Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1967814 times)

MaryPage

Re: The Library
« Reply #15120 on: May 11, 2015, 09:58:53 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7, the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

We look forward to hearing from you, about you and the books you are enjoying (or not).

Let the book talk begin here!

Winchester Lady, I too am a fan of reading about the fabulous lives of the six famous Mitford sisters, and I too have a collection of everything I could ever discover that was written by or about them, plus every film made.  Half of my collection has now been passed on to a granddaughter.

So I am fascinated to read that you have a site dedicated to them.  May I know how to access it?

Bellamarie, there is a PBS show reshowing on our local PBS stations lately titled SECRETS OF CHATSWORTH that has some brief moments with Herself, the recently deceased dowager duchess:  Deborah Mitford.  Lots of the duke, her son, and his wife, as well.

Frybabe

« Reply #15121 on: May 11, 2015, 11:16:09 AM »
I was hoping to keep my Cavalier going for over 200K miles but the service people I took my car to never gave me a heads up for things that would soon need tended to. My brake line rusted through, the others were almost ready to go, back bumper support, some of the frame, the exhaust pipes, and the muffler were rusted. The muffler had a crack in it at least four inches long and soot was accumulating on the one end of it. The car was just inspected in March. That muffler crack has been there a long time. My old car dealership's service center always, always let me know when stuff started to look ifsy. I cannot understand why my car passed inspection. I wonder if they really even looked at it.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15122 on: May 11, 2015, 11:28:18 AM »
I have a 2005 Ford 500.  It has almost 30,000 miles on it (that is thirty thousand), and hasn't had any major problems other than air conditioning. Most other stuff, if it occurred, was covered under original warranty.  Keep the oil and filter changed, hubby checks out everything else, and it passes inspection regularly.  Got new tires last month, but if nobody's figured it out, tires nowadays last a lot less longer than the tire warranty states.  The original tires were awful and lasted hardly any time.  Just long enough so the warranty no longer applied.  It has been a great car, and I have the yen to get a new one, but shucks, this one is paid for, drives like a dream, and I really shouldn't be thinking about "new".  I'd love to have a new Ford Fusion though! 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

bellamarie

« Reply #15123 on: May 11, 2015, 04:36:56 PM »
MaryPage thank you for the heads up on the PBS show.  I had to renew my Mitford books, since I can't read fast enough.  I suppose it doesn't help I am reading 5 different books all at the same time.  Just went to the library again today with my little 4 yr old granddaughter Zoey so she could return her books.  She picked out My Little Pony & Paddington Bear.  Oh how I wish I would have gotten to visit a library when I was growing up.  I can see how this is going to be a lifetime treasure for her. 

I bought a few books on sale for $1 per book, and was thrilled thinking I got myself a bargain.  Well, I am sure I did, but.....we went to another library searching for Paddington Bear books and saw a sign out, $1 for a whole bag of books.  Grrr.....I had my hubby pick him out a bag full, and I did find one I think might interest me.  It's called,  The Rules of Engagement by Anita Brookner.   Has anyone read this book?  It's about two girls who were childhood friends and then reconnect years later.  Never read anything by Anita Brookner, it says she is a Booker Prize winning author.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15124 on: May 11, 2015, 08:50:11 PM »
Yes, she wrote Hotel Du Lac - interesting - takes place in the Swiss Alps - sort of a Proust like document of life in a Hotel and the scenery viewed from the Hotel that includes some mountain climbers and about some guests who have questionable lifestyles.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Steph

« Reply #15125 on: May 12, 2015, 08:45:55 AM »
I love the teeny little Smart Cars, but know it is not practical for long distance driving, Still they are so neat.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15126 on: May 12, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »
A friend has a Smart Car.  They got it to as the tow-car for their RV.  She drives it around town, while her husband drives a cross-over something.  She loves it.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

nlhome

« Reply #15127 on: May 12, 2015, 06:34:02 PM »
Tomereader, I bought a new Ford Fusion two years ago. I love it. It gets very good mileage, and it's roomy enough for 5. I generally keep cars a long time, but I'll be tempted in another year or two to get a new Fusion or a CMax.

marjifay

« Reply #15128 on: May 12, 2015, 06:36:46 PM »
We'd thought about a Smart Car, but lost interest.  You'd think it being a small car it would get good mileage, but for the price (not less expensive than our Honda), it got no better mileage.   The only benefit we could see was that it would be easier to find a parallel parking spot since it was so small.

marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

marjifay

« Reply #15129 on: May 12, 2015, 09:40:19 PM »
i really liked Anita Brookner's Hotel du Lac and have always meant to read more books by her, but haven't got around to it yet.

