Author Topic: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online  (Read 63590 times)

BooksAdmin

• TopicManager
Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Club Online
« on: September 30, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »

The Book Club Online is  the oldest  book club on the Internet, begun in 1996, open to everyone.  We offer cordial discussions of one book a month,  24/7 and  enjoy the company of readers from all over the world.  Everyone is welcome to join in.

Click register at the top of the page to create a username and password so that you can post messages in the discussions here on SeniorLearn.

Welcome! Everyone is invited!  

We are happy to announce that the author, Matthew Pearl, is joining us in the discussion of his  latest novel, "The Last Dickens," as he did with his "Poe Story"  and "The Dante Club.

Matthew's literary fiction picks up where Dickens left off in "The Mystery of Edwin Drood."  The story of the fate of Edwin Drood is a mystery within a mystery. When young Edwin disappears after dinner on Christmas Eve and his watch and chain are later found in the nearby river, everyone suspects foul play. Could one of Edwin’s acquaintances have murdered him – and, if so, what could their motive be?  Tragically, the mystery is destined never to be truly solved, as Dickens died before he could finish this novel – all that is left are the clues that can be found in the completed chapters.

Pearl  sends a partner of Dickens’ American publisher, James Osgood, to the Dickens' estate in England where we meet the "fugitives"  from the characters of Dickens' novel.  Is Edwin Drood dead or alive? Was he killed by his uncle, John Jasper? Or did he somehow escape that fate, possibly to return later?  We are anticipating more intrigue as Pearl's fictional characters search for answers in the author's well-researched fiction.

Chapter discussion schedule

October 1-6:     First Installment ~ Chapters 1-10 ~ June, 1870
October 7-10:   Second Installment ~  Chapters 11-17
October 11-13:  Third Installment ~  Chapters  18-22
October 14-16:  Fourth Installment ~ Chapters 23-26
October 17-28: Fifth Installment ~ Chapters 27-37
October 29-31: Sixth Installment ~ Chapter 40

Discussion Leaders: JoanP, Andy

Some topics for discussion  Oct. 1-6 : Chapters 1-10, June, 1870:
1. Were you surprised that the story opens in India, not London,  and in the same month Dickens died?  What is a dacoit?  What do you know of opium or landanum use in the 19th century?

2. What makes the dark stranger, who is  stalking the boy, stand out on the Boston dock? From his description, would he stand out anywhere?  Do you see any connection between him and the theft in the opening chapter?

3.  "Who could have told whether he had known ambition or disappointment?" Do you recognize this line Sylvanus Bendal reads in the bundle of paper  he takes from the dying boy?  Did he know what it was?  Why would he take it?

4.  Do you recognize any of the publishing houses in 19th c. New York and Boston?  How can Fields, Osgood and Co. hope to compete with the powerful NY publishers at this time?  How might the deaths of Daniel Sand and Charles Dickens affect  the Boston publishers?

5. What does Daniel Sand's sister's situation reveal about the position of women in the late 19th century? Do you think conditions were the same in US and England in Dickens' time?  Why did Rebecca choose seek a job in publishing?

6. "What good is a mystery novel without the ending?"   Do you agree that an ending must be found before publishing the unfinished novel?  How do Osgood and Fields differ as to how Dickens intended to end his story?

7. How did it happen that Osgood, not Fields, would go to England to find the end to Dickens' mystery as originally planned?  Do you expect that Osgood will solve Dickens'  mystery  - or create one of his own?

8. Mysteries within mysteries.  What do you see as the "mysteries" presented in these opening chapters?  Do you think they are somehow related?  

9. Why has Osgood been targeted by the diabolical figure?  What did you make of him? Is he "over the top?"

10. In this first Installment we have met a number of characters.  Which do you suspect to hear more from in future chapters?  

Some questions for Matthew

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
Re: Last Dickens, The ~ Matthew Pearl ~ October Book Cub Online
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2009, 09:56:05 AM »
Day 1 - here we go!  There is something so exciting about opening a new book, opening a new discussion!  And to make it even more special, we have the author, Matthew Pearl in our midst!  Some of us have just come from a discussion of Dickens'  Mystery of Edwin Drood.  Interest is high for clues as to whodunit...in fact, if Eddy Drood is dead or alive.  We can pepper Matthew with questions - but will have to keep in mind that this author is NOT Charles Dickens. ;) - Matthew has written a mystery all his own.

