Author Topic: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2  (Read 739815 times)

joyous

Re: Fiction ~ Old ~ New ~ Best Sellers #2
« Reply #120 on: December 22, 2009, 07:52:46 PM »

This is the place to talk about the works of fiction you are reading, whether they are new or old, and share your own opinions and reviews with interested readers.

Every week the new bestseller lists come out brimming with enticing looking books and rave reviews. How to choose?

Discussion Leader:  Judy Laird

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't remember anything about the Depression as I was born in December, '28, and was very young during the Depression, but my father was never out of work as he worked as a
telegraph operator (yes, they used to have those) for Standard Oil Co.--subsequently, ESSO,
then now Exxon, but we did not have a lot of money.  My mother was a very frugal spender.
I feel sure there were not credit cards then; however, I do remember we had a charge acct.
at the little neighborhood grocery.   Ah----MEMORIES! ;D
JOY

mrssherlock

« Reply #121 on: December 29, 2009, 02:18:06 PM »
There is a little gem of a book I'm reading now.  The author, Andrew Grieg, is a poet as well as a novelist and his prose is delectable.  Known in the US as The Clouds Above and in Britain as That Summer, itis the story of two young people who meet and fall lin love in the summer of 1940 as The Battle of Britain begins.  He is a raw RAF pilot. she is being trained in RDF, Radio Direction Finding, now known as RADAR.  The narrative, he's telling his story and she's telling hers, has pulled me into this tale because their words are so compelling.  Well worth my time and I'll read more of this author.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/andrew-greig/that-summer.htm
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Steph

« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
I saw some entrees on Patricia Sprinkle. I had not read the books mentioned, but have read several of her mysteries. She does a nice job of moving them along.
I had a very hard time reading in rehab.. and after. I am jumpy and dont quite concentrate the way I do normally. Hopefully it will ease up as I ease up.. I did finish LeDivorce and found the ending stupid.. The book sailed right along and then boom.. just like someone said.. ok, you have enough pages.. Boo.
Stephanie and assorted corgi

Judy Laird

• BooksDL
  • Redmond Washington
« Reply #123 on: December 29, 2009, 06:42:46 PM »
Step  I  am so glad to see you returning to Books and Literature
I know you are having a tough time and its doubly nice to see you.
Hope 2010 treats you better.

I am reading a Greg Isles book and he is a wonderful auther. He writes and
lives in Mississippi. IO am fascinated by the history and about Natches.
Doubt if their is much traveling in my future and I sure miss it.

mrssherlock

« Reply #124 on: December 29, 2009, 06:51:22 PM »
Hey, Steph.  We've missed you.   :-*
Jackie
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

maryz

• Z's World
« Reply #125 on: December 29, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »
So glad you feel like coming in here, Steph.   :)  This has surely been a difficult time for you.  You'll probably have trouble concentrating for some time - and find it hard to do any sustained reading.  It WILL get better, though.  Hugs!

How are your injuries healing?   Are you taking any rehab?
"When someone you love dies, you never quite get over it.  You just learn how to go on without them. But always keep them safely tucked in your heart."

CubFan

« Reply #126 on: December 29, 2009, 09:11:56 PM »
Greetings Steph,

Glad you are in contact again.  Have missed your daily comments each morning.  I so enjoyed starting each day with you.  Do you have the dogs with you?  Animals are so understanding and comforting.  Think of you every day and wish you the best in the new year. 

Mary
"No two persons ever read the same book" Edmund Wilson

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #127 on: January 02, 2010, 01:05:14 PM »
Steph, it's good to see you here again, and I'm so sorry for all that you have had to go through.  You've been in my thoughts often.

Several of you have mentioned Kathryn Stockett's The Help.  I don't like to take big thick hardbacks when I fly, but I'd been on the hold list at the library and my turn came up just before I flew off to Seattle for the holidays, so it went along with me.  So good, it kept me engrossed the whole way through, and certainly pinpointed things I never knew about discrimination and prejudice.

I love it when a book turns out to be a "can't put it down."  And this is Stockett's first novel.

