Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1968467 times)

mabel1015j

Re: The Library
« Reply #14560 on: January 14, 2015, 08:48:32 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

NYC libraries expand use of broadband and Google gives out Chromebooks

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/01/13/1357453/-New-York-City-libraries-are-doing-something-incredible?detail=email

Jean

MaryPage

« Reply #14561 on: January 14, 2015, 09:16:47 PM »
I LIKE THAT, BARBARA.

I LIKE THAT A LOT.  THANK YOU.

Steph

« Reply #14562 on: January 15, 2015, 09:10:43 AM »
Hmm, the scammers are at it again.Got a email from Bank of America  ( not likely) that my card was compromised, new card issued. But I just deleted it and went to my account there and all is well. Sigh.. I do wish we could eliminate this nonsense.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #14563 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:38 PM »
The scammers are getting harder to detect aren't they but if I get anything from a credit card or any bill I pay online I was immediately calling them to verify and they all tell me they do not send that kind of information by email that if there is any problem I get a letter - that in addition I should even ignore all phone calls and always forward the email I receive and then they give me a different email address that is not a public address.

My good friend got all this on her computer last summer about it not functioning correctly and she did everything she was told to do including sending them the $25 dollars for the repair - well it was horrendous - thank goodness her daughter is a very successful lawyer - turned out she had to get a new computer hers was so hacked into - all her accounts, credit cards even her investment broker had to change everything - she had representatives from the FBI outside her house for 2 weeks - and then the Attorney General's office called her twice a day for another 6 weeks - turned out they traced the attack to folks in Russia - since she has been afraid to get on the computer which today is so isolating since she no longer drives and used facebook etc as her social outreach. Neighbors have all gotten to pop in to check on her every day but that is not the same as having an online chat with her sister who lives 1500 miles away or her granddaughter who now lives in California and another who spent last year in India - she is good at snail mail but still -

Of course she was too trusting and treated folks and messages on the computer like help helpful friends and neighbors -

Had a lovely time last evening meeting some of my neighbors - there is this neighborhood online something or other and one of those registered suggested we get together for a drink at a local Mexican restaurant that took over a barbeque place that had been in business since before I moved here in 1966 - it was a father son thing and a year ago the son who was now in his 60s died - anyhow, met interesting folks - mostly the younger folks showed up with one couple who moved here recently from Dayton however she had only been in the States for 8 years and she was from the Dominican Republic - beautiful girl and best, when we were talking food and farmers markets etc. and she brought up some of the food she looks for, it was so different - I hope she does it but I suggested she creates a blog with her recipes and how you fix some of these foods that she could share on the neighborhood page - I know I would love it.

Notice so many have their knickers twisted that the movie "Wild" did not make the Oscar list - still have not read the book - I remember Jean read it as was not thrilled - has anyone else read it - I actually have it and it is in my to read pile.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #14564 on: January 16, 2015, 05:48:37 PM »
I read Wild and was totally unimpressed.  I thought it was just a whine-y young woman, doing her "coming of age" thing in print.  I'm sure Reese Witherspoon has done a great acting job, but the movie doesn't interest me at all, either.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Steph

« Reply #14565 on: January 17, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
I do agree,, I felt like Gone Girl, it was the typical..memememe stuff of the younger generation.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #14566 on: January 17, 2015, 12:20:50 PM »
I have been tempted to try Wild, because the idea of a woman alone walking this tremendous distance reminds me of...what was that book we read about  The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry ...that was a nice book. Kind of, perhaps...unbelievable,  but  the reader wanted to believe it. Very much.

But then I heard there is drug use in  Wild and lots of affairs and I wonder, since you have read it, what part these play in the story? Is there a lot of that there?

I still think Down the Nile is one of the best books I have read and it's a true story of one woman determined to row down the Nile by herself. Obviously not in 2015, what changes the world has seen!!

What about Unbroken? Is that a good read? I am not sure all the torture elements (does it go into great detail?) are something I could stomach but I've heard that some people think it's the best book they ever read.

(I don't think Angelina Jolie was so ignored by the Oscars, her film got several of the smaller categories nominations including cinematography), surely she is happy with those.

There's a new one out called Etta and Otto and Russell and James by Emma Hooper, about an 82  year old woman who decides to walk across the country (Canada I think) ...and it really looks good to me.  It's brand new and won't be out on Kindle till the 29th but is being released in book form on the 20th. I am interested in the premise.

