Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1961360 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #18160 on: August 18, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
I went to the library yesterday and was browsing through the books for sale section.  I decided on a few that caught my eye:

Still Alice by Lisa Genova  "Still Alice is a moving and vivid depiction of life with early-onset Alzheimer's disease that is as compelling as A Beautiful Mind and as unforgettable as Ordinary People.  Winner of the 2008 Bronte Prize"

The Last Hundred Days by Patrick McGuinness   "By turns thrilling and satirical, studded with poetry and understated revelation, The Last Hundred Days captures the commonplace terror of cold war Eastern Europe."

The Complete Poems of Emily Dickinson edited by Thomas H. Johnson

Let Me Tell You About Jasper...How My Best Friend Became America's Dog  by Dana Perino  "In this book, Dana tells stories about life and politics-and how dogs can transcend rancor and partisanship.  She talks about how dogs can bring families together-like Dana's own, from her career in Washington through her life as a TV star."
It has numerous illustrated pics photo shopped of her dog Jasper that are hilarious!  Just a fun book!

Words from the White House  (Words and Phrases Coined or Popularized By America's Presidents) by Paul Dickson  "Acclaimed lexicographer Paul Dickson has compiled the first collection of new words and lexical curiosities originating on Pennsylvania Avernue."

Bloviate...loose cannon...normalcy...all were coined by American presidents and have helped define American culture.

I love looking at all the words and phrases and finding out who said it first.  Another fun fact-filled book.

Test your knowledge:  Who said it first?

FLOOGIE BIRD.  A noun of deprecation used and popularized by _____ at the Jefferson-Jackson Day Dinner in Washington D.C., on February 19, 1948:  "These men who live in the past remind me of a toy. . . a small wooden bird called the 'Floogie Bird.' Around the Floogie Bird's neck is a label reading:  "I fly backwards.  I don't care where I'm going, I just want to see where I've been." 

A bit ironic how I opened the book, chose this without rhyme or reason, and yet it fits what we are dealing with in today's world, about looking back at history, and how some want to destroy statues and memorials of past historians.  But for now, let's just have fun and see if you can guess who said it first!!

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18161 on: August 18, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
Wow - I like that --- Around the Floogie Bird's neck is a label reading:  "I fly backwards.  I don't care where I'm going, I just want to see where I've been. Its got to be Truman if 1948 - Dewey never got off the ground to go forward or backward.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18162 on: August 18, 2017, 12:04:15 PM »
Ding, ding, ding..... we have a winner!!  Harry Truman, I knew the date would give it away.  Seems history does keep repeating itself huh? 

Try this one: 

PUSSYFOOTER.  Originally a person who moves quietly or stealthily in the manner of a cat; later, someone who behaves in sly, furtive, or underhanded way, or who acts evasively or in an excessively cautious and hesitant manner. 

____________  said, "They ask that . . . this Senate adjourn and say to this board of managers and their counsel and their corps of detectives and their pussyfooters, go out over the state again and gather up a few cases and come back here."
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Jonathan

« Reply #18163 on: August 18, 2017, 12:34:22 PM »
It's a time to stop and smell the roses. Look what I just found in the book I'm reading. Something called The Joy of Fragrance, a romp through a world full of sweet smells:

'The whole earth is a thurible heaped with incense, afire with the divine, yet not consumed. This is the most spiritual of earth's joys - too subtle for analysis, mysteriously connected with light and with whiteness, for white flowers are sweetest - yet it penetrates the physical being to its depths. Here is a symbol of the material value of spirtual things. If we washed our souls in these healing perfumes as often as we wash our hands, our lives would be infinitely more wholesome. The old herbalists were wise in their simplicity in the making of marigold potions, medicaments of herbs, soothing unguents from melilot and musk-mallow elecampane and agrimony, pillows for the sick from rosemary and basil, beach-leaf mattresses for the weary - for those things cleanse the whole being. 'Goldden saxifrage for melancholy, blue vervain for working magic cures,' said the old physicians; and still the shining saxifrage shames the discontented, and the rare blue vervain diffuses magic. The pasque-flower - dark purple, sun-hearted, with its symbolism of the old grief and the young joy that the Christian mystic puts into the word Easter - was given for cataracts: it cures a darkness worse than that of the eyes. The Arabs give a fusion of roses for phthisis; the aconite, under her cold, slaty roof, keeps a simple for fevers; from the pink cistus, with its heart of five flames, comes the merciful labdanum. Such things are a cordial for body and soul.

