Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1968222 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: The Library
« Reply #18720 on: January 24, 2018, 02:37:21 PM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7; the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18721 on: January 24, 2018, 02:37:59 PM »
Thanks for alerting us about Le Guin, Frybabe.  She had been getting awfully frail, but it's still a shock.  She lived in Portland, and I always hoped our paths would cross somewhere.

Barb, I haven't read it, but I think you might be surprised by Le Guin's book on writing.  She was a thoughtful and philosophical person, much inspired by Eastern philosophy.

Frybabe, I knew about the book about Lavinia, but haven't read it.  Let us know what it's like.

Frybabe

« Reply #18722 on: January 24, 2018, 04:45:49 PM »
Well, I guess, Pat, that means I have to go over to Overdrive and check into the PFL to put it on my wish list.

Hav is a light read so it shouldn't take long to read. I have no idea when I'll get Redemption Ark which I have on hold.

I will have to look see about the Edgar Allen Poe series. I don't recall seeing it on in the listings for our local PBS station, but maybe it will show up later or on Amazon Prime.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18723 on: January 25, 2018, 10:27:13 AM »
This morning's Washington Post had an excellent appreciation of Ursula K. Le Guin by Margaret Atwood:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/margaret-atwood-we-lost-ursula-le-guin-when-we-needed-her-most/2018/01/24/39372028-011b-11e8-bb03-722769454f82_story.html?hpid=hp_regional-hp-cards_rhp-card-arts%3Ahomepage%2Fcard&utm_term=.236eef3dbea3

We read the short story Atwood mentions, The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas, here a few years ago.  Here's a link to it:

https://www.utilitarianism.com/nu/omelas.pdf

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18724 on: January 25, 2018, 12:34:56 PM »
Thanks Pat and thanks for the link to Le Guin's book that was read here on Senior Learn.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18725 on: January 25, 2018, 12:36:53 PM »
Burns Night - the 258th birthday of Robert Burns

“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

bellamarie

« Reply #18726 on: January 25, 2018, 02:37:35 PM »
WOW!  That article by Margaret Atwood on Ursula K. Le Guin, seems a bit explosive.  Not knowing either of the women, nor have read either of their books, I surmised Atwood was inserting her own personal feminist feelings onto what she proposed Le Guin would feel as well.  Funny how you can like an actor/actress/celebrity/writer, etc., etc., by their work, and once you get to know them a little more on their politics and/or beliefs the ivory image shades. Not that it discredits their talents in any way. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18727 on: January 25, 2018, 10:18:12 PM »
Bellamarie, I think Atwood mostly gives an accurate description of the aspect of Le Guin's writing that appeals to her most, though I don't think Le Guin was in any sense an anarchist.  Atwood's description of Omelas, and its problem is accurate.  You can't read the short story without asking yourself the same questions.  But Atwood leaves out a lot--Le Guin's  awareness of the power of myth and legend, the need for balance and rightness in your thinking and actions, the Tao philosophy she was so familiar with, the anthropological background (both her parents were well known anthropologists) that enabled her to see how different cultures produce different mindsets, and a deeply moral approach to everything.

Funny how you can like an actor/actress/celebrity/writer, etc., etc., by their work, and once you get to know them a little more on their politics and/or beliefs the ivory image shades.

Alas, that's often true, but with Le Guin, as nearly as I can figure out, her writing accurately reflects who she was and what she really thought, nothing hidden, nothing changed.

bellamarie

« Reply #18728 on: January 26, 2018, 11:03:26 AM »
PatH.,  I like your description of Le Guin much better than Atwood's.  Atwood's personal feelings may have gotten in the way too much, which was a turn off for me not having read Le Guin.  Yours make her more interesting and approachable.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

Frybabe

« Reply #18729 on: January 26, 2018, 01:07:32 PM »
I agree, Pat, with your assessment of Atwood's article. I do not think that most of the qualities that she appears to attribute to anarchism are exclusive to that philosophy. Are we not striving, slowly, towards just those things she pointed to?  I would never have thought about anarchism when reading her books, but here is an interview from 2016 where she addresses questions about anarchism. In it she states that she herself is not an anarchist, but that some of her views are similar to the more peaceful anarchists. http://lithub.com/ursula-k-le-guin-on-racism-anarchy-and-hearing-her-characters-speak/

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18730 on: January 26, 2018, 04:28:07 PM »
Interesting that Le Guin sees Taoism as anarchy - I have and continue to study the Tao and have seen it as a personal philosophy rather than a community governess -

I do think we in time, as we mature, we realize our ethics and what we value as 'just' behavior was influenced by our education, experiences and religious affiliation. However, bottom line we think and feel and we each have our own moral compass therefore, our interior life is stateless.

