Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1965565 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: The Library
« Reply #18200 on: August 29, 2017, 12:43:27 PM »

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18201 on: August 29, 2017, 12:44:14 PM »
Barb, I think we're all praying for everyone in the floodpath, but especially for you.  Please take care and be all right.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18202 on: August 29, 2017, 01:04:58 PM »
Thanks Pat - rain stopped yesterday afternoon and today the sun is out - however, my Son is in Houston on the northwest side - his street is flooded on both ends and two houses had large trees fall through their roof so the neighbors are all taking care of each other - from the look of things they are at the edge of the last train of heavy rain and wind so they should be rain free later today unless this crazy storm does another twist - it is still gathering strength along the coast for another assault east of Houston.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #18203 on: August 29, 2017, 01:13:56 PM »
Good to see you back up Barb. I haven't seen any news, here,regarding Austin, but I was told today by someone I talked to in Dallas that Austin did get some flooding. I hope your son didn't get too much damage. From the pictures I see on the news things don't look good (understatement I am sure) for many.

My sister keeps in contact with a childhood friend whose sister lives in Houston. They had just recently finished redoing their house after flooding in 2015. They did not get flood insurance because they were in the 100 year zone and decided to take their chances, so that on was on them. This time they have the insurance. As I understand it, they are out of the house and on higher ground not too far up the street in their RV. The roads are not passable.

In the meantime, a dog story :  http://kxan.com/2017/08/29/dog-who-carried-his-own-food-during-harvey-reunited-with-family/

bellamarie

« Reply #18204 on: August 29, 2017, 01:16:14 PM »
So glad to hear you are okay Barb, and your son is as well.  Americans always show their best in times of crisis.  Good to hear the rain is stopping.  God bless Texas, and all in the path of this hurricane. 

Frybabe, I think I heard there will be government assistance for rebuilding, regardless of insurance or not.  I hope so.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18205 on: August 29, 2017, 06:25:17 PM »
Flooding here but nothing in comparison to either Houston or the coast around Rockport and Aransas - the word has finally reached the ears of all the new comers to stay off the roads that all the creeks rise out of their banks and flood the roads so that it only takes a few inches of water on the road to pull into the raging creek large pickups and vans much less a sedan and so, our usual locations where flooding occurs are cleaning up - we had such a bad time of flooding in 2015 and the city bought up all those houses near the creek so there were no houses full of water.

Just east of us by about a half hour is Bastrop where the river crested higher than any time in recorded history and so to at La Grange where it crested during the night at 54 inches making highway 71 to Houston impassable. The southeast part of town received more rain than where I am located in the Northwest part of town - we received 7.4 while southeast where the airport is located received 11.2 - Places just east of us, like La Grange received 24 inches of rain.

Heavy rain just about out of Houston proper but still heavy east and north of Houston over east by Beaumont is being heavily hit now and on up into the forests of east Texas. They did transfer a couple of thousand prisoners out of the big correctional center in Huntsville - that area is not populated like Houston but is getting battered as badly.

Hard to settle down after a storm like that - this time I was scared when the water was too much to flow past my front porch and was seeping into my front hall - no lightening or thunder just a driving driving rain that went on for hours and hours along with the wind howling and then whistling - thank goodness my daughter is also a night owl although she may have been in bed but stayed with me on the phone for almost 2 hours - I called her about 1: in the morning which means it was 2: in the morning in NC - she had power of course and could follow and report everything to me from the weather station she was watching. I've been in lots of hurricanes during my life but this one was the scariest.

Now the clean up and of course the heartbreak as folks learn what they have lost - seems to me of the many who fled Katrina to Texas, they were all resettled and pretty much moving forward within 4 to 6 months - probably about half never went back and instead relocated near host families getting jobs and buying their houses here when their various claims were settled - The ones that were rescued to places like Baton Rouge and Slidell, living afterwards mostly in the FEMA mobile homes, took longer and I remember I-10 still being littered over a year later with lots of large debris. Things like whole roofs hanging high in trees and wings or whole fuselages from airoplanes littering the side of the highway.  I used I-10 to get home over the Holidays when I visited my daughter - so we shall see - I think Katrina was a great lesson that those in charge benefited from during this storm.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18206 on: August 30, 2017, 09:18:52 AM »
Barb, that was really scary.  Thank goodness you had your daughter to talk to.  Take care in the aftermath.

