Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1966091 times)

CallieOK

Re: The Library
« Reply #18080 on: July 21, 2017, 11:53:20 PM »
Edit to previous post after starting "...Failed Southern Lady":   Don't bother.  I'd forgotten that the story isn't nearly as funny as the title!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18081 on: July 22, 2017, 04:05:02 AM »
The craziest thing - went to my mail box tonight - next to the front porch and the driveway - there was a package from Better World Books with 2 books I know I did not order - used books in pretty good condition - one was a hardback library book The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth and the other a paperback The Days of the Deer from the Borderlands saga by Liliana Bodoc - both nice titles - probably would not buy either since I have many others that are a higher priority but regardless I just know I did not order them - then looking at the enclosed invoice or whatever the enclosed paper is called - no price or manner of payment just basics, book title and condition of book with lots of number groups and on both it shows a window for Customer - the Customer is Michael Dillon -

I have no clue who is Michael Dillon - the books were addressed to me at my address - attempted to look up on facebook Michael Dillon and there are 2 here in Austin, and I do not know either although, one is a mortgage lender and the other a UT law professor. This is crazy - who in the word in Michael Dillon who does have a bead on the type of light reading novel I would read among other light reading topics. I know I have done some favors for some old clients who asked me for info on sales in their neighborhood so they could protest their taxes but never worked with a Michael Dillon.

I guess all I can do is share my story with the various groups of folks who know I read and maybe someone will have the right fairy dust to sprinkle on the trail to Michael Dillon.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18082 on: July 22, 2017, 10:12:37 AM »
Barb, that is so interesting!  I hope you find out who your secret book Santa is.  I love a good mystery, so keep us informed.

Frybabe,  Thanks for the link on Congress voting to fund the libraries.  YEA!!!  They actually got something accomplished!!!

Callie, your titles have piqued my interest, I need some new books to place in my TBR pile.  100 degrees, now those are temps to curl up in air conditioning with a good book and cup a something!  It's raining here in Toledo, Ohio this morning with 70 degree temp so I am just hanging out enjoying a relaxing Saturday morning.  My Shitzu Sammy loves these kind of mornings where he can snuggle with me.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #18083 on: July 22, 2017, 11:03:11 AM »
Frybabe....GOOD news, I hope, for libraries and museums.  I hope somebody doesn't cut it somewhere along the line in the name of "efficiency" or whatever excuse they use.

CallieOK

« Reply #18084 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:56 PM »
Bellamarie,  I "take it all back and swear I never said it"   ;) about Confessions Of A Failed Southern Lady.  I did not remember how trashy the story is.  I'm sending it back.

Have I mentioned "Eighteen Acres" by Nicole Wallace?  The title refers to the acreage on which the White House is located.  Blurb on the author reads:  "From the former Communications Director for the White House and current political media strategist comes a suspenseful and smart commercial novel about the first female president and all dramas and deceptions she faces both in politics and in love."    I didn't pick up hints of characters based on real people or any particular political slant in the narrative.

Barb,  hope you discover who this mystery person is and why you have received the books.

I've been watching movies on Netflix as an alternative to reading during this Heat Wave.  I watched "August - Osage County" yesterday, which I had not seen.   The final scene has me wondering if the book describes what Julia Roberts' character is thinking as she gazes out across the Oklahoma prairie before heading up the lonely highway past a real sign saying "Wichita".
I have just  checked out the e-book to do "research".

bellamarie

« Reply #18085 on: July 22, 2017, 02:30:24 PM »
Callie, thanks for the heads up on the Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady.  I won't bother to look for it.

Nicole Wallace was at one time a very staunch Republican.  Didn't she serve under the younger President Bush if my memory serves me well?  She spent some time on The View, and to be honest I think those liberal ladies went after her so badly, she started to slant her views, I think more so to appease them.  I quit watching the show after her first season with them.  The book sounds like it would be a good read since she had up close and personal ties to the White House.  I was a bit of a political junkie, although I must say this past election sort of did me in with the two Presidential candidates we had to choose from.  I wouldn't give two cents for either of them. 

