Author Topic: The Library  (Read 1966101 times)

bellamarie

Re: The Library
« Reply #18440 on: December 10, 2017, 08:42:39 PM »

December Library
Our Library Cafe is open 24/7; the Welcome Mat is always out.
Do come in from daily chores and spend some time with us.

Pull up your chair, bring your coffee or wine and tell us,
How You Celebrate the December Holidays
Note the "Topics for the Day" - We want to hear all about it.

And please, continue to share your library news in addition to these holiday topics.
Let's make the library a bustling place to be this month.

December 1-3: - Do you carve wood, knit, crochet or sew?  Have you spent the last year making things for your family? Share your talents with us!  How about a photo?
December 3: - The First Sunday in December, Advent begins - do you hang an Advent calendar or read from a special Advent book?

December 4-7: - Do you always have something special to eat on Christmas Eve?  Or Christmas morning? How about a recipe?
December 6: - Today is the Feast of St Nickolas - Do you do anything special for the day?
December 7: - Pearl Harbor Remembrance - Do you 'remember' anyone who died during WWII? Have you ever visited Pearl Harbor?

December 8-10: - What goes on at your home every year as you prepare for the holidays—what traditions take place-come heck or high water!

December 11-13: - Are you gifting someone a book this year? What was the best book you ever received? Do you have a favorite Book that you will give this year?
December 12: The First Day of Hanukkah - Will you be sharing a traditional meal? What is your favorite Hanukkah food? Is your Menorah a family keepsake or a newer one?

December 14: - Santa Lucia Feast day (Sankta Lucia in Swedish), Do you make and serve for breakfast Lucia buns?
December 14-16: - What's your favorite holiday sweet or your favorite holiday dessert? While reading are you in the habit of eating sweets? What story included characters eating a memorable sweet?

December 17-19: - What movies or TV programs do you never miss as Christmas approaches?  Tell us why it is so special for you!
December 19: The Last Day of Hanukkah - Do you have a family recipe for latkes that you can share? Do you remember when you were a child how your family prepared the meal to celebrate Hanukkah? Who in your family lite the Menorah candles?

December 20-22: -  What is your favorite book with a holiday theme that you must read every year? Did you find and read a new books with a holiday theme this year? Did you visit a Bookstore decorated for the holidays? Did you end up staying longer and read?
December 21: The First Day of Winter - The Winter Solstice - Do you do something to celebrate the start of more sunlight banishing the darkness of the past year?

Everyone is welcome! As the month of December goes on there will be additional topic question every couple of days - We start with our first topical question on Sunday, November, 26th through Tuesday the 28th - on the 29th we pickup and share the next topic and so forth.

During the month there will be special days that we will note as additional topics. Please do not jump ahead - the next nearly 2 weeks are shown so that y'all get the jest of what we are doing this year.

Again, the Library as usual continues with this Holiday/December theme an addition.

Rosemary, I have never heard of Chimamaanda Nogozi Adichie.  Here is a link of her speaking that tells much about herself.

https://www.npr.org/2013/09/20/186303292/what-are-the-dangers-of-a-single-story

Here is another link of her blog.

https://www.chimamanda.com/about-chimamanda/

She sounds very interesting, and I may give her books a try. 

“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”
__Anthony Trollope, The Warden

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
    • Piled on Tables and Floors and Bureau Drawers
« Reply #18441 on: December 11, 2017, 03:55:44 AM »

December 11-13: - Are you gifting someone a book this year? What was the best book you ever received? Do you have a favorite Book that you will give this year?
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

Frybabe

« Reply #18442 on: December 11, 2017, 05:51:22 AM »
Oddly enough, I don't remember ever getting books for Christmas, even though I have been a big reader since I was a tot. Oh, there were a couple sent from relatives in England when I was small. The one I remember was called Reginald Rabbit and Marmaduke Mouse. My sister got The Water Babies. I have, however, gotten B&N and Amazon gift cards to buy books of my own choosing.

Mkaren557

• BooksDL
« Reply #18443 on: December 11, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
     I have three books that immediately come to mind.  I was ten years old and I got a book of famous American documents.  I think I loved it because there were lots of things to memorize.  I don't know why but I loved to memorize and I had a neighbor who loved to help me.  So across the street I ran with my new book.  It was the beginning of my love of US history and public speaking.  I first learned the Preamble to the Constitution followed by the first three paragraphs and the last of the Declaration of Independence, the Gettysburg Address.  Later on I learned all of the state capitals and the Presidents of the US.  I majored in Speech as an undergraduate which gave me more training to be a teacher than all the education courses in the world.
     Fast forward to two adult Christmases many years later. My parents gave me the book And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmeyer.  It was over 1000 pages long and I cried when it ended because there was no more to read.  Then a few years later when I was experiencing depression, my parents gave me Herman Wouks The Winds of War and War and Remembrance.  I escaped into the pages of both books and filled what might have been a bleak Christmas vacation.

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18444 on: December 11, 2017, 11:41:40 AM »
I love buying books for presents but my family doesn't often want them!  Philistines!