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #18207 on: August 30, 2017, 10:50:19 AM »
Barb...I'm glad you and your home are safe.  It sounds as if all along 77 from Corpus north was really hit hard.  We've often went over to 77 from Waco and stayed in LaGrange (and love the gourmet Kitchen Shop there) and/or Victoria when we've gone south to SPI.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18208 on: August 30, 2017, 11:45:27 AM »
Yes Jane, Victoria was battered badly but not as bad as Rockport and Aransas - and you are correct - all the way up 77 - the eye of the storm was around Gonzales for quite awhile - further north the towns that received so much damage like La Grange was not as much directly from the storm as they are towns where a river or creek goes through -

You know Jane, how quickly even a dry creek fills up and all the creeks and rivers were over their banks in no time just from the amount of water coming out of the sky - west of Austin and west of San Antonio received practically no rain at all - maybe 2 inches - so it was all from the unbelievable torrents of water falling just immediately west of I-35 over to the east - everything in Texas flows towards the coast and mostly flows southeast with several major rivers flowing into the Gulf at or near Houston

Here is a map with just the major rivers - each of these rivers has many many creeks that flood and in Houston many bayous

Some loose stats I have read is the amount of rain 20 trillion (20,000,000,000,000) gallons of water fell across east Texas during Harvey. To compare, around 6.5 trillion gallons fell during Hurricane Katrina in 2005.  That translates into filling every NFL and Division I football stadium more than 100 times. If the precipitation totals in Houston fell as snow the way they did during Buffalo's epic double lake-effect snowstorm of November 2014, it would pile up roughly 421 inches.

Houston is as big as the State of Delaware

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18209 on: August 30, 2017, 11:55:41 AM »
So glad you are doing ok, Barbara. What a mess in Houston.  Didn't I hear that it will take years to rebuild there?  Sounds like when Katrina hit! We have all been praying for the many folks who are so hard hit in all areas of the hurricane!🤓❤️❤️❤️
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #18210 on: August 30, 2017, 12:00:26 PM »
Barb...yes, it looks like the whole coast from south of CC up to and above Houston and now east are badly damaged.  So many people and businesses to try and rebuild.  It's heartbreaking.

I know that a heavy rain in Iowa is quickly absorbed...at SPI it just floods since at sea level there's no place for it to go.

jane

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18211 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:00 PM »
Talking with my son last evening who lives in the Houston area - he came through with no damage - has a generator so the power off was not the problem as it is to many - anyhow for the last couple of years after he retired early from Fed Ex (he was the Houston manager of all domestic unloading and delivery) he joined a small company that brings Dialysis Clinics up to code and rehabs them - their expertise is in buildings with mold so they have business through out the southwest - he said during their phone conference yesterday they will have enough business right in Houston to last for years and they will need to find and bring on good crews and sub-contractors - if they are seeing the future in rebuilding there will be lots of rebuilding so anyone from other parts of this nation that are in construction ought to think about re-locating for a few years.   

Frybabe

« Reply #18212 on: August 30, 2017, 05:25:05 PM »
Silly question: When are we starting The Warden? The main index still says Oct 4.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18213 on: August 30, 2017, 09:56:47 PM »
Frybabe, I think that's still the plan.  Barb has to bail herself out first anyway.

I dug out my yellowed paperback the other day.  Don't remember when I read it, but the price is 95 cents.  I took a look and remembered why I liked it the first time.  So I'm looking forward to it whenever.

Jonathan

« Reply #18214 on: August 30, 2017, 11:01:02 PM »
Keep us posted, Barb. We're following the storm with great interest up here in Canada. Turning the rainfall into 421 inches of snow sends a shudder through all of us. That exceeds anything in bygone ice ages I'm sure. And now I can, in turn, ask the question I heard many years ago in a charming Texan drawl. I was pitching the family tent down your way, with difficulty. The kids were getting impatient and it was getting dark. I must have been cussing. Out of the dark came the pleasant voice: "Y'all need some help?"

I got my copy of The Warden and am I pleased about it, and looking forward to reading it. It can't be more than 2 or 3 ounces. I'm working away at Niall Ferguson's Kissinger, which weighs in at 4 pounds. It's a great book. Both a mental and physical challenge.

bellamarie

« Reply #18215 on: August 31, 2017, 12:02:59 AM »
Oh Barb, I am so glad to hear you are okay after such a scary experience.  I have been glued to my television watching all the rescues and am just in shock seeing all the devastation in Texas and Louisiana.  I agree, I think much was learned over Katrina and it seems action was taken before, during and after Harvey to make things go more smoothly.  It will surely take years to rebuild what has been lost.  Just know all of the country is praying for all of you.  I've made my donation to The American Red Cross, which seems so small compared to what is needed. 