A thousand homely plants send out their oils and resins from the still places where they are in touch with vast forces, to heal men of their foulness. The link the places that humanity has made so chokingly dusty with the life-giving airs of the ambrosial meadows - bringing women's heads round quickly and setting people smiling.

Not once only, but every year, the fair young body of the wild rose hangs upon the thorn, redeeming us through the wonder, and crying across the fetid haunts of the money-grubbers with volatile sweetness - 'Father...they know not what they do.'

This, sweet Mary Webb, the Shropshire lass, describes as finding 'the delights of fragrance' and 'disentangling the ravelled sweetness in the air.' Remember her? the author of Pecious Bane, The Golden Arrow, and other delightful books. Something for our dire times.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18164 on: August 18, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »
Well Jonathan you had me on a 2 hour hunt - I was sure I had the book, The Joy of Fragrance but could not find it and the only thing I can think of, since I am sure I had a book with that title, is that I gave it to my daughter.  I did look on Amazon and no The Joy of Fragrance. However, a Victorian tale of a young women whose wealthy father sends her abroad to marry title and she ends up with a cortège of suitable young men called, The Fragrance of Joy.

Along the way got lost in reading, Precious Bane by Mary Webb - remembered reading many books when I was young that still used this romanticized pattern of speech with thoughts about natural world a better homily than any off the alter. Also found another that I put on my list, Beauty: The Invisible Embrace by John O'Donohue. As the opening says in this troubling times the media shows mediocrity and we are turning the natural world into a wasteland so that beauty is made to seem naïve and romantic, I say call me naïve and romantic - it will be my answer since I do not believe all this shouting and aggression helps anyone come together - I never realized I think I am onto something with my soup and apples and now to investigate the ways to bring more beauty into our lives. Yep, I like it - thanks Jonathan... see what you started  :D 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18165 on: August 19, 2017, 07:42:04 AM »
Jonathan, I'm not a grower of herbs, but I can tell you my flower gardens are truly good for my soul.  I walk around my backyard every morning and look at each of the flowers to see if they need weeded, or snip off the old ones to give way for new ones.  My dog romps along with me knowing exactly where I am headed.  I planted a rose bush shoot my sister gave to me that survived the fire that burnt our family home down in 1990, just months after our mother passed away.  My sister and her hubby rebuilt on our family property, and the roses our mother tended to all those years actually survived.  So each morning I go to my little rose bush and see new growth, and say good morning to my Mama in heaven, as I kneel to the angel statue I placed in front of the bush.  Yes, Barb, naive and romantic and I'll even add sentimental helps in a world of aggression.  I opened up my computer today and saw six police officers were shot over night, two in Kissimmee Florida, two in Jacksonville Florida and two in Pennsylvania.  We need to be reminded of the beauty and good in this world, if by only a rose. 

No better a perfect time to read this....

Not once only, but every year, the fair young body of the wild rose hangs upon the thorn, redeeming us through the wonder, and crying across the fetid haunts of the money-grubbers with volatile sweetness - 'Father...they know not what they do.'

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18166 on: August 20, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
Hear ye Hear ye - Change of plan to fall reading schedule...

We will NOT read and discuss The Robber Bridegroom in September

Too many issues that could easily turn our discussion into a political debate and an outrage over history - the best thing is if you already ordered your book is to realize this was written in a time before Civil Rights and about a time in history that is noted by the character Mike Fink who was born in 1770 - the story is about an earlier time that today, we not only find behavior and the common referenced language offensive but the aftermath had currently become a political issue.

So please - in the name of scholarship, that has always been the center of our reads we are cancelling this discussion - yes, the story contained many interesting events and devices used in the early nineteenth century that would be wonderful topics of discussion however, the basic story is of a moral fiber that we realize is still the cause of rage rather than, a historical moral code that has no current validity. Therefore, we are letting this book by Welty pass and instead, we will start The Warden earlier - on October 4 which is the first Monday in October.

Frankly, I would find no joy is discussing a book that brings up issues that are currently causing much angst - Hope y'll can understand - so October 4, first Monday in October - the Supreme Court traditionally convenes following its summer recess and it will be the day we on Senior Learn will discuss The Warden.

Frybabe

« Reply #18167 on: August 20, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
Wow, Barb. Never heard of The Robber Bridegroom and would not have bothered to, never even noticed that it was originally the Sept selection.