Despite that, this year I am giving one of my daughters Kaye Young's aforementioned Little Library Cookbook and my husband Selkirk FC versus the World by Thomas Clark. The latter is a collection of poems and short pieces by a writer who got a job as writer-in-residence to Selkirk Football Club. Selkirk is a small town in the Scottish Borders, an area where rugby is king and football is very much the poor relation. Clark took part in an hilarious session at this year's Portobello Book Festival, in which he described his first year at the club, the cynicism he was faced with, his realisation that folk from the Borders like nothing more than a good moan, and their gradual acceptance of him once he started joining in all the griping. Selkirk FC is not a team that wins, and Clark's poems about yet another lost match are really funny, but he also captures the heart of these very local people, who keep turning up every Saturday despite their team's failings.

I don't often get given books for Christmas, as no-one wants to buy the books I want to read - honestly, my Amazon wish list is there for all to see! I'd much rather have a book than a scarf, jewellery that i didn't choose, or perfume that I don't really like but then have to wear.  But I think that's true of presents in general - it's such a fraught process, with so much emotional investment on both sides. I'm amazed to discover that some of my friends still give presents to their adult relations - someone I work with actually asks her sister what she would like, buys it and posts it to her in another country, I'm mystified - surely the main beneficiary of all that palaver is our overpriced and increasingly inefficient postal service? We only give to tour own children and daughter-in-law, plus our elderly parents (and that's really difficult as they don't want anything - a friend who's mother is in a care home says 'I just don't know what to get her, all she wants are Jammy Dodgers (a kind of sweet biscuit, price approx 50p a packet!) We have decided to stop giving to one another as we both have enough to do without worrying about that, and we'd rather treat ourselves to a weekend away in January.

Rosemary

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18445 on: December 11, 2017, 11:43:50 AM »
Bellamarie - thanks for those links. If you want to start with something short, We Should All Be Feminists ony took me about 30 minutes to read - like I said, it's based on a talk and is really more of an essay than a book.

bellamarie

« Reply #18446 on: December 11, 2017, 01:03:18 PM »
Rosemary, I am in agreement with you about the gift giving.  I really am finding it more and more difficult to buy for my older children, friends and family members.  I told my older sister I would love for the four of us to go to dinner, but NO gift giving.  I have put the breaks on my over zealous hubby this year, and said NO MORE $100 bottle of perfume!  A few years ago, I told him NO MORE expensive jewelry.  I mean at my age, I am contented with what I have, and we don't need the overspending.  Give me a Barnes and Noble gift card, and you have made my day!!!

I am giving a book to my youngest granddaughter this Christmas.  She asked for an Animal Jam book.  Have no clue what these toys are about, but she is in love with them and wants the collection and book.  I asked for the Days of our Lives 45th Anniversary book a year ago, but did not get it, so I may ask for it again this year.  I have watched this soap opera on TV since I was a teen, with my mother.  When my Mom got very ill, and refused to watch it in her hospital room, I knew we were in trouble.  Since she passed on, I have remained a faithful viewer, and will watch until it is taken off the air.  Just the music as it begins, brings back the memories of my Mom and I talking about who did what etc.  I have glanced at the Anniversary book in the bookstore, but decided I want it as a gift, rather me spend the money for it.

I may look for We Should All Be Feminists in my library.  I don't consider myself a feminist, and don't care for some of the women who have been speaking out so rudely for feminism, but I don't close my mind off to reading and learning what some more intelligent women have to say.
“What on earth could be more luxurious than a sofa, a book, and a cup of coffee?...Was ever anything so civil?”

CallieOK

« Reply #18447 on: December 11, 2017, 02:06:05 PM »
Books received as a child:   The entire Bobbsey Twin series, Honeybunch books,  all of the Mary Poppins books (I used to "play-like" MP by marching around our yard with an umbrella bossing "the children"   ;D), and all of the poetry and story books with Christopher Robin and Pooh.
Later on,  I received Nancy Drew mysteries. Little Women, Little Men and Jo's Boys and the first autographed copy I'd ever had -  Francis Parkinson Keyes' Once On Esplanade - from my aunt who lived in LA at the time.

Haven't received books as an adult.  Only my oldest granddaughter is a "reader" and I have given most of my childhood books to her.

I'm trying to figure out how to stop exchanging gifts with a friend who has no family and lives to shop.  Our birthdays are on either side of Christmas and I've tried and tried to instigate a "mutual casual lunch out".  She insists on inviting me to "luncheon" (with multiple courses) and giving me two gifts.  I'm not a Scrooge but I really do not need or want any more "token" gifts and the only "luncheoning" I do is some time other than Christmas because that's with my family - and they have now assumed most of the responsibility.
(Thank you for listening......  :)  :-X  )

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18448 on: December 11, 2017, 04:16:40 PM »
Totally sympathise Callie. My mother is in this situation with a few people, and like you she feels honour-bound to reciprocate. Neither she nor the various friends involved want or need anything - in fact my mother spent the earlier part of this year gettng rid of tons of stuff in preparation for moving into her Abbeyfield home. 

