Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1960930 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #17960 on: March 25, 2017, 04:51:40 PM »
Tomreader you book sounds really intriguing.  I may have to check that out.   

MKaren I was just on Amazon trying to find the series thank so much!
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17961 on: March 25, 2017, 09:39:20 PM »
The Hidden Figures discussion will start April 1 (not fooling).  The pre-discussion is now out.  Come in and get started

HERE

Jonathan

« Reply #17962 on: March 26, 2017, 04:14:00 PM »
Thanks, Jean, on behalf of mankind, for the reassurance. Not that I needed it. I'm convinced that the vast majority of ardent feminists would wish all men to enjoy a life of liberty. And yet, we are living in a revolutionary time of so many gender uncertainties. I've studied revolutions and know that often they come with a reign of terror. It must be the national newspaper that I read that leaves me uncomfortable. It's a daily crusade to convince the readers that women are being denied their day in court. Totally unrealistic. And yet. So I found myself wondering if reeducation would be an alternative. Convince the men that there is a new life to be discovered in the desert, or on Mt. Athos. And permit women to wear whatever's comfortable.

I'm lucky. I have two very talented, assertive granddaughters. I feel my freedom is assured. They took me to the Saturday afternoon movie yesterday. Hidden Figures. So many beautiful minds! A wondeful movie. The book? Well, it's both more and less than the movie. Both are inspiring.

bellamarie

« Reply #17963 on: March 26, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »
Jonathan, I am thinking of going to see Hidden Figures tomorrow at our local theater.  I am looking forward to the discussion, I have not yet read the book. 

Jonathan I am struggling along with you with all the gender identities going on in the world.  I am a strong woman who believes in equality, with saying that I do NOT agree with all the protests going on such as the Woman's March where they dressed in pink women's private parts  on their heads and walked around screaming obscenities and leaving their signs and mess behind for someone else to clean up after them.  That was hugely funded by none other than one man who convinced them this type of behavior would get attention.  Ashley Judd standing up and using highly insulting language, nasty comments and bashing men only seemed to make highly intelligent women denounce anything remotely to do with the event.  Being a strong intelligent woman entails knowing when you are being used by a man to accomplish his goals, while he tricks you into thinking you are achieving something for women.  I have no doubt your freedom is assured, and good for your two granddaughters for taking you to the movies with them to watch Hidden Figures.  That is the key to living a cohesive life, respecting others for all their differences and in spite of them.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

bellamarie

« Reply #17964 on: March 30, 2017, 01:47:26 PM »
I just saw a book advertised on my Facebook page which looks very interesting, it's called Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly.  Have any of you read this book?  It says if you liked The Nightingale or All The Light We Cannot See you will like this one.  Here is a link to tell you a bit about the book and the author. 

http://www.marthahallkelly.com/lilac-girls/?ref=PRH7CACD59BB4&aid=randohouseinc36731-20&linkid=PRH7CACD59BB4&utm_source=Random_House_Group&utm_medium=Social_Media&utm_content=&utm_term=&utm_campaign=Kelly_Lilac_Girls_9781101883082_Social_Facebook

It sounds like a perfect discussion book in the future.

Tomereader1

« Reply #17965 on: March 30, 2017, 02:52:11 PM »
I read "Lilac Girls", but was slightly disappointed.  I guess I just expected "more" since the comparison to "All the Light We Cannot See".  I think many on this board will like it, so just take my comments with a grain of salt. 
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

Dana

• ::
« Reply #17966 on: March 31, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »
I have been reading a  super book ....Killer Angels by Michael Shaara...it's about Gettysburg, and I would not have known about it except my husb. found this movie Gettysburg, which is well worth watching, and Martin Sheene's portrayal of Robert E.  Lee is outstanding, and led me to the book on which the movie is based.  As a new (relatively) American, I think every new American should see the movie and read the book.  We are so blinded by the spin of our time that perhaps we do not appreciate the reality of the past. We need to keep open minds to  different interpretations of the past.  The movie is totally authentic to the book, and Martin Sheene  portrays  Robert E. Lee as portrayed in the book.  I just hope it is correct enough, because he seems to have been a really admirable man.  The book won a Pulitzer prize and high praise.....so.....can we accept it is quite authentic...or not?   