However, I have The Warden and have started it at least three times, but never got back to it. It is a small volume I took with me to appointments and never got the chance to get into it more than a page or two. I will be there.

bellamarie

« Reply #18168 on: August 20, 2017, 05:36:46 PM »
Barb, I think that is a very wise decision to choose a new book.  I am finding myself rethink a lot of things of late, and yes, books that were written before, during and even after the Civil War that were awarded Pulitzer Prizes, are now books that can be considered insensitive and cause much conflicting discussions.  We here at Senior Learn love tackling all subjects, but do not need to deal with the current issues of today causing so much angst as you mention.  I had not yet gotten the book, so no problem.  Looking forward to The Warden in October.

My hubby bought me Rhett and Scarlett ceramic figurines along with the book Gone With the Wind for a birthday present, because he knows how much I loved the movie, and had never actually read the book.  I had it on my desk shelf and posted a picture of my beautiful hydrangea flowers in my vase, the next thing I know, someone is asking me about the Rhett/Scarlett figurines.  It gave me pause and made me decide to take the picture of my hydrangeas down.  I know it may seem silly, but for me personally, it really did give me pause and question if I still feel the same way about the story and characters.  I like what my priest said in the Homily today..."We all need to really look inside ourselves and see if we harbor any prejudices we are not even aware are there."    I won't go any further, since I don't intend to spur on any conflict with even bringing this topic up.

On a new topic, I did receive my book The School of Essential Ingredients and look forward to reading it.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18169 on: August 20, 2017, 08:31:40 PM »
I read The Warden something like 30 years ago, with great pleasure, so I'm looking forward to finding much more in it now.  I'm a more perceptive reader now, partly from age and experience, partly from our book discussions here.  And we really tear all the meat out of a book once we get going on it.

Jonathan

« Reply #18170 on: August 20, 2017, 10:12:16 PM »
'I read The Warden something like 30 years ago, with great pleasure....'

That's what the librarian told me the other day, Pat, when I asked her to find a copy for me. As for the Welty book, there's one copy in the system, but it's lost.

Wow!, Frybabe. Just 'a page or two', after three appointments. After serving you so well, The Warden certainly deserves an appointment of its own. But I think we'll have to look for Mrs Proudie elsewhere.

Have you read any Trollope, Bellamarie? That was certainly a handful of interesting  titles you brought home the other day. You're so right. Let's stay away from the controversial stuff.

Here's something I found. It's described as 'one of Trollope's most famous scenes':

'On the next day...Mr Crawley, having been summoned by the archdeacon into the library for a little private conversation, found that he got on better with him. How the archdeacon conquered him may perhaps be best described by a further narration of what Mr Crawley said to his wife. 'I told him that in regard to money matters, as he called them, I had nothing to say. I only trusted that his son was aware that my daughter had no money, and never would have any. "My dear Crawley," the archdeacon said, - for of late there seems to have grown up in the world a habit of greater familiarity than that which I think did prevail when last I moved among men; - "my dear Crawley, I have enough for both." "I would we stood on more equal grounds," I said. Then as he answered me, he rose from his chair. "We stand," said he "on the only perfect level on which such men can meet each other. We are both gentlemen." "Sir," said I, rising also, "fom the bottom of my heart I agree with you. I could not have spoken such words: but coming from you  who are rich to me who am poor, they are honorable to the one and comfortable to the other." '

Isn't that in the true English manner? So diplomatic.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18171 on: August 20, 2017, 10:46:27 PM »
And amusing.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18172 on: August 21, 2017, 01:20:10 AM »
Don't you love it - love that kind of writing where you can smile in the knowing and enjoy the gymnastics with words  -

Jonathan's quote though -  I thought poignant if as 'Gentlemen equals' referred not simply to the imbalance of their wealth as much as, the imbalance and now repaired balance of reputation

Frybabe

« Reply #18173 on: August 21, 2017, 07:48:44 AM »
I just discovered that Tom Hanks has written a book of short stories. It's hardcover release is in October. The title is Uncommon Type: Some Short Stories.

bellamarie

« Reply #18174 on: August 21, 2017, 10:39:43 AM »
Jonathan, No, I have not read Trollope, but it seems I may have missed out on something that sounds fun and interesting.  Mr. Crawley reminds me of Matthew Crawley in the series Downton Abbey, which just ended a year or so ago on Masterpiece PBS channel.  It was such a fun and fine series and I sure do miss it.