I am not as polite as you and my mother. At work it just about drives me bananas when all the women (note - the men never participate) start handing out gifts. I have tried to make it clear that I'll be happy if they leave me out of this, and I have also made it clear that I'm not giving them anything - do they listen? No of course not (because they are all much nicer people than I am...) - my wardrobe shelf still contains a carton of chocolates, some Italian soap and a decorative ornament thing that they gave me last year.

I am not as Scrooge-like as that sounds really - I get great pleasure from giving someone something that they need, of that I know they will like, at any time of the year, if I see something really appropriate or know they need something that I can get for them, or if I read a book that I think they would like, but all this giving of STUFF for the sake of it is outdated and wasteful IMO. That's why I love those charity gifts, when you 'buy' a goat or a sewing machine or some chickens or something for someone in the third world. We all have too much stuff.

And as you say, thank you for listening!

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18449 on: December 11, 2017, 04:23:27 PM »
When it comes to books, the giving and receiving we are in our element - like you Callie The Bobbsey Twins was an early love. My first two were my mother's when she was a child and then for several Christmas's they were on my list and yes, Mary Poppins and Mary Poppins Comes Back and there was another but forgot the name - found the Honeybunch series for my daughter but she did not much care for them -

What was special, my father always gave me a separate gift. One year when i was quite young and Mom read it to me when I came down with something - back then about the only cure was go to bed and breath in from steam pots under a towel - any how it was Hiedi - loved that story and it had a sequel as well, but again, I forgot the name - remember reading it when I was a young teen and did not like the story - as I remember she and Peter fall in love - my Father also gave me Black Beauty that again my Mother read while I was in bed with some childhood illness - it was the full story - I still have the book and I'm afraid to open the pages for fear they will all disintegrate - and then the wonderful Treasure Island that I did read myself - around 7th grade I could not get enough of adventure stories and one of my favorite poems at the time was The Cremation of Sam McGee

There was A Child's Garden of Versus where I realized playing with my lead farm animals on my blanket with hills made form my legs was the same as the child playing soldiers in The Land of Counterpane

Received over the years lots of wonderful books that mostly were in my St. Nickolas letter and fun, fun, when my daughter's boys were young they chose for me for several years a Harry Potter book - I loved the books and loved even more the notion that they thought I would enjoy reading what they were enjoying.

I always give a book to each of my children and grands at Christmas - always always always - there were other gifts in addition but always the book - the hardest was for my Son-in-law who is not a reader - my own son, who is so dyslexic, there is always books about woodworking, his hobby, and WWII and Texas History - neither of which can he get too much of. My daughter is another who is hard to choose a book for - she only reads to learn something - while her children were young it was mostly the hows and wherefores of child rearing and health issues - now that they are grown I have to start all over and not sure - I think most of the books I have ever given were never read - ah so - but at least she has been exposed to the value of books. Her two boys are ferocious readers. They each gobble down books like candy.

My daughter-in-law likes a novel, mostly historical novels, and the 3 grands are all into History - mostly British history and Texas History also they love Downton and so anything that has to do with British manners and village life. Chris, the oldest of the boys is another who is very dyslexic and so I am thinking there are all these wonderful books that are actually picture books much like comics but with a serious story.

Karen based on your love of the book, I have just put on my Amazon list -  And Ladies of the Club by Helen Hooven Santmeyer - looks like it will be a resale but that is just fine -

Rosemary I have to laugh - and you alos Bellamarie, I remember when the radio late morning through noon till I think the last was at 1: was one soap after the other - I still remember some of the soap jingles for Oxydol and 100% pure Ivory Snow - Dif and Duz - Mom went through phases where she listened and then only listened to 1 or 2, since it was 'a waste of time' and those neighbor ladies, that to her way of thinking were not as conscientious and diligent - you could tell by the quality and timing of their laundry  ;)   ;D - were listening - All you had to do was walk down the road and you could hear the radios just as you knew who was practicing their piano lesson and who was building something in their garage. Finally, mom decided all the soaps were garbage and she switched to listening to Mary Margaret McBride who talked about the virtues of whole wheat bread and brushing your teeth and bathing more than once a week and guest speakers on all sorts of health supporting issues as well as, the newest recipes, household hints, oh and books, the latest best sellers and and and.

Mom even joined a book club where you automatically received one new book a month and had a short number of days to pay for it - sometimes she would try to read the book and then send it back saying she was not interested till they changed the policy and you had to determine for 2 or 3 titles which book you wanted that month. As long as you ordered 4 books a year you were good to go. Fun and games - a different world -now we can get all the free books we want and it cost $0 to join the library. 
“A man should hear a little music, read a little poetry, and see a fine picture every day of his life, in order that worldly cares may not obliterate the sense of the beautiful which God has implanted in the human soul.” ~ Goethe

CallieOK

« Reply #18450 on: December 11, 2017, 05:28:28 PM »
Barb, I didn't like the Honeybunch books as well, either.

As an adult beginning to "take back" things from my childhood I was horrified to learn that Mother gave every one of the Bobbsey Twin books to a younger friend without asking if I might want them "some day".
Friend and I reconnected about  30 years ago and she said she thinks they're in her attic - but have probably disintegrated by now.  :'(

I also think there was a 3rd Mary Poppins book but I don't have it.