Jonathan, I had to giggle, I use the expression Ya'll everyday, even though I live in Ohio.  My step father was from Tennessee, and my grandparents on my mother's side was from Kentucky.  So I guess I picked it up along the way.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18216 on: August 31, 2017, 10:56:20 AM »
 Heavens, Barbara, what an absolute horror. One looks at the television in shock. You have to keep telling yourself that these scenes of  what looks like a lake with boats all over it are actually city streets and lawns and fields, and it's unbelivable,  it really is. Are you going to have sustained much damage in your house?

One thing that really shocked me,  too, is,  the fact stated that apparently?   if you don't have specific insurance for natural   flood disaster, a rider  on your homeowners policy,  or a separate policy just for that, then you have no insurance on this catastrophe, you have to rely on FEMA? Can that be true?   That would explain why a lot of people in the north still don't have reparation. STILL after Sandy.   And many people don't know, I didn't know, that you must specify  natural causes in order to be covered with flood insurance, when this type of thing happens, not a pipe bursting in your house.

And you sit and look at those houses with the water up to the windows and I mean it's not nice water,  it's not clean water.... it's awful awful awful. What an absolute disaster  ---that mother and child---so sad---but how heroic the people of Texas are looking!   Quite inspiring to see them. I'm glad you're all right!

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18217 on: August 31, 2017, 05:13:59 PM »
Yes it is true on flood insurance - there is only one source of flood insurance and that is the Federal Government - it is not cheap and those residential properties that are within a 100 year flood plain are required to carry flood insurance - the Army Corp of Engineers are the ones who yearly update the maps noting the flood plain - problem comes in when folks have land since a good piece of land will have a creek but the way they demand you carry flood insurance is if you are carrying a mortgage and if a piece of any structure is built, even a corner of it, in the flood plain.

If your home is not in a flood plain it is very difficult to even obtain flood insurance and again, it is very very costly especially for the average middle class family to add that insurance to their monthly budget - then it gets even more sticky because after, I think it was Carla or maybe Beulah in the 1960s, they separated the flood insurance from wind damage - so the issue gets to be a second policy to cover wind damage and then the huge fight over if the damage is from the wind or the water.

Then in the 80s we have the monster change if you report water damage on any home insurance that report stays on record with the property and the next buyer cannot get any insurance except from a very few insurers who of course charge huge premiums. Followed by no insurers wanting to cover mold damage - so again, no real coverage and best not report it.

So with all those restrictions and costs the idea that 80% will not have flood or wind damage and their regular house insurance will not be offering them help is the way of things. Governor Abbot doing everything to impress Trump in order to get the cooperation of FEMA is making him a silent hero even if some of his initiatives leave us with a bad taste in our mouths.

And then wait and see - there will be social engineering in Houston just as there was in New Orleans - with a clean slate there will be lots of changes that will affect where folks can afford to live and the integrity of the neighborhoods that return to their post Harvey status - the damage that for sure in our heat will quickly become an issue of mold (we are still on a normal day in the high 90s) re-building will allow all kinds of charter and private schools to replace public schools with the current push for vouchers making it all happen. Shock Doctrine will bring the big for profit investors.

The news cannot show everything - the average person in Texas is about taking care of each other so the concept of being a hero is foreign - young boys growing up learn 3 basic things - do not leave the house without your hat, say yes ma'am/sir and no ma'am/sir and offer to help everyone - boys take a pride that is not prideful but an expectation for helping especially, if there is some physical requirement - they tend to buy pickups with four wheel drives so they can pull other vehicles out of the mud - they help wildlife that is caught in some entanglement and they help neighbors especially those who live alone - it is how they see themselves in life, to be competent and help others. 

This was the biggest issue during Katrina - the national guard came in and stopped so much volunteer help - for instance the huge convoy of eighteen wheeler's that our Texas Grocery Chain, HEB deploys was stopped - this convoy of trucks set up food kitchens that feed 4000 and 5000 a day as well as they bring all sorts of supplies that the media did not photo but was in both Corpus and Rockport and then they were in Sugarland, now part of Houston -

This service from HEB was not allowed into New Orleans - they were stopped and all their volunteers and donations were stuck for days in this line of vehicles bringing help so that anything that was perishable had to be trashed as well as they had to turn around and go back. That was not just a waste but a blow to the heart of the people in this area - it was against their character and so, if you notice at first it was only the Texas National Guard, the local police and a mass of volunteers - then, as more from out of state joined the effort, there were no guardsmen or police pointing weapons as they did during Katrina - since no volunteer was stopped, the upshot, some shelters had too many volunteers. Again, Greg Abbot and Sylvester Turner, the mayor of Houston, know their people.