I have a hard time getting into watching movies unless they are at the movie theater.  My hubby and I used to spend our summer catching up on movies that we missed at the box office and also watch our favorite collection of movies we have purchased throughout our years being married, but for some reason this summer has been different.  Maybe with having the two younger grandkids spending the days and nights has pooped me out, and so when I have down time I catch up with my dvr shows.  I love anything Julia Roberts.  She has a movie coming out soon called Wonder, about a little boy with a scarred face.  The trailer looks like it will be a fantastic movie.  My little 9 yr. old grandson has read the book and told me it is a great story.  Imagine my grandson who is on the Autism spectrum reading this book and loving it.  Gosh, I love him so much! if he recommends it, I'm all in!!!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

CallieOK

« Reply #18086 on: July 22, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »
I don't care for shows like The View and stopped watching all the political pontification a long time ago. So I wasn't familiar with Nicole Wallace.  I was skeptical when I read the author bio. but soon became more interested in the story which isn't about political views.

I spent the afternoon skimming "August: Osage County".  I had forgotten it is a play - not a book.   Interesting to compare the stage directions to the way the movie scenes were done.   The ending is completely different.  Tracie Letts also wrote the screen play so now I wonder why he changed it.

Onward and Upward...

mabel1015j

« Reply #18087 on: July 22, 2017, 11:43:29 PM »
I'm reading "Follow the Stars Home" by Luanne Rice. I don't know if she is considered a romance writer, or not, there is a romantic story as part of the plot. But I wanted to tell you about it because, I'll bet some of you loved Anne of Green Gables, and/or love Prince Edward Island. You may enjoy this book for those reasons.

I don't like books that start with a dramatic event in the present and then take you back to various places to tell you how the characters got to the dramatic event. I prefer the author just tell me the story. But I'm glad I stayed with this book after the first dramatic event. It's a pretty good story about a young woman whose husband leaves while she is pregnant with a severally deformed fetus which she intends to give birth to, he couldn't handle it for reasons we learn along the way.

It is a rather lovely story of the grandmother, a librarian who turns every child she meets onto Anne of GGs, the daughter (mother of the child) and granddaughter, and another little girl who they kind of rescue.

Ironically, one of the reasons I stayed with it is to find out what happens as a result of the "dramatic event" at the beginning. 😀😀 o k, so I'm not always logical. I still would prefer a beginning, middle and end. Lol.

Jean

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18088 on: July 23, 2017, 12:29:38 PM »
Love this...
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18089 on: July 23, 2017, 12:33:53 PM »
Jean, this book sounds like something I would like to read, I'll have to look for it when I go to my library this week. 

Callie, I keep my tv off the entire day, and only watch what I dvr, because I can no longer tolerate the news, or the breaking into shows for the media to bring you what they think is so very important, such as the fact O.J. Simpson has been granted a pardon and will be getting out of prison in Oct.  They turned that into a breaking news, took up all the channels during the day, and filled the air ways with it all night long.  Phew... they have already put him back on the map as significant and newsworthy.  Ughh.... I prefer reading or doing Words With Friends, at least these keep my mind sharp.

Barb, we were posting at the same time.  Have a wonderful Sunday!  I love your post.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18090 on: July 24, 2017, 10:22:08 AM »
Wow, lots of great stuff in here. Love the library news, Frybabe, and the quote, Barbara, and learning about  all the great (I knew YOU all were reading)  books you all are reading, Callie, Bellamarie (I'm the exact opposite, I would much rather not go to a movie theater, for a lot of reasons, but sometimes I can't get out of it, I expect we'll go see Churchill), and Jean, (Mabel).

This one really resonated with me from Jean (Mabel): I don't like books that start with a dramatic event in the present and then take you back to various places to tell you how the characters got to the dramatic event. I prefer the author just tell me the story. But I'm glad I stayed with this book after the first dramatic event.

While my grandson was here he had to  read his summer assignments (they have to read 7 books over the summer from a list, like most children) and so when he was doing his reading I cast about in the TBR pile next to the chair for something to idle the time with. I didn't want to be immersed in the Museum Basement because I knew it wouldn't be too long a time period,  and I didn't want the MacArthur, or  anything serious, just SOMETHING to pick up and read a minute. So I picked up a book on almost everybody's must read summer books list: All Fall Down by Jennifer Weiner. That's a heck of a name, and I've heard of her before somewhere but had never read one of hers and I just opened it where it opened (about 1/3rd thru)  for some reason and started reading to see if it caught my interest.