Frybabe

« Reply #17967 on: April 01, 2017, 07:57:09 AM »
Amazon is opening more brick and mortar stores. http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/73183-every-amazon-books-location-mapped.html?utm_source=Publishers+Weekly&utm_campaign=9bdfa8d03f-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_03_31&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0bb2959cbb-9bdfa8d03f-304806741 Interesting. I think I would have preferred some of the bookstores, like Borders, that went out of business because of competition from Amazon other online and e-book sellers. Now the tide appears to be turning back toward physical stores. The article points out Amazon's reliance (and therefore, the exposure that authors get) on reviews of books they will stock. It is no wonder that I see so many authors requesting readers to post reviews.

bellamarie

« Reply #17968 on: April 01, 2017, 09:11:31 PM »
Frybabe, yes it it vital that author's get people to post reviews at the Amazon site.  I have a friend who wrote a children's book and had it published through Tate publishing.  The company was dishonest and has lawsuits against them.  Her book was on Amazon and she has requested for it to be taken down and they refuse to do so.  They know this publishing company has gone under.  I love book stores and libraries and would rather help local small book stores vs large ones like Books A Million, although I do love Barnes and Noble.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #17969 on: April 08, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
This "Microsoft Warning" thing that pops up on your computer and starts talking to you and saying that you have a virus and that you need to call their number is a hoax, shut down the browser and don't call the number, it's something on the website you went to. Some of our Latin students have been dealing with it. Run a good malware program and be sure there's nothing on your computer, also.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17970 on: April 12, 2017, 06:53:26 PM »
I've just seen on the evening news that Oprah Winfrey is doing an HBO movie about Henrietta Lacks!  Hooray!!!
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #17971 on: April 13, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
Oh maryz this is fantastic news!!!  Thank you for sharing it. 

Frybabe

« Reply #17972 on: April 15, 2017, 10:07:06 AM »
I just started a book that has grabbed me from the first word - Wales. Charlie Lovett's The Bookman's Tale: A Novel of Obsession begins with a grieving book antiquarian with a mystery to solve. I am going to find it hard to put down.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17973 on: April 15, 2017, 10:57:31 AM »
Frybabe, that title just grabs me!  I will look in my library and at Overdrive. 
Happy Easter!🙏❤🤓
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

bellamarie

« Reply #17974 on: April 18, 2017, 12:58:32 AM »
Just watched The Talk show I had on my DVR. Oprah Winfrey was on for the entire hour.  She was talking about how she lived in Baltimore and had never heard of Henrietta Lacks and her story about the living cells.  She will be playing the daughter Debra in the movie which will be on HBO this Saturday.  I loved Debra in the book and think Oprah will do a fantastic job playing her.  Oprah said it's the hardest roles she has ever played out of the five movies she has starred in.  Oprah read the book five years ago and is so excited about making it into a movie.  I can't wait to see this movie! 

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17975 on: April 18, 2017, 08:36:53 AM »
I don't get HBO, so I'm hoping there'll be some other way for me to find it.
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

bellamarie

« Reply #17976 on: April 18, 2017, 09:57:31 AM »
maryz I don't have HBO either but I am going to call Direct TV and order it so I can watch this movie then cancel it.  I think they offer a free subscription.

It seems the family is divided on how they feel about the book and movie.  The eldest son executor of the estate feels they are still taking advantage of their family while other family members are on board with the movie.  Here are a few articles I found.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/news/2017/03/20/atlanta-filmed-henrietta-lacks-movie-protested-by.html
http://www.baltimoresun.com/health/bs-hs-henrietta-lacks-family-feud-20170321-story.html

Here is the trailer to the movie.  It is chilling watching Debra come to life on screen.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2017/03/15/hbo-releases-trailer-for-henrietta-lacks-movie/

Here is the link for the times the movie will be on.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS722US722&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=henrietta+lacks+movie

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17977 on: April 18, 2017, 10:52:26 AM »
Good idea, bellamarie. I think I'll do that, too, and record it.  Thanks! 

bellamarie

« Reply #17978 on: April 21, 2017, 12:45:03 PM »
maryz I just got an email yesterday that HBO is FREE this week end Fri - Sun.  I turned to channel 501 (my Direct TV station) and sure enough it is free and I am taping Henrietta Lacks movie.  Call your provider if it's not Direct TV and ask for the free offer for this week end.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17979 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:51 PM »
Thanks, bellamarie.  I have cable service through Comcast/Xfinity.  I'll check the web site, too.

Frybabe

« Reply #17980 on: April 22, 2017, 05:35:39 AM »
I got HBO free as part of my bundle package, but I rarely watch anything on it.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17981 on: April 22, 2017, 09:07:37 AM »
Comcast is not offering a free weekend, so I guess I'll sign up and then cancel.   :'(

bellamarie

« Reply #17982 on: April 22, 2017, 10:00:21 AM »
Maryz lots of my friends have different providers and are getting the free HBO weekend. 

Frybabe, I don't even have HBO in my package deal because I never watch it but this is a free week end offer and I am so glad because I want to tape this movie so my grandson can watch it with me.  He is 8 yrs old, diagnosed on the Autism spectrum a few tears ago and has the intelligence level of a sixth grader.  He reads all the books about famous people and heard me mention Henrietta Lacks and wanted to know all about her.  We had the cutest conversation, I was telling him how they used Henrietta's cells after she died without permission and he said, "Oh Nonnie I'm sure she would have given her permission because she would have wanted to save others lives."  I said, "Yes Zak, I think she would have said yes."  Zak replied, "She should be made a Saint for her dells doing so much to help medicine and millions of people with diseases."  Oh how I love the way he thinks. 