Had forgotten about Child's Garden of Verses.  I had/have my Mother's copy and remember reciting "How I Love To Go Up In A Swing" as I enjoyed my rope-and-board-seat swing that was connected to a tall tree in the yard.
Love the idea of you playing with the farm animals on your blanket hills.  Sounds like something I would have done.

Also The story of Dr. Doolittle.

Joining you in a chuckle about soap operas.  One did NOT interrupt my Aunt Esther when One Man's Family was on.....Sunday nights, as I recall.  She may have listened to ones in the afternoon, too, but I would have been at school.
As far as I know, Mother never listened to the radio ones but, when she was in her 70's, she asked if I could suggest one she might watch on t.v.  Seems that all her friends did and she thought she should, too.
I mentioned the ones I thought they might be watching and explained how there would be plot lines for various characters.
Fast Forward a few weeks when I asked if she had seen any of them.
She indignantly replied,  "That's the silliest waste of time I've ever heard of!"
End of experiment  :).

bellamarie

« Reply #18451 on: December 11, 2017, 08:39:15 PM »
Callie, that is hilarious!  Just to set the record straight, since they invented VCRs and DVRs, I tape my two favorite Soaps, Days Of Our Lives, and General Hospital, and buzz through them at the end of the night before I turn in.  Oh how I love hitting the fast forward on characters I dislike, not to mention those ads in between.  They are hardly “soap” operas any longer, since there are so many other products advertised, but yes, back in the 60s it was detergent or any cleaner product you could think of.  I suppose they figured if we women were homemakers, not working outside the home, we surely needed to be informed of which cleaning products to buy.  Tide detergent and Downey softener were the ones that stuck in my head.  Oh and once the babies came it was Dreft.  I did not work outside the home until my last child began Kindergarden.  I never worked summers, so all the neighborhood kids hung out at my house. 

Barb, you made me laugh reading Mary Margaret McBride.  It sounded like a nun’s name.  I never remember my Mom ever listening to a radio soap.  I think TVs were around by the time I was born.  My favorite TV show as a child, was Shirley Temple. 

CallieOK

« Reply #18452 on: December 11, 2017, 10:04:17 PM »
BellaMarie, Days of our Lives and General Hospital were the two I mentioned to Mother.

My widowed mother-in-law worked full time.  She had her lunch hour timed so she could get home as "As The World Turns" began - set out her lunch at the first commercial - put the dishes in the sink at the next one - and get ready to leave during the final one. She was out the door when the closing credits began.  As far as I know, she was never late for either the soap or work.

The only way  I could get #2 toddler son to take an afternoon nap was to have him lie on the couch while I sat quietly beside him.  Had to have something to do while I was waiting - so began watching "Another World".  He was well into his teens when it went off the air.....and I was still watching!

My parents began taking me to Shirley Temple movies when I was about 5 years old.  I've been told that I was convinced she was actually staying at the hotel in our small town and begged to go play with her.   I remember having a blue cup with her picture in the bottom that could be seen if I drank all my milk.
Ah, childhood memories!

Back on topic:     I'm currently reading Hank & Jim about the close friendship between Henry Fonda and James Stewart from their days as acting-wannabe roomies until HF died.

Just finished Dear Fahrenheit 451 - A librarian's laugh-out-loud funny, deeply moving collection of love letters and breakup notes to the books in her life..   I did chuckle out loud at some of her comments - although I could have done without the two vulgar words so commonly used these days.

Am about ready to start The Other Einstein , a biography of Mrs. Albert.... who was a brilliant physicist in her own right.

On a personal note:   Relieved grandmother is happy to report that 24-year-old granddaughter living on her own in NYC is safe - even though the explosion this morning was just 2 blocks from where she works.  Fortunately, she doesn't work on Mondays and I suspect she was sleeping soundly in her apartment about 7 miles north.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18453 on: December 11, 2017, 10:31:52 PM »

December 12: The First Day of Hanukkah - Will you be sharing a traditional meal? What is your favorite Hanukkah food? Is your Menorah a family keepsake or a newer one?

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18454 on: December 12, 2017, 09:38:09 AM »
I know of one book I'm giving this year, and it will probably be more by the time I'm done.  Books have always been a big part of our family gift giving, and some of us feel a little disappointed if we don't get at least one book to curl up with.

Now that my children are well settled, gift giving is simpler.  I give the grandchildren whatever their mother says they don't have.  The grownups are rather casual about it.  Most of us give most of the others presents, but if we don't think of something we don't.  Everybody gets presents from enough of the others to be happy, and no one is consistently left out by anyone.

Some years ago, JoanK and I made a present rule: if you think of a book you've read that the other might like, or you want to convert them to liking, you give it in paperback.  If you don't think of anything, it's OK.We've enjoyed a number of each other's likes that way, but I still can't get her to like science fiction.

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18455 on: December 12, 2017, 09:43:00 AM »
I can't pick a best present book, but I can pick a really exciting Christmas--the one when I got both an X-acto knife and a microscope.  Of course I immediately sliced a bit off a fingertip with the knife, but that seemed minor.  The scar lasted for many years.

bellamarie

« Reply #18456 on: December 12, 2017, 10:56:36 AM »
Callie, my Mom and I watched Another World too, I did not begin watching it until they took The Secret Storm off the air which was early 1970s.  My Mom loved Mac & Rachel Cory.  Mom died in 1990, I continued to watch until it went off the air in 1999.

