Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1961122 times)

PatH

• BooksDL
Re: The Library
« Reply #18320 on: October 31, 2017, 11:56:10 AM »

The Library
Our library cafe is open 24/7; the welcome mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18321 on: October 31, 2017, 11:57:16 AM »
Frybabe, that's quite a reading list, if the ones I haven't read are as good as the ones I have.  I'll dig in.

Frybabe

« Reply #18322 on: November 03, 2017, 06:58:10 AM »
Here is a list of only four Western themed novels. Too bad the editor did not list more, including Owen Wister's, The Virginian. http://manybooks.net/articles/four-free-western-ebooks

I've read only one of Max Brand's books (Alcatraz), back when I was a teen, and liked it very much. For some reason or another, I never read any of his others. I think I will rectify that soon.

Perhaps the book discussion leaders might consider doing a Western in the future. The last one I remember we did was the non-fiction Empire of the Summer Moon which I enjoyed immensely.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18323 on: November 03, 2017, 12:23:36 PM »
I should try some of the good westerns.  There isn't any good reason I haven't read any, just I got hooked on sci-fi and mystery first, and never branched out.  Maybe I'll check out Riders of the Purple Sage.

We talked about doing The Virginian once, but it didn't get enough votes.  I read it once as a child and again as an adult, liked it a lot.

Frybabe

« Reply #18324 on: November 03, 2017, 05:24:08 PM »
I enjoyed reading Riders of the Purple Sage, as I did The Virginian. I just checked my current TBR Westerns folder. I have several Zane Grey books, Max Brand's Alcatraz and Wister's The Virginian to reread, Robert Conley's The Gunfighter, several by Ralph Conner, O. Henry's Heart of the West, several by William MacLeod Raine and James Oliver Curwood, Andre Norton's Rebel Spurs, and a few others. I thought I had several by a Canadian author about the Canadian Rockies, but I don't see them now. I probably have a few others in other folders, like Jack London, whose White Fang I don't remember ever reading and The Call of the Wild for a reread, which are in my Classic Lit. folder.

I've added another book to my current reading. It is Bomber Girls by M. J. Foreman. So far, I am liking it.

Trivia time. Which country holds the honor of having the first female military and combat fighter pilot in the world? 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18325 on: November 03, 2017, 05:44:27 PM »
Oh but you MUST include both McMurtry and Cormac in your library of western writers - there are many who suggest Cormac McCarthy is the best writer of the 20th century - not just western writer but writer period.

You may want to add Bill Crider – his Outrage at Blanco and Texas Vigilante, back to back is a treat.
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #18326 on: November 04, 2017, 05:41:55 AM »
Thanks Barb. I am checking out their books now.

Interesting to note that McMurty owned a used bookstore (one he and two others started in DC and one in Archer City,TX). Did you ever visit the one in Archer City? Wikipedia claims it is one of the largest used bookstores in the US. I don't recall running across Booked Up in my used book searches. McMurty wrote some non-fiction I might be interested in reading. Never saw the Lonesome Dove TV series, but the books may be interesting to read, probably much better that the TV, even though I like Robert Duvall.

Are you talking about Cormac McCarthy? I thought about reading him, but his books seemed a bit too dark and violent for me. I don't believe I've seen any of the movie adaptations either.

I never heard of Bill Crider. He seems to concentrate on murder mysteries. Some of his titles sound enticing. Examples are the last two published of his Sheriff Dan Rhodes series, Survivors Will Be Shot Again (St. Martin's Press, August, 2016) and
Dead, To Begin With (St. Martin's Press, August 2017) I am going to see if the library has any of his books. Holy cow! My library has lists 38 of his books (some are co-authored).

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18327 on: November 04, 2017, 01:16:03 PM »
Bill Crider's last few books are filled with humor - it may be that it is Texas humor - typical it tends to be dry and droll or over the top.

All the Pretty Horses is a Cormac movie - well done and of course being a movie is not quite as explicit as the book - yes, he is a tough read but one of the great writers.

Never have driven up to Archer City - its about a 4 and half hour trip up located near Wichita Falls with the end point being Archer City - to combine it as an overnight and do more than see a bookstore means coming back down to Fort Worth and then without really driving out of your way it means coming back in the nightmare of traffic on I35 from Fort Worth/Dallas straight down.

I35 it hits Waco, Austin, San Antonio, Laredo where as, if you just drive to Archer City we can travel west of Austin and pick up 281 which is a typical Texas road. Our roads are more like highways in most states. Little traffic and the speed limit is 75 with no one driving any slower than 85 so you can make it under the 4 and a half hours. The problem is coming back at night when deer cross the roads or cattle find a fence break and wander onto the road. Driving a pickup with a cattle guard is the only protection that I do not have.

