good one that I'm reading now:

109 EAST PALACE, by Jennet Conant. It was resting on my shelf unread, until you brought up the subject of Los Alamos, and the Manhattan Project. Once I had watched The Trials of Robert Oppenheimer that you mentioned, I was hooked on the subject. Conant's book is perhaps more human interest stuff than the rocket science nature of atom bomb construction. The subtitle is: Robert Oppenheimer and the Secret City of Los Alamos. I'm pretty certain I'll be reading another book I've had for a while:

AMERICAN PROMETHEUS: The Triumph and Tragedy of J. Robert Oppenheimer, by Kai Bird and Martin J. Sherwin. Has anyone read it?

Babi

« Reply #180 on: February 25, 2009, 09:27:12 AM »
I am presently reading "Let's Roll", the Todd Beamer biography by his wife (with a co-writer) Lisa Beamer.  After reading and hearing so much about dysfunctional families, it is nice to read about healthy, happily functioning families. 
  That said, it is only our natural desire to know more about the heroic Todd Beamer that gives us a reason to read the book. There is nothing there to excite interest otherwise.  I can't help but feel my interest in Todd would have been sufficiently satisfied with a good magazine article.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #181 on: February 25, 2009, 01:36:09 PM »
Thanks, BABI!!   But I have read one or two books about Oppenheimer, who was mistreated by the government after the bomb, as I remember.  The colonel (or was he a captain) in charge of Los Alamos at the time was a real tyrant, but possibly needed to keep that place secret from the world.  What a secret!!! 

Have you read anything that mentions any spies or enemies who might have somehow come in contact with that project?  We knew about the Germans perfecting their bomb, I wonder if they knew anything about Los Alamos or that project.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #182 on: February 25, 2009, 01:39:53 PM »
I watched a portion of documentary on Hurricane Katrina last night and wonder if anyone has read a book about it?  I think it would make a good topic for discussion if I could find a good book.

joyous

« Reply #183 on: February 26, 2009, 12:33:20 PM »

I certainly do not need a book about Hurricane Katrina------I lived it (I am in Louisiana)----
however, there are plenty of books out there about that tragedy.
JOY

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #184 on: February 26, 2009, 09:32:00 PM »
JOY!  How did you survive?  Still have your clothes and house?  Do you think the city will ever be rebuilt?  People move back?

Tell us a bit about it, we have heard so much and are not sure what is the truth.  Who was at fault, if there was fault?

I brought home from the library two books on the hurricane, I am not sure that either is what I am looking for but, as you say, there are many!

joyous

« Reply #185 on: February 28, 2009, 07:19:29 PM »

Ella: I live in Baton Rouge---up river about 80 miles from NO, so we did not feel the effects of
Katrina as did the people in NO. However, let me tell you we felt ENOUGH. My youngest dtr (36) and family live in Mandeville ---a city on Lake Pontchartrain which is across from NO.  She and family evacuated to BR, and 2 dtrs here and their families, and I--along with the dtr from Mandeville all "camped out at one dtr's house because we thought she was in a place that would probably not lose electricity--------NOT SO. Electricity was out for about a week---
depending what part of the city you were in.  And let me tell you, Louisiana is HOT in Sept.  >:(
All you have seen on the news was true, thousands evacuated, thousands sick in hospitals, evacuation centers , nursing homes (lots of nursing home patients were sent here to Baton Rouge, as well as all over Northern Louisiana and other states). No, New Orleans will NEVER be the historic city it was, but they are TRYING. My dtr's MIL lost EVERYTHING but the clothes she
evacuated with (from NO) and countless others were in the same predicament.  I could go on-
and-on with horror stories, but suffice it to say it was the hurricane of the centaury-bar none!
Joy

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #186 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:31 PM »
ELLA: I was working for a top-secret project (not Los Alamos) during the fifties, and I will never forget the paranoid attitude of those days. We had to take lie detector tests twice a year where they asked if we were Communists. They asked if we had ever read Marx. I had read "The Communist Manifesto" as part of a Collage "famous documents of history" class. So I had to explain that I had read Marx, but I didn't want to.

I was never allowed to work on the most secret projects, and I suspect that was why.

Persian

« Reply #187 on: February 28, 2009, 10:59:29 PM »
Did the earlier proposed discussion of 3 Cups of Tea ever receive enough interest to begin the discussion?  I'm interested since I'm working on my presentation on Afghan culture for a local Library group on March 10th.  If there was a discussion, I'd appreciate knowing how participants felt about Mortenson's remarks.

winsummm

« Reply #188 on: March 01, 2009, 01:21:22 AM »
pedin mentioned "three cups of tea"

I just finished it and feel so differently about pakistan and aphganistan.   \\ theme is that adducation and expecially fr girls itthe answer to the Taliban and Alcaeda.  the theme is that once a person gets into learning something other than killing and praying he is able to contribute in a posative way and peace prevail.  The important aspec of this is that schools for girl contribute the most.
I have learned so much about what is going on in pakistan and afganistan both poor countries forced by taleban and  alhaeca to live a lifeless existance. , .especialy the women..and financed by the saudis.

the whole book suggests that building grammer school for the children is a way out and its tone is compassionate.  writen by gregg mortenson and david relin. a MUST. it also gives suggestions for passing it on. educations helps us all to being peace.
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #189 on: March 01, 2009, 01:33:20 AM »
morenson felt an obligations to educate the girls expecialy in the far flung villages of pakistan and later afganistan. His premise that it would be harder for aelida dn the taliban to recrute from them if they had been taught to think fo themselve.  Te whole book seems to ride on a theme of compassion for these peopl.  He fund themn easy to love.

easy to understand as poor people making do.  I did too. the co-write david relin found this tone and used it throughout.  there i a region at the back suggesting ways we can all help.