It's got good reviews on Amazon:

Etta and Otto and Russell and James is incredibly moving, beautifully written and luminous with wisdom. It is a book that restores one's faith in life even as it deepens its mystery. Wonderful!” —Chris Cleave, #1 New York Times Bestselling author of Little Bee

“Hooper’s debut is a novel of memory and longing and desires too long denied…To a Cormac McCarthy–like narrative—sans quotation marks, featuring crisp, concise conversations—Hooper adds magical realism…. The book ends with sheer poetry…A masterful near homage to Pilgrim’s Progress: souls redeemed through struggle.”
—Kirkus Reviews (starred review)

"Hooper’s spare, evocative prose dips in and out of reality and travels between past and present creating what Etta tells Otto is “just a long loop.” This is a quietly powerful story whose dreamlike quality lingers long after the last page is turned."
—Library Journal (starred review)

But of course there's always one grinch, one person said it was a complete waste of time.  I  think I'll read it and see for myself if I like it. How do these people GET these books so early? (Possibly it's out in the UK, I had not thought of that).

Anybody reading anything good?

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #14567 on: January 17, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
ginny, re Wild, there was some sex and some drug use - not major parts of the story that I remember - it didn't offend me in any case.  I just wasn't interested in her inner and outer "struggles". 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #14568 on: January 17, 2015, 12:47:53 PM »
How do these people GET these books so early?

There are some sites that give out ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) that people can apply for or are picked by the author or are selected by the publisher. NetGalley is one.

Apparently people who are well-know reviewers in high profile places are also sent ARCs.  

If a reviewer gets a copy this way, it's supposed to be disclosed in the review---"I received a free ARC in exchange for an honest review" is often the wording I see.

There is then the nasty "underbelly" of all of this where authors pay for good reviews.  These are openly advertised on these internet sites and apparently a number of people make their living this way.   It's made me very, very wary of any review.

Jonathan

« Reply #14569 on: January 17, 2015, 01:31:54 PM »
To really enjoy Wild the reader needs to have done some serious backpacking in America's wilderness areas. Cheryl Strayed tells it like it is. Of course it's more about herself than about the Pacific Crest Trail, but it wouldn't have been a story without the trail. I've done a lot of hiking and some of the best fun was meeting people like her along the way. I enjoyed every page of the book. She captures it all: the agony and the ecstasy. She's a wonderful girl and could and should feel more secure on the trail than on many city streets or work places. I can't imagine any male on the trail who would not go into a protecting mode on meeting her.

Steph

« Reply #14570 on: January 18, 2015, 09:03:44 AM »
I just cannot imagine wanting to hike a trail all the way by myself.. Oh well. each to its own.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #14571 on: January 18, 2015, 09:33:40 AM »
I did not know that, Jane! My goodness, a nasty underbelly showing here of the publishing world.

So the best idea is just think for yourself! (I think that's the best idea, anyway). But I do trust the reviews here.

Thank you Mary,  and Jonathan. I don't have any backpacking experience but I used to walk 9 miles a day in much less prosaic surroundings...I am torn. I don't like whining from anybody, such a downer,  but this sort of interests me... too bad nobody can say there's no whining! I don't want to watch the movie. I think I'll try the book but..is there a sample somewhere, maybe on Kindle, to see the style? I'll go look.

The premise of what Mary calls her "inner and outer struggles" is really interesting, so many books now on that subject...maybe someday they will call this Struggle Lit. The woman herself is very attractive, I think much more attractive than the actress playing her.

I do seem to be drawn to books about women doing things for themselves. Remember the woman who rode across Australia on a camel? That's become a new movie and we read it here a long time ago.

I am not sure there's anything in this book I can relate to, I already relate to the  82 year old woman walking across Canada with a talking leopard, that I can relate to hahahaha I'm close to that (the talking leopard) myself. hahaha

I think I'll read an excerpt. If she couldn't interest Mary in her struggles, that's a red flag, I need to see if she can interest me in a couple of pages.

I appreciate the information!