I do not see the Tao suggesting an absence of a commonality, a common purpose or code of acceptable behavior that enables group living - most Taoist masters live isolated in caves and are not responsible to family or society - isolation is living a stateless existence - and yes, part of maturing from childhood dependence is developing our interior life as stateless but I do not see Taoism suggesting life is meaningless and a rejection of all religious and moral principles that go hand and glove describing anarchy.

Those who write about society as a mirror of our imbalanced behavior suggesting the alternative, balanced behavior is achievable only using mythology as its guide, I thought was a fantasy that gave a novel its wonder not a recipe for elevating peaceful anarchism much less suggesting that Taoism is a guide to peaceful anarchism.

Hmm why am I in reaction - I think it has to do with the story of a small group of Taoists, unusual in that most Taoist seek wisdom living as a reclue where as, this small band living in the Zhongnana Mountain range, as Taoists have for over Five thousand years were visited by a small group of 3 journalists and their film crew. Interviewing these hermits of all ages they could not supply answers to what they saw as answer-less questions. They were all awake before light, had eaten and finally with the day only started the Master repeatedly and softly said, they should make lunch - it became the mantra to all the questions until finally early-morning the group to the astonishment of the journalists started the process of making lunch.

Making lunch was a communal process that had been repeated day after day so that no direction or words were needed. Foods were gathered - dough was rolled out - pots of water were boiling - each had a job that they slowly, deliberately, and completely focused all their energy into doing the job - finally, even the Journalists pitched in - yes, that was the lesson - all that mattered in life was explained by making lunch, regardless of the time of day, with complete focus on doing well the task, gathering from nature what is needed for lunch and respecting as part of the community endeavor the agency of those who also prepare lunch - There was a leader - the Master, who repeated over and over that they prepare lunch and like in most families, the microcosm of society, the tasks were either chosen or assigned - we did not see the way the hermit group evolved -

However, not seeing that process it is easy to assume it was the outcome of peaceful anarchy - my take is it was the outcome of chaos - chaos is uncomfortable for most but is the prologue to growth where as, anarchy suggests the rejection of the known or unknown before growth and that is why I see stories elevating a community of balanced peaceful anarchists as fantasy - Rejecting the known or even the unknown can bring about direction where as, chaos, the unpredictable with all its uncertainties proceeds growth.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18731 on: January 27, 2018, 05:32:06 AM »
If you are able to link to a video on facebook this is awe inspiring showing the relationship between a young woman in centimeters to the edge of space and then backward into her interior body

https://www.facebook.com/physicsdashastronomy/videos/775915155943506/

bellamarie

« Reply #18732 on: January 28, 2018, 12:29:33 PM »
Barb, what a neat video..... sure puts things into perspective, we are but a grain of sand in the grand scheme of things.  But, every grain of sand together is significant in the universe.  Makes me think of how God said,

Just a bit of insight on this beautiful sunny, Sunday morning!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18733 on: January 28, 2018, 02:42:05 PM »
Evening everyone - and it's a wild one here in Edinburgh, the wind is battering the roof and earlier the rain was pouring down. I, however, am cosy inside and looking forward to Call the Midwife (second episode of new series) followed by Vera.

I have just ordered my copy of our new book from Amazon - the paperback was only £3.99 and as all the copies in our library system are out I decided just to go for it.  I noticed that although most of the reviews were very positive, a few people really didn't like it - so that should make for an interesting discussion!  I'm just finishing Claudine at School, so I'll be ready to start and I'll try to keep up (for once.)

Has anyone seen Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri? It's on at both of our independent cinemas just now and has had good reviews, so I wondered if anyone on here could tell me what they thought (before I fork out £10 for a ticket....)

Hope everyone is having a good weekend,

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18734 on: January 28, 2018, 04:45:29 PM »
No word on PBS here showing new episodes of Call the Midwife - looking forward but I bet Rosemary we do not see anything till at least late spring.

Wonderful - you too will be adding to our Winter book discussion A Gentleman from Moscow - my book arrived Thursday, earlier than expected but I have not cracked it - where you are in the middle of a winter blow here the sun is out and it is finally warming up - everyone seems to be out playing or running or doing something.

I think I will wait a bit before I tear into the garden - so much was killed off in the bitter cold and I noticed when the deer were in the yard yesterday they still have their dark coat so we are probably not finished with winter yet.