PatH.,  Oh my heavens!  So this is where your scientific mind began.  I bought my son a microscope with all the plates, hoping to interest him in being a doctor.  Didn't happen.  I'm with your sister Joan, I still can't get into Science fiction either. 

Happy Hanukkah to those who celebrate! 

I have to tell you a cute story.  When I was teaching at the Catholic school years ago, our LD special needs teacher was Jewish.  She and I were the best of friends, we could talk to each other about anything, she informing me of Jewish tradition, and me helping her understand the Christian/Catholic traditions.  She wanted to participate in our Secret Santa we did among us teachers every year, I happened to get her name.  Well, needless to say, I learned the Jewish give eight gifts during Hanukkah, so I had to scurry and find her gifts.  I told her after we revealed who our Secret Santa was, our little talks helped me to know what to buy her for her Hanukkah gifts.  She married a Catholic and her parents were so very hurt, but once they had their two daughters the parents came around.  She told me that she thinks it is only fair for her and her husband to share both traditions with their daughters, so they do put up the menorah candles for Hanukkah, and a Christmas tree too!  I told her that is great the two of them could work that out, and respect each other's faith and family.   

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18457 on: December 12, 2017, 12:28:19 PM »
Just a quicky - when you consider Jesus was born Jewish and we are celebrating the birth of Jesus - seems fitting we should know more than we do about Judaism - I thought I knew something about Hanukkah, but did not know about the 8 gifts - thanks Bellamarie

Pat I bet you are thrilled to know of the books now available describing the average woman's scientific and mathematical contributions to all sorts of disciplines but  to the US Government's space program really shook the cobwebs showing how women not only contributed but are capable scientists.

Later...

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18458 on: December 13, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »
Found this - even celebrating the days of Hanukkah books are included...

Hanukkah gifts for children:

Day One -- Traditional Gifts: Keep Hanukkah traditions alive by giving your children a dreidel, gelt -- chocolate coins are also perfectly acceptable -- or a menorah. Create lasting family memories by teaching your children the dreidel game and playing it together.

Day Two -- Puzzles and Games: Take inventory of your children's puzzles and games and see what childhood classics they're missing. Purchase old favorites like Candy Land, Monopoly and Clue and give them to your kids to play together as a family. Invest in a large puzzle that everyone can work on as a group throughout the evening.

Day Three -- Books: Choose a few books for each child based on their reading levels and interests. Not only does reading serve as a great way to improve their vocabulary, it also provides hours of entertainment. Local libraries make a great go-to for purchasing books cheaply, as many have small book stores where donated books find new homes.

Day Four -- Gift for the Family: Teach your children the joy of sharing by purchasing a gift for the entire family. You can make this surprise as inexpensive or extravagant as you want, but keep the focus on spending family time together. For example, a few budget-friendly ideas include letting your kids choose a movie to see together or treating them to a pizza dinner. Check sites like Groupon and Living Social for discounts on restaurants, local activities and getaway deals.

Day Five -- Pajamas: Your children could probably use new pajamas, so turn this practical item into a fun gift by choosing a silly pair or one donning their favorite characters. Look for high-quality, low-priced pajamas at discount retailers.

Day Six -- Charitable Giving: Teach your children the joy of giving by dedicating one night to charity. Set aside as much money as you feel comfortable giving and decide as a family which charity or charities you'll donate the funds to. Alternatively, you can also purchase gifts for a children's charity.

Day Seven -- Favorite Items: Present each of your children with a gift bag filled with some of their favorite things. These don't have to be expensive items. In fact, you can gather them throughout the year when you find them on sale. Ideas include candy, costume jewelry, cosmetic items, art supplies, snack food and other practical items your children enjoy.

Day Eight -- Handmade Gifts: Gifts don't have to be store-bought, so present your child with a lovely DIY item. If you have more than one child, this is a great opportunity to have them make gifts for one another. Need ideas? Head to Pinterest for inspiration.

Hanukkah is about spending time with your family and passing on traditions from one generation to the next.

bellamarie

« Reply #18459 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:35 PM »
Barb, I love this list of gift ideas.  I am happy to say that in reading through it, I have met each of these when shopping for my adult children, and grandchildren for Christmas.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18460 on: December 13, 2017, 02:20:53 PM »
Yes Bellamarie, I'm thinking there must be something traditional about these gifts because, growing up in a German household these were the typical Christmas gifts - my Mother was the influence in our home and my Grandmother, my Mother's Mother - she was a Wieland and her Mother, my Great Grandmother was a Bescher from the Black Forest area, while her father, Wieland was from an area of Alsace that went back and forth between France and Germany forever and so the influence is southern Germany on my mother's side - just trying to sort it out - culture has to fit into this, especially during the Winter Holidays.

Found other lists that have nothing to do with Hanukkah but suggest gifting should include... again, a book or magazine is included on these lists.