I'm still picking up ball moss and I need to get someone to power wash my front porch - there is the black mark on the brick where it came up a couple of inches - may need to replace the plate at the front door because the wood under it was soaked and it may need to be replaced. the back of the house is a step up from the back patio where as the front is just a few inches from the concrete porch.

The only tree I have to worry about since we have more rain coming is a huge Ash located half way down the back - although a shallow rooted tree the roots are all over the yard and so it may be the roots are so spread the 50 year old tree would not easily tip over - the rest are all live oak which have deep deep roots that go through the limestone the house sits on and in the far back near the back fence, I have some Chinaberries and a couple of Hackberries that the bird brought in 40 years ago that can easily be replaced with better trees although, I like the blossoms and berries on the Chinaberry trees, they are a natural pesticides. There was a myth that planting Chinaberries near a house kept away malaria and TB. 

Lots of folks in the area are taking in displaced families - thought about it but I just cannot so I'm donating what I can that is needed - I am so ready for the fall activities - another week and we start - the temps will still be high and feel like summer and we will still be cleaning up damage but there will be football and the fall holidays to change our feeling of gratitude - life is good...

And yes, I am looking forward to our group discussing The Warden - it will be nice to mentally go back to the ironies of life during Victorian England - so glad that Pat you have read the book and will join us - and Jonathan with your wit - love it - and what fun that Frybabe will join us - and Bellamarie who we can depend upon to see things we often miss and make dead on comparisons to other events. I'm loving this for the fall - Later in September we may do a pre-discussion with this one - let's look at the last weekend in September so that the history of what was happening at that time both in England and here to sorta center us and any tidbits about the author - yes, let's plan on a pre-discussion starting say about Sunday the 27th and then we will start the actually read on October 4. 

Ok back to picking up ball moss...

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18218 on: August 31, 2017, 09:04:24 PM »
Barb:
The news cannot show everything - the average person in Texas is about taking care of each other so the concept of being a hero is foreign - young boys growing up learn 3 basic things - do not leave the house without your hat, say yes ma'am/sir and no ma'am/sir and offer to help everyone - boys take a pride that is not prideful but an expectation for helping especially, if there is some physical requirement - they tend to buy pickups with four wheel drives so they can pull other vehicles out of the mud - they help wildlife that is caught in some entanglement and they help neighbors especially those who live alone - it is how they see themselves in life, to be competent and help others.
They might not think of that as heroic, but it's a pretty good idea of heroism.

Frybabe

« Reply #18219 on: September 01, 2017, 06:44:14 AM »
BBC TV News this morning had an interesting comparison between the Texas flooding and the one in Bangladesh. Ex: lives lost Texas-38 vs.Bangladesh-1,200. Another, example given was the amount of government money for relief money pledged to TX is $5.9B whereas the money pledged by India to one state, Bihar, was $78M which had 500 deaths due to a flood.  The reporter did not make any comment on the disparities between the numbers, letting them speak for themselves (I suppose).

Ah, here is a similar print article from the online BBC News website. http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-41094892 It appears BBC News is getting criticized for covering the Texas disaster to the detriment of other worldwide disasters in poorer countries.

Back to Texas, I heard that Mexico is helping with aid. Don't know about other countries, although BBC TV indicated worldwide offers of help.

bellamarie

« Reply #18220 on: September 02, 2017, 10:33:18 AM »
Barb, I am so glad you are okay, ball moss doesn't sound so bad, compared to the rest of the mess going on.  Reading your post sure does give us Northerners a real insight to what Texas has, and is experiencing with the floods and insurance.  All those volunteers helping others is truly heroism in the eyes of us here glued to our television sets.  I saw a beautiful video someone posted on Facebook the other day that gives us a real sense of the average every day Texan helping their neighbor.  It has given us all around the country and world, a glimpse into the human hearts of Texans and others who come from states nearby to lend a helping hand.  It's sad it takes a hurricane to quiet the hate the media has been reporting 24/7 for the past year or so where politics are concerned.