Happy New Year, everyone.

salan

« Reply #128 on: January 02, 2010, 07:09:06 PM »
Steph,  It took me almost a year before I could read anything that required concentration.  When I could settle down to read, I found that short books without a lot of trials and tribulations worked best.  I can't remember now what they were.  Obviously they were not memorable, but they served their purpose.  We just keep on keepn' on.  Time doesn't heal all wounds, but it does make them more bearable.  My thoughts are with you.
Sally

winsummm

« Reply #129 on: January 02, 2010, 08:43:31 PM »
reading in spirs.  I take hints from you people. I just downloaded samples of Patricia Sprinkle and haven't looked at  them yet. I seem to be taking a rest from all the Kindle stuff. since march I've read 84 books. . .it's time.

steph whatever happened to you you seem to be getting past it. good to see you here.  hugs, claire
thimk

EdithAnne

« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
I am almost finished with Julie/Julia and I must say this gal has a very foul mouth.  The movie was wonderful but the book has too many four letter words, and sexual connotations.  I would be embarrassed and ashamed to put all that "filth" into print.  (IMHO)  I purchased the Julia Child's cookbook for my 15 year old granddaughter   who wants to become a chef.  I am not sure how many recjipes she can use though, as she is a vegetarian. 

Babi

« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:45 AM »
 I started reading "Julie/Julia", EDITH, but got so fed up with Julie's egoism
that I refused to go on.  I'm still interested in seeing the movie, but the
book was really annoying.
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

EdithAnne

« Reply #132 on: January 04, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »
Babi, the movie is very good, no foul language.  I am glad I do not have friends who speak like that. I was going to give the book to my granddaughter to read, as she loved the movie, but after reading the book - NO WAY!  

I just googled Julie Powell - it seems she and her husband both had affairs - but still together.  Also, she has a new book about butchering. 
http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news/2009-11-24-julia-powell-cleaving_N.htm

winsummm

« Reply #133 on: January 04, 2010, 02:58:37 PM »
Welll Patricia Sprinkis a GOOOOD writer at least for me. casual style good images I can relate to Katherine Murray the protagonist who is having her 46th birthday alone . . .and then all sorts of things happen.  I am more than half way through in one sitting.
claire
thimk

Steph

« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2010, 06:34:21 AM »
I came on Julia Powell early and read her blogs, while she was going through the cookbook. I liked them better than the later book, but loved the movie the most..
I am now officially done with physical therapy and hope to be dismissed next week by the orthopedic surgeon. Since I had blood clots in my lungs from either the accident or the surgery, I will be taking coomadin for several months. Since my body is not overfond of coomadin,.. Ugh.. no appetite.. side effect.. I lost 17 pounds.. Since I need to lose weight,, I guess that is nice, but would rather not have had all this happen.
I still have problems concentrating.. For the first time in my life. tv is interesting..

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
I have had a blood clot and been on cumadin (sp?). I don't remember if it affected my appetite. When I lose my appetite, I supplement with something called Boost (Ensure is another brand, but Boost is lactose free) which gives you what you need in a small volume.

I hope your regimen is not as complicated as mine was (a green pill and half a pink on Tuesday and Thursday, but a blue one on Wednesday-- I don't remember the details, but that was the idea. -- good thing I'm not colorblind).

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2010, 03:06:48 PM »
On bloodclots: I'm addicted to a TV show called The Deadliest Catch about Alaskan crab fishermen. These men risk their lives every day in conditions that would scare the phoo out of you and me. But one of the toughest of these tough men developed a bloodclot. And he was terrified of injecting himself everyday with the injectable form of cumidin. I had to laugh. I had to do it, and I'm sure STEPH did too. And while it's not fun, I certainly never made the fuss that this old sea dog, who faces death stoicly every day did. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.

mrssherlock

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2010, 06:08:13 PM »
If you have thrilled to the exploits of the Scarlet Pimpernel you may enjoy Lauren Willig's The Secret History of the Pink Carnation which is a tongue-in-cheek send-up of that genre.  Willig has written more about Carnation's exploits; if they live up to this one I'll read them all.  http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/w/lauren-willig/secret-history-of-pink-carnation.htm
Jackie

winsummm

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2010, 10:49:11 PM »
I'm reading a free be from amazon called the RED HOUSE MSTERY and part way into it something about the writing reminded me of Pooh bear coming down stairs on his head.  which is appropriate because it was written by a.a. milne also and in particular for his father who enjoyed mysteries and wished there were more of them. MIlne born in 1882 and  died in 1926 wrote for Punch and other humerus magazines. It is a very good mystery and from the description of the detective I would say that he looks a great deal like Milne himself, especially the "all seeing, knowing " eyes.  good reading and free on line at gutenberg books.