We are grateful  and honored to have you with us, Matthew!  And of course, we are happy to have the participation of our SeniorLearners as well!   Welcome everyone! We're off to London  India!   India?

ALF43

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2009, 11:24:21 AM »
TADA-
 We are finally here at the dawning of our discussion of Matthew Pearl's latest novel The Last Dickens.  What a coup for us that we have Matthew to ask about all of the unanswered questions that have arisen for the past century +.

Joan has introduced several questions that will facillitate the discussion but do not feel confined to only these thoughts.  Anything goes in a mystery, doesn't it?

Joan and I are delighted to have each and everyone of you aboard for this intriguing tale.  Please come in, sit down and join us in our transatlantic journey as we attempt to solve this mystery.  
It will be fun, suspenseful and compelling,  :D
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2009, 07:52:01 PM »
I've read the dirst section, and am eager to start the discussion tomorrow.

Deems

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2009, 08:14:37 PM »

I've read the first chapter--still have to get the book and play catch-up.  But I for one was astonished that the book opened in India.  At first I thought maybe the wrong book had wandered into the covers.  But, no, the inside title seemed to be right.  But I was disoriented and confused.  Soon I'm sure I'll be seeing something other than stars.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 08:22:23 PM »
Welcome, JoanK and Maryal, earlieeebirds!  You get your choice of the best seats in the house!  

That's how I felt too, Maryal!  Bengal, India.  After reading the first section, I think I see two possible reasons for opening here.  It was a stunning choice, wasn't it?  I would love to hear about the eureka moment when Matthew realized that this was going to be the opening scene for a novel about Charles Dickens, his death  and his unfinished novel...

What did you all think of Chapter 1?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »
I wonder if Mathew was making a parallel with the opening opium dream in "Drood".

ALF43

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 08:37:27 PM »
I believe he was Joan and it's a perfect segue into the story line, isn't it?
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »
I do believe you are on to something, JoanK, about the parallel between the opening of The Last Dickens and The Mystery of Edwin Drood. I'm looking forward to the discussion!

matthewpearl

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 10:08:44 PM »
Hi everyone! Great to have the discussion starting.

As with the other discussions I don't want to presume to give "answers" to interpretations, especially with such a smart group as all of you. But I did wake up one day and called my friend, saying, "I'm starting this book in Bengal."

In the meantime, there are a few links to posts I'm writing.

No "spoilers" although if you want to go into the book without any of my opinions on Dickens, you might skip them:

On Dickens as a writer of serial fiction:

http://bookchatterandotherstuff.blogspot.com/2009/09/guest-post-matthew-pearl-on-serial.html

On Dickens's amazing book tour:

http://www.ragingbibliomania.net/2009/09/guest-post-and-giveaway.html

On Poe and Dickens meeting:

http://www.redroom.com/blog/matthew-pearl/to-be-a-bee-wall-when-poe-met-dickens

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 01:16:55 AM »
Thanks very much, Matthew, for those interesting resources. I've started to explore them and will be back for more.

ALF43

« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 07:20:17 AM »
Good morning Matthew, I, too, shall venture into those sites after my 3 mile hike this AM.

I am so pleased that we are finally up and running, even if it is with these abominable dacoits.  By definition the word Dacoit translates roughly as "highwayman", BANDIT OR ARMED ROBBERY (Hindu) and is a particularly feared phenomenon in some parts of Pakistan and India. They loot, raid, plunder, murder and even kidnap, disappearing into their hideouts.
I suppose that the upheavel in this area gave impetus to their origin and these hooligans that we meet on pg.1 obviously do not fancy the jungle hideouts. They would rather terrorize the local population with impunity, retreating to their "elaka"- "that is where our elaka does not extend" says Turner.  Officer Turner cracks me up in this chapter with all of his BS and buffoonery; playing the big shot in front of Mason, the younger officer.  I love it, he takes the rifle which he only manages to kill a snake with  ;D and gives the "new guy on the block" the sword.  
I love a story that makes me giggle right off the rip with beguiling characters, shallow, but beguiling.      

matthewpearl

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 07:49:38 AM »
For those interested in the cover of "The Last Dickens," or book cover art generally, I'd also point to a post I did showing some of the early designs of the cover, and its evolution:

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=29977879540&start=10#/note.php?note_id=122350319604

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 09:16:15 AM »
Good morning all.  I've read the first 10 chapters, but do not have time to post anything but a little note at the moment.  I'm enchanted by it!