This brought tears to my eyes, but it also swelled my heart to see the beauty of human kindness in the devastation.

https://www.facebook.com/charliediggs/videos/10210276735579509/

I too am looking forward to the opening game of Michigan Wolverines football against Florida today.  We have had crisp mornings, my dogwood tree has changed to fall colors and football has officially begun, so I am in my element!!  I'm going to take my two little grandkids Zak and Zoey to Play Zone which just opened seconds away from my house today, let them enjoy all the arcade games and take them home and watch the football game.  In my enthusiastic cheering voice ...........  Let's Go Blue!!!   

This is me all football season long.....I so wish I knew how to resize pics, please someone help me out here and make it smaller.  Thanks~

Can't wait for the pre discussion to begin if it means it brings some happiness to Barb.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18221 on: September 02, 2017, 11:21:00 AM »
Bellamarie!! LOOKit you! Change your photo avatar  immediately,  you look gorgeous, no joke!

I think it's not just Texas, I think it's all of America,  that... what I call heroism..   It just takes a crisis to bring it out.  There are a lot of unsung heroes all over this country.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18222 on: September 02, 2017, 02:25:30 PM »
Yes, agree with Ginny that is a fabulous photo of you Bellamarie - you do look as Ginny says, gorgeous, no joke!

Yes, Frybabe there is help from Mexico - that whole immigration issue really has no easy answer - for now, the only solutions seem to have us throwing the baby out with the bathwater - but the amount of police work and havoc wrought just here in Austin from not just drug cartels setting up shop or using the highway through town as part of their shipping system but, the huge number of houses raided week after week filled with youngsters smuggled in for these sex houses.

Most of the men come as laborers, which this part of the country depended upon for years and years - they come alone - spend a couple of years here and then go back - in the meantime they want sex and then there are others in the community that learn of the house and there we have it - not just a few but as I say, nearly every week a house is raided and these pathetic teens living in squalor are released - the state flies them back to either Mexico City or Monterrey.

However, the Mexican government then does not get them back into the arms of their family who probably sold them in the first place. Many, once the family reaches 6 or 7 children, the oldest, who may only be 13 but for sure by the time they are 15 are taken to a large city and dropped off to fend for themselves by usually their Dad.

Transporting them back closer to their home is a lot of police and transportation expense for the state - it would be nice if those who come were all the families wanting to create a better life - it is a difficult problem since the families that do add are in the middle of all sorts of violence which is not a sometimes happening.

Years ago there was none of this violent organized criminal lifestyle - just folks wanting to work and some either created a second family here or were able in time to bring their Mexican family - that all changed in the last 25 or so years - I do not know which came first - the war on drugs or, the drug traffic became so great they decided to attack it as a war but the cartel's and their infighting spilled into the city - followed by sex houses requires extra policing to try to keep things from roaring out of control as they did in Laredo. These are the problems that the Governor is wanting to address with the only solution they know, that sadly affects anyone that is not a citizen. 

Frankly I'm conflicted - the only solution I can think of is for everyone here for awhile with a clean record to take the step to become a citizen. But then that is not a clean solution either since, the way of those who get angry at each other is to report them with some crime that they end up with a record and the crime is exaggerated by the one doing the reporting just to get back at whom ever - a lot of this among husband and wives who cannot make a go of their marriage and one or the other purposely, in their anger reports the other most often for battering but also for a bogus sex crime. With little financial resources the one reported cannot do what it takes to free themselves and so with a crime on their record they can never be approved for citizenship.

None of this is easy. The media likes quick short explanations and pounces on what sounds heartless without either understanding what is involved or not wanting to report the underlying issues or just plain wanting to create a sensation to sell copy. Then it all gets so politicized instead of developing some new solutions that have not yet been thought of or tried.

If you read Hillbilly Elegy the kind of behavior that is rampant among those who are from such rural poverty in Mexico is similar to the generations of those who live in Appalachia. Sure there are good people who are poor and live a more secluded life in Appalachia. In my mind there should be a way to maintain your surroundings without having to move on in order to achieve change. However, as the author of Hillbilly Elegy shows the behavior goes with those who cling to the life as the know it. With a change of location there is comfort clinging to the lifestyle you know - So too with those from Mexico and Central America - the difference - there are more and more coming north every year and they are not citizens so the solution seen by many is to send them back. 

Crass commenting on all this and than talking football season but hay - on to all the color and emotion of a game and being grateful that 'there but for the grace of God go I...'

bellamarie

« Reply #18223 on: September 05, 2017, 11:04:43 AM »
Barb and Ginny thank you for your kind words. 