Marj
"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

Steph

« Reply #15130 on: May 13, 2015, 08:49:58 AM »
Still trying to catch up on chores and errands before I leave on the 22nd for Franklin. Hair cut today, and saran wrap for wrapping toilets and drains when I leave, then hopefully home for an entire afternoon. Daisy is still clingy and I think a whole afternoon of me may help her a bit.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #15131 on: May 13, 2015, 02:08:02 PM »
Steph how do you wrap drains with saran wrap?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15132 on: May 13, 2015, 02:34:20 PM »
And why do you wrap them?  I've never heard of doing this and just wondered why.   ::)
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

MaryPage

« Reply #15133 on: May 13, 2015, 04:46:02 PM »
Me, too!  I'm wondering, too!

Jonathan

« Reply #15134 on: May 13, 2015, 05:38:07 PM »
Me too. I'm dying to know. I'll set my clock for this one, although I don't like getting up early. Let me see. Steph checks in at 6:17...6:45...6:49....That's bloody early, but shucks, with a sunrise thrown, which I haven't seen in ages. here's something to anticipate.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15135 on: May 13, 2015, 06:04:04 PM »
Jonathan, don't forget that the times listed here are mountain time.  But enjoy the sunrise.

Steph

« Reply #15136 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:15 AM »
OK.. You must remember one of my sons is an environmental engineer.. I wrap all toilets and drains with saran wrap and seal them with tape when I leave. This is sinks, showers, tubs and toilets.. This keeps water in the drain and keeps them from drying out. No smell when I return and it zips off easily.. A pain the last day, but worth it. Too many people have talked of drain problems. I leave the air on since I live in mildew country and turn the air up to 85, unplug everything in sight. turn off the hot water heater, turn off the water for the washer..and of course cancel, mail,tv,newspaper, etc. Remember I am going for five months, not a few weeks. I have a couple who caretake for me in Franklin, They close up and open up my house. Since that is frost country, they use coolant in the toilets, etc. Leave the electric on there since I want to leave the fridge on.Anything I am not sure about goes in the fridge.. sugar,flour, etc . keeps it from harm. They also pressure wash my house and this year will paint the trim for me. I love them dearly. I am told that drains that lose their water seal are bad news by my sons.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #15137 on: May 14, 2015, 09:11:46 AM »
That makes a lot of sense.  I've never had to leave a house for that long.  Even when I'm home, I make sure every week to run water in the drains of the basement bathroom that seldom gets used.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15138 on: May 14, 2015, 10:18:37 AM »
Makes sense for that length of time, I guess, Steph.  I hope you have an uneventful trip to NC.  Maybe we'll get to visit again this year - here or there.

MaryPage

« Reply #15139 on: May 14, 2015, 11:28:55 AM »
OK, I get the why, and I trust your sons.  Now please explain HOW.  You wrap the whole tank of the toilet?  Up and down and all around?  Then the whole seat, again up and down and all around?  How do you mean wrap the drain in the shower?  Just place plastic wrap over it?  Please take us through the whole exercise.

According to The New Yorker, Nell Zink is THE writer to read these days.  I am curious.  Have any of you read her?  If so, review please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_Zink

marjifay

« Reply #15140 on: May 14, 2015, 03:50:59 PM »
per MaryPage:  "According to The New Yorker, Nell Zink is THE writer to read these days.  I am curious.  Have any of you read her?  If so, review please.

