Author Topic: PBS Programs Fall 2009  (Read 38474 times)

marcie

• Administrator
PBS Programs Fall 2009
« on: October 22, 2009, 11:30:12 AM »

Let's talk about current and upcoming PBS programs here.

I checked my local PBS schedule and ENDGAME, the first program in the Masterpiece Contemporary series, will be broadcast this Sunday for two hours starting at 10pm. That's too late for me so I'll likely "watch" it on my computer since it will be available online.

I also found that a new four-part series "Lost in Austen" will be broadcast on PBS in my area starting this Sunday. The screenplay was written by Guy Andrews who wrote the screenplay for "Expiation," which we saw in the Lewis I series. It looks like "Lost in Austen" is a fantasy about a modern day Austen fan in England who time-travels to meet Jane Austen and the characters at the start of "Pride and Prejudice." She affects the plot and all of the characters go in different directions from the original plot. It's gotten favorable reviews as a wild and somewhat frivolous departure from Jane Austen that is still respectful of her work. I'll check it out.

Babi

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 07:39:36 AM »
 We're heavily into recording at my house, esp since Val opted into the ATT package. We can tape four shows at once, and believe me she keeps the schedule pretty full.  It certainly beats trying to watch shows on the
computer screen, and we can fast-forward thru' the commercials.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 10:14:10 PM »
Both of those sound VERY interesting! I'll try to catch them both.

Babi

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »
 I find that Endgame is scheduled on my PBS station tonight. I don't
find "Lost in Austen" listed anywhere.  Maybe it will turn up later.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

nlhome

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 10:01:31 AM »
I hope to fit Endgame in.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:10:46 PM »
I'll be there if I possibly can. I was there, in the rose garden of the White House when President Clinton greeted Nelson Mandela as a head of state for the first time, and I'll never forget it. I cried and cried. What that man and that country went through to get to that point!

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:51:59 PM »
Joan, that's amazing that you were in the Rose Garden for that momentus event. I hope that you'll join the discussion.

JoanR

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 04:04:05 PM »
I searched all over the PBS site for "Lost in Austen: to no avail.  BUT - on Google, I found it.  Apparently there are a whole lot of ways to watch it on-line.  I chose U-tube since the other sites were unfamiliar to me.  You have to watch it in segments but that is easy to handle - also you can make it full-screen.  I've watched a few segments already and absolutely love it so far.  It's really fun!

Frybabe

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 05:30:42 PM »
Guess I will be up late tonight. Repeat is at 1am (I hope). Jonny Lee Miller, now there is a name I haven't seen since Hackers. Wasn't he briefly married to Angelina Jolie?

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 06:29:54 PM »
I knew that Lost in Austen sounded familiar.  The DC grandkids had it from Netflix this past summer when I was there.  Be sure to see it somehow.  I've never been a real fan of time travel fiction, but this was so enjoyable and just plain fun.  Highly recommended.  I'm glad PBS is showing it in some areas.

Babi, I record here, too, because I just get so sleepy even in early evening.  Heaven help me when my ancient VCR gives out.  What's this ATT package you have -- like a cable DVR set up?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 07:30:29 PM »
Thanks, JoanR and Pedln, for the recommendations for "Lost in Austen." JoanR, I'm glad you found the full episodes online by searching for Lost in Austen video.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 07:45:38 PM »
I'll be there tonight (unless I fall asleep, which is unlikely).

And I'll definitely find a way to watch "Lost in Austen". Rats -- I cancelled my Netflix subscription, since I wasn't using it, and ever since hear of all these great things available.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 08:25:12 PM »
Joan  :)

Babi

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 08:18:55 AM »
 Yeah, PEDLN.  My daughter switched to ATT for our computer; the package includes telephone and television hook-ups as well. We now
have far more television available than we will ever watch, but the ability to record 4 shows at once is fun. Valerie is having a ball!
  Glad to hear "Lost in Austen" is available thru' Netflix. I'll add it to the
queue.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2009, 03:34:28 PM »
I watched "Lost in Austen" last evening and thought it was a lot of fun. It has very good actors and good "production values." The scene at the ball at lots of people. This was not a low-budget production. I am looking forward to watching the other episodes in the series and definitely recommend it.