claire
thimk

Babi

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2010, 08:43:31 AM »
 Sounds like fun, CLAIRE.  I'm really curious to read something that
"reminded me of Pooh bear coming down stairs on his head." I'm going to see if my library has it. 
"I go to books and to nature as a bee goes to the flower, for a nectar that I can make into my own honey."  John Burroughs

JoanK

• BooksDL
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2010, 09:24:30 PM »
Sounds great. I still love Winnie-the-Pooh. Remember, from As Time Goes By:

What are you reading?
Winnie the Pooh
Aren't you too old for Winnie the Pooh?
I hope not!

winsummm

« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2010, 10:28:46 PM »
not winnie but THE RED HOUSE also by a.a. milne
thimk

Steph

« Reply #142 on: January 08, 2010, 11:16:06 AM »
No, I take a pill of cumadin.. Actually a pill and a half on three days and a pill alone on four.. Sigh. Test once a week now..
I just finished the Jane Austen book club and hated it.. Oh well.

Tomereader1

« Reply #143 on: January 08, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »
        I must "crow" a bit here.  Last night the UPS man came banging on the door and my somewhat belated Christmas and Birthday present arrived.  I got a Kindle!  Spent a couple of hours while it charged figuring out how it worked. It's gonna be fun, nd since I have no more room for bookshelves or books, this may be the saving grace for me.  I do love the feel of a book in my hand, seeing the cover work, and cover notes, but I will adjust!
The reading of a fine book is an uninterrupted dialogue in which the book speaks and our soul replies.

André Maurois

winsummm

« Reply #144 on: January 08, 2010, 02:01:51 PM »
TOMeREAD ER CONGRATS. IT IS WONDERFUL TO HAVE SUCH CHOICES SO CLOSE AT HAND. IFYOU NEED HELP WITH IT I CAN DO THAT HAVING READ ABOUT 85 BOOKS SINCE MARCH. I JUST NOTICED THE FIRST PART OF YOUR NAME IS MY SO'S NAME. FUNNY  HUH. except for  the e

HAVE A WONDERFUL TIME. I just finished the red house. it was a exccellent mstery and I enjoyed the tongue in cheek style.  aa whole library of thousands of books only a minute away. marvelous.

claire
thimk

winsummm

« Reply #145 on: January 09, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »
JANE:  better late than never. in response to your lists. the following typed elsewhere. I usually edit here with MODIFY. a biggg mistake I know. here goes.
=========
re the best sellers list
I SEEM to have at least tried most of  them the help is depressing my sample told me not to go there.

Dan Browns “the lost symbol lasted two days. . .a good read if not exactlylitteral. but I’m not catholic and don’t care about that. I read it on the story telling level.

Patricia Cornwell GROSSES ME Out.

Olive Kitteridge  so works for me. I read it as short stories. excellent in small doses
Stieg Larsson a good writer, cudn’t identify in the sample though
hVince Flynn a disappointment compared to Christopher Reich
Michall Connelly OK but slow

below more possibilities PUSH  by Sapphire?

THE SHACK by william P. Young
and SAY YOU’RE ONE OF THEM by Uwem Akpen
hmmmm thanks will have a look, several of them in fact. that is what the kidle lets me do. Sample up to three chapters of anything FREE.

claire
thimk

mrssherlock

« Reply #146 on: January 09, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »
A book I read recently has been haunting me though I don't know why.  A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick is a first novel from an author who shows real promise.  It opens with a middle-aged man waiting in the train station in October 1907.  He is rich, the town has his name, and everyone in the town owed their living to him in one way or another.  He is waiting for the woman who answered his ad for a reliable wife.  The train is late, and an early blizzard is imminent.  Many of his fellow townsfolk are waiting with him, feigning disinterest.  Swwitch to his private rail car where his intended is reflecting as the train nears its destination in northern Wisconsin.  The porter announces that the station is 30 minutes away.  She rises from her seat, strips off her silks and furs and tosses them out the window.  Then ashe dresses on a homely black wool dress she has made herself as the train slows to a stop.