Sorry, I haven't read her.  And reading the Amazon reviews for The Wallcreeper (which is supposed to be her best--but only 3 stars),   I'm afraid I won't bother.    

Marj

P.S.:  Steph, I still don't know where Franklin is located.

Frybabe

« Reply #15141 on: May 14, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »
Kent Haruf's last novel, Ours Souls at Night, will be released May 26. It looks interesting.

Did you know he died in November?

I never heard of Nell Zink. Her Wallcreeper doesn't appeal to me.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #15142 on: May 14, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
Marjifay, Franklin, NC, is in the mountains in the SW corner of the state (about 1.5 hours east of Chattanooga.  You can find it in google maps.

Winchesterlady

« Reply #15143 on: May 14, 2015, 08:32:58 PM »
Winchester Lady, I too am a fan of reading about the fabulous lives of the six famous Mitford sisters, and I too have a collection of everything I could ever discover that was written by or about them, plus every film made.  Half of my collection has now been passed on to a granddaughter.

So I am fascinated to read that you have a site dedicated to them.  May I know how to access it?

MaryPage -- Sorry to take so long to reply. I do not have a site dedicated to the Mitfords.  I use Pinterest and have a board for them there.  It just has photos, but you can access it by going to www.pinterest.com/winchesterlady .
~ Carol ~

marjifay

« Reply #15144 on: May 14, 2015, 09:43:01 PM »
Glad to hear that Chevys and Fords are improving. 

What kind of inspection do cars have to pass in you state Tomereader?  All we in California have to pass is a smog check every other year.

Marj

marjifay

« Reply #15145 on: May 14, 2015, 10:08:40 PM »
Thanks, MaryZ, for locating Franklin for me.  I've never been to either of the Carolinas.  Must be nice for Steph to want to spend 5 months there, or maybe she has friends there.  The only place in the eastern U.S. I've visited is Florida and Louisiana and I loved them both.   (Went in the winter, so missed the awful hot humid summers.) I also love the southern U.S.(in the winter, that is.) 

Marj   

Steph

« Reply #15146 on: May 15, 2015, 08:12:06 AM »
Lets see.. The mountains of the south. My husband and I use to go in the rv up there every year and loved them.After he died, I decided that I could not use the rv, but could find something small.. I found a manufactured home, that I own and the land is owned by the developer. My house is two bedroom, two bath ,living,dining,kitchen, inside laundry and a long long sun porch the length of the house..I am halfway up a mountain and have the most gorgeous view of the ranges.. It is cooler and drier there than central Florida. It is a tiny development, 60 units and we are really like an extended family.. Great fun. we refer to it as our summer camp.
Wrapping.. I put up the seat, stretch saran wrap and use a paper tape to anchor it. Use large garbage bags for the body of the toilet.. Drains are covered with saran and then sealed with the paper tape. Sinks .. I either use saran on them or seal them with plugs, then use the saran and tape. Takes maybe an hour to do them all. Now if I could just figure out how to keep my porch and atrium floors from mildew I would be happy.
Kent Haruf.. will look, I loved his books.

MaryPage

« Reply #15147 on: May 15, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »
Am trying to figure out if Nell Zink is the Vincent Van Gogh of this age insofar as writers are concerned.  I conclude, or at least so far I do, as I have not yet arrived at the end of this hidden conversation with the world (and the world totally unaware), that she represents a huge bend in the river of Time, and at the same time signals a change in our perceptions of all that surrounds us, just as the very much spurned Van Gogh did.
Being a native of the Blue Ridge mountains of Virginia, I find no greater beauty on this planet than exists there and in the mountains of western North Carolina and the gorgeous Smoky Mountains of Tennessee.  I miss those mountains, but had to move to much flatter eastern Maryland to be surrounded by my children, or at least a substantial number of them.

