General Book Discussions & More > Science Fiction / Fantasy

Science Fiction / Fantasy

<< < (2/662) > >>

JoanK:
Hi, Brian. Good to see you here.

PatH suggested I give my daughter "Bellwether" by Connie Willis for Christmas. I did, and now can't wait for her to finish it so I can borrow it. It looks intriguing.

Brian:
PatH - - - not actually a SciFi fan, but certainly interested in Space and a great fan of NASA.  I have been particularly intrigued with the Halidron Atom Smasher project in Europe that has unfortunately been stalled by a major catastrophe.

I'm interested in most things - - - except for that which passes as MUSIC these days.

Brian.

Frybabe:
Just before Christmas, I finished up the first four Vatta series books by Elizabeth Moon. I still need to get my hands on the fifth and last book in the series.

My next SciFi will probably be Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. If I like that I will pick up the rest of the Ender series.

Steph:
I have been interchanging old and new the past few weeks.. The Gate to Womens Country is quite old,, by Sheri Tepper.. but very worthwhile. I had read it years ago and decided to reread.. Yum.
Then I am reading a series by Patricia Briggs. It is shape changers and vampires and the fae.. Interesting series. Darker than Charlaine Harris and lighter and not so much sex as  Laurell Hamilton.
The heroine is a car mechanic and a shape changer Coyote.. She was raised by a werewolf clan.. but considers herself as outside the world.. If you like this sort of fantasy, t he author is quite good.

PatH:
Frybabe and Steph, it's good to see you here.  Frybabe, let us know how you like "Ender's Game".  With the sequels, I kept finding myself saying "yes, but..." but I couldn't put them down anyway.  I guess I should try the Vatta series, and Steph, the Briggs sounds good.

Brian, some of the really good Sci Fi writers are astronomers--Fred Hoyle, for example.  You might like his best, "The Black Cloud", which is pretty astronomical.

Gregory Benford is another.  "Timescape" deals with the possibility of sending warning messages to the past by means of tachyons.

Hal Clement had a BS in astronomy, but his books are a rather specialized taste.  They often consist of a series of good-natured arguments between humans and aliens over the physics of whatever disasters have overtaken their joint venture.

And of course there is Carl Sagan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version