Wow!  Reading your post Barb it sure does give others a clearer and better understanding of what Texas is dealing with, along with the other states the illegals are crossing into the U.S.  The drugs, crimes, sex and human trafficking is an issue the media doesn't seem to want to cover, instead they play on the emotions of families being split apart who are deported.  Other countries have no problem putting you in their jail or prisons if you cross illegally, we seem to be one of the few who have allowed this with no consequences and now it is out of control.  There is no easy, quick solution, but I know the problem has cost our country dearly not only financially, but loss of lives at the hands of the illegal criminals.  We have always been a welcoming nation, a nation with a huge heart for humanity, and it seems because of this we are paying the price in more ways than one.  I believe we have to set laws and everyone living in our country should be expected to live by those laws with no exceptions.  Anyone who breaks those laws should be dealt with, be it illegals be sent back to their country, and prison for felony crimes committed.  There should be NO two tier system.  It's bad enough we see politicians getting away with crimes, while if the average person did the same thing, they would not be walking free, running for president or any other office.  Geez..... when did we become so complacent? 

On a lighter topic....my team Michigan won 33 - 17 over Florida, Go Blue!!! 

I'm still struggling to get through with the book Summerland, after I finish it, I think I will take a long break from reading Elin Hilderbrand.  This book could have been pages shorter for certain.     

bellamarie

« Reply #18224 on: September 06, 2017, 12:07:21 PM »
Oh heavens look out Florida hurricane Irma is directed straight for you!!  My daughter lives in Port Richey which is inland, so talking with her she is getting nervous, but not fear any flooding.  They just bought a new home last June, she is certain it is not considered in the flooding zone.  I imagine she will still get plenty effects from this hurricane.  I told her to go out and buy water, staples, candles, flashlights and batteries in case they loose power.  She has lived in Florida for twenty years so this is not her first rodeo, so to speak, but are you ever used to it?  The highways are jammed due to early evacuees.  Let's all keep Florida in your prayers, along with the hurricane Harvey victims.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18225 on: September 06, 2017, 01:10:18 PM »
suggestion Bellamarie - fill up her vehicle now before the long lines after the storm - as many that are filling up for their exodus there will be 5 times as many after the storm and if the power is out there is no way to pump gas - also put important papers and a clean set of underwear in a plastic bag in case of evacuation or in case the water rises.  I also have learned over the years to make sure I have a few sacks of either sand or potting soil to block doorways.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18226 on: September 06, 2017, 03:06:54 PM »
Just to add fire to the water: I'm in Portland, OR now, to start setting up an apartment.  The western part of the state is full of fierce forest fires, encouraged by hot weather and a long dry spell.  The smoke and ash have reached here.  Yesterday was the worst.  The full moon was a deep red-orange, and when the sun rose, you could look at it, an orange ball, in a greyish yellow sky.  Ash has been sifting down all week, but yesterday you had to use wipers occasionally to clear your car windows.  Did you know there are two air quality categories worse than red?  We were the worst--hazardous.  Nobody should go outside if possible.  I'm sensitive to air quality, and have been cowering in my daughters' air conditioned quarters, not getting much done.

140 hikers were cut off in the Columbia River gorge, and spent the night huddled together in a mass to keep warm, not knowing if there would be a way out or if the circle of flames would close in on them.  In the morning the helicopters came, and all were rescued, with only one case of hypothermia, treated and recovered.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18227 on: September 06, 2017, 10:07:32 PM »
Pat, is that your welcome to Oregon story?? With your allergy problems, are you having to wear a mask over you nose and mouth.  What is the news saying about the fire?  Our TV news showed the fire.  I know there a is a desert between Portland and the Pacific.  I wonder if that will affect how the fire travels?  Stay safe with your daughter!  Lots of 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏are coming your way!

When we lived in Austin, back in the 50's, sand storms would come roaring through and closing all your windows did not prevent the sand from coming in your house! You can imagine my surprise when we went to bed that night and found that the sands had just filtered through all our bedding, right down to the mattress!!! 

Bella, you do look beautiful but you would look so much better in a bright red OSU shirt.  After all, you do live in Ohio!!  Maybe someone in your family graduated from Michigan?