I don't know this author, but she certainly writes well. The protagonist is  a mother with a 5 year old,  and a father with early onset Alzheimers. She takes a quiz in a magazine about the newest addiction, overuse of prescription drugs,  and wonders IF in fact she herself is taking too many, surely not,  but it's the father and her efforts to help, and  her mother's inability to cope with his increasing dementia which really resounds in this section. It's SO real. I actually woke up the next day thinking about him as a real person and wondered how he was getting on, it's that real, and it's very poignant in spots.

I haven't experienced, thank God, this with my own parents, but my mother's mother had dementia  and lived with us as long as I can remember, at least until I went off to college.  The things her father does in the book  are at once touching and frightening and you literally can't  put the book down.  I actually read more than 2/3rds of it at that sitting.

So here I am missing the beginning of the book (but I never judge by that anyway, any more)  and the end,  but pretty sold on this woman as a writer. But I don't know what KIND of books she writes, or what category she'd be in. Probably one I never read.  But whatever category it is, this one is very compelling and I want to start it properly and finish it.

I don't like the  beginnings of books,  anyway, I once attended a workshop taught by the Poet Laureate of SC (stop me if you've heard this), who wanted to write a mystery and who herself took a workshop where she was told that a publisher gives you...I've forgotten how many WORDS, not pages, to grab the reader and if you don't,  the publisher  simply won't even read it....so that, Jean, I think is one  reason for the dramatic beginnings.

Talking about movies, one I saw on the plane and wished I  had seen IN a theater, Bellamarie, was The Founder. Now that is a good movie. It's a shame it's not a book because it's about Ethics in Business and is full of things we could discuss for ages.

Michael Keaton as always,  is wonderful playing a very unsympathetic character, Ray Croc, who did not "found," McDonald's,  but was the "founder" of the McDonald's franchises.  It came out when a couple of blockbusters did and so was pretty much ignored but it's really one of the best movies I've seen in a long time. On a par with Barbarians at the Gate about the takeover of RJR Nabisco by KKR, also fabulous acting about real subjects. THAT one is a book, too, and a good one,  but the movie is outstanding.

Barbara, what an unusual story about the two books mysteriously delivered to  your house, in your name but the  customer ordering  is Michael Dillon. Spooky! Good thing Stephen King doesn't get hold of this, hahaha. Apparently somebody related to him or he is using his account and  thought you would like them.

If that were me  it would drive me insane. :) I would contact Better World about the order and see what's going on. Perhaps the gift card was misplaced, that does seem to happen a lot with orders.

And I am glad to hear the book on the Old Ladies was funny, I can't wait to read it.

bellamarie

« Reply #18091 on: July 24, 2017, 05:36:43 PM »
Ginny, oh my, I could never read a book on Alzheimer's.  I saw the movie The Notebook when it first came out in the theater.  I can not ever watch that movie ever again.  I cried so hard in the theater, I'm talking the ugly sniffing and runny nose cry.  A friend of mine was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in his early 60s.  We were such good friends with him and his wife and daughter through the years bringing up our kids.  His daughter now at in her 30s was heartsick as her Daddy was losing his memory, not remembering her, she was such a Daddy's girl.  He died within a year or so, due to him not being able to swallow.  I seriously think this is one of the most saddest type of illnesses there is, to take away a person's precious memories they shared their entire life.  I can barely even think about it typing.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18092 on: July 25, 2017, 08:24:17 PM »
 Yes, it's certainly a very difficult topic for anybody who has ever encountered it.   I know where you are coming from, too, because the other night The Nanny Diaries, the  movie,  came on TV and like an idiot I watched it as long as I could because I can't stand the ending, it's a real heart-breaker, so I thought, well, buck up, you know there's a sequel and you've read both, so read the book again, because it really IS better, and so I got IT out and am starting it next. I have read it many times.  The women who wrote it were both nannies in NYC,  and their experience shows.

But I think in this one what I was trying to say is she really  CAN write, but since I haven't read the first 1/3 of the book or the last 1/3rd,  I need,  like Callie above did, to temper my enthusiasm till I've read it all, or I might have to retract the thoughts on All Fall Down. It's hot, tho, a lot of people are talking about it.

I was really moved with the Diana program her two sons did, in memory,  was it last night?  Did any of you see it? It was on HBO.

I really had to fight back tears, what a lovely thing that was. You can see the pain in their eyes. I think Prince William said you can see it in people's eyes, and Pearl Buck who lost a child used to say that, too.

