Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 415985 times)

mabel1015j

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #200 on: March 07, 2009, 04:11:00 PM »

TO NONFICTION BOOK TALK

What are you reading?  Autobiographies, biographies, history, politics?

Tell us about the book; the good and the bad of it. 

Let's talk books!

Discussion Leader: Ella Gibbons

They sound interesting Lucky, i'll look for them..............jean

Fran

« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2009, 11:06:20 AM »
Elizabeth Keckley
 Behind the Scenes or, Thirty Years a Slave,
and Four years in the white House

This book features a candid private view of the Lincoln White House during a violent turning

point in American history, and the story of a friendship that continued after Lincoln's

assassination.

Introduction and Notes by--William L. Andrews

mabel1015j

« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2009, 11:11:22 AM »
Do you know the publishing date of the Elizabeth Keckley book? I read a book about her many years ago and it was very interesting. She ended up being one of the few "friends" of Mary Lincoln, as i recall, and really took care of her - mentally and physically, as much as she could - w/ a compassion.............jean

Fran

« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2009, 01:31:51 PM »
Jean, I'm copying this from my paper back copy:

First published in the U.S. by G.W. Carleton & Co. 1868

This edition with an introduction and notes by William L. Andrews 2005
--Fran

Sandy

« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2009, 02:04:45 PM »

I have just finished three memoirs - Dewey (the Library Cat)by Vicki Myron, My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor, and Isabel Allende's The Sum of Our Days. 

My Stroke of Insight was written by a 37 year-old brain scientist at Harvard as she clinically recorded her stroke and recovery. It is a fascinating study in depth of the roles the right brain and left brain each played in her recovery.

Isabel Allende's book continues her memoirs of life in California with most of her family from Chile with her as well as her second husband (an American) and her children. I believe she is a wonderful writer.

Sandra

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #205 on: March 11, 2009, 11:19:54 AM »
All those memoirs sound interesting, SANDRA!  Thanks for suggesting them.

On BookTV over the weekend I heard the author, Cullen Murphy, speak about his book, ARE WE ROME, and although I just heard bits of it due to a long telephone conversation, I heard enough to look the book up when I am next in the library.

The author said one of the reasons Rome fell was because the populace became complacent and America never has been in its history.  We are a country who is always looking for ways to do better, monetarily and morally.    I wish I had heard more of the discussion.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #206 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »
Ella, http://www.booktv.org/ is the link to the BookTV web page.  I think I heard at one time that you could now listen to interviews on the computer.  I didn't look, but you might be able to find the one you want there.  Good luck.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

lucky

« Reply #207 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:52 AM »
For history buffs I would like to recommend "Stalin, The Court Of The Red Tsar" by Simon Sebag Montefiore, everything you ever wanted to know about Stalin and everything you wish you didn't know.

mabel1015j

« Reply #208 on: March 12, 2009, 02:07:48 PM »
March is Women's History Month. What good books have you read that talked about women's role in history?

Just last night i had a wonderful experience in women's history. Women's Way in Philadelphia, which is a "United Way" for women's agencies and issues, give an award each year to the author of a book which advances the dialogue about women's rights. It's given in the name of Ernesta Drinker Ballard who was the first president of Women's Way. W'sW was started in the 70's when the United Way of Phila was giving very little money to women's agencies and projects. Ballard was a dynamo for women in PHila, in many areas of life.

The winner of the award last night was Laurel Thatcher Ulrich, the author of sev'l books about colonial women, but is most famous for putting a phrase in a journal article in the 1970's about colonial funerals that said "well-behaved women seldom make history!" That phrase has been picked up and used on every surface - t-shirts, mugs, pens, banners, etc. etc. and is the title of her latest book.  This book focuses on Christine de Pisan, Elizabeth Cady Stanton and Virginia Woolf, but goes on to chapters entitled "Shakespeare's Daughters," the Amazons," Slaves in the Attic," and others. She is really talking about all of us ordinary women who "make" history w/out ever having our names in history books. Gerda Learner has said everyone is making history. Do you think she's right?