Four small gifts:
        One gift to read
        One gift to wear
        One gift to delight
        One gift to give
Bring wonder to the 5 senses:
        Smell (candle, soap, body wash, herbs, etc)
        Hear (music, DVD or tickets to a play)
        Taste (good chocolate, Tütes of sugared nuts, an orange!)
        See (a book or magazine)
        Touch (usually something like gloves or socks)

bellamarie

« Reply #18461 on: December 13, 2017, 06:00:00 PM »
I like this list as well, and have it covered!  I always give all the females some Bath & Body, my son music, stockings are stuffed with chocolates, books to the little ones, and socks for the daughter in laws and my sons. And to carry on Great Grandma "Reinhart's" gift idea, we always give new pjs to everyone, so they can change out of their fancy church clothes on Christmas Eve, and into their pjs before they go home.  It's been a tradition for years!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18462 on: December 14, 2017, 03:18:10 AM »
Bellamarie - I went back to Chimamamda Ngozi Adiche's little book to see what she means by 'feminist'. She says;

'When, all those years ago, I looked up the word in the dictionary, it said: Feminist: a person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes....my own definition of a feminist is a man or a woman who says, 'Yes, there's a problem with gender as it is today and we must fix it, we must do better.  All of us, women and men, must do better.'

I find this very interesting.

Rosemary

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18463 on: December 14, 2017, 03:33:11 AM »

December 14: - Santa Lucia Feast day (Sankta Lucia in Swedish), Do you make and serve for breakfast Lucia buns?

December 14-16: - What's your favorite holiday sweet or your favorite holiday dessert? While reading are you in the habit of eating sweets? What story included characters eating a memorable sweet?

bellamarie

« Reply #18464 on: December 14, 2017, 01:05:03 PM »
Rosemary,  I like her definition, it does not give a negativity, as do some of the loud, brass, nasty speaking women marching today, bashing men.  We "all" can do better, and need to do better.  I have major concerns with this "Me too" movement taking place.  While I myself am a victim of sexual assault, I worry about how the media is using this as a political gain.  It's sad we have so many men who have acted inappropriate, and criminal and have gotten away with it.  Yet, should we not at least use the judicial system to find them innocent or guilty, rather than the media being judge and jury?  It's imperative, we as a nation put an end to the improprieties and assaults happening in all sectors of life, but we must not allow people to destroy others lives, in the event they are innocent, and are not given the opportunity to at least prove their innocence.  I hesitate to think, women trying to make their voices heard and their rights respected, are going about it in the wrong ways, using the wrong women to be our voice.  We shall see..........

I have never celebrated St. Lucia day.  Wasn't aware of any particular breakfast buns in her honor.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18465 on: December 15, 2017, 10:36:06 AM »
Yesterday was the feast of Santa Lucia - a belated photo of traditionally the oldest daughter serving Lucia buns in the morning with her crown of lit candles - the other is a photo of Lucia Buns

Recipe for Lucia Buns

https://www.thespruce.com/st-lucia-buns-lussekatter-2952941

bellamarie

« Reply #18466 on: December 15, 2017, 05:33:25 PM »
Barb, these buns look delicious!  I love anything raisin except fruit cake.

My favorite sweet at Christmas time would have to be gingerbread cookies, or sugar cookies frosted with sprinkled crushed candy canes.  I only eat these at this time of year and for some reason they are just so delicious with my cappacino with peppermint flavored cream.  I am going to try this new recipe this year and can't wait to taste it!

http://12tomatoes.com/snack-recipe-easy-peppermint-bark/?utm_source=glp-12t&utm_medium=social-fb&utm_term=20161123&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=snack-recipe-easy-peppermint-bark&origin=glp_12t_social_fb_link_snack-recipe-easy-peppermint-bark_20161123

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18467 on: December 15, 2017, 07:29:09 PM »
I've always wondered about that crown of candles.  Seems like a recipe for disaster--setting your hair on fire at the very least.  But I bet the buns are delicious.  I love saffron, and they're loaded with it.

I'm fond of peppermint bark, but have never tried to make it. 

PatH

• BooksDL
« Reply #18468 on: December 15, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
Coincidences:

This has nothing to do with the holiday season, but is an example of the many times a book I've read here has come up in conversation.  I was eating dinner with some old friends, and they explained that a couple that usually joined us had to go to an emergency meeting at their church about some dreadful church politics fight.  One friend asked me "have you ever read a book Barchester Towers?  I laughed, said I had just reread it, and we had a nice conversation about the current church fight, the book and its political meaning at the time, etc.

bellamarie

« Reply #18469 on: December 15, 2017, 10:42:11 PM »
PatH.,  What a coincidence your friend should ask you about Barchester Towers.  This will be my first attempt at the peppermint bark.

Jonathan

« Reply #18470 on: December 16, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
Good luck with the peppermint bark, Bellamarie. And thanks for the idea. I'm going to try dressing up my chocolate cheese cake with crushed candy canes. I'm committed to making one for the family Christmas gathering as I have so often in the past. Everyone loves it, even with the plain chocolate icing. I wonder what a bit of color would do for it. When would I apply it? After the cake is chilled?