A couple of days ago I taped a new documentary on Edward and Wallis, the Duke and Duchess of Windsor. And while I really did not think there was anything left to say, the archival movies of King George V and Mary, and the little Prince  Edward  AND his brothers,  Geoge VI (Bertie) and two of whom (George, Duke of Kent, and Henry) whom you almost never see was well worth the taping. How pretty The Queen Mother looked as a  young bride.   

And so is the film  on Prince John, the youngest  brother who had epilepsy and some developmental delay,  which aired some time ago. It  was not a documentary but I think it was on PBS,  did any of you ever see that? It was wonderfully done. 5 brothers in all.

There is a documentary on this on youtube which examines the truth behind the rumors and mentions the film The Lost Prince: first the documentary which actually tells the truth behind the rumors, because one of his friends is still alive at 99: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peKGD48yqTk

And  the dramatization The  Lost Prince is there, too, from the BBC, 2003 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jobST3kBsdo

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18093 on: July 28, 2017, 12:12:43 PM »
I finished Neither Here Nor There, last night, one of Bill Bryson's books, this one on travel through Europe. He goes by himself and he's dangerous to read at night because sometimes you just can't stop laughing but he's Everyman in Europe. Love his books, so honest and true. And funny.   Just like what travel is.

And I made the mistake of sitting down and starting All Fall Down from the beginning this time, and again I got immediately engrossed in this woman's world, she is a GOOD writer. I no longer am her age or have a 5 year old "sensitive" daughter, but this is a really good book and I would be very surprised if a movie is not made of it.  When I get finished with it I am going to read some of her others, one of which has already been made into a movie. The writing really makes such a difference.

But it's escape literature, and who doesn't need that some of the time?  For ONCE in my  life my TBR pile is absolutely pulsating with great promised reads.  In addition to what I put above in a previous post, I've  also got the Ministry of Utmost Happiness which was just listed for what used to be called The Booker Awards, and The Windfall which I've heard nothing but good about, and Alexander McCall's latest  My Italian Bulldozer which I've heard nothing but good about, tho I have not read a lot of his books, the subject intrigues me,  and The Last Laugh, which I have also been told is fabulous.

It's like looking at a counter of forbidden chocolates. Which one should I pick next?  (Obviously one of us has finally cashed in those B&N gift cards). hahahaa

mabel1015j

« Reply #18094 on: July 28, 2017, 12:15:03 PM »
Prominent historian Thomas Fleming died this week. He wrote a lot of fiction about the Revolutionary period, both non-fiction and non-fiction. This is a piece from the NYTs obit:

Mr. Fleming had been writing history books filled with powerful men for nearly 50 years when, in 2009, he chose to focus on the influence of the wives, mothers and girlfriends of Washington, Franklin, Jefferson, Hamilton, John Adams and James Madison.

He chronicled the women’s stories collectively in “The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers,” which The Washington Post called it a “well researched peek into the boudoirs of America’s political architects.”

Mr. Fleming had already written novels from a female perspective; one was “The Officers’ Wives,” a bestseller in 1981. He also benefited from the increasing availability of the women’s letters.

One powerful woman in “Intimate Lives” was Mary Ball, Washington’s mother. Mr. Fleming told C-Span in 2010 that she “had a ferocious temper and was very strong-willed, and she tried to make George her faithful servant.”

To escape her influence, he said, Washington wanted to join the Royal Navy, but his half brother Lawrence intervened. “Imagine how different the country would have been” if Washington had served Britain, Mr. Fleming said.

Here is the whole obit

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/27/books/thomas-fleming-dead-historian-and-historical-novelist.html

And here is his wikipedia site that lists all his books

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Fleming_(historian)
Jean

bellamarie

« Reply #18095 on: July 29, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
I just finished the last chapter in our book discussion Number Our Days by Barbara Myerhoff.  All I can say is anyone who did not have the chance to read this book should take the time to.  I am blown away with the amount of knowledge and wisdom the author and elderly Center people were able to provide the readers with, in preparing for old age living.  I'm going to miss this discussion when it ends. 

Jean, I have never read anything by Fleming, but maybe I will look to see if my library has “The Intimate Lives of the Founding Fathers,”

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18096 on: July 30, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »
Hello all - I am just catching up after havig been away on a canal boat holiday down in England.