I say to my students that everyone whose name is in a history book was/is a radical. Do you agree? They weren't behaving as normal, everyday people, or thay would not be noticed enough for us to still know their names.

Another of Ulrich's books i enjoyed was "The Age of Homespun." That was her first book and was about colonial women. ...................

Last night she talked about how the interest in many groups civil rights and history during the 60's, 70's and 80's brought an huge expansion of what is history and how it makes "history" a vastly different thing now than it was in 1965.

Gerda Lerner has also said that one of the reasons women have been limited in their accomplishments is that they don't know their history and what they had already accomplished. What books have you read that gave you a different perception of women thru history?........................jean

Babi

« Reply #209 on: March 13, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »
I recently finished reading "The Faith Club", which may have been recommended here.  I greatly appreciate that recommendation, as this is a book well worth reading.  The three women, a Muslima, a Jew, and a Christian get together with the idea of coming to an understanding of one another's faith, so they can write a children's book explaining those beliefs. 
  The women come to grips with some very hard issues, are sometimes hurt or offended, but they continue to work it out together.  They become close friends, with the added benefit of a deepened understanding in their own faiths as well as a new acceptance of that of others.  IMO, these three women have demonstrated how it should be done. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #210 on: March 17, 2009, 10:54:46 AM »
Am reading "My Guantanamo Diary, The Detainees and the Stories They Told Me" by an American Afghan lawyer named Mahvish Rukhsana Khan.  She received her secret clearance and was hired by the gov. because she could speak the Pashtoon language.  It is so sad to hear stories of some innocent Afghans that were turned in by their own Afghan people for the $25,000 that we offered them.  But, unfortunately, they languished in "Gitmo" for years before our Gov. let them go and many of them were tortured.

Frybabe

« Reply #211 on: March 17, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
That is interesting Flajean. I didn't know there was a reward offered except for Bin Laden. Some people will accuse others of misdeeds just to get the money and/or they see a way to get rid of someone in the neighborhood they don't like and want to cause them lots of trouble. This brings into question just how many at Gitmo were falsely accused.

Persian

« Reply #212 on: March 17, 2009, 10:37:31 PM »
BABI - I am glad you enjoyed The Faith Club, which clearly illustrates that women of the Abrahamic faiths can work alongside each other when they allow themselves to listen to each other, discuss (without rancor) their differences (as well as similarities) and realize that they often have more in common than not.

This book was also mentioned in the recent presentation I did at a local library in connection with Greg Mortenson's Three Cups of Tea.  This is another marvelous example of how people of totally different backgrounds, interests and faiths can indeed come together, work together and create opportunities beneficial to all.

FLAJEAN:  I have known several Afghan female lawyers in the metropolitan Washington DC area (where I lived for many years), who took translator/interpreter positions similar to the one undertaken by Mahvish Rukhsana Khan.  These women shared their experiences with several of us who had backgrounds in the Middle East and/or Central Asia as a way to ease their own anguish about some of the stories they heard or read.  I also knew Afghan woman in the same area who developed small businesses and used the profits to contribute food items to previously incarcerated Afghan individuals once they returned (often in shame) to their families after long imprisonment.

Mahlia

Babi

« Reply #213 on: March 18, 2009, 09:07:02 AM »
FRYBABE, I think there is no question that many people were/are imprisoned at Gitmo on little more than suspicion.  The rights we take for granted were abrogated in the 'war against terrorism' that followed 9/11.  It is a moral dilemma, the necessity to do all that can be done to protect America vs. the undoubted harm done to innocent people.  I cannot help but feel we have gone too far at Gitmo, and done too little to clear and release those being held without sufficient cause.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #214 on: March 19, 2009, 07:51:36 PM »
We're proposing a discussion for May of "Three Cups of Tea". I've started the book, and had a hard time putting it down. It's the story of a "climbing bum", who got lost coming down from a failed attempt to climb K2, and wound up in a Pakistani village so small, it wasn't on the map. When he left, he promised he would come back and build a school. He wound up building over 100 schools for girls, in the area controlled by the Taliban.