Tomereader1

« Reply #15148 on: May 15, 2015, 11:31:43 AM »
Marjifay, in Texas the inspections are yearly. Starting this year, they are tied to getting your license tags renewed.  In essence you get both at the same time.  Inspection is:  Emissions, check brakes, make sure all lights and turn signals work properly, make sure your muffler is not rusted out, no leakage of oil or other fluids.  It is pretty thorough.  It did cost $30 and I don't know how that is affected by this new Law where you get your tags at the same time.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Winchesterlady

« Reply #15149 on: May 15, 2015, 01:00:50 PM »
MaryPage, I have to agree with you about the Blue Ridge Mountains. I love living in the Shenandoah Valley and being able to enjoy its beautiful scenery and history. If I remember correctly, you said you grew up in Stephens City, which as you know, is just up the road from Winchester.
~ Carol ~

MaryPage

« Reply #15150 on: May 15, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
Oh, Winchester Lady, OF COURSE I know.  When I was growing up in Stephens City in the nineteen thirties and early forties, we had a sign at each end of town that stated we had a population of 438 souls!  Imagine!  And we were surrounded by apple orchards and dairy farms.  Stephens City High School was THE high school, consolidated they called it, for the whole county.  Of course, Winchester kids could go to the most beautiful school in the world:  Handley High.  Our High School consisted of a small, square building with 8 classrooms:  four up and four down.  The Elementary School and offices were in a building right next to the High School.  We had no kindergarten and no 8th grade.  Seven years of elementary, and then you went over to the next building to four years of high.
When we went "to town" it meant we went 8 miles up the Valley Pike to Winchester.  There was no Route 81 yet.
On Pearl Harbor Sunday I was out roller skating down that pike with my friends when the news of the attack reached us.  There were not many cars in those days.
There used to be a huge, lovely pageant on the steps of Handley High at Apple Blossom Time and both Handley and Stephens City kids would take part in it.  Shoot, my aunts and mama were in it when THEY were young!  I never was.  But we used to go up to town early in the mornings and spend the whole day there on the Friday and the Saturday of Apple Blossom Festival.

MaryPage

« Reply #15151 on: May 15, 2015, 01:48:56 PM »
For those not familiar with the area, Stephens City High School has been boarded up and closed down since I was a young mother.  New and fancier high schools have sprung up and even been replaced since my day!  But the most beautiful High School in the world, Handley High in Winchester, endowed by Judge Handley and open for free to every Winchester child and ONLY to Winchester children, still remains.

https://www.google.com/search?q=handley+high+school+winchester+va&biw=893&bih=499&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UTFWVbWCA8eagwS_lIC4DA&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAw&dpr=0.9[/b]

Tomereader1

« Reply #15152 on: May 15, 2015, 01:56:52 PM »
Indeed a beautiful school, MaryPage!

André Maurois

Winchesterlady

« Reply #15153 on: May 15, 2015, 04:49:40 PM »
MaryPage, I too think that Handley High School is the most beautiful high school I've seen. In the last several years it has undergone major interior renovations, which I believe have now been completed. I also had an aunt who was in the Apple Blossom Pageant many years ago. My parents both graduated from Handley, but my Dad was in the Air Force so we never lived here. He did retire here in 1972 and we moved here and built a house close to them in 2002. We visited my relatives in Winchester so many times over the years while I was growing up. I am so glad that we were able to retire here.
~ Carol ~

MaryPage

« Reply #15154 on: May 15, 2015, 05:36:17 PM »
I know I am terribly prejudiced about Handley being so beautiful, but when I was young National Geographic had an article featuring it AND they declared it the most beautiful High School in the world!

It is a Public school and part of the system, but it was given, with an endowment, to the City of Winchester with the provision that any child who lived IN Winchester would be entitled to a free education there.  This was before I was BORN, and I am 86.

Actually, IMHO it was much more striking when you saw it when I was young, because they did not have the running track in the front lawn.  It was just a beautiful vista of green.  In the spring, many many flowering trees and bushes made it a paradise.  It was built to resemble Mr. Jefferson's school, the University (of Virginia).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Handley_High_School

mabel1015j

« Reply #15155 on: May 16, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
That is a beautiful high school. It reminds me of buildings at the U of Virginia.