If you google Archer City and then place the little yellow man on one of the streets than using your curser follow the streets you will see there is nothing in Archer City - nothing - a wide place in the road on the high plains with some houses clustered on a few streets breaking the wind.  For me I'm not sure it is on my Bucket list any longer.  :-\
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18328 on: November 05, 2017, 03:24:42 PM »
BARNFIRE NIGHT
Remember, remember, the fifth of November
The Gunpowder treason and plot;
I know of no reason
Why the Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!
Guy Fawkes and his companions
Did the scheme contrive,
To blow the King and Parliament
All up alive.
Threescore barrels, laid below,
To prove old England’s overthrow.

On the 5th November 1605 Guy Fawkes was caught in the cellars of the Houses of Parliament with several dozen barrels of gunpowder……

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18329 on: November 05, 2017, 06:03:13 PM »
Guy Fawkes day features in many British mystery stories. It's celebrated with big bonfires where images of Guy is burned in effigy. It's a bit like our holloweeen, I guess

mabel1015j

« Reply #18330 on: November 08, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18331 on: November 08, 2017, 02:47:58 PM »
Has anyone pulled out yet their Holiday books - seems this year so many are burying themselves early in traditions, color and sounds of the holidays because they have had it with the vitriol on the news.

I've decided to pull out my books and my Cds - I really want something familiar and comforting.

Frybabe

« Reply #18332 on: November 09, 2017, 05:05:40 AM »
Here is a little volume I found in Project Gutenberg this morning about Kew Gardens. It contains numerous paintings and a history of the gardens. Unfortunately, when I downloaded the Kindle version I got a volume on the West Indies instead. Someone at Gutenberg goofed there. So, I am linking the online version for those who care to take a look. http://www.gutenberg.org/files/55899/55899-h/55899-h.htm

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18334 on: November 09, 2017, 05:49:38 PM »
Mean one of your links led me to a course on the nature of physical laws that I am really enjoying. Thanks
a

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18335 on: November 12, 2017, 02:34:36 PM »
Love this...

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #18336 on: November 12, 2017, 06:05:06 PM »
I love it too!

bellamarie

« Reply #18337 on: November 12, 2017, 11:25:46 PM »
I love it Barb!  I think I am at stage 5, close to stage 6. 
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18338 on: November 17, 2017, 11:58:25 PM »

Jill Barklem, creator of Brambly Hedge, passed away peacefully on the 15th November 2017.

I loved her stories and Illustrations - have them in the small book version and the original large book of the Four Seasons at Brambly Hedge

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18339 on: November 18, 2017, 07:08:02 AM »
I recognize the drawings but have no idea why.  Know nothing about the author!
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18340 on: November 18, 2017, 07:27:21 AM »
I keep forgetting to mention that I read “A Gentleman in Moscow” by Amor Towles. Someone suggested it a few months ago.  Can’t remember who but it’s a fun book to read. I think I will look for his book “Rules of  Civility”.
"No distance of place or lapse of time can lessen the friendship of those who are thoroughly persuaded of each other's worth." Robert Southey

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18341 on: November 18, 2017, 12:53:07 PM »
My sister read it and has been after me to also read it... now you saying you enjoyed it, I need to move it up on my TBR list.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18342 on: November 18, 2017, 09:36:21 PM »
It was Karen who suggested it for a discussion, but it was too hard to get hold of--huge library waiting lines--so we didn't.

Frybabe

« Reply #18343 on: November 19, 2017, 06:19:05 AM »
I checked my library and it has about 10 copies of A Gentleman in Moscow, all of which are out at the moment with one hold. Looks interesting.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18344 on: November 19, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
Yes, it does.  If we could find a sweet spot when the book is easy to get but we haven't all already read it, we could still discuss it.

ANNIE

• BooksDL
  • Downtown Gahanna
    • SeniorLearn
« Reply #18345 on: November 19, 2017, 11:03:17 AM »
I got a large print copy of it at my library. It was just sitting there on the shelf.  Why don’t you all try requesting it in large print? Do it all the time myself.  The waits are always shorter. Ella and I did it all the time! Having said all that, I  must confess my copy is overdue and I can’t renew it because so many holds are on it! Ugh 😑! I will ask when I return it on the 21st.

nlhome

« Reply #18346 on: November 20, 2017, 05:15:40 PM »
Our public radio has "Chapter a Day" every week day, and A Gentleman in Moscow is the book being read this last month. I can't listen every day, but it's been good. I will have to get the book later, to fill in the spots.