If you're interested, come let us know in "Proposed discussions" or here:

http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?board=57.0

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #215 on: March 21, 2009, 09:40:30 AM »
I've just put a notice about a book I'm reading called Down the Nile in the Library , and rather than repeat it here I'll just give a link: http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=24.msg15486#msg15486

It's excellent, but ....frank. Maybe TOO frank for some people. It's one woman's journey alone rowing down the Nile in a rowboat, published in 2007. It is FULL of history, and it's fascinating.

it kind of fits in with your mention here of March being women's history month. I had no idea Florence Nightingale was far from a piaster saint and a very keen observer, now I want to read her book also. It's amazing what doors  one little set of pages can open. Come over and comment if you like. :)

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #216 on: March 23, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »
Hi Ginny!

I just requested the Library to reserve a copy for me and its purchase of 41 copies is an indication that the book is a popular nonfiction one.  Sounds very interesting and thanks for the recommendation!

Ann Coulter was on Book TV speaking of her new book: "Guilty.   Liberals:  Victims and their Assault on America."  I don't a thing about the woman but she is interesting to listen to and watch all  her gestures and body language.  I understand she is an author and a commentator of some sort.

Has anyone read any of her books?  Columns?  Where are they published?

mabel1015j

« Reply #217 on: March 23, 2009, 02:35:59 PM »
Ann Coulter is a hateful, self-aggrandising person. If she comes on to a program i am watching, i turn from it. I feel like i'm saying something to the channel/program but i don't know if they get the msg. (Do you think they are sophisticated enough to look at their viewing numbers in those small segments?)
I like opinionated debate of the various sides of an issue, but i want adult, mature, factual discussion, not just hateful name-calling, which is all Ann Coulter does. Unfortunately it seems to sell her books and has made her a wealthy woman............it amazes me how people will do anything to make money today, leaving all principles behind...................jean 

FlaJean

• FlaJean 2011
« Reply #218 on: March 23, 2009, 03:36:58 PM »
Jean, I agree with you completely concerning Ann Coulter.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #219 on: March 24, 2009, 10:45:12 AM »
Thanks you two.  I'll avoid her! 

Frybabe

« Reply #220 on: March 24, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
I saw a bit of Ann Coulter on the tube the other day. I didn't find her very interesting. Every chance she got she mentioned her new book, probably because the host actually wanted to talk about issues and didn't mention it. My best friend has one or two of her books. He says she is difficult to read, not because of content so much as writing style. I've read a few of her acticles, but I don't remember getting much out of them.

Babi

« Reply #221 on: March 25, 2009, 09:42:42 AM »
The Ann Coulter opinion poll seems to be unanimous.  I agree with Ella. It's good to know who not to waste one's time on.

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2009, 11:22:12 AM »
I am just finishing a cute book called "HOW STARBUCKS SAVED MY LIFE: A son of privilege learns to live like everyone else by Michael Gates Gill.  His father had written for The New Yorker for years, knew everyone that "was" someone, and had money.  The author also had a great job with an advertising firm, but then came divorce and a forced retirement and he was broke.  He is now working as a waiter at Starbucks and loving it.  He's met all the greats also, Hemingway, Robert Frost, and the rest of them.

You 'll enjoy it.

Also the NILE BOOK looks very good.  I'll get into that today.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #223 on: March 29, 2009, 06:45:33 PM »
Noteworthy New Nonfiction

I visited one of the large local Barns & Noble retail stores the other morning.  In fact myself and several of my Chandler neighbors had a tour of the store by the local manager.  I have been trying to get them to send me monthly the names of new nonfiction titles coming into their catalog with clickable links to their catalog for posting here.  I somehow don’t think that is going to happen.  I think they correctly sense its not going to result in any great sales response.   My purchases were limited to three Andre Rieu DVD’ and two manuals for Microsoft Excel 07 and Microsoft Vista, but I also browsed the nonfiction display tables where the following new nonfiction titles caught my eye.