Before I went I decided I would try to find an easy read with a waterways theme, and the only thing Edinburgh Libraries could offer was 'The Canal Boat Cafe' by Cressida McLaughlin. I wasn't too sure about it - I do enjoy a bit of chick lit from time to time but some of it is so badly written, and I did not know anything about this author. Anyway, I ended up really enjoying it. It is no great work of literature, but it is well written and the characters are fleshed out and 'real'. The heroine inherits her deceased mother's narrowboat (actually on the river north of Cambridge), from which her Mum ran a cafe. A neigbour has been trying to keep it going but not doing very well, and there is fierce antagonism, and competition, from the local pub. Meanwhile a handsome, enigmatic stranger has brought his boat to a vacant mooring....  you can guess the rest, but plenty happens along the way, and there are many other people on the scene. Worth reading if you want an undemanding story with lots of detail about 'liveaboards' - the people who actually live on the boats instead of just taking holidays on them like us.

The other book I have started is Writing on the Road: Campervan Love and the Joy of Solitude by Sue Reid Sexton. The author has had a series of (mostly ramshackle) campervans all her adult life, but here she is talking particularly about the ancient Romahome she currently owns, jer travels in the remote north-west of Scotland, and how the van has been ann essential part of her writing life, especially suring her second marriage, when her house was home to eight people - six of them teenagers, and she needed to find some time and space to write, then, after the break-up of that marriage, when she needed to re-callibrate herself and adapt to living alone, something she now loves. It's definitely not all gloom and doom, there are some very funny sections about people she meets along the way, disasters with failing engines, and fittings falling off her 'vintage' vans, the 'joys' of campervan loos...(we are not talking American RVs here, these are tiny vans with just about room for some sort of convertible bed and a gas ring).

On reading the reviews of this book on Amazon, it is striking to see how many similarly middle-aged women have done the same thing - bought a van and hit the open road alone. One of them said she was so scared on her first trip that she went home, but having read this book she's now newly invigorated and determined to try again. It's an adventure that does appeal to me too, but I am such a terrified driver that I know it woudn't work for me. Sadly!

The Edinburgh International Book Festival starts next week. I have requested some reviewer tickets (as otherwise it's £12 each for most sessions), but they haven't allocated them yet, so I don't know what I'll be seeing. Really hoping for Jim Crumley (my favourite nature writer) and John Lister Kaye (founder of the Aigas wildlife centre in Inverness-shire).

Hope everyone is having a good summer,

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #18097 on: July 30, 2017, 01:34:21 PM »
Rosemary, we attended an Elderhostel program (now called Road Scholar) several years ago based at the Aigas Center.  We had the privilege of meeting John Lister Kaye and his lovely wife, plus lodging at the facility.  It was called Scottish Island and Highlands, and was one of our favorites. 
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18098 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:03 PM »
Wow MaryZ so glad to see your post - hope you are doing well - we really missed you - but understand we all need a break from time to time - bring us up to date - what is going on in your life - have you seen anything or read anything that we can ruminate over...?

Dana

• ::
« Reply #18099 on: July 30, 2017, 08:56:09 PM »
I'm interested that the Edinburgh book festival is still going strong.  I went to the first one with a school friend so must have been in 1961 or 2, I would think.  Can't remember a thing about it.  But we went to a dance too and the band was Acker Bilk!  Big deal for me at the time!! 

bellamarie

« Reply #18100 on: July 30, 2017, 10:53:13 PM »
Welcome home RosemaryKaye!  A canal boat ride sounds relaxing and fun as does your two books you are reading. 

Maryz and Dana nice to see you drop in.  It's bee a bit quiet in this room, I'm thinking the summer has us all busy outside in the beautiful weather or vacationing, and not finding too much time to post.  Hopefully cooler days will draw more members, I would love to hear what you are all reading.

I am anxious for my local libraries to have their annual brown bag book sale, where you can fill a bag for a buck!  I hope to find some good reads to put into my TBR pile for the Fall and Winter months. 

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18101 on: July 31, 2017, 10:13:50 AM »
MaryZ - I am so glad you were able to visit Aigas. I have wanted to go there for years (I first heard of it when I was a university student - I was a member of a local willdlife group, and a couple who worked at Aigas came down to lead us on a walk to watch deer. They told us all about Aigas, which had at that time only been open a few years.)  I looked at it again the toher day - most weeks there cost well over £1,000 per person now, and that's without transport. Maybe one day!