Matthew, I looked at all the suggested covers of your book and I disagree with your choice, your publisher's choice, whomever.  The fellow in the top hat in the fog would get my vote  (it may be overworked but like a good dessert it is always  delicious) and, secondly, I would like the carrige which is also on a foggy day (in London town?).  

Can fans somehow be involved in the choice of a cover?  How important is a cover?  More or less than the author?  

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2009, 10:56:58 AM »
Wow, I hadn't given much thought to the process of creating a book cover. Thank you, Matthew, for sharing the evolution of the hardback and paperback covers. An interesting cover does catch my eye when I'm just perusing a bunch of books. I like your choices (and some of the earlier versions too). The spires on the gate evoke in my mind the cathedral spires and a dagger/sword.... definitely mystery and danger.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 10:59:35 AM »
Good morning, all.  My, this first chapter starts us out with a mystery right off – why India, and did one of the two young policemen kill the prisoner Narain?

And more mysteries in the following chapters.  Who are all these people.  But then I got taken up with Osgood and Fields, and had to go back to the Dante Club to check my memory.  They played a part in solving that mystery, and now it appears they will have a much larger part to play.  This is going to be a great read.

I enjoyed looking at the cover evolution, Matthew, and thought your explanation about the spines to be most interesting.  I would never have realized how they tied your three titles together.  As for the paperback cover, your final choice seems very fitting.  I’m glad you didn’t choose the bloody hand.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 11:12:24 AM »
Good morning, everyone!  Good morning Matthew!  So much to think about on Day One.
Matthew, what a choice of covers - how did you ever make a decision?  I like that one too, Ella - but the one with the spires got my attention - not so much the fence, but the church spires reminded me of the cathedral town of Cloisterham where Dickens' Drood was set. I agree with you, Marcie.  And also the blade ties in with that awful walking stick.  I think its interesting to talk about the book, especially since the publishing industry gets such attention in this first Installment.  Matthew, it sounds to me like your publisher gave you latitude in the choice of book cover - and you in turn took into consideration the opinions of your fans.  I know some authors have been apologetic about their book covers, saying that they were designed and chosen by the publisher.  It sounds as if your publisher is more like the Fields, Osgood guys, rather than the New York  Harper Bros.  ;)

Can we talk for a minute about something that's been puzzling me as I read these pages?  Starting on page 39, there's this little illustration, like a little icon, that keeps popping up in future chapters.  What is it?  Do you all see it?  What does it look like to you?  Once we solve that, the real question will be - why does it appear at the start of certain chapters - and not others?  Will you watch for it in the future - see if there is a rhyme or a reason for its appearance?

matthewpearl

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 11:24:43 AM »
Oh, Joan P., you have such an eagle eye, but those symbols are just section breaks (sometimes it is just a space break, sometimes a symbol). You guys are the best detectives!

Thanks for everyone's comments on the cover, and it's absolutely the case that everyone has different favorites. But yes, I'm lucky to have more of a Fields-Osgood than a Major Harper!

At some point, remind me, I'll list all the titles we considered for the novel, which is a similar type of conversation/debate/evolution.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 11:27:59 AM »
Pedln, yes, why India?  That does get your attention, doesn't it?  As JoanK points out - there's the parallel with Dickens' opening opium den scene in Drood.  Here, the  thieves are after the opium being shipped from Bengal to - England, or to China?  I'm confused - my memory fails.  Opium is  a popular import in England at this time - though not regulated in anyway.  On the contrary, it is widely used - by just about everyone. What do you know about the use of  opium or landanum?  Did you use it on your babies?  Did your mama use it to sooth you?
A cash crop in India, being sent to England in large quantities so I'm not sure about a reason for the theft.  Are you? The stuff is growing all over India!

Pedln,  we're meeting a number of characters in this first Installment. I wonder how many will appear in the rest of the story.  Certainly the publishers will play a role, as you point out.  Good connection between Matthew's Last Dickens and his Dante Club....and the role of the publishers in solving the mystery.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2009, 12:29:41 PM »
Marcie found the icon in question and was able to copy it from one of Amazon's pages of your book, Matthew -

This symbol is so appropriate for the text - whoever chose it must have done so with the book in mind.  I'd like to know what it looks like to our readers?
The conversation/debate/evolution of the title of your book reminds me of what went on back in 1870 when the title of Drood was chosen.  Although I think the author had a lot to say about the selection...