Descartes Bones by Russell Shorto. 
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Descartes-Bones/Russell-Shorto/e/9780385517539/?itm=1

Act Like A Lady, Think Like A Man by Steve Harvey.  Click the link below for synopsis and information.   In this book the Author Steve Harvey presumes to advise modern women on their relationship problems.  My friend Brandy Davis bought this book.  I’ll see if I can get her comments for a later post.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Act-Like-a-Lady-Think-Like-a-Man/Steve-Harvey/e/9780061728976/?itm=1

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell.  Click the link below for synopsis and Information.  Here the Author studies the reason for the emergence of certain individuals as the best and the brightest.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Outliers/Malcolm-Gladwell/e/9780316024976 

Never Give Up!: Relentless Determination to Overcome Life's Challenges by Joyce Meyer.  This is another self-help title.  It profiles some fifty individuals who successfully overcame great obstacles to achieve success.  Click the following link for a synopsis and additional information about the author.   
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Never-Give-Up/Joyce-Meyer/e/9780446580359/?itm=1

Troublesome Young Men: The Rebels Who Brought Churchill to Power and Helped Save England by Lynne Olson.  When the War began on Sept 3 1939 Neville Chamberlin brought Winston Churchill from the back benches to head the Admiralty.  This book tells how a small group of young MP’s brought Churchill to power as PM on May 10th 1940 as German Panzers raced through Holland and Belgium into France.  Though another five years and a worldwide war was required to achieve final victory, Churchill’s bull doggish determination was a sharp contrast to the defeatist Chamberlin government and other possible alternates.  Clich the following for Information.
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Troublesome-Young-Men/Lynne-Olson/e/9780374531331/?itm=1

Does anyone have comment concerning any of these titles?

marjifay

« Reply #224 on: March 29, 2009, 11:25:29 PM »
Harold:  Thanks for the interesting list of books.

I saw the author of OUTLIERS (Malcolm Gladwell) on CSpan BookTV yesterday and put the book on hold at my library.  Looks very interesting.  I was fascinated by the author's discussion of countries which have the most airline crashes.  He talked about a crash of a Colombian airliner.  The investigators listened to the cockpit conversation on the "black box."  The co-pilot of that plane had tried excitedly to give some advice to the pilot, but the pilot ignored him.  In Colombian culture you don't question your superiors.

I've had TROUBLESOME YOUNG MEN on my TBR list.  Just have not  had time to read it yet.

I'm not much interested in self-help books.  I figure if I don't know by now at my age, it's kind of a waste of time to try to change.

As to Barnes & Noble, they send me a list of book recommendations periodically.  I went to their Book Club section, looked at some of their nonfiction books, and registered with them.  I find that Politics and Prose Bookstore in Washington, D.C. has excellent recommendations in their monthly newsletter.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Babi

« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2009, 09:15:55 AM »
In this book the Author Steve Harvey presumes to advise modern women on their relationship problems

'Presumes' is a good choice of words here, Harold.  I don't believe any man can truly see things as a woman sees them.  Our brains simply work differently. Not better or worse, but definitely different.  There have been some fascinating studies on the subject.

HaroldArnold

« Reply #226 on: March 30, 2009, 11:01:59 AM »
"I don't believe any man can truly see things as a woman sees them."  Babi, Message #225

How true, I gave up trying long ago!

Harold

Babi

« Reply #227 on: March 31, 2009, 08:10:44 AM »
 ;D

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #228 on: March 31, 2009, 10:18:36 AM »
Thanks, Harold!