My granddaughter lives in Ann Arbor but she doesn't cheer for Michigan!  At least that's what she said last year when she and husband and three kids moved to Ann Arbor.  Her husband is a professor at MI and they are loving it there.  So, if they buy a house and become citizens of the area, i could end up having great grandkids who are graduates of MI!!  EGAD!!! 😍😍😍
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18228 on: September 06, 2017, 10:24:46 PM »
My post is ahead of Pat's!!! How did that happen??

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18229 on: September 07, 2017, 12:07:22 AM »
Annie, Oregon welcomed me a long time ago, and this is just a tiny bump in the process.  My move isn't going to be fast and efficient like yours.  This visit was to see if I had finally decontaminated my apartment from the paint smell I'm allergic to.  I had finally done so, and was able to sleep in it one night before the full pollution hit, with 3 pieces of furniture borrowed from daughters.  Now the serious work can begin.

Portland is in a fertile, relatively flat area.  To the west are first the Cascade mountains, where many of the fires are, and then the coast.  The desert is a fair distance to the east, too far for sand to get here.  The newest fire is in the Columbia River gorge, to the northeast of here, and I want to cry when I think of the beautiful hiking trails gone for good--so far 1000 acres destroyed.  Although Oregon has been given priority for borrowing help from neighboring states, there are far too few to fight all the fires.  Sad.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18230 on: September 07, 2017, 03:13:56 AM »
Pat all we have are photos and the news - the fires look frightening and I forgot - of course the smoke - oh oh - I know every Spring we get the smoke all the way from Central America when they slash and burn the new fields - and yes, the sun is blotted so you can look directly at it - and that is smoke from over a thousand miles away much less as close as you are experiencing - I can see possibilities for making breathing easier during the day but how in the world are you managing when you sleep -

I thought I was so smart to lesson the smoke filtering into the house I covered the windows taping from the wood trim around the window I covered them with the clear plastic that can be used to help insulate windows in the winter - well it helped some but that smoke gets into the attic seeping through the roof shingles and then of course down the air vents - there is just no winning.

Called my sister who lives on the outer banks of NC - she has a dog that is her security blanket and could not leave - checking for a room there were no places all the way to Raleigh that had any space that would accept her dog or a kennel where she could board her dog nearby and so she has decided to stay - of course I am worried but she has her plan and she did say if there was mandatory evacuation she would leave - so that much to be thankful.

It is getting down to counting the states that have not had the affects of a severe natural disaster.  I'm projecting I know but, I just wonder if there is a greater power that is by hook or by crook or rather, by fire or water going to have us pull together and help out each other after the year of vitriol that we have experienced that split us into a broken mess. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18231 on: September 07, 2017, 03:27:32 AM »
This from Corey Amaro says a lot and can be a template for many losses...

Right out of my hand it fell to the tiled floor, a hopeless fall, a miracle if any glass or pottery could survive a nose dive on to a tiled floor. The break was heard as pieces shattered right and left. The cup's fall triggered a memory in me, one of long ago...

Years ago at my boyfriend's funeral, I carried a platter back to someone's car I do not know how but it fell from my hands and shattered on the sidewalk. In a daze, I bent down to pick up the broken pieces some of the pieces were easy to pick up as they were big, others were less easy as they were jagged or too sharp, some pieces were small and others I could barely see but knew they were there somewhere.

Just as his death had shattered those who loved him... many of the memories we had where big and would always be able to be recalled and felt, others memories would hold the moment of his death and those would hurt to hold as much as the jagged pieces could, and then there were moments that at that time we knew because he was a part of our daily lives, but as time went on those daily moments would vanish without a trace, leaving us with pieces that could never be made whole.

bellamarie

« Reply #18232 on: September 07, 2017, 11:05:55 AM »
Oh Annie, I am giggling at your post, a true Buckeye you are.  Actually, I was born and raised in Michigan.  I tease my hubby all the time who was born and raised in Ohio, about how he couldn't find a good enough girl in Ohio to marry, so he had to come across the state line into Michigan to find me!  Can you only imagine what it has been like in our home for 46 years, when November comes around and the BIG game day arrives?  He and I have such a competitive streak in us, when it comes to our respective teams.  Our two sons are Michigan fans as well, and my hubby says it was not fair, I brainwashed them while he was at work when they were growing up.  I say, "You can take the girl out of Michigan, but you can not take Michigan out of the girl!"

Oh Pat, I am so very sorry to hear of the fires and ash in Oregon.  I saw them on the news in Montana.  I can only imagine what health issues residents will have down the road from breathing in that ash.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and all those effected by these fires.  We sure do have a lot going on in this world. 