Steph

« Reply #14572 on: January 19, 2015, 08:54:41 AM »
I am still working on Being Mortal by Atul Gawande.. I read and then try to digest a bit each day. Some of the ideas are so interesting. and some of it is familiar. I had a friend who called in Hospice for the last week of her husbands life because he did not want to hear he might die. She was a wreck by the time they arrived.. She admits now that it was such a relief to have them with her. End of life issues.. I love the concept of Assisted living mentioned as an ideal in the book, but my mother in law was in Independent, then assisted Living and it was nowhere like any of the good examples.

MaryPage

« Reply #14573 on: January 19, 2015, 11:18:19 AM »
When Bob and I, accompanied by daughter Pam who was visiting from Arizona, went to see his oncologist on Friday, January 6, 2006 he told us, after his examination, that we should call in Hospice and that he would put in the order to them.  We went home.  He did.  They contacted us that very night with a home visit, and on the Monday came in with hospital bed, etc.  Bob died Thursday afternoon, January 12.  It was all so very quick, but to this very day and hour I cannot praise Hospice highly enough.  They are wonderful, and they just take over and ease you through those ghastly last days and hours.  I would have been truly lost without them.

Tomereader1

« Reply #14574 on: January 19, 2015, 05:09:12 PM »
I read "Unbroken" and found it to be a very good book.  Of course the prison camp torture, etc. was awful, but the mental strength of that man was simply amazing.  I haven't seen the movie, but I would probably be disappointed, since I've read the book.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Frybabe

« Reply #14575 on: January 20, 2015, 05:55:37 AM »
I agree about Hospice, MaryPage. Mom had one come in for Dad, but it was only for a couple of days a week, and not all day at that. Mom and Dad did not want to be separated. Unfortunately, Mom fractured her spine while pulling Dad back up on his pillows; he kept slipping down. Mom thought she just sprained her back muscles, so didn't go see a doctor until months later.

Steph

« Reply #14576 on: January 20, 2015, 08:58:16 AM »
In the local hospice, you can go into their homes or stay in your own.. Makes it nice..
My counselling group of widows was in the lower floor of the home and one of our counselors said it was wonderful for people who had no one at all to stay with them..
The book covers many end of life issues. Some I have thought of in my health directive, some I had not.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14577 on: January 20, 2015, 11:53:34 PM »
Steph, I came upon this in the NY Times today.  Does Gawande touch upon this?

Advance Directives

Frybabe

« Reply #14578 on: January 21, 2015, 05:52:13 AM »
Ursula Le Guin was awarded the National Book Foundation's Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters in November 2014. Here is her speech. http://ursulakleguin.com/UKL_info.html

Steph

« Reply #14579 on: January 21, 2015, 08:42:23 AM »
I read that in the Times as well. I admire his honesty, but I suspect that one would be a hard one to administer. But I will say that my Mother in law with Alzeimers,, once she got to the point of not remembering how to eat, the nursing home and a doctor wanted to put in a tube. We had a good friend who was a surgeon. We talked to him and he admitted that he would not want one and we knew that Mom would not either, so we would not let them put it in..They were huffy to put it mildly.That is when we called Hospice.. They helped us a lot.

mabel1015j

« Reply #14580 on: January 22, 2015, 12:34:01 PM »
From Openculture this morning........Wow!

http://www.openculture.com/2015/01/whitney-museum-puts-online-21000-works-of-american-art.html

Plus a long list of links at the bottom of the article to other paintings and free books.

Jean

Steph

« Reply #14581 on: January 23, 2015, 08:26:43 AM »
A very old and dear friend has gone into hospice back in Delaware. She has fought the good fight for three years now. But things keep progressing.

Frybabe

« Reply #14582 on: January 25, 2015, 06:19:56 AM »
A fun look at an old book of manners for children written in poem form.
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/36664/36664-h/36664-h.htm

I see Miss Manners is mentioned in the book. Since it is published in 1935 and Judith Martin (Miss Manners) was born in 1938, I wonder if this is where she got her pseudonym.

Steph

« Reply #14583 on: January 25, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Volunteered at a  health fair yesterday. We got a mob of people.. The organizer managed to score the VA to come talk on benefits,, The State health department to talk about smoking... and alcohol use.. several diet people. funeral homes and cremation people. massage benefits and bp, hearing and chlosterol tests.. Absolutely amazing the number of people who showed up. The VA brought in the men...

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14584 on: January 25, 2015, 12:28:59 PM »
It sounds like it was a good one, Steph.