Perhaps the color will cheer me up. Finally, at 89, I'll be the patriarch at the party. Just as patriarchy is hitting the dustbin of history. Perhaps I can hold on to their allegiance with the cake.

How interesting that Barchester Towers is still read for enlightenment on church politics. Couldn't that also be the case with feminism? It struck me quite forcefully in the book. I've committed myself to reading half a dozen women's lives in the New Year, and have already started with Sarah, the Duchess of Marlborough. Have I ever let myself in for a chunk of history.

There are always a few every Christmas who declare my chocolate cheese cake sinful and feel compelled to go to a confession session. I'm always sorry to put them to that trouble.

bellamarie

« Reply #18471 on: December 16, 2017, 05:55:09 PM »
Jonathon, I would apply the crushed candy canes on the top before it sets up, just before you place it in the fridge.  Good Luck!  I'm attempting mine tomorrow, I am exhausted after having my two little grandkids spend the night.  We baked peanut butter cookies with Hershey kisses on top, sugar cookie cut outs, and then made homemade pizzas for dinner.  Zak (my 9 yr old grandson) and I went out and built a snowman bird feeder, along with having a snowball fight before lunch.  Oh the joys of grandkids, but boy am I pooped now.  We have settled in for a game of Monopoly.  I taught him how to play a couple of weeks ago, and now he has beaten my hubby and I  twice. 

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18472 on: December 16, 2017, 11:55:27 PM »

December 17-19: - What movies or TV programs do you never miss as Christmas approaches?  Tell us why it is so special for you!

rosemarykaye

« Reply #18473 on: December 17, 2017, 06:02:31 AM »
We usually watch Love Actually and It's a Wonderful Life. Last year we actually watched Pride, which is not exactly Christmassy but it fitted the bill for something that everyone would enjoy (my 90 year old mother loved it).

If I see anything good on TV over Christmas I record it, as I know I'll never get to see it uninterrupted over Christmas itself (but I'm fine with that.) When I was a child and there were no TV recorders, I was always made to sit through all the ghastly things my grandmother and aunt wanted to watch (mainly soaps), then when I wanted to see something they would say 'oh no, the television is getting overheated' (I think they actually believed this...)  As there was literally nothing else to do at my grandmother's house (and you were not allowed out for a walk 'in case it snows' - this was in suburban London...) I spent a lot of time reading (though that was considered very anti-social...)  Can you tell that my childhood memories of Christmas are not ones to savour?!  I enjoyed Christmas a whole lot more once I was old enough to spend it at various friends' houses - I was quite amazed at how much fun they had  at Christmas, and I've tried to make it that way for my children - who do seem to enjoy it on the whole.  We're also all quite happy to take some down time each day, when a person can go for a walk, read or just be by themselves. We are the kind of people who need that.

It's good to see so many people on this site looking forward to Christmas, as I don't think I know one woman among my friends who isn't looking forward to it being over!  We are not miserable Scrooges and love our families but Christmas and all its attendant work and stress is just too much sometimes!

Rosemary

bellamarie

« Reply #18474 on: December 17, 2017, 12:33:36 PM »
As a child the one movie I always looked forward to watching was Miracle On 34th Street, every Christmas.  Over the years I have loved to watch several which Get me in the Christmas spirit, they are:

The Family Stone, which I swear they stole my family and wrote the characters, from myself right down to my anal but loving son, my jokester son, my come what may daughter, and my always there for you hubby, which all together makes up our crazy, fun, loving family.

While You Were Sleeping, my hubby and I see our courtship in this movie.

You’ve Got Mail, it reminds me of my love for books, small bookstores, and my beginning love for technology.  Not to mention the sweet innocent romance between Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks.

What can I say, I am an emotional basket case from Thanksgiving til New Year’s Day, on overload of the spirit of Christmas with family & friends.  I do tend to spoil with way too many gifts for my kids and grandkids, but to balance the giving of commercial gifts, we also begin our family traditions of cookie/bake sleepover, going to Children’s Wonderland, playing board games, Monopoly is this year’s favorite, making snowmen, and watching their favorite movies while eating popcorn at night, then waking up to breakfast all together.  The best part for me is sitting in church on Christmas Eve, our entire family taking up an entire pew, looking down at each of them while we sing and praise Christ’s birth. I know this all sounds like we are a Norman Rockwell family, but we really love being together sharing our traditions. 

Rosemary, I don’t wish for Christmas to be over, but the shopping and gift wrapping is my least favorite thing to do.  I love making homemade presents to surprise my grandkids, I like to think they cherish them the most.  I find myself exhausted and stressed at times, but come the end of Christmas Day, I look back and sigh, and remember all the joy on each of their faces and know I wouldn’t do anything different. 