ALF43

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2009, 02:26:27 PM »
I find that link that Matthew provided so informing.  I had no idea that the author had that degree of leverage while choosing the cover.  Might I ask, Matthew, IF you had that much say so why did you not put your name at the top?  I always was told that if an author finally "MADE IT" his name would be a the top, ABOVE the title.  

Plus the spine that fits with the other two novels. The Dante Club had "D", The Poe Shadow Poe "P", this is the "CD" from Dickens's monogram stationery.

I love that spine and I missed it!  I can't believe that i missed it!  "CD" - so very clever of you.

We had our cover and, once again, we were all happy with it. Yes, there's a top hat, but not an aggressive one.

That tickles me.  Who ever heard of an aggresive top hat?? 

ALF43

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 02:34:47 PM »
My, this first chapter starts us out with a mystery right off – why India, and did one of the two young policemen kill the prisoner Narain
?

It sure looks like ole Turner tossed the prisoner over the side of the train.
With a wild glint in his eye he said, "I looked the other way and Narain must have thrown himself out the window."  No I doubt if Narain did that without a heft from officer Turner.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 02:49:48 PM »
MATTHEW: your article about books as serials is very thought-provoking. yes, in current times of instant gratification, we're not going to wait for the next installment. (A friend of mine says "I want patience, and I want it YESTERDAY!")

Another friend told me her local newspapwere tried a serialized mystery story. I'll ask her how that worked out.

The idea of a conversation between Dickens and Poe is wonderful. Does this show up in the book (don't answer)?

So Dickens had a pet raven!?! I wonder if ravens had the sort of mystical aura for Dickens that they do for Native Americans, and evidently for Poe. Probably not, if he lived with one.

marjifay

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »
Hi all.  I'm in Chapter 18 and really liking this book.  (Which surprised me because I didn't care for the Dante Club; sorry to admit I got just a ways into it and did not finish.)   Maybe it's because this one captured my attention from the beginning with Mason and Turner looking for the robbers in Bengal.  Now I may to back and read Dante Club.

I wondered why Dickens' son was brought into the story.  Was it just to give us another aspect of Dickens, Sr.'s character/personality.  I think there's more to it, but his son certainly disliked him, didn't he?

Regarding the symbols, I thought maybe they were opium poppy plants, never having seen one.

Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2009, 04:51:25 PM »
I just finished Geraldine Brooke's March so I'm ready now to dive back into Dickens.  I was reading it last summer and it accidentally went back to the library before I was more than 1/4 of the way.  Lots of interesting points and questions to guide me as I read.  Matthew, so kind of you to join us.  I often wonder why and author does this or doesn't do that.  Not likely to find many places where you went astray, your skill is well proven.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 06:50:28 PM »
Mysteries, indeed.  And romance and a monstrous ugly fanged cane and death.  And India and opium, which crop the British protect as it brings money into their coffers.

Good chapters to explore!  I like the characters and Rebecca; she of the poor defenseless class of women who are alone in the world, dependent on others for sustenance, for jobs.  But -  Rebecca is prideful and beautiful and, no doubt, before the tale is told will profit from her experiences in London.

A raven, JOANK?  Where did you read that?  Ravens have a history at the Tower of London, you know, and must always be kept there.  

That ugly cane is following in the story, so  should we should be following it?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 07:11:33 PM »
Well, we certainly open with a bang.  My first reaction was: Bengal?  What does that have to do with anything?  But we're starting to find out.  With my shaky knowledge of India, I had to check the location of Bengal.  It's now divided between the eastern edge of India and Bangladesh, suitably close to China both for the British traders and the Dacoits to sell their opium.  England made quite a profit from selling opium to China, though China fought several wars to try to stop them.