Frybabe

« Reply #18347 on: November 20, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Nlhome, I looked up Chapter a Day and found that Wisconsin Public has it online. I've linked the book to the beginning for the first two episodes, click next for the rest so far. https://www.wpr.org/programs/archives/chapter-a-day/2017-10 October's selection looks good too. I've bookmarked the site for later.

bellamarie

« Reply #18348 on: November 20, 2017, 10:54:50 PM »
I'm reading the third book in a series by Robin Holstein.  She is a friend of mine who has written about her life and spiritual journey.  I think she will be adding one more book to this particular series.  It is amazing how she has had so many struggles to overcome in her life, some of her own making, others that were out of her control.  Her resolve to never give in, or give up, is incredible. 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18349 on: November 21, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »
What interesting posts here! I have two students at Osher at Furman who have written books as well, and they are both very interesting topics (anthropology and being a drill sergeant in the Vietnam era), also.

One thing the drill sergeant told me was that Amazon does a print on demand sort of thing, you order it online to read and they print it, and I think that sounds like an idea whose time has long come.

Bellamarie, it's your turn: your friend has written books,  write that book you have wanted to write all these years.  And we'll discuss it!

I'm glad to be back among the readers, as that's what I'm sinking into now in our (short) Thanksgiving Break and it's so much fun. I did  look in from time to time at the wonderful Barchester Book Club discussion, and the quotes that some of you put in there, Bellamarie in  particular, from the book,  stole my heart. That's the kind of writing I love, and crave, but only  this time of year:  Dickensian, and I hope to get to read at least one of the books over the holidays. I have had a volume supposedly of all of them for a long time.

And I loved the care that Barbara took with that discussion, the illustrations, particularly. And the conversation of all the participants.

I do  have A Gentleman in Moscow at Karen's recommendation,  and have  heard nothing but good about it, it sounds like it would be a great book to read in the Winter, thank you for reminding us of it, Ann and Pat.

I started Pachinko, which was a National Book Award finalist and was immediately swept up in it, it's a saga, very very Good Earth like about an immigrant from Korea struggling under Japanese rule. Lots of history there... it's beyond my ability to describe it coherently but it has literally page after page after page of glowing reviews, and it deserves every one of them.

A powerful book to lose the world and yourself in, and not come back out. 500 pages in paperback.  The opening page is an endorsement by Caroline Kennedy introducing  the author at some  literary festival, saying that the character in the book was so unforgettable she came hoping somehow to meet him there. A triumph, it really is, so far. Totally unforgettable. It's actually hard to wrench yourself out of its spell. Paperback just out in November 2017. But I've just started it and don't know what's ahead.

The NY Times Sunday had an article in its Book Review on the huge numbers of senior citizens driving across this country in all sorts of cars and vehicles and why. It's called Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st century, by Jessica Bruder.  I was really struck by the premise, the seniors who have lost their savings through one circumstance or another, driving to this or that 9 dollar an hour job opportunity,  and staying in little colonies of like people all over the country.  I had no idea. None.  I've got to read more, it's sort of a Nickel and Dimed book but about people over 60.

That book review is full of great books this time, the one called An Odyssey, where a father and son meet in an unlikely class and take a journey together, in real life, is  a wonderful book for a father or son to read.

And then there's an article there on  the production of the Branaugh movie  Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

Have any of you seen the movie? It's a photographic wonder, it really is.  I'm going to have to read the book again, apparently I had forgotten everything I ever knew about it. :)

So Nomadland and the new Tina Brown Vanity Fair's diaries are definitely on my Wish List for the holidays.

What's on yours?  I have a feeling I have missed a lot of good ones, and this is a great place to come and find out what everybody is reading.

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18350 on: November 21, 2017, 12:13:50 PM »
Oh for Pete's sake! I came in here to say something and completely forgot!

bellamarie

« Reply #18351 on: November 21, 2017, 02:38:25 PM »
As for my wish list, I have been keeping my eye on Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly.  Has anyone gotten a chance to read it?  It does look like it would be a good one for a discussion in the future.