I browse the B&N site often and my own Library's site online for suggestions for reading, but nothing beats going in person to a bookstore.  I do treat myself to a trip now and then and I write down titles that look interesting and reserve them at my Library.  I have learned through numerous purchases that a reading of a page or two, or the book jacket, does not a good book make.  I have no further room on my bookshelves anyway.

VIVA LA DIFFERENCE!

I never did read that book so popular a few years ago - MEN ARE FROM MARS AND WOMEN FROM VENUS.  Did anyone?  Does it attempt to explain the differences?   I think men and women compliment each other don't you?  If we were all alike, how boring!

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #229 on: March 31, 2009, 02:40:22 PM »
I find that Politics and Prose Bookstore in Washington, D.C. has excellent recommendations in their monthly newsletter.
Politics and Prose is just about the only small independent bookstore left in the DC area.  They seem healthy, but I try to get books from them whenever possible to do my bit.  They are one of those serendipitous places where you find books you didn't know about, and they also have good f 2 f discussions and many book signings.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #230 on: March 31, 2009, 03:07:00 PM »
The only thing I know about Politics & Prose is that many of the author talks on Book-TV (CSPAN-2) are held and filmed there. :D
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #231 on: March 31, 2009, 04:27:12 PM »
They're about 5 miles from my house, the second closest bookstore to me.

mabel1015j

« Reply #232 on: March 31, 2009, 05:13:46 PM »
The Politics and Prose bookstore has always intrigued me - just the name is intriguing. Sounds like a wonderful place to wander around.

I'm almost finished reading First in His Class, DAvid Mariness' book about Bill Clinton. I'm glad i'm reading it. BC is an enigma. Is he sincere, is he really that curious about everything and everyone? Knowing he's so smart, is every statement a game? Those have been some of my tho'ts as i've watched him thru the yrs. This book implies that he really is curious about everything and really does want to hear about people's lives or theories about everything. I still think he may have honed those skills as he realized that people, especially girls, at first, enjoyed spilling their ideas and life stories to him. But mostly it sounds like that behavior is genuine. Part of it seems to be his small-town-southerness, but then i think "Jimmy Carter doesn't seem to have that same ability to listen." He's also very bright, but prefers to "lecture" rather than listen, IMO.

Any way, i recommend First in His Class. It also reminds us of the angst that the society was going thru in the late 60's and 70's about the draft and Vietnam. i'm just getting into the section about his relationship w/ HIllary. DM gives us a good look at her background too. The book ends at his election in '92.............................jean

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #233 on: April 01, 2009, 09:16:35 PM »
OH, PAT, TO HAVE A BOOKSTORE THAT CLOSE!  Heaven!

And, JEAN, you have intrigued me, I will get that book about Bill Clinton.  Are you interested in reading the one he wrote?  My sister and I are thinking about taking a driving trip together in June and ending up in Arkansas to go to his library. 

mabel1015j

« Reply #234 on: April 02, 2009, 03:15:17 PM »
Ella - i have the Bob Woodward book about the Clinton admin on TBR list, so that one will be next - sorry, can't remember the title right now, i'll get back to you. I think BC's autobio is huge............i may be sick of him after i finish the first two, but it would be interesting to have his perspective and compare it to what the other two authors have said...............I would be really curious to see his library, lucky you................jean

HaroldArnold

Re: Inside the Clinton Whitehouse
« Reply #235 on: April 02, 2009, 07:01:24 PM »
The Bob Woodard book on Clinton noted above is The Agenda- Inside the Clinton White House.  It was first published in Nov 2005.  For more information click the following

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Agenda/Bob-Woodward/e/9780743274074/?itm=1       

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #236 on: April 03, 2009, 01:37:25 PM »
JEAN, I meant to get that BC book at the Library, but was in a hurry and forgot it.  Instead I grabbed two books from the nonfiction shelves; both look good.