Downton Abbey, the award-winning series from Julian Fellowes, spans 12 years of gripping drama centered on a great English estate on the cusp of a vanishing way of life. Nearly six years ago, America fell in love with Downton Abbey‘s Granthams and their family of servants, and has followed them through sweeping change, scandals, love, ambition, heartbreak, and hope ever since. With Julian Fellowes’ crackling writing and its stellar ensemble cast led by Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey delivers wit, warmth, passion and a phenomenon that is, at its heart, utterly human.[/i]

Why do they always cancel the good shows?

Everyone enjoy this eventful day watching the Solar Eclipse...... just protect your eyes, we know how precious they are especially at our ages.  I will be watching on TV and livestreaming.....

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-watch-todays-solar-eclipse-live-no-cable-requir-1798148994

Just a little info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxrLRbkOwKs

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18175 on: August 21, 2017, 04:54:31 PM »
 We had a great experience with the Eclipse here. We were to be in the wide path of totality; it was a total eclipse. And my oldest son picked us up, he had gotten those eclipse glasses and come with his wife and my grandson and we all went  out to Clinton South Carolina, because we were not quite, where we live, in the totality path of it, but Clinton was. And we stopped and had lunch.  And while we were eating it began and we each  kept running  outside to see the phases of it as it slowly ...more slowly than i would have thought....plenty of time for a nice lunch....crossed.  And we went outside just in time for the last quarter and then it got dark it was amazing it was just amazing and it really was something to remember.

Crowds of people and everybody very excited and  cheering, and where we ate there  were television monitors all around showing it as it came across the country.   The hostess of the restaurant the first time my grandson  and son went out to check the progress as there as nothing outside to gauge it by, said are you finished already? And they said no we haven't gotten our food yet we're going to watch the eclipse for a minute and they went out and came back and she hadn't seen it so my son lent her his glasses, then she got to go out and see it as it began about the first quarter.

I wasn't sure how this would work because we did have a sunny day, and there were some clouds but thankfully they held off , and they weren't where we went,  and it was broiling hot it was just broiling.

However the chickens when we got back home and it was still partially covered did not roost, but the cat this morning would not come out of the barn, isn't that interesting?

A really fun exciting thing to remember. I don't remember ever having been in a total eclipse before. Your shadow on the ground gets very sharp , my grandson's science teacher had told them that it will get very sharp and it did,  it was eerie, it was really cool ....did any of you see it?

bellamarie

« Reply #18176 on: August 21, 2017, 05:20:19 PM »
Here in Toledo, Ohio we had tons of clouds and were no where near the path of it.  We did not have any glasses and were too untrustworthy to buy them.  It got a little dusk out for just a few minutes, and the sun came out.  I did get a pic of me and my hubby with out backs to the sun to keep as a memory of the event though.  Sounds you you had a great view of it, how wonderful to experience with your family!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18177 on: August 21, 2017, 05:23:44 PM »
I'm almost sure there was an eclipse back in either the late 60s or maybe it was the 70s - I remember the children making all these boxes with a pin hole to see the eclipse.

bellamarie

« Reply #18178 on: August 21, 2017, 05:26:12 PM »
Barb, I made the cereal box with the pinhole in it today and watched the sun!  It was pretty neat, but just not much, because we were not in the path of it.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18179 on: August 21, 2017, 06:30:18 PM »
Yeah it was reallly great.

Here are some facts about the past eclipses:

Why is This Total Solar Eclipse So Important to SC?

---First transcontinental total solar eclipse in 99 years; the last one to cross the U.S. coast to coast was in 1918. (The 1918 total solar eclipse was not visible from Columbia, South Carolina.)

--- First total solar eclipse in the continental US since 1979, visible from only five states in the Northwest United States (38 years ago). There was a total eclipse over Hawaii in 1991 and the last total solar eclipse over South Carolina was visible only from the coastal region in 1970.

So it's the only time it's come here in almost 100 years,  and the next one visible in Columbia SC is in 2078.

From: http://scmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Fact-Sheet-Total-Eclipse-Weekend-Columbia-SC-Aug.-21-2017.pdf

So it's a big thing here. My first, for sure. :)

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18180 on: August 21, 2017, 09:39:30 PM »
Aha - mystery solved - called my son and yes, he was 11 and for us it was not a total eclipse that passed over Mexico but he remembered making the boxes so that was 1970 - evidently the news said tonight that here we would experience a total eclipse in 2024 which is 7 years from now - and so what you had today looks like we should experience down the line.

I really wonder how much pull the moon does have on us - could explain the awful morning I had - we have become so indoctrinated with the idea our life experiences are because of our choices in life there is little room left for the natural rhythm of the moon much less the change in seasons.