Ginny, So glad to see you back!  As always, I love all your suggestions.  I have not seen Murder on the Orient Express yet, but I intend to.  I also want to see the new movie out called Wonder with Julia Roberts, about a little boy who is born with a deformed face, and how he is bullied in mainstream school.  I hear you have to bring a box of tissues with you.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18352 on: November 21, 2017, 06:05:16 PM »
After thoroughly enjoying our excursion with Trollop into Victoria found a copy of Christmas at Thompson Hall: And Other Christmas Stories - so far hilarious - the book arrived and standing in the garage removing the packaging for the recycle bin I started to read - I stood there for over a half hour just glued - it is a riot so far -

An older couple, who lives in the South of France are going back to England for Christmas much to the husband's chagrin - he is not feeling well and in their overnight stay before crossing the channel she scours the hotel under floors and the hallways looking for a pot of mustard to make a mustard plaster for his throat -

With lots of Trollop's laughs along the way she finally procures her mustard and is directed by one of the staff back to the wrong room - dark, the man is asleep and she applies the mustard plaster - he does not wake up but she realizes and backs out with her inner dialogue of worst things can happen than the heat of a mustard plaster - the whole thing is a romp -

She is back in her room and husband is awake - it is 2: and they are supposed to leave for the ferry by 4:30- now she sees it is imperative they go on since northern France is noted for its wet, damp winter with very, very small fireplaces compared to the roaring fires in the large fireplaces of an English Hall, with a snowbound winter rather than rain - we shall see what we shall see  :D  ;D  ;)

bellamarie

« Reply #18353 on: November 22, 2017, 02:50:48 PM »
Barb, it sounds wonderful and I just ordered a used copy in perfect condition of $1.99 plus $3.99 shipping for the hardcover!  Can't wait to get it!!

bellamarie

« Reply #18354 on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:27 PM »

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18355 on: November 23, 2017, 11:12:43 AM »
lovely - thank you...

ginny

• Administrator
« Reply #18356 on: November 24, 2017, 09:22:26 PM »
Barbara, I just wanted to say that I couldn't resist your description of Christmas at Thompson Hall and got one today from Amazon and a prettier package of a book you'd be hard pressed to find.  I think (it's a small book at least the one I have is) and it's just so beautifully presented,   you know when you open it (which I just did) it's going to be a delight.

LOVE books like this, that somebody cared enough to make beautiful. I see it's a Penguin and I understand why, now. Can't wait to get into it but it's a pleasure just to unwrap from the package, just wanted to say thanks for the recommendation, I had never heard of it.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18357 on: November 25, 2017, 01:49:25 PM »
Hi everyone :)

I have not read any Christmassy books as yet - I put the TV on just now to (re)watch The Muppets' Christmas Carol, then found I was looking at the wrong day in the Radio Times....

I have just finished a wonderful book The Winds of Heaven by Monica Dickens. It's set in the 1950s and is about a woman who, when she is widowed, discovers that her difficult bully of a husband has actually lost all his money in ridiculous business schemes - so the house has to be sold, she is virtually penniless, and she must spend her year staying with her three adult daughters in turn, with a few weeks at a friend's hotel in between. The daughters are, of course, all very different, but she knows that none of them really wants her as a permanent house guest. The only person she develops a real friendship with is her gauche, unhappy granddaughter - until, that is, she meets a man in the beds department at (?) Selfridges.

It's a great story - lots of little details about middle class life at the time, but also a strong plot that keeps you turning the pages. I loved it.

Monica Dickens was the great granddaughter of Charles Dickens. Although she was born into high society, she was very independent and enterprising and did a number of 'normal' jobs before marrying an American and moving to the US. She was a nurse, a journalist and a social worker, and wrote books about her experiences (One Pair of Hands, One Pair of Feet, etc) She also wrote the Follyfoot Farm children's books. In America she was one of the founders of the US Samaritans.

My edition of the book is a Persephone Press one, with an interesting endpiece by AS Byatt, Margaret Drabble's Booker Prize winning sister.

Hope everyone's keeping warm - it's Baltic here in Edinburgh and there's snow up where my son lives, near Aviemore.

Frybabe

« Reply #18358 on: November 25, 2017, 02:51:49 PM »
Rosemarekaye, it is wonderful to hear from you. It has been awhile.

I have started reading an old Western called The River's End by James Oliver Curwood.

My other read, which I must start soon, is a new/old series from Elizabeth Moon called Cold Welcome. Moon is going back to her Vatta's War characters with the new series called Vatta's Peace.

Because I got a new Fire tablet I can pick out two free Audible books for a trial. I chose a non-fiction called Praetorian: The Rise and Fall of Rome's Imperial Bodyguard by Guy de la Bédoyère. I haven't quite decided on the other yet.

Dana

• ::
« Reply #18359 on: November 25, 2017, 05:16:14 PM »
Hi Rosemary, I used to like Monica Dickens...Read her a lot when I was at school!  Didn't know you could even get her books any more. Not too dated? 
Recently I read "The Siege of Krishnapur" by JG Farrell which won the Booker prize in 1970something.  Have you ever read it?  It is truely different, brilliant writing, so funny ......."for a novel to be witty is one thing, to tell a good story is another, to be serious is yet another, but to be all three is surely enough to make it a masterpiece."  (quote from review)   Best book I've read for a very long time.