It sure looks like ole Turner tossed the prisoner over the side of the train.
With a wild glint in his eye he said, "I looked the other way and Narain must have thrown himself out the window."  No I doubt if Narain did that without a heft from officer Turner.
I was being slow on that one, Alf.  I was thinking more in terms of Turner falling asleep and someone else pitching the bound prisoner out.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
On Dickens as a writer of serial fiction: a lot of us here experience serial fiction in these discussions--we read only the week's assignment, and don't read ahead.  I'm one of them, and I'll do it here, too, though I think it'll almost kill me with the suspense.  I did it in Drood, too.  You have a different experience this way; you chew over each section and speculate before going on, and it gives you a different feel for the book.  As a non-writer, it seems like a total horror to me to have sold a novel, published some of it, and maybe still not know how you're going to end it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 07:41:11 PM »
Book cover horror stories: I'm sorry I can't remember who it was, but I read a long time ago of a detective story writer who didn't get to see the cover art ahead of time, and it turned out to give away the murder method--a vital plot point.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 07:52:25 PM »
And PatH, how about the writer who publishes an installment or two and realizes he/she has a better idea where to take the plot.  Imagine trying to write your way around what you've already written!

I'm reading the way you are, Pat - and agree, you look closer at the nuances of each installment/chapter, when we discuss one installment at a time.   A word about Dickens - and Matthew Pearl.  They each provide us with 6 installments.  Dickens wrote 32 pages for each installment - never varied.  Whereas Matthew's six installment lengths do vary - quite a bit.  Take the fifth installment for example.  I'd still like to stick to discussing each installment separately, so have varied the time we'll spend discussing each installment. If you look over the discussion schedule in the heading, you'll see what I mean.  If you do read ahead, please keep an eye on the discussion schedule so you don't start talking about something the rest of us have not yet read.  I know you don't want to be a spoiler!  Nobody does.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2009, 08:03:47 PM »

Jackie, good,  you're here.  Can't wait for you to get a copy of the book. This kind of thing is your cup of tea.

Marjifay, so happy that you have joined us!Have you noticed that all this action in the first installment takes place in June, 1870, the same month that Dickens died.  Yes, we meet young Frank Dickens  who is a magistrate here in Bengal.  Perhaps this is another reason Matthew opens his story here.  We certainly get a closer look at the Charles Dickens, don't we?  Charles Dickens is turning into a character in this book - and you know, I hate to say this about a man so many worship - compare to Shakespeare, but he really isn't a very likeable man, is he?  Just between you and me...

Ella - yes, the cane, the man with the cane - we need to stop what we're doing and  follow him.  At first I thought he might be Narain, but we meet him that same day in Boston, so it can't be.  Who is this frightful character?  Is he also Indian? What did you make of him?

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2009, 09:05:04 PM »
ELLA:"A raven, JOANK?  Where did you read that?"

From Post 9, where Matthew posted three links: one about a meeting between Dickens and Poe. There's a picdture of Dickens' children with the pet raven, and M speculates that Dickens and Poe talked about ravens.

Do read the links--they're very interesting.

serenesheila

« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 07:18:45 AM »
I have read the first 5 chapters, so far.  Then decided to go back and reread them before reading the next  five chapters.  I am finding it difficult to remember, from one day to the next, what I read the day before.

As with several of you, I was surprised this book began in Bengal.  I am still wondering what Tuner, and his youger partner, have to do with anything.  I think that Turner tossed Narain out the train window.

I remember that, as a child,  I was given cough medicine with opium, or codeine, as an ingredient.  It seems to me that codeine was also an ingredient in Coco Cola.  Does anyone else remember that?  By the time I had children, beginning in 1953, I think these had been eliminated.  However, I do remember my grandmother giving my baby daughter, a "sugar tit", when she had colic.  It was about a tablespoon of sugar, in a cloth, dipped in whiskey.

I feel sad about Daniel's death.  How horrible to be run over by a vehicle.  I do like Osgood.  However, I do not like the policeman who takes him to the morgue.  Especially, the policeman's view of women working.  I guess that was the general opinion at the time.

ALF43

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:57 AM »
Holy smokes, who are all of these odious guys in Boston?   The one dude sounds like the devil incarnate, doesn't he, with his "killer" cane and his ugly features, "mostly hidden under an ear-to-ear- mustache."  

I don't mean to be insensitive but would why would an advance installment of thie Edwin Drood Mystery by Chas. Dickens cause so many people to murder?  Would it have been the same if other famous authors died prior to completion of their works?  
Was it because the serial was so anticipated each month that it would be worth assassinating people?  If I could just wrap my head around its importance than maybe I could understand the value.
Although, in Matthew's "Book Chatter" he brought back fond memories of me literally running to the Saturday afternoon matinees to watch the great old Tarzan movies. I couldn't wait to get there. 