Well I feel better my confusion is cleared - mystery solved.

Just dawned on my - I wondered if there was a novel written about the pull of the moon and sure enough... just googled and Good Reads gives this tid bit.

The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg 

Dear Martin, I'm sorry the note I left you was so abrupt. I just wanted you to know I was safe...I won't be back for a while. I'm on a trip. I needed all of a sudden to go, without saying where, because I don't know where. I know this is not like me. I know that. But please believe me, I am safe and I am not crazy. I felt as though if I didn't do this I wouldn't be safe and I would be crazy...And can you believe this? I love you. - Nan.

Sometimes you have to leave your life behind for a while to see it and really live freshly again. In this luminous, exquisitely written novel, a woman follows the pull of the moon to find her way home. Sometimes humorous, sometimes heartbreaking, always honest, The Pull of the Moon is a novel about the journey of one woman - and about the issues of the heart that transforms the lives of all women. 

Sounds interesting...

bellamarie

« Reply #18181 on: August 22, 2017, 10:29:37 AM »
Yes, the next total eclipse will be in 2024 and Barb, you and I will get to experience what Ginny, and others did yesterday.  The next eclipse will be in our direct path!!! 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/solar-eclipse-april-8-2024-america/

Speaking of the pull of the moon, one of my friends posted on FB today how she had the most jumbled, confusing, exhausting dreams of her life last night and couldn't even begin to figure out what it all meant.  I'm wondering if that eclipse had any effect on her and others.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18182 on: August 22, 2017, 11:33:53 AM »
Fabulous! Do not miss it.

Two things to look for:

1. Your shadow will be razor sharp, it's eerie.

2. Look in the woods under the trees for crescent lights as it begins not when it's full or waning.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #18183 on: August 22, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »
We drove an hour to totality in Pikeville, TN.  It didn't get as dark as I had expected, but it was awesome beyond belief!  Another to watch (listen) for is that as soon as it darkens, the crickets and other night critters will start their songs.  A fabulous experience!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18184 on: August 22, 2017, 01:26:27 PM »
Wow interesting MaryZ that the night critters start their song when the sun is behind the moon - ha maybe that explains my nature - my thinking is so much clearer after dark - maybe I was a cricket in an earlier life or maybe a frog or my goodness a bat. 

Jonathan

« Reply #18185 on: August 22, 2017, 10:11:32 PM »
It's just marvellous reading all your reactions to the celestial spectacular. 'A fabulous experience.' 'From broiling hot to really cool!' That must have been eerie. For another the eclipse brought on 'the most jumbled, confusing, exhausting dreams'. Barb's head cleared up. But not to worry. Nobody would take you for being batty. Now or ever.

The show was cancelled where I live. I'm sorry I have to wait another seven years for another chance at this unique experience. The only thing different about my day was the strange grin on my cat's face all day. And my wife's stuffed dog gave out a sharp bark.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18186 on: August 23, 2017, 12:52:01 PM »
We only got 80% of the effect of the eclipse but I was watching it on TV when it was crossed the SC coast.  A news man from NBC was announcing the event from a ROYAL CARIBBEAN cruise ship
and when the moon crossed the sun completely, he disappeared along with all the passengers on that ship. I think it was 4 minutes and they all reappeared again!  Wonderful experience.

I remember my kids making the pinhole viewers!  And they worked quite well!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #18187 on: August 23, 2017, 03:59:54 PM »
Jonathan, oh what a laugh you got out of me with:

The only thing different about my day was the strange grin on my cat's face all day. And my wife's stuffed dog gave out a sharp bark.

Since I made a sanctuary in my backyard with beautiful flowers of all kinds and put up my bird feeders I have sat at my kitchen table or on my patio swing and watched the birds come to eat.  Well, to my surprise we not only get the most beautiful birds from cardinals, blue jays, finch, humming birds, woodpeckers, sparrows, robins, and many others but today while sitting on the patio swing we spotted a young Cooper's Hawk just sitting on the grass near our shed.  Last year there was a huge adult one on our fence and must not have been hungry because a squirrel was on the same fence just inches away and the hawk did nothing.  They both seemed to have fallen asleep as I video taped them.  Today all my birds went hiding in my Rose of Sharon.  Oh the joys of nature!!

Barb or Ginny feel free to resize these.  One day I will learn to do it myself.  Thank you.