I find spelling a problem, so many unfamiliar names, but it is worth it  --   a great read.

claire

claire
thimk

Babi

« Reply #190 on: March 01, 2009, 10:17:09 AM »
I've started reading "The Faith Club", the story of the three women, Muslim, Christian and Jew, who began comparing their faiths in order to write a book explaining them to their childen.  Someone here recommended it, I believe.
  I am finding it to be a very honest and open look at the questions which people of each fatih find most sensitive and difficult to discuss. I am greatly impressed with the way these women worked past things that initially upset them, to come to a better understanding.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2009, 10:48:08 AM »
I don't know, I feel that there was a rush to put a book into print before Ted Kennedy died and it doesn't seem appropriate for some reason.  The name of the book is THE LAST LION. 

An interesting one on our Library home page is: 

Not Buying It: My Year Without Shopping
By: Judith Levine

Many of us have tried to call a halt to our spending at one time or another. But what if we decided not to buy anything for a whole year? In honor of National Consumer Protection Week, we feature Not Buying It, a cold-turkey confession by an award-winning journalist that follows her progress--and inevitable relapses--

Personally, I never shopped much anyway except for groceries, so not a problem!  You reach a certain age and there isn't much need.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2009, 12:49:55 PM »
I've just finished China Road.  Thanks for the recommendation.  It was a very good read - and I certainly learned a lot about China that I never even thought of before.  It's a very readable, personal story, but with lots of information.  John's reading it now.

Fran

« Reply #193 on: March 04, 2009, 11:54:36 AM »
I just finished reading "Mrs.Lincoln" by Catherine Clinton and truly enjoyed it. I found I got to know and understand Mary Lincoln in a "better Light." These are  some comments written by Doris Kearns:  "In this remarkable book, Catherine Clinton displays an emotional depth in her understanding of Mary Lincoln that has rarely been revealed in the Lincoln literature.  This engaging, wonderfully written narrative provides fresh insight into this complex woman, whose intelligence and loving capacities were continually beset by insecurities.  It is a triumph."
by Doris Kearns Goodwin

marjifay

« Reply #194 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
MaryZ, you probably remember in China Road how anxious the Chinese Communist Party is about seeing that the standard of living there keeps rising so that their millions of citizens  won't brood over their lack of real freedom and other problems and possibly decide to revolt.  There is an article today on the front page of the NY Times online about this subject.  It talks about how the leaders are meeting to talk about increasing their own stimulus package they've already pledged of $584 billion. 
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

lucky

« Reply #195 on: March 05, 2009, 08:04:16 PM »
Lately I have been reading books dealing with panics, money manias and depressions.  Nial Ferguson's latest book "The Ascent of Money "is fascinating.  He begins with the first coins used in Mesapotamia and takes us up to our latest financial downturn.  There is a very interesting book, (perhaps one could call it revisionist history) on the Great Depression by Amity Shlaes, "The Forgotten Man." Books on money manias, panics and crashes gives up hope.  We learn that the United States has lived through many of these downturns starting with the panic of 1792.  We came through many of these crises and we survived.  We will come through this one too.

Babi

« Reply #196 on: March 06, 2009, 09:14:06 AM »
I am firmly convinced that human society goes through regular swings, like those of  a pendulum.  At each end of the arc are extremes which seem dire and threatening, but always we turn back from that threat and return to a norm, only to swing too far to the other side.  It's a repetitive pattern, but reassuring in its own way.

CubFan

« Reply #197 on: March 06, 2009, 09:34:06 PM »
Greetings -

Have just finished two interesting titles.  The Children's Blizzard by David Laskin - about a horrific blizzard that hit the Dakota territory in 1888.  It not only introduces us to the pioneer settlers of the time but also the politics of weather forecasting.  Puts our current weather situations into perspective. As much as I'm tired of snow shoveling and cold weather this year - it has really only been an inconvenience - not life threatening.

Also read, Amish Grace, by Kraybill, Nolt, and Weaver-Zercher.  This title gives an understanding of the Amish way of life and how they are able to forgive, even following the killing of the ten school girls in Pennsylvania, October 2006.

Both books explained their situations well.      Mary

"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #198 on: March 07, 2009, 01:10:20 PM »
HI FOLKS!

All those books sound good, I've got so many to read but I have a project underway at the time and it is called - DISCUSSING TEAM OF RIVALS, by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

WE NEED YOUR INPUT!

The Civil War!!!  Who did it?  Why?  Did they know how it would split the country?  Did they care?  After all those fabulous revolutionary days and people, they were giving up on it?

Whether you are reading the book or not - GIVE US AN OPINION!  A ROUND TABLE DISUSSION.

Here -     http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=271.40

lucky

« Reply #199 on: March 07, 2009, 02:51:26 PM »
I would like to recommend two books, one a hugh volume on the history of New York City, starting with the colonization by the Dutch in the 16th century, l7th century, 18th century and 19th century New York City.  It is called Gotham and is over 1,000 pages but if you were born in New York City as I was ( actually Brooklyn) you will find it amazing.  The other volume is much smaller and very entertaining.  It's called "Low Life", by Luc Sante, and it is exactly what it says, the low life of l9th century New York City, gangs, crooked police, crooked politicians, political bosses, houses of ill repute, opium dens etc.  If "Gotham" appears overwhelming do read "Low Life".  You will not regret it.