ALF43

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2009, 08:55:20 AM »
oops we were posting at the same time Sheila.
You're right , at that point the British were promoting opium for medicinal purposes.  It is a narcotic and has been a highly lucrative multi-national industry , dominated mostly by the British for much of the 19th century.. Poppy farms and opium processing plants were abundant in India and the ships would bring the heavily guarded product to market for the smugglers to pick up supplies.

More than 2,000 years ago Homer described the curse of drug addiction. Today, the ancient curse is carried on in the form of the opium poppy, which in itself itself has zero value except for the narcotic drugs it produces.

Dickens wrote of this addiction in his Edwin Drood Mystery.

Most of the world's opium is grown in two areas of the world, Southeast Asia and Southwest Asia. After it is harvested the vast majority is sold locally as pure opium, addicting millions inside China, Burma, Thailand, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Tajikistan, Iran and other nations along the Asian trading routes.

The remainder is reprocessed into heroin for resale in Europe and America.

It is estimated that more than 20 million people are addicted to heroin worldwide. In 2001, the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency concluded that America has more than 100,000 heroin addicts.

Heroin is known to produce more than $20 billion in profits for criminal organizations and terrorist factions around the world, including the Taliban and al-Qaeda factions in Afghanistan, which provided protection to opium producers for a large fee.
~~~Newsmax.com

We are still losing this war.  Trust me, we just lost a son to a heroin addiction.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:46 AM »
Oh Andy, what a tragedy.  I am so sorry. {{{Hugs from all of us}}}  We are losing that war, aren't we?   The international trade is so great it seems impossible to establish any kind of control.   And then there are those who stand to profit from the sales here...the market is here.

Sheila, welcome aboard.   Your childhood memories coincide with what was going on in England in the late 19th century.  Landanum, opium was available over the counter - doctors carried it in their bags from home to home.  Administering landanum was as common as aspirin for whatever the ailment at the time.  (Didn't Coke contain a small amout of cocaine as an ingredient at one time?)  Did anyone suspect opium  was addictive at the time?

The real problem came to light in England when a new way of accessing an opium high was introduced - smoking it.  This became a tragic addiction.  This was the addiction Dickens wrote about in his Drood Mystery.  I've read that Dickens knew firsthand the hardship of losing friends and family to this addiction.  Wilkie Collins was one of them.  Either a son or a son-in-law was another.  I read somewhere that Dickens himself went to an opium den to research the effects of smoking opium firsthand .  Wouldn't you think that as part of his research that tried it?  It wasn't illegal at the time.  Or was it? Do you think he went simply to observe and take notes?  Shall we ask Matthew if his research went into this? Was there ever any talk that Dickens himself was a user? Shall we ask Matthew if his research went into this?

In the Last Dickens,  it is suspected that Matthew's character, young Daniel Sand, was an opium user.  The coroner seems certain that this is what killed him - he shows the symptons.  Do you believe this?  What do you think happened to Daniel?  Did you notice anything off about his actions that day?  He left Osgood and Fields that morning to meet the ship and pick up the bundle of advance installments firsthand.  Did this happen?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2009, 09:41:06 AM »
It is so much fun to read everyone's posts.  JoanP, I must reread that bit about Daniel being killed; my impression from a first reading is that he WAS NOT ON OPIUM at all.  Rebecca, his sister, believed she would have known it.  Didn't they live together?

Ella Gibbons

« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2009, 09:45:31 AM »
Andy, I can't tell you how sad I feel about your son; we have all lost loved ones for one reason or another. ((hugs from me, too))

D_____  drugs forever! 

I remember Hillary, in her new role as Secretary of State, made a statement that the drug trade from Mexico was America's fault. She said we are the users and it won't improve until we do something about it.  What, what?

The people in India were all on the opium drug according to the story; it relieved them of the sorrow of poverty, etc.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2009, 12:57:49 PM »
Andy, how dreadful for you and your family.{{{{more hugs}}}}

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2009, 01:09:50 PM »
I don't mean to be insensitive but would why would an advance installment of the Edwin Drood Mystery by Chas. Dickens cause so many people to murder?
It's got to be something to do with that particular copy.  It's hard to pin down the times, but by the time the lawyer Sylvanus Bendall was killed and the manuscript stolen from him, another copy had come from London; maybe there were even several copies, since both Osgood and Fields read it.  Perhaps Daniel's dying words clued Bendall in as to what it was, since otherwise, it seems extreme to wear a bulky manuscript under your clothes for days.