Author Topic: Non-Fiction  (Read 254172 times)

hats

Re: Non-Fiction
« Reply #2960 on: May 09, 2017, 11:39:22 PM »
Yes, it's me. Thanks for the welcome. Just stopping by. I will head to the Archives and look up "...Mr. Tiffany."

Jonathan

« Reply #2961 on: May 11, 2017, 02:08:07 PM »
How nice to see posts from Friends. I won't say 'old', because I'm in a state of denial about that and I don't get the impression of that in your posts.

Thanks, MaryZ, for the confirmation on the president in the frame in the Oval Office. And the info that Andrew Jackson is the President's hero. The author (with the Pittsburgh Gazette) of another column in my paper suggests that the president is not well read. He has Andrew Jackson active  in the Civil War period.

Thanks, Kidsal, for the information aboutCity of Light, City of Poison, I'm going to look for that one. I'm wondering if  it deals with the events which are the subject of a book I've had on my shelf some time and have been meaning to read: The Affair of the Poisons, Murder, Infanticide and Satanism at the Court of Louis XIV Is the police chief in your book one Nicolas-Gabriel de La Reynie?

How nice to hear from you, Hats. It's so long ago since I first began enjoying your posts. Best Wishes.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2962 on: May 11, 2017, 03:07:17 PM »
reading a great book for us science nerds: "Furry Logic." by Matin Durrani, Liz Kalaugher

t explains how animals use physics to solve everyday problems.

Based on this book, I am creating a number of physics antidotes with morals to tell my grandchildren: moral lessons through physics. The first was how mosquitoes use Newton's second law to avoid being killed by raindrops. (short answer: they go with the flow).

Last night I told them how geckos use subatomic forces to stick to the ceiling. (they stick one hair at a time, and we got into a discussion of how Newton discovered (now called calculus) that if you divided a problem into tiny bits, solved them one at a time, and put the results back together, you could do amazing things! (a good motto for this wedding we're trying to put together!)

The kids loved it, especially once I told them there were no tests, and they couldn't fail. I'm told  one of them bragged he was the only kid who could get into physics discussions with his grandmother.   

kidsal

• ::
  • Howdy from Rock Springs, WY
« Reply #2963 on: May 11, 2017, 04:04:35 PM »
Yes the police chief is de La Reynie.

Annie

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #2964 on: May 14, 2017, 09:12:16 AM »
Never heard of your book and physics was not my forte in school.  I only took it to escape taking chemistry. I love your talks with your grandchildren. They are learning strange things! Sounds like you are a perfect grandmother!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #2965 on: May 14, 2017, 11:03:51 AM »
...physics was not my forte in school.  I only took it to escape taking chemistry.
That's funny.  Most people think physics is even worse than chemistry.  :-\