BARBARIANS AT THE GATE, the Fall of RJR Nabisco, by Burrough and Helyar, published in 1990.  "One of the greatest business books ever written" said a critic on the New York Times.  Reads well; at least the first couple of pages, hahahaaa  Something new to read.

ISAAC'S STORM by Erik Larson.  For some reason it is very familiar!!  Perhaps I've read it before, which has happened on occasion. 

I also brought home a CD which I am hoping will catapault me out to the treadmill in the garage to exercise.  It is FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT by Ada Huxtable, an architecture critic.  This could be a companion to the book we are going to read in fiction in May. 

marjifay

« Reply #237 on: April 04, 2009, 06:30:44 AM »
I own Eric Larson's book, ISAAC'S STORM, about the awful 1900  hurricane storm that destroyed part of Galveston and killed over 6,000 people.  Several friends and I were going to drive thru there a while back, but went another way instead, and I've never read the book.  It's supposed to be very good.
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #238 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
MARJIFAY:  I am skipping all the detailed scientific parts of the history of weather in the book ISAAC'S STORM.  Some might enjoy that, however.

Before I get too far into that book I finished DOWN THE NILE by Rosemary Maloney.

I liked the book, and the sights she saw in Egypt; the historical part of the book.  However, I cannot understand her reasoning for rowing on the Nile.  She describes her desire to be alone in a rowboat on the water and I keep thinking why in Egypt?  She could be alone on the water in a rowboat anyway in the states, but , of course, the book and her adventures could not have been written in this manner.  She can speak but little Arabic and a white woman, non-Muslim, even though dressed conservatively, buying a boat and traveling alone arouses great interest among the people, particularly the men who think all western women are sinful and prostitutes.

HaroldArnold

Re: Non-Fiction-Regarding Isaac's Storm
« Reply #239 on: April 08, 2009, 12:31:36 PM »
The following is a Sept 1998 post I made to the old (now archived ) History Board commemorating the 100th anniversary of the great Galveston Storm:

September 8, 2000 - 08:28 am
Today is the 100th anniversary of the great killer hurricane that struck Galveston, Texas on September 8th & 9th, 1900. How much above 100 MPH the winds were can never be known as the measuring instruments were blown away when they reached that speed. There were as many as 8,000 people killed or missing and presumed dead when the storm finally subsided. This was about 17% of the population (Ap 9,1909) I‘m not now sure of this figure I now think it was much higher) . In terms of lives lost this was the most destructive natural disaster to ever have hit the U.S. The entire island that then was was nowhere more than a few feet above the sea was inundated by gulf tides. Every structure on the island was either swept away or damaged.

At the time the city of Galveston was a thriving port and the commercial center of Texas. There were three very prominent families who were business and civic leaders, the Sealeys, Moody’s and Rosenbergs. Each of these families owned great three story Victorian homes on Broadway with such architectural features as imported Italian marble trim and more importantly a structural steel core. They survive though the lower floors were flooded. It is said that many less secure neighbors were taken-in during the heights of the storm.

After the storm the city went through a decade of re-building. The elevation of the center of the Island was raise several feet by dredged silt pumped from the gulf. More significant a sea wall was built to shield the city from the tidal surge that in 1900 raged unimpeded through the city. Though Galveston never resumed its pre-hurricane position of State commercial leadership it has prospered in this century. Today it is an active port and  tourist Mecca. It has had several visits by killer hurricanes since but so far its sea wall has kept the destructive tidal surges from the town.

In a follow-up post I linked the following 1908 photograph made by my Grandfather of a section of the then new seawall 

http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~hharnold/T006Lg_Pg.htm

Today the left side of the picture showing  a section of the new seawall would appear virtually unchanged, but the center and right side will show a 10 lane automobile jammed boulevard  with some 20 miles of high rise hotels apartments, and etc.
And:
Click the following Link to review all of the interesting 1998 posts on the oldarchived History Board.    http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/general/HistoryBiography/History&HistBiographies6-00.htm