The movie has a great actress playing the part of the mother - have not heard too much buzz about the movie - with a couple of more school shootings this past week plus the content political turmoil and with government shut down still a possibility most folks are looking for a light or futuristic movie that is as far from reality as possible and so I will not be surprised if Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri does not get a big box office. 

Frybabe

« Reply #18735 on: January 29, 2018, 05:30:57 AM »
I noticed this morning that Amazon has a TV show listed called Britannia . The ratings were good, but the description of the episodes were somewhat unappealing to me. Has anyone seen this?

bellamarie

« Reply #18736 on: January 30, 2018, 10:27:31 AM »
Just got my Bronte Sisters book with four stories in one book in the mail!  I'm so excited! 
I began just the first chapter of A Gentleman In Moscow yesterday and am already hooked!  Can't wait for the discussion to begin. When will the pre discussion begin?

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18737 on: January 30, 2018, 10:36:04 AM »
The pre-discussion starts February 7.  As soon as I figure out a way to make the page look exciting, I will post the site.  I am so glad you are hooked.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18738 on: January 30, 2018, 12:25:33 PM »
Bellamarie, you've got a reading bonanza.  Of the Bronte books, my choice would be to read Jane Eyre first.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18739 on: January 30, 2018, 03:52:02 PM »
I am looking forward to it Mkaren - my book has arrived but I haven't started it yet. I so enjoyed your leading us through Cranford, I know this is going to be great!

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18740 on: January 30, 2018, 05:06:39 PM »
Yep agree - I think this will be a good one Karen -

Interesting how so many of the classic nineteenth century authors have their stories on film but there is nothing like reading the words and picking up all the nuances that a film story has to miss to keep our attention.

This week and next week I can remember for years and years being the dead time between holidays and before Spring with winter no longer bringing excitement or the adventure of finding ways to close up the house - I keep thinking I should be doing this or that till I realize - no - there is no emergency - if this or that is not done today it will not be the end of the world - I am anxious to dig in and do some clearing out and cleaning but feel too lethargic and it is still too cold for me - so this is the perfect time to get caught up on some of my reading pile.

I have started a couple but they are not grabbing me - I may keep starting books in my pile till something grabs - the title seemed like it was going to be good reads but the beginning so far is ehh The Story of Arthur Truluv: A Novel and also had great hopes for The Second Mrs. Hockaday: A Novel that so far reminds me of a combo Gone With the Wind and the comedy drama movie Something to Talk About with Julia Roberts and Dennis Quaid. Still have Doctorow's The March and The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan that I want to read.

Oh I just remembered - perfect - I downloaded 'free' Wild Whistling Blackbird the second of a Trilogy about the Whitlock Family during the 1860s in Iowa - it is a good read - Allen Kent knows how to grab you - yep, that is the start of my reading - it will get me in the mood...

Ok we know that the Bronte's are on top of Bellamarie's pile and several are impatient for A Gentleman from Moscow but what else is in your pile? Love to hear what folks are planning to read.

nlhome

« Reply #18741 on: January 30, 2018, 07:16:25 PM »
The Woman Who Smashed Codes by Jason Fagone

Dana

• ::
« Reply #18742 on: January 30, 2018, 08:28:25 PM »
well I am still reading Crime and Punishment....it has taken me so long because it is very hard to pick up as it is innately depressing  and also frustrating, because I can't understand why he's such an idiot.  having killed these people why doesn't he just take the money and get on with his life....I know this is not the right attitude but I  can't help feeling mad at him....and the abject poverty of everyone is just awful too...how horrible to live in these exquisitely described disgusting surroundings.....on the other hand once got into, it is gripping. The characters apart from Raskolnikov are marvellously described and each time I pick it up I think that I have got to read it all again....torture .... but I have forgotten bits due to my erratic reading  pattern......

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18743 on: January 30, 2018, 11:58:06 PM »
Dana I was sure I had a copy of Crime and Punishment around here - remember reading it years ago - could not lay my hands on it so I ordered one from Amazon - $4.11 prime delivery saying tomorrow but it is so late I bet Thursday or maybe even as late as Friday - I'll pop in with my thoughts and between us we may get something out of it - as I recall in his personal life he had lost all his money and got an advance from a publisher using the advance to get back home to Russia since he lost all his money gambling I think in Germany or maybe Austria - anyhow the story Crime and Punishment was supposed to be a composite of all his experiences in jail.