Barb, Oh my I am also praying for your daughter.  Thank you for the tips, I will call my daughter today and pass them on.  This is interesting to read:

It is getting down to counting the states that have not had the affects of a severe natural disaster.  I'm projecting I know but, I just wonder if there is a greater power that is by hook or by crook or rather, by fire or water going to have us pull together and help out each other after the year of vitriol that we have experienced that split us into a broken mess.

Now let me share what I saw on Facebook yesterday with you:

The solar eclipse was on the 21st of Aug and Harvey hit land on the 25th and started flooding on the 26th. Now look up

Luke 21: 25-26. “And there will be strange signs in the sun, moon, and stars. And here on earth the nations will be in turmoil, perplexed by the roaring seas and strange tides. People will be terrified at what they see coming upon the earth, for the powers in the heavens will be shaken.”

Keep reading 27) "Then they will see the Son of Man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. 28) Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”

Harvey means "warrior or soldier."
Corpus Christi means "body of Christ" which is where Harvey made landfall.

Now we have category 5 hurricane Irma heading towards Florida and Puerto Rico.
Irma means " Warrior goddess or Goddess of War."

When you think of Biblical prophecy, there are signs everywhere!!

I responded to this with:

Luke 21:36     "But keep on the alert at all times, praying that you may have strength to escape all these things that are about to take place, and to stand before the Son of Man."

Sure gives us a lot to think about........

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18233 on: September 08, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
My gosh, Bellamarie, that's downright scary! And if you consider the whole world, its even more frightening!  There is the flooding in India, an earthquake in Mexico. An earthquake in N.Korea, Myanmar's problems of Muslims trying to escape to other countries to escape ????, it does seem that this old world is really in trouble!!

I have a niece in New Smyrna Beach who is just waiting out Irma. Can't believe it!!
But this morning, I see that Irma has been downgraded to a category 4 hurricane  so maybe my 
niece is hoping for another downgrade like the one Harvey had. OMG!!  So I spend my time 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏!  I'm watching CNN coverage from Miami and it's not a pretty picture!  According to the newsmen are saying leave now!!  All of Florida needs to leave the state! 

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18234 on: September 08, 2017, 12:40:29 PM »
I am in Sarasota, FL waiting for Irma to make up her mind.  Regardless, I am staying put.  I have a second floor condo with rooms with no windows.  I am not on the beach so I don't feel that I am in too much danger as long as my building holds together. so I'm probably as safe as I can be. Can anyone think of the perfect book to read during a hurricaine ?  I am also working on my Latin as my class starts Monday if I have internet access. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18235 on: September 08, 2017, 02:18:17 PM »
Looks like the storm is going up your way along the west coast - stay safe Karen - let us know how you come through

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...

Jonathan

« Reply #18237 on: September 08, 2017, 10:47:14 PM »
'Can anyone think of the perfect book to read during a hurricaine ?'

It's doubtful if you would find it suitable, Karen, but up here in Canada, safely out of harms way, I've found The Perfect Storm on my shelf, so I'm having a look at it. And it looks gripping. And of, course, Bella 's got a lot of us searching the Scriptures.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18238 on: September 09, 2017, 05:31:30 AM »

Curl up and read with us our Fall selection. The Warden starts in October

The more you get into this time in history and the Anglican Church of England the more fun. There is so much background history, traditions, change and just life's goings on during the time of the publication, 1855. Learning as much as we can will be an adventure that will help us pick out the dry humor of Trollop and will highlight the sublet differences between the characters. This read is not the cozy afternoon cup of tea - the story is more like a game of chess with each character having their traditional space in which to move while change is blowing strong - in this simply story there is a lot going on.

The Plan for our discussion - We begin The Warden pre-discussion on Monday, October 2:

October 2: Pre-Discussion with suggested Topics for Discussion
    October 9: Chapters 1-4
    October 16: Chapters 5-8
    October 23: Chapters 9-12
    October 30: Chapters 13-16
    November 6: Chapters 17-20
    November 11: Chapter 21 Finis

A link to the story will be in the heading however, if you are buying the book one of the better additions with background on the story and background on the author is the Oxford World's Classics addition - the Amazon Prime addition of the Oxford paperback edition is priced at $7.99

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18239 on: September 09, 2017, 09:54:53 AM »
Jonathan, as I watch the storm warnings, I will be searching for Bellamarie's post so I can see where I can read in scripture the predictions of the Rapture. Scary stuff!!!