Young Cooper's Hawk

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18188 on: August 23, 2017, 04:49:26 PM »
Done - fabulous shots...

bellamarie

« Reply #18189 on: August 24, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »
Good Morning everyone!!  Thank you Barb.

So...What is everyone presently reading?

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18190 on: August 24, 2017, 11:22:19 AM »
I am reading The Address by Fiona Davis.  It is centered around two women,one in 1885 and one in 1985, who live in the Dakota apartment house on New York city's West Side.  I am loving it.  I just yesterday arrived back in hot humid Sarasota from Maine, warm in the day and cool at night.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18191 on: August 24, 2017, 12:09:02 PM »
started The School of Essential Ingredients intriguing - let's see where this goes - so far it does not grab me however, I am only on page 11.

Frybabe

« Reply #18192 on: August 24, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »
I'm reading the first of the Laiden Universe SciFi by Sharon Lee and Steve Miller called Crystal Dragon and a 1913 book by Burton E. Stevenson called The Marathon Mystery. I am enjoying both very much.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18193 on: August 25, 2017, 10:19:44 AM »
Getting ready for the storm - still have to fill-up the car with gas and pickup a few sacks of dirt that I can use later - there is one low spot near the entry to my garage and with a few sacks of soil I can create a barrier. I filled several plastic containers with ice so that if the power goes out the ice can keep things in the freezer cold and at my son's suggestion I will fill up the bathtub with water tonight.

I checked with Jim Spencer our local weather man on channel KXAN and asked him to compare the projections for this storm to the known rainfall in the awful 1981 flood when my garage and laundry room flooded (my daughter had just moved back from Houston and everything she owned was in the garage - we set up the ping pong table and saved some of it) - the only thing that saved the house was we had several sacks of cement for a project in the garage that we pulled to the kitchen door - Jim  assured me that we were not expecting that much rain which was 14" and since, there had been much the city did to mitigate that kind of flooding - so I can breath a bit easier.

Now if we do not loose power I have an entire weekend to read - what a treat - we are delaying putting a house on the market till after the storm because we know there will be no one house hunting and so I have a free weekend - tra la...

bellamarie

« Reply #18194 on: August 25, 2017, 10:23:21 AM »
Barb, not sure where you are in location to hurricane Harvey, but I pray for all of Texas and those in the path of this hurricane. 

Be safe!!   Ooops we were posting at the same time.  Our weather channel is saying the amount of rain projected is more than ever before, so prepare for the worst and hope for the best.  I'll definitely be thinking of you and praying for all of Texas.  As the song goes...God Bless Texas!

I am reading two books:  We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han and Summerland by Elin Hilderbrand.  I have to admit I've been reading them all summer, they are not page turners, but I will finish them.  I prefer non-fiction reads.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18195 on: August 25, 2017, 10:58:43 AM »
I just finished The Last Lecture and two Ken Follett books. One non-fiction and two fiction.  All summer reads. 
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

nlhome

« Reply #18196 on: August 25, 2017, 09:04:41 PM »
I'm reading two: The Healing Wound by Gitta Sereny (non fiction) and His Majesty's Hope by Susan Elia MacNeal. Waiting in the wings is Death of a Hollow Man.

Frybabe

« Reply #18197 on: August 26, 2017, 05:43:32 AM »
Looks like Harvey will cause quite a mess. The storm is a slow mover and is butting up against a High pressure cell that is keeping it pretty much in place.

Barb, I hope you fare well through the storm.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18198 on: August 26, 2017, 10:13:42 AM »
thanks caught up in the long facebook exchanges between folks trying to check on parents who no longer have vehicles and are living on their Social without enough funds left till the first of the month so they could not get off Port Aransas - the ferries stopped on Thursday and some fool insurance company decided to publish their number to replace the number for the emergency center so that all their relatives attempting to get them help did not have the accurate phone number and now even Facebook is down - someone's Dad in Corpus couldn't get out and was bitten badly by a pit bull left loose and no medical help can reach him - somehow we still do not have funds to help the poor and those living on SS to get out of the path of these storms - I have no knowledge how to get a fund started but I think I will write to AARP and to our Congressmen although I do not expect the government to do anything maybe there is some group that helps the aged that could start an emergency fund to get the elders out of harms way.

bellamarie

« Reply #18199 on: August 27, 2017, 01:41:15 PM »
What a shame, we are such a wealthy country, and can give billions of dollars to other nations who hate us, and yet we can not help our elderly, veterans and poor here in the USA.  What about FEMA and Red Cross, Barb?  My prayers are for all of those in the path of Harvey.