Frybabe

« Reply #18744 on: January 31, 2018, 06:10:04 AM »
I tried to read Crime and Punishment , maybe in my mid to late teens. As Dana says it is very depressing and dark. I couldn't get very far into it before I gave up. It was just too much for me to handle.

bellamarie

« Reply #18745 on: January 31, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »
When I first married my hubby back in 1971 I became an avid reader.  I finally had access to a public library within walking distance of our apartment.  Imagine growing up, living in a rural small town with NO books available to you.  The best I can describe my being able to finally read any book I wanted, would be like a small child going into a candy store and being told they could have all the candy in the store, just choose what you want.  So, now here I am years later, books galore and this great online book club to not only discuss books with, but to recommend so many great titles to explore!  I never imagined reading more than one book at the same time, until I learned many of you read multiple books, and the TBR pile I learned from you all, made my book purchasing even more exciting. Over the 20+ years I've been with SeniorLearn I have read books I would never in a million years have chosen on my own.  I have learned science, history, astrology, mythology, biology, psychology, anthropology, paleontology, and I am sure there are others that aren't coming to my mind just yet.  Through our discussions I feel like I have traveled from the present time back into space age, ice age, 18th, 19th century and the 20th and into the 21st century.  We've left no subject out of bounds including politics, religion, aging, evolution, cells,  and yes, even the mythological Gods and their treatment of females.  I guess what I am trying to say here, is that I am so very honored and privileged to be amongst the best and brightest, and I thank you all for sharing your time, talents, thoughts, and personal opinions throughout our times here.  Books take us on a journey, and I am glad to have you all as my travel mates.  Can't wait for us to travel to Moscow!  MKaren take your time, we're in no hurry, and thank you for leading this book.

Barb, your post sounds like you and I are sharing the same mood as we close out January.  I did finally take yesterday and do a full on cleaning of my upstairs, three bedrooms and a full bath.  Phew..... I was feeling my age when I finished that.  My hubby and I laugh and say we wait til a holiday to do a good cleaning since it's just him and myself.  Dust doesn't wait for holidays, it just collects every day no matter what.  I like your thinking....

I keep thinking I should be doing this or that till I realize - no - there is no emergency - if this or that is not done today it will not be the end of the world -

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18746 on: January 31, 2018, 11:46:46 AM »
I agree Bellamarie - I too am so happy that I found this group, I really can't imagine my life without it these days.

Your description of discovering the library reminded me so much of the scene in Matilda where she does exactly the same thing. And as Roald Dahl says - 'those books told Matilda a powerful thing. They told her she was not alone.'

As for cleaning, I do it as rarely as possible. You know what they say, who wants their headstone to read 'She kept a clean house'?

Sit back, pour the tea, cut the cake and open the book, that's what I say :-)

Rosemary

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18747 on: January 31, 2018, 11:57:55 AM »
There is guilt in my background; it involves the college courses I avoided because I was frightened.  All college math fits into that category.  Hand and hand with that are chemistry and physics.  There is one book that I wish I had read.  I know that I will never read this book (I have tried) unless I read it in a book club or even with a couple of others.  That book is  Moby Dick. Don't cringe.  I am not suggesting that we tackle this in our beloved book club.  But I thought it would be fun to know if there are books that others have avoided. Then it came to me that we night create a space for people to connect about a book they want to read and become reading partners, or a reading trio, or so on.  Now here is the funny part.  It is not impossible that my avoided book might be someone's favorite.  It seems to me that I have much to learn from that person.  Anyway, I am just curious to find out it there is another book avoider out there.   
You can tell that I am itching for the new discussion to start.  Let's warm up.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #18748 on: January 31, 2018, 11:58:48 AM »
that reminds me of-course of that lovely Scottish put down....."She keeps a dirty hoose......" (needs  to be said with the Scottish burr tho...)

yes, Dostoyevsky certainly knew about poverty first hand, also his portrait of an alcoholic is brilliant, altho I don't think he was one.  There's the consumptive woman as well, and the harlot with the heart of gold......it's just too much because it's so believable that it only sounds over the top when you're thinking about it.....

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18749 on: January 31, 2018, 02:34:00 PM »
Yes, I remember being afraid to tackle Joyce's Ulysses - till we read on SeniorNet A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man  Dissecting that with all the direct references to Catholic Culture taught me that piece by piece anything can to tackled - another that I read on my own, after the Joyce phase which included Ulysses, that I was concerned if I could handle was Pilgram's Progress. Reading that ended up being easy peasy.   