Steph

« Reply #14585 on: January 26, 2015, 08:36:45 AM »
Yes , This woman is a truly remarkable event planner. I support the charity, so I volunteer to help off and on.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #14586 on: January 29, 2015, 12:56:57 PM »
Is everyone scrounging to either find in their bookshelves or get to the library or even purchase their copy of Voltaire's passionate defense of Toleration. Seems it is at the top of the French charts with more sold than any other book, ever in France -

I noticed Amazon has it for the Kindle at .99 and they have a new paperback copy that includes delivery for just under $6 - I had not heard of or remembering studying whatever or whomever was this Calas. Something about the courts and the murder of Calas -

Only after reading a few other things by Voltaire could I appreciate him because my only connection had been as a High School student having to read Candide, which did not make an impression as compared to others like Sir Walter Scott with his Ivanhoe and sophomore year with Shakespeare's Hamlet. And so I've just ordered my copy of On Toleration:
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Tomereader1

« Reply #14587 on: January 29, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
I have been trying to find out what's happened to "RosemaryKaye" who used to post somewhere eitehr on Senior Learn, or Seniors & Friends. (they told me "Not").  Maybe it was Fiction, Old, New or perhaps "The Library". 

Anyway, if Rosemary Kaye is lurking somewhere in the background, I would like very much to hear from her, and know she is all right.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #14588 on: January 29, 2015, 04:40:18 PM »
She is still listed as a Member, but last posted in August last year.  She also posted in Mystery Corner several times. 

Yoo-hoo, Rosemary!!! Where are you?

André Maurois

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #14589 on: January 29, 2015, 04:47:00 PM »
I saw her on Facebook a couple of times recently but she does not seem to be a regular there either.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #14590 on: January 29, 2015, 05:35:13 PM »
LIke Barb, I see her on Facebook at times.

salan

« Reply #14591 on: January 30, 2015, 04:35:37 AM »
It seems like some of our minds were on the same wave length.  I have been wondering about her also.  I have also been wondering about our Australia friends.  It was always so interesting hearing from them.
Sally

Steph

« Reply #14592 on: January 30, 2015, 08:23:09 AM »
Rosemary was getting very involved in book doings in Edinburgh and writing columns, May just have run out of time..

Winchesterlady

« Reply #14593 on: January 30, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »
I have been trying to find out what's happened to "RosemaryKaye" who used to post somewhere eitehr on Senior Learn, or Seniors & Friends. (they told me "Not").  Maybe it was Fiction, Old, New or perhaps "The Library". 

Anyway, if Rosemary Kaye is lurking somewhere in the background, I would like very much to hear from her, and know she is all right.

I haven't posted in quite some time, but do keep up with all of your posts.  I read a blog called "Savidge Reads," which is one of my favorites and was suprised to see a guest post by Rosemary a few days ago.  Here is a link to it:

https://savidgereads.wordpress.com/2015/01/10/other-peoples-bookshelves-49-rosemary-kaye/

Hope everyone is having a good New Year.
~ Carol ~

MaryPage

« Reply #14594 on: January 30, 2015, 09:34:17 AM »
As I recall, or think I do, at any rate, Rosemary was moving again AND was taking up a new writing job.

I think we have lost a lot of folks to FaceBook.  I don't do FaceBook, and thus here I still am and will be.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #14595 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:16 AM »
Thank you, WinchesterLady, for that link to Rosemary Kaye's column.  What a delightful read.

Jane

marjifay

« Reply #14596 on: January 30, 2015, 10:30:33 AM »
Wild did not sound at all interesting to me, so I was also not interested in seeing the movie. 

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #14597 on: January 30, 2015, 07:19:49 PM »
OH my goodness what a wonderful article Rosemary Kaye wrote! Hasn't she done well for herself? I loved every word of it and her bookshelves and the descriptions. That was REALLY well written. I will be surprised if someday we don't read one of her books.  I liked the questions they asked her, too. We should ask them here of our own group.

Thank you so much for that,  Winchester Lady,  (this is the first time I've seen your photo and I really like it. I  have just turned on the view avatars thing and am just amazed at how everybody looks) hahaha

Tomereader1

« Reply #14598 on: January 31, 2015, 02:01:13 AM »
/and how do you look, Ginny?  Would love to see your avatar.

André Maurois

Steph

« Reply #14599 on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:50 AM »
What a nice article, although she is seriously into childrens books that I had never heard of..