This is the beginning.  It caught me up and I could hardly put it down.  It is disturbing but impossible to put away without learning what happens next.  See here:  http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040703559.html
Jackie

nlhome

« Reply #147 on: January 09, 2010, 01:34:56 PM »
Jackie, I had looked at The Reliable Wife at the library and decided it wasn't for me, but then I read your comments and the review, and I think I'll have to try it.

n

ALF43

« Reply #148 on: January 09, 2010, 02:47:58 PM »
Thanks Jackie, I have just ordered it from my library.  Hold position #1.  I liked the Post article about it.
Books are the bees which carry the quickening pollen from one to another mind.  ~James Russell Lowell

Babi

« Reply #149 on: January 10, 2010, 09:12:40 AM »
You're a tough critic, CLAIRE.    Actually, though "Help" is dealing
with a very sore subject, it ends on a healing note. The 'help' triumphs
to a considerable degree.

JACKIE, as intriguing as that opening sounds, the Post review decided
me against trying it. Br"..the most serious incantation of longing and
despair ever uttered in the dead of night."
Brrr.
 And look, NL & ALF both decided in favor of it after reading the review.
I guess I'm just not into 'despair'.

pedln

• BooksDL
  • SE Missouri
« Reply #150 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »
Jackie, my f2f group is going to read A Reliable Wife in either April or May.  I just sent the DL for that month a copy of your post.  (We started out as a mystery club, but have evolved into all genres, fiction and non.)  Thanks for the link.

nlhome, you have to read it.  It's about Wisconsin.   ::)

Why is the name Kristin Hannah familiar to me?  I get book notes from the Seattle Times and her name popped up in the recent mail.  None of her titles sounded familiar to me.  Has she been mentioned here?

winsummm

« Reply #151 on: January 10, 2010, 12:23:01 PM »
Babi  re: THE HELP   I am so tired of fighting that battle. I don't enjoy it as entertainment.
thimk

nlhome

« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2010, 03:13:45 PM »
Pedlin, the fact that the Reliable Wife is set in Wisconsin was why I looked at in in the first place. But do I want to be reminded of the bleakness of winter?

marcie

• Administrator
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2010, 10:01:39 PM »

Sounds great. I still love Winnie-the-Pooh. Remember, from As Time Goes By:

What are you reading?
Winnie the Pooh
Aren't you too old for Winnie the Pooh?
I hope not!

JoanK, I love that scene from "As Time Goes By."

Speaking of Judi Dench  ;)  A new "Return to Cranford" with Judi Dench is showing tonight (with part two next week) on PBS in many areas. Join us in talking about the series and/or the Cranford book too at http://seniorlearn.org/forum/index.php?topic=1023.80. The program will be available online too if your local PBS station isn't showing it.

Steph

« Reply #154 on: January 11, 2010, 06:36:12 AM »
Not ready for doom and gloom.. Book sounds interesting though and I will put it on my.. later list.

Babi

« Reply #155 on: January 11, 2010, 09:06:11 AM »
 I can understand that, CLAIRE.  I don't have the energy for some of the
things I used to do faithfully.

NL, maybe you should save the Wisconsin winter for reading in warmer
weather.

Steph

« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »
I know that I for one in sunny Florida have had all of the cold that I want for years.. Boo.. Bring back our lovely sun.

marjifay

« Reply #157 on: January 12, 2010, 09:59:43 AM »
Sounds pretty chilly there in Florida, Steph.  Don't blame you for wishing for return of warm sunny days.

Speaking of cold weather, someone posted this poem to another group and I got a kick out of it. 

WINTER Poem

It's winter in North Dakota
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour
At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love North Dakota
When the snow's up to your butt
You take a breath of winter
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful
So I guess I'll hang around
I could never leave North Dakota
I'm frozen to the friggin' ground!

Brrrr... Marj

"Without books, history is silent, literature dumb, science crippled, thought and speculation at a standstill."  Barbara Tuchman

mrssherlock

« Reply #158 on: January 12, 2010, 12:10:44 PM »
marj:   ;D
Jackie

jane

• Administrator
  • Registrar for SL's Latin ..... living in NE Iowa
« Reply #159 on: January 12, 2010, 02:01:33 PM »
 ;D