We read on SeniorNet Beowulf which I would not have tackled alone - with each classic read all reads become easier - one that I would like to tackle that I understand is a challenge is - The Recognitions by William Gaddis and the other that I have taken a step closer, no longer about fearing it but not sure I can see all the allegories, so I guess that is still a level of fear, is, The Faerie Queene by Edmund Spenser - If I could find a good annotation like the one for Barchester then tackling The Faerie Queene would be a go.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18750 on: January 31, 2018, 02:58:36 PM »
I had to read Beowulf at school aged 11 - had no idea what was going on, really should read it again. Similarly we had to read The Faerie Queen in first year at university, and again I had absolutely not a clue what Spenser was on about. Another one for the re-read pile. Even Dickens - one of the fixtures on our school reading lists - has only really made sense to me as an adult, and now he's one of my favourite authors. I so much enjoyed reading Great Expectations and Bleak House - 30 years after they were force fed to me for GCE syllabuses.

Moby Dick, however, is something I could not face. Anything to do with animals dying is just too much for me. I know that means I'm far too sentimental and silly, but I just don't want to put myself through it. Despite that, I think your idea is excellent Mkaren - little sub-groups of people who loved a particular book and those who were terrified of it. So if anyone's an expert on Beowulf or The Faerie Queen, count me in - and I'm sure there are many others that I've been avoiding all these years. I'll have a think.

Rosemary

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18751 on: January 31, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
I did a workshop a few years ago on combining history and literature.  We read what was the new translation of Beowulf by Seamus Heaney.  It was just wonderful, nothing like the experience I had as a senior in high school.  Funny, I just bought a copy of Ulysses.  I tried.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18752 on: January 31, 2018, 03:35:33 PM »
Rosemary In Moby Dick it is not the whale that dies but the whale is the victor dragging Captain Ahab to his death.  So you would be safe reading it -  :-*

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18753 on: January 31, 2018, 03:41:01 PM »
Karen Joyce's Ulysses reads like a bawdy tour of nothingness and yet, when you get past the elevation we give to Homar's Ulysses just because it is ancient Greek literature, breaking it down it is, by today's standards a bawdy tour of nothingness. Lots of great bits of wisdom hidden within the story and the verbiage and in that both authors show their skill.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18754 on: January 31, 2018, 03:41:39 PM »
Seamus Heany read his Beowulf on Radio 4 before he died. I should've listened to it - I wonder if they still have it on i-player?  I have heard that his translation is wonderful. I have never finished a James Joyce book, though I'd like to. At university I was taught by a Joyce specialist, who later became a well known 'media academic', frequently appearing on arts shows. Even he hadn't managed to finish Finnegan's Wake.

I think it's so important to understand things in context, so a history and literature course must have been great. At school I really had no concept of things being interrelated. History was history (also with absolutely no concept of what was going on in other parts of the world at the same time), English was English - novels in splendid isolation. no explanation of the world as it was when they were written/set, religious education was a class to mess about in - only later did I realise how lilttle I knew about the Bible, the Prayer Book, etc, and how fundamental an understanding of both was to the reading of so much literature and poetry.

I am thinking of taking another Open University course soon, though i wouldn't take creative writing again. I think I'd most like to take history or some sort of religious studies; I am woefully ignorant of both.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18755 on: January 31, 2018, 03:45:05 PM »
Rosemary that was the translation we used when we discussed it on SeniorNet - here is the link to the discussion that was archieved on this site

http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/fiction/Beowulf.html

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18756 on: January 31, 2018, 03:46:30 PM »
Gosh Barb - all these years and I never knew that! I always just assume animals in books will meet a sad end. I only recently discovered that Black Beauty doesn't die. And much as I love his books, I don't think I'll ever forgive Patrick Ness for what he did to Manchee....I really didn't see that coming.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18757 on: January 31, 2018, 03:47:01 PM »
And thanks for the link Barb - we are typing at the same time!

R

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18758 on: January 31, 2018, 03:48:34 PM »
Re what Bellamarie was saying about the joys of this group, I wondered if anyone had ever thought about having another meet up? i know you had one in New York before I joined. I just feel I know so many of you so well, it seems a shame never to have met face to face.  Any ideas anyone?

Rosemary

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18759 on: January 31, 2018, 07:55:09 PM »
Wow--such potent topics; books you couldn't make yourself read, books people either love or hate, including two I feel strongly about.

There are many books I've tried to read and failed, including every Russian novel I've ever started except War and Peace, which I read eagerly.  I can read Russian science fiction, though.  I've tried repeatedly to read Proust, and always bogged down very soon.  Sometimes I try to read a book a few times and can't, then when the time is ripe, or I've matured more, the book clicks and I read it with pleasure.  (I'm not going back to Proust, though.)

Two that I love and that can bore people to death are Beowulf and Moby-Dick.