Dana - the Fringe Festival is this year celebrating its 50th anniversary. It was begun in 1947, just after the war, in an attempt to bring people together across man-made boundaries. These days it can be uncomfortably commercial - there are far too many big names performing, and it is horribly costly - and risky - for new shows to come (plus, accommodation in Edinburgh at this time is prohibitively expensive - a not very nice flat can be upwards of £2,000 per week). Virgin Media have just about bought the rights to the Royal Mile, only their shows can perform there and only buskers authorised by them are allowed to play on the street. Having said that, there are still some great shows to be seen, and the city does take on a very festive air for the month of August.

Rosemary

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #18102 on: July 31, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
Rosemary, I hope you can get there sometime, too - if only for a day trip.

Has anybody read the books by Ferrol Sams?  We read his books about 15-20 years ago and just loved him.  I've just found he's still alive and has at least two books I hadn't seen before (2008 and 2012).  He was a family doctor in rural Georgia, and his early novels are somewhat autobiographical.  Very nice reading.

I haven't been gone, just not reading very much.  You might have been thinking about MaryPage.  She's doing okay - I hear from her occasionally.  But she hasn't come back here or to S&F.  Thanks for the welcome back, in any case.  :)   
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

Tomereader1

« Reply #18103 on: July 31, 2017, 11:49:48 AM »
MaryZ, can you give us more info on MaryPage?  She used to post so regularly, and it is scary that she's not posting here or in S&F.  We need to hear her E-voice, if only for a moment...say HI or something.
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18104 on: July 31, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
I haven't been here for awhile and haven't read anything outstanding this summer except "Number Our Days"!  Most of my reading is of the posts in that book! 

And now today I come in to read Barbara's post about receiving two books that didn't she didn't order from Amazon!  So, of course, I am now buried in all the posts that are in the Library!!!😊😊😊. It's so nice to read about what you all are doing this summer! 

And it's  so nice to read about your TBR piles! Having recently moved, and having to give away many books(my new home is much smaller than my condo was) I brought my TBR pile with me. So far I have filled three bookcases and may have to add another one for the rest of my TBR books!  Now, let's face it, I probably won't ever read all those books!  But I have High Hopes just like that ant who is trying to climb that rubber tree plant!!😋😋😋
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #18105 on: July 31, 2017, 12:28:33 PM »
Tome, I'll pass that on to MaryPage.  She's gotten involved with other things, and doesn't spend as much time on her computer.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18106 on: July 31, 2017, 01:45:16 PM »
Please say hi and best wishes to MaryPage from me too.  I miss her, but I'm glad it's because she's busy and involved.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18107 on: August 01, 2017, 04:35:34 PM »
Lammas Day is celebrated on August 2nd. The ' loaf-mass ' day, the festival of the first wheat harvest of the year. Houses are sometimes decorated with garlands. Candle lit processions and apple-bobbing is featured.

mabel1015j

« Reply #18108 on: August 01, 2017, 06:32:30 PM »
In what culture, Barbara?

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18109 on: August 01, 2017, 07:14:55 PM »
Mostly Catholic or what were Catholic countries of Europe - central France, Bavaria, the Tyrol,  southern Ukraine, southern Russia, places in the US in the Dakota's and Montana with a heavy German population. Used to be celebrated in England but after Elizabeth I they did more with corn dollies made by plaiting wheat stalks - the corn dollies now are decorative but until about WWII and just after they were still a part of folklore and hidden in attics and behind stairwells to ward off bad omans or with small changes used to create bad oman, often hid in the barns of those who were wished the bad luck.

mabel1015j

« Reply #18110 on: August 02, 2017, 12:17:58 AM »
Thank you, I've never heard of any of those traditions.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #18111 on: August 02, 2017, 06:48:07 AM »
Barb, I thought the corn dolls were pre-Catholic having Celtic and Druid origins.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18112 on: August 02, 2017, 10:09:04 AM »
Yes, and these traditions had a resurgence and openly practiced after Elizabeth swept away the Catholic influence that had suppressed these ancient practices calling them witchcraft -

Frybabe

« Reply #18113 on: August 03, 2017, 05:14:51 PM »
Here is a list of 18 books titled "The Best Books About Books". http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/the-read-down/books-about-books?aid=randohouseinc19836-20&ref=PRH745BDD28FA28&linkid=PRH745BDD28FA28&cdi=13F0CB1F062E09D7E0534FD66B0A73BA&template_id=6803

I read five of them. In addition, I may have read The Haunted Bookshop. If not, it will still be on my Paperwhite. This is the sequel to Parnassus on Wheels which I do remember reading. Eight of these books I never heard of, and I saw the movie The World According to Garp. Several of these books I didn't know were about books, like The Fault is in Our Stars. At least three of the books that I haven't read are likely to go on my library wishlist.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18114 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:08 AM »
I've only read one of those, the Zafon, and it riveted me to the point that  I once found myself sitting in a very famous place, a paradise, really,  but I found myself thinking, I could be back in the hotel reading  The Shadow of the Wind!! 