The first high school i taught at was Wm Penn in Harrisburg, Pa. It was a beautiful building built in 1926. In front of it was a lake that had been created by the Civilian Conservation Corp in the 30s, almost a block long with a little "Japanese" bridge across the middle. The school had a tradition of a May Day celebration every year and the May Queen rode down the lake on a motorized swan.

http://cumberlink.com/news/local/communities/harrisburg/former-william-penn-high-school-building-for-sale-in-harrisburg/article_23501c69-abb1-58e5-9a30-93da3d5de7ed.html

Jean

mabel1015j

« Reply #15156 on: May 16, 2015, 12:13:50 AM »
This is a picture of the bridge. I hope this works.

http://art.onetravelsource.com/uploads/26/7B09B3AD-F745-4EB7-9809B82390A751EE.jpg

And the full lake, it's called Italian Lake, perhaps because many Italians worked on the construction of it.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/b5/16/c2/b516c2499476a0eafe09c6aa57695410.jpg

The school sits on a small hill to the right of the picture. You can see it in the background here.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4131/5195748246_e2bf8ccd1a_z.jpg

The first two yrs i taught there i rented a room from a retired Latin teacher who lived in a house on the left side of the lake, so many days i walked out her back door and across the bridge to go to work.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/f2/0a/77/f20a7711c919174ea88480bf0f422a54.jpg

Actually!!! In this picture, the brick house to the right of the picture, behind the white truck,  is the house i lived in.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/b5/fb/53/b5fb5385c0a94f45da0c4bce809e44ea.jpg

This is an amazing trip back in time (1963-1968) for me. Thank you to Winchesterlady and MaryPage for bringing up the subject of beautiful high schools.  :)

I am sorry to learn they closed the school in 2010. Harrisburg is in sad shape these days and the school population has declined, as well as the tax dollars. It sounds like they are going to try to save the building. It would be a lovely place for a retirement home/community, which is one of the suggestions that had been made. It was an urban school, but also in a lovely neighborhood.i loved teaching there for five years.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #15157 on: May 16, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
Sad to say the lake didn't look so pretty for quite a while. For a while the Canada Geese took over, and one had to be very careful where one walked. Happily, they have been (or were before the Harrisburg financial fiasco) cleaning it up some.  I had forgotten they closed William Penn.

Remember Wildwood, Jean? They've turned it into a nature center with walkways and all. Sadly, the lake is filling in. The powers that be will not clean out some of the water lilies because they are "rare", so they keep growing and choking the once boatable and fishable lake, slowly turning it into a bog. Many of the oldsters who grew up boating and fishing there are unhappy about it. Still, it is a popular place to go, especially with the younger set. Nice walking trails, nice conference center. Still not without the occasional rape, etc. that have plagued Wildwood off and on for years.

Steph

« Reply #15158 on: May 16, 2015, 08:33:20 AM »
Once upon a time, communities loved to make their schools pretty and welcoming. Our consolidated school was the heart of our tiny community.Everyone came to everything. plays , games, etc. some of our biggest supporters had no children. Those days are gone now but I love that I grew up in a small welcoming area.. Our town in the mid 50's had just under 1000 people.

MaryPage

« Reply #15159 on: May 16, 2015, 09:18:34 AM »
Jean, that is a GORGEOUS school!  I have visited Harrisburg, and never knew about it.  Wish I had seen it.

You know, I think there is a different mindset today.  Once upon a time people FELT like a community together, and they all wanted good things for their children and their neighborhood and their town, etc.  And they knew it had to come from them, themselves, being all for a concerted effort to have better schools, roads, bridges, parks and so forth.  These days everyone complains that "They" aren't doing anything to renew and repair and replace, but no one rallies the populace to steer an effort to actually get things going in a direction of GETTING SOMETHING ACCOMPLISHED!  What ever has happened to the old fashioned American "can do" attitude?  When did our minds get split into non-communicating, non-functioning spheres of "they should give us" and "we should not have to pay any taxes" _________ like we can't or won't connect the dots anymore.  We seem to be a totally detached society, as opposed to possessing an understanding that government is us.

Uh,oh;  please excuse the soap box.  Enjoy the day!