bellamarie

« Reply #18475 on: December 17, 2017, 12:54:43 PM »
I have to share a sweet story.... My two youngest grandkids Zak and Zoey spent the week end with us.  On Saturday morning, we gave them each some money to go buy themselves something at Target. (This is something we do when they spend the night with us.) Zak came home with his shopping bag and said, "Nonnie close your eyes I bought something for you." I said,  "For me?"  He said, "Yes, for you, now close your eyes."  I closed my eyes and he said, "Okay you can open them now." I looked, and he was holding a small Nutcracker, and a Nativity in his hands.  He told me, "I wanted to get you a Nutcracker to add to your collection, and you needed a Nativity." (I do already have one) I was overwhelmed with surprise, and touched by the sweet gesture.  Immediately, I tried to coax him in keeping them, and taking them home, by telling him this could be the start of him collecting Nutcrackers.  He said, "No!  I bought these for you."  I said, "But Zak you were suppose to by yourself something." He replied, "Nonnie I know you spend a lot of money on me for presents and I wanted to spend my money on you."  Oh my heart just melted.  I had him place the nativity under the Christmas tree, and added the small Nutcracker with the rest of my collection.  He was one happy little guy, and I was one proud Nonnie, filled with joy! 

nlhome

« Reply #18476 on: December 17, 2017, 12:58:41 PM »
The only part of Christmas I am enjoying this year is the time with family, and I've missed some of the traditional get-togethers. Usually we meet up with my 88-year-old aunt for a little pre-Christmas party. My sisters were able to do this, but I had a conflict and my daughter and her children were sick (it's a "girls" party). Usually that little party and all the stories about the past put me in the spirit.

This weekend we, too, have grandchildren here, and we've made cookies and walked downtown to check out the stores and drove around to look at the lights, and played games too. Right now my husband took them to a nearby lake to check out the ice fishers. I used to spend hours ice fishing with my dad when I was their age - so as much as I enjoy their company, the sensation of frozen feet and fingers and nose still lingers 60+ years later. So I am heating up the chili and hot chocolate here at home. I'm sure there will be stories, because they're going to the beach area where we went swimming this past August, and the youngest has no concept, yet, of walking on frozen water. I can't wait to hear his impression of the experience. (He's 3 and a half) Then our son will come to watch the Packers play before taking the kids home.

We do have two family parties coming up next weekend. and that should be fun. We will bake and prepare foods that are traditional for our family, nothing really old. Cowboy potatoes, French toast casserole, pecan finger cookies, my husband's reindeer cookies, my sister's homemade salsa, traditional Chex mix, and in memory of my Dad there will be smoked oysters and hot chocolate. We used to always have anise cookies made from my grandmother's family recipe, using anise oil, molasses, and ground hickory nuts (for part of the shortening) and frosted with a white boiled frosting. None of us has had time these last several years to make them.

I'm enjoying reading others' holiday activities.

nlhome

« Reply #18477 on: December 17, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
Bellamarie, I don't know what your handmade gifts are, but I'm sure they are cherished. I still have a pair of mittens my grandmother made me. And my children have kept the cards and gifts that my mother made for them. The fact that someone thought of them so personally while making the gifts makes them special.

BarbStAubrey

• BooksDL
  • Keep beauty alive...
« Reply #18478 on: December 17, 2017, 01:42:58 PM »
I agree with much of your sentiment Bellamarie - "I don’t wish for Christmas to be over, ...  I love making homemade presents to surprise my grands...  I find myself exhausted and stressed at times, but ... Christmas Day, I ... remember all the joy 'preparing and thinking ways to please and support their current interests' and know I wouldn’t do anything different

Rosemary - you too - I cannot imagine Christmas without seeing It's a Wonderful Life Whatever the magic is in that film, each time I see it it's like seeing it for the first time and I am carried along with all the emotions - it is like the American version of Scrooge, who does not turn into the benevolent character created by Dickens but 'George' sure makes up for it. 

For me I like the many children's movies - love to see Charlie Brown's Christmas and The Muppet's Christmas Carol, oh and How the Grinch Stole Christmas - and if Home Alone come on TV late one night I am hooked.

We usually went as a family to the movie theater to see the latest holiday box buster either Christmas night, if no company was coming over or the day after Christmas - but this year everything is Star Wars which I am not really a fan and since plans have changed for everyone I will be alone and so, I am leaning towards the new Murder on the Orient Express or I may skip going to the movie theater and the evening of the day after Christmas, drive around to see the lights that will, for many come down before the New Year weekend and then treat myself to a nice dinner at a nearby restaurant.

CallieOK

« Reply #18479 on: December 17, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Rosemary,  my growing up Christmases were similar to yours but without the "required" television watching.  My family consisted of "older than usual" parents, an elderly grandmother and two unmarried aunts.  I have fond memories of special things when I was a child but, by the time I was a teen, it had become a very pleasant dinner and then naptime for everyone but me.  Like you - I spent the afternoon reading.

Current family is two sons, two dils, 3 grandchildren and me.   Mother of The Grands is from a big family and their tradition of Christmas Eve/overnight at Nana's was "set in stone"  years before my son joined them.   Other dil's family tradition was getting together on Christmas morning for gifts and a traditional dinner .

I've occasionally had to deal with a bit of resentment that we are never together for Christmas church services or on Christmas morning but I refuse to be a fussy mil so I instigated having Christmas Supper at my house.  We always play a table game and have a lot of fun.

However, The Grands are now 20-somethings and living independently.  Two will be home from out-of-state for a few days and the third has a girlfriend so that's cutting into time together.
C'est la vie.