I did not care about the setting when I read it,  but now, having just returned from Barcelona myself, I am going to read it again, to see if it's held up. Wonderful book, then I can read the sequel and maybe a couple  more of his. I know you started the sequel, Frybabe, is it any good?

I'm in the last few (about 10) pages of All Fall Down, a book of fiction, in which the perils of Prescription Drug Abuse, one of the newest fads,  take hold of a nice, normal, suburban mom with  a 5 year old daughter. The author takes us with her into the descent and back out of the abyss, and I must say it's opened my eyes.  She had injured a disk in her back from a Step Class, and was prescribed Percocet. (sp) All I can say is if they ever prescribe Percocet (sp) or especially Vicodan!! take an Aleve instead. One wants to stay well away from Vicodan, apparently,  as the feeling one gets from these two leads to needing Oxycontin  which is stronger, and you're hooked, chemically.  And all those are prescribed.

When I broke my leg some time ago  the hospital gave me Oxycontin on Saturday  and I thought the young Orthopedist,  when seen on Monday,   was going to have a heart attack when he saw what they had given: DON'T TAKE THAT STUFF! he said, IT'S STRONG!   But the way she has explained it, it's different from craving a Diet Coke or chocolate chip cookie, because the body actually has developed a chemical change and dependency on it.  It's the best explanation I've read of how it feels to experience what really happens and how people get sucked into the vortex of dependency which then ruins lives and families. She just wanted to feel in control of her stressed out life, but as it turned out 1 was not enough and 1,000 were not enough and she lost control of everything.  It's a good book, actually.

And now back to the TBR pile, on which EVERYTHING looks good!  I love reading, it takes you away and you can experience so many things!

Frybabe

« Reply #18115 on: August 04, 2017, 11:57:05 AM »
Ginny, I read all three. Did you think it had a kind of Gothic feel to it? The setting is mostly during Franco's regime. Shadow of the Wind reads like a single novel, and in some ways is separate from the next two. The other two pick up threads and undercurrents from the the first, not to mention the relationships of the characters subtle though they may seem or be at times. I am not sure they could be satisfactorily read without reading the first. They answer questions you didn't realize you had after reading the first. I enjoyed all three of them.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18116 on: August 04, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »
I've only read two of the 'books about books'.  I enjoyed The Book Thief, but I really could not stand The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society - so predictable, so twee, so selfconsciously clever. I do, however, appear to be in a minority of one on this one!

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18117 on: August 04, 2017, 08:16:47 PM »
No, you aren't, and twee is a perfect label.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18118 on: August 04, 2017, 08:20:16 PM »
Frybabe, "Gothic?" Could have been.  I remember it was strange, but it's been so long I can't really recall much except it sweeps one away into another world and it's mysterious. Now you have me wanting to read it again big time! I hope I'm not disappointed in it.

I went thru a Gothic cycle of books years and  years ago and that's all I read for escape reading  for a long time. They were all of a pattern, I think that's what I wanted at the time. I was disappointed to learn later on that the authors were writing to an outline, but I believe it because they were so similar.  And many of them in that day were not allowed to publish more than one book a year?  Can that be right? And so they took pen names and some of them had a LOT of pen names.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18119 on: August 04, 2017, 09:50:31 PM »
I think it's interesting how many of these books we've discussed here:

Shadow of the Wind, but not the sequels.

The Jane Austen Book Club.  This was soon after I joined, and Fowler participated in the discussion.  Some of us met with her when she was in DC for a book signing, and she was so friendly and outgoing, it was like talking with an old friend.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society.  Rosemarykaye, you've summed it up nicely.

People of the Book.  I have some issues with this, but it's good.

The Book Thief.   I have issues with his habit of wanting to throw in an attention-getter sentence every few pages, and some of it is pretty improbable, but it's still a good read.

We didn't discuss The Eyre Affair, but it's a hilarious read.