In the first episode Amanda Price, who has almost memorized Pride and Prejudice and adores Darcy (especially the Colin Firth role in the film), trades places with Elizabeth Bennett through a secret door just as events in Pride and Prejudice are beginning to take place. Mr. Bingley has just moved into the neighborhood. Amanda knows what is supposed to happen but everything is not quite working out as it does in the book. There also are some funny lines when she refers to things in the 21st Century and has to  cover up by saying that's what people say in the city where she lives.

mrssherlock

« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2009, 04:27:52 PM »
Mark
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2009, 04:49:24 PM »
I've got to see that! I haven't yet gotten used to the idea of watching a long show on my computer. The computer chair is not as relaxing as my TV chair.

I was fascinated by "Endgame" last night. What a story!! It gives me some hope for the human race.

That guy who, with almost no support, got talks started. He should get a Nobel prize. If I understood right, he also helped get talks started in Ireland.

And it was good to see William Hurt looking so well. He can dominate a scene in his quiet way, can't he.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2009, 05:00:19 PM »
I mentioned that I was there when Mandela was welcomed for the first time by a US president as a head of state. He must have been in his late 70s by then, older than I am now. And spent much of his life in prison. But you would never know it. He gave a wonderful speech -- he really has charisma, then walked around the crowd, stopping a few feet from me. When he walked, you could tell his age -- his walk was little stiff and painful. But not from his face or his words -- still strong and clear.

He is one of two men I have met who show on there faces and in their demeanors a sense of inner peace: of being at peace with themselves and the world. The other was Cesar Chavez. Both men who endured unbelievable hardship and struggle in their lives and came through it, not with bitterness but with this sense of calmness. It really makes one think.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2009, 05:18:01 PM »
Thanks very much, JoanK, for your thoughtful remarks related to ENDGAME. They are inspirational and giving me more motivation to watch the program. I'm going to check if its available on my cable ON DEMAND or I'll watch it online.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2009, 05:26:04 PM »
"Endgame" does not focus on Mandela: he was sitting in prison while others were negotiating. But you do get some of the sense of him.

Do watch the section after the drama,where you get to meet in real life one of the key characters.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 05:27:33 PM »
Thanks, Joan.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2009, 05:36:47 PM »
The Botany of Desire, based on the book by Michael Pollan, is going to be broadcast on my local PBS station on Wednesday, October 28. It looks intriguing. The book explores the nature of domesticated plants from the dual perspective of humans and the plants themselves. Pollan presents case studies that mirror four types of human desires that are reflected in the way that we selectively grow, breed, and genetically engineer our plants. The apple reflects the desire of sweetness, the tulip beauty, marijuana intoxication, and the potato control.

Babi

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 08:32:15 AM »
 I agree, JOAN. William Hurt is always top-notch. I recognized 'Mr. young' from the "Eli Stone" TV series. My respect for him as an actor really went up when I saw how he handled the role in 'Endgame'.         
  According to the ending epilogues, Richard Young is still active in international politics. And Thabo Mbeki succeeded Mandela as President. I do hope he is as brilliantand wise as he appears in the play.

Frybabe

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 08:47:30 PM »
Babi, I never heard of "Eli Stone" when was that on TV? The only thing I remember seeing Jonny Lee Miller in was the movie "Hackers".

I wanted to check "Endgame" out to see if it was worth watching tonight when I get home from work. Guess what! I watched the whole thing this morning to the detriment of my housework. It was sooooo engrossing. I knew that Mandella was in prison a long time, but didn't realize it was 27yrs.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2009, 01:08:14 AM »
I agree, Frybabe. Endgame was fascinating. I didn't realize all of the details and didn't know of most of the people involved in the setting up of the negotiations. I'll look for the book. The program was, as you say, engrossing. I want to learn more about the people.

I also just finished watching The Botany of Desire and its view of the web of life. This is another book I'm going to read. The program was amazing.

Babi

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2009, 08:29:32 AM »
I think the Eli Stone series is still active, FRYBABE, but like many
shows now they put out only a few at at time. A 'new season' starts, you see half-a-dozen shows, and they're gone again. If you're interested, it would probably be more enjoyable to start at the beginning. Netflix has the series  It's about a lawyer who finds himself,
embarassingly, having vivid, interactive visions...accurate ones.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2009, 03:09:34 PM »
Rats: I wanted to see the Botany of Desire, and forgot. But i'm sure it will be rebroadcast.

