Author Topic: PBS Programs Fall 2009  (Read 38486 times)

salan

Re: PBS Masterpiece Classic and Other PBS Programs
« Reply #120 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:39 AM »

Let's talk about current and upcoming PBS programs here.

My PBS station has suspended regular programming to run ANOTHER one of its pledge drives.  Maybe it's just me, but it seems like they are running more & more of these drives; and they are lasting longer and longer.  Grrr!!
Sally

Babi

« Reply #121 on: November 29, 2009, 09:19:07 AM »
 In these difficult times, SALLY, I suspect they are in desperate need of
funds.  Contributions to things like PBS are among the first things dropped when the budget is in trouble. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #122 on: November 30, 2009, 09:45:18 PM »

We're looking forward to seeing you at the

Holiday Open House

December 1 - 20

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #123 on: December 05, 2009, 11:10:37 PM »
This week, my PBS station is showing, on INDEPENDENT LENS, a program that looks fascinating.

"Between the Folds": Tuesday, December 8, 2009 10 - 11:00 pm
Think origami is just paper planes and cranes? A determined
group of theoretical scientists and fine artists has abandoned
careers and scoffed at graduate degrees to forge new lives as
modern-day paper folders. Together they reinterpret the world
in paper, creating a wild mix of sensibilities towards art,
science, creativity and meaning. (CC, Stereo, HD)

See http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/between-the-folds/

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2009, 06:35:11 PM »
that origami program sounds fscinating. Thanks, Marcie.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »
Hi, everyone. I've started a new discussion for the PBS Masterpiece Classic CRANFORD series at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1023.0. I've moved the related messages there. JoanP will post some exciting news about it soon.

JoanP

• BooksDL
  • Arlington, VA
« Reply #126 on: December 09, 2009, 06:03:43 PM »
Great weather to stay inside with a cup of something warm and a good book, isn't it?

Do you remember when the PBS Masterpiece MYSTERY series began - and PBS offered us some free copies of the featired mysteries - since we (SeniorLearn)  are Reading Promotion Partners in the  Library of Congress' Center for the Book along with PBS?

Well, we have another book offer to go with the upcoming "Return to Cranford"  scheduled for  January to kick off the 2010 Masterpiece Classic  series.  This is an adaptation of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford, written in 1840. This should be fun - with some of us reading the book and  discussing the PBS adaptation together with those who watched the show. 

These won't last long - we have 10 copies to give away, free, but for the postage.   We'll send them out Media Rate, to keep the cost down.  Just post here in the PBS discussion, or email me and I'll get your copy out to you as soon as they arrive here in Arlington.

I'll post this in the new "Cranford"  discussion too.

Babi

« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2009, 08:36:51 AM »
 My PBS station will be showing CRANFORD and my library has a copy.
I'm all set! 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2009, 05:15:38 PM »
Tonight on one of the PBS channels that is in my region, there is a NOVA program on "Sputnik Declassified": On October 4, 1957, the Space Age dawned with the red hue of the Communist flag when the Soviet Union launched the first artificial satellite. Sputnik I stunned the world and spurred a surge in science education and innovation that changed our world forever. But was Sputnik I really a shock to America's leaders, and how close was the U.S. to getting into space first? NOVA draws on previously classified documents to tell the real story behind the opening chapter in the space race.

There is a lot more at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/sputnik/ and you can view the whole program online.

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2009, 05:26:28 PM »
Next week on Nova, one of my PBS stations is rebroadcasting a program entitled "Darwin's Darkest Hour." You can see a lot of related information at http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beta/evolution/darwins-darkest-hour.html

The program is available for viewing online at http://video.pbs.org/video/1286437550/program/979359664

Babi

« Reply #130 on: December 15, 2009, 08:23:38 AM »
 SPUTNIK was an eye-opener, wasn't it, MARCIE?  I remember that time well. I would suppose our leaders had some idea it was coming, but it was, as you said, a stunning surprise to the rest of us.