Tomereader1

« Reply #17983 on: April 22, 2017, 01:31:20 PM »
Your grandson, Zak, is wise beyond his years, despite being on the spectrum.  I can't think of any 8 yr. old who would have made those beautiful connections about Henrietta's cells.  You are blessed!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

bellamarie

« Reply #17984 on: April 22, 2017, 10:21:55 PM »
Thank you Tomreader, I think he is pretty wise beyond his years as well.

Just finished watching the movie and Oprah Winfrey did an excellent job playing Debra.  I think every single character cast did an excellent job as well.  I see some made for tv movie awards for this movie.

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #17985 on: April 23, 2017, 08:40:16 AM »
I have the movie recorded and will watch it soon.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17986 on: April 25, 2017, 12:28:01 PM »
I'm reading a fun book, The Bookstore on the Corner. A librarian in England laid-off because of budget cuts is dismayed at the books bound for the trash because of closing libraries. She collects books from several closing libraries and ends up buying a van and taking a mobile bookstore into Scotland where libraries and bookstores have closed. Great idea, good read.

Jean

Frybabe

« Reply #17987 on: April 25, 2017, 02:39:41 PM »
Oh, I just saw that title in one of my newsletters, but didn't take the time to check it out. Sounds interesting.

It kind of reminds me of the 1917 novel, Parnassus on Wheels by Christopher Morley which was about a traveling bookseller (for the most part, also a woman) and set the US. It was Morley's first novel and The Haunted Bookshop was its sequel. Parnassus on Wheels was inspired by David Grayson's novel, The Friendly Road: New Adventures in Contentment (1913) according to Wikipedia.

Morley is another native Pennsylvanian. He moved around a bit, including a stint in England as a Rhodes Scholar, came back to PA for a bit and then finally settled in Roslyn Estates , NY, where he died and was buried in 1957. Ah, hah, he was the one that wrote Kitty Foyle. Does anyone remember that movie?

Frybabe

« Reply #17988 on: April 25, 2017, 02:49:20 PM »
I've finally got around to borrowing Carlos Ruiz Zafon's second of his The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series which began with Shadow of the Wind. This one is called The Angel's Game. Zafon now has four books in the series.

bellamarie

« Reply #17989 on: April 25, 2017, 03:02:48 PM »
Jean, it sounds like a book I might like.  I am reading Here's To Us by Elin Hilderbrand . 

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17990 on: April 25, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »
Frybabe, I remember Kitty Foyle and the star in it was ????????! I can her face but can't remember her name. Do I remember reading an article about her being a genius and did something pertaining to WWII? I will google that item. Back soon!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

Tomereader1

« Reply #17991 on: April 25, 2017, 03:47:43 PM »
The genius with WWII scientific stuff was Hedy Lamar.  I don't personally know if she was in Kitty Foyle.  There is a non fiction book about Lamar.

André Maurois

Tomereader1

« Reply #17992 on: April 25, 2017, 03:49:02 PM »
Looked it up and Ginger Rogers was in the 1940 movie, Kitty Foyle.

André Maurois

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #17993 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »
Thanks for cottrrcting my memory, Tomereader1!  And yes I was thinking of Hedy Lamar🤓❤ as the genius.   It was Ginger Rogers in Kitty Foyle and she looked nothing like Hedy. 🤓❤!

You know, I always liked Hedy Lamar.  Think I will go see her movie list.

mabel1015j

Frybabe

« Reply #17995 on: April 27, 2017, 02:38:51 PM »
Does anyone know how Barb is doing? I haven't seen her post for a little over a month.

bellamarie

« Reply #17996 on: April 27, 2017, 02:50:36 PM »
Frybabe, I have been in contact with Barb.  She is busy catching up with doing things around her house since she is not able to read or do the computer as much due to eye issues.  I truly miss her presence in our book discussions. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #17997 on: April 27, 2017, 03:06:40 PM »
I miss her too.  She always has an interesting approach.

Frybabe

« Reply #17998 on: April 27, 2017, 04:23:23 PM »
I was afraid she still had her eye problems.

mabel1015j

« Reply #17999 on: April 27, 2017, 05:40:29 PM »
Good thoughts to Barb. Eye problems are no fun, and very annoying.

I ran into this book review today as I revise my "Women Scientists" presentation for next week. I originally formulated this one about a year ago before I heard about the NASA women, so I'm revamping the narrative and the powerpoint. I'm sure there will be others, if they have any different information, I'll pass them along

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/hidden-figures-the-true-story-of-the-black-women-at-nasa-daring-fearlessly-to-pursue-their-dreams/

Jean