Pat

• US 34, IL
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »
Coming to one of my PBS stations --
Place of Execution premieres Nov. 1, 2009, on MASTERPIECE CONTEMPORARY.

Based on the novel,  Place of Execution, by  Val McDermid.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2009, 09:07:03 PM »
Thanks for the reminder, Pat, about "Place of Execution," this Sunday.

Harold has posted in the Non Fiction discussion reminding us that some participants already talked about the book, "Botany of Desire," in 2002. The discussion is archived at http://www.seniorlearn.org/bookclubs/archives/nonfiction/BotanyofDesire.html 

The full video of the program might be available online at http://vodpod.com/watch/2421491-full-length-program-botany-of-desire-pbs-video

Babi

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2009, 08:34:04 AM »
 It appears that Sunday night's PBS show, "Place of Execution", will be
Part 1 of 2.  I plan to watch it, but be aware it is a two-parter.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 12:37:25 PM »
Thanks, Babi, for the information that the next program is in two parts.  I plan on watching part 1 on Sunday.

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2009, 08:31:43 PM »
The Story of Civilization has been active as a discussion group for eight years. We are now talking and reading about Italy during the Renaissance years.

Things happen in this period of history that change the way of the world forever. They are happening again in our discussion.

Come share with us this discussion of one of the most significant periods in the history of the world. You'll be glad you came and you will gain in understanding why we are where we are today.

On Sunday, we will have a celebration of eight years of discussion, and of making our way in only eight years from living in caves to the glories of the Renaissance.

For Seniorlearn members, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=64.360

If you’re not a member, go to http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?action=help

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2009, 04:16:40 PM »
The 1930s is a decade that has a lot of similarities with today. On Monday, my local PBS station will be showing "The Civilian Conservation Corps" as part of The American Experience series. See http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/ccc. It looks very interesting.

Reminder for tonight: Place of Execution and Lost in Austen will be showing in some areas.

nlhome

« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Thanks, Marcie. I had an uncle in the CCC, and he took us to some of the projects he worked on- this should be a very interesting program.

Babi

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2009, 08:30:41 AM »
 Last night's PBS contemporary masterpiece is recorded; I'll be watching it sometime today.  I hope it's as good as the first show.

mrssherlock

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2009, 12:21:47 PM »
DiredctTV has returned Masterpiece to its real home so I watched it last night.  It is a two-parter.  Part one is complex, a psychological examination of an old unsolved disappearance of a young girl. Lots of red herrings and I've no idea where the plot will take us next week.  Think I'll read sdome of Val McDermid's books.
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

JeanPent

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2009, 12:38:52 PM »
I watched "Place of Execution" part 1 last night.  Was quite good but what a funny little man the Journalist/late policeman is.

Sure not like CI Morse or Lewis is he?.  I still miss Morse.  He will be hard to replace but I think Lewis doing a good job.  Hope he is back soon.

Never miss a "Masterpiece Contemporary" or Theatre

JeanPent

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »
Welcome, JeanPent. I'm glad you've joined us. Mrssherlock, I'm glad you have Masterpiece back on schedule!

Like Babi, I'll be watching the Masterpiece Contemporary episode later today or tomorrow. Maybe we can get into more details after more of us have watched the first episode.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2009, 01:27:26 PM »
SPOLIER ALERT FOR LOST IN AUSTEN, Part 2.

I watched part 2 of "Lost in Austen" yesterday.  Elizabeth Bennett's older sister Jane married Mr. Collins! He's got the same characteristics as in the novel and the film versions. She married Collins (for the financial sake of her family) because Bingley was persuaded by Darcy not to engage with the Bennetts. I keep thinking something will get Jane out of that marriage!

salan

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2009, 03:52:30 PM »
I thought part one was very good.  Did anyone else, besides myself, want to slap the mother and tell her to take care of her daughter before chasing the "big" story?  Couldn't she see what pain her daughter was in or did she not care?
That kind of made it hard for me to like her character.  I am anxious to see part II.

I am sorry the "Lost in Austen" is not shown in my area.  I